• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 25, 2018
7.7

1. Mar 25, 2018
    I don't like Bill Hader, but since all my other cable shows seemed to take the night off I figured I'd burn a half hour watching the first episode of Barry. This show was so good, it made me giggle after it was over. I'm eagerly awaiting next weeks ep and hope it stays true to this first one, could have an absolute legendary series in the making.
  2. Jul 8, 2018
    I'm not usually a huge fan of Hader and his solo stuff but this show really grew on me as it progressed. Hader plays a hitman who discovers his love of acting and wants to quit the game. Most of the comedy bits of the show come from the Chechyan mob who are pulling the strings behind the story. Noho Hank is clearly the star of the show and he really stands out during his scenes. While theI'm not usually a huge fan of Hader and his solo stuff but this show really grew on me as it progressed. Hader plays a hitman who discovers his love of acting and wants to quit the game. Most of the comedy bits of the show come from the Chechyan mob who are pulling the strings behind the story. Noho Hank is clearly the star of the show and he really stands out during his scenes. While the story itself isn't as good as I think the writers think it is, it has its moments. The show also had some growing pains with a couple of plot holes and some characters not really fitting in very well with the rest of the cast. I am excited to see that this has been picked up for another season. I really feel like the show was just getting into its groove towards the end of its short 8 episode arc. Another season could really do wonders for its growth. As of now, it's a good start for a show with tons of promise that just goes through some minor growing pains during the first season. Expand
  3. Mar 26, 2018
    I went to a special premiere screening while in Portland, and I must say that the series really has something special on it's hands. The good guys are funny, the bad guys are funny, all the while the plot remains engaging and witty. Music is spot on and the tone is more of a comedy with sprinkled bits of dark subject matter.

Summation: Excellent
  4. Mar 27, 2018
    Funny and surprisingly touching, a truly original crime comedy with great performances.
  5. Apr 23, 2018
    I think that overall this is a good comedy. My only comment is about actress Sarah Goldberg. I think that either this role does not fit her, or the director has not made much impression on her.
  6. Jun 27, 2018
    Highly watchable dramedy punches above its weight class to produce entertainment that fails only by being predictable in places which reveals that the writing does, on many an occasion, lack depth. Excellent cast elevate certain key scenes allow the mostly two dimensional characters the illusion of greater depth.
  7. May 8, 2018
    I love Bill Hader, but this show is just a cartoon with very simplistic characters. The saviour of this show is Henry Winkler. America should enjoy this wonderful human being and actor while he's alive.
  8. May 8, 2018
    Bill is the bees kneez..! This show captivated me with action, comedy, and great performances. I'd like to make a 'shout out' to Season1 Ep 7 for the amazing performances, just wow..! Set the hook and reel'n me in. GREAT work keep it up, please!
  9. May 18, 2018
    Barry has layers man. I don't know how, but Bill Hader & friends made the simplistic and sorta worn out premise of a hitman struggling to retire into something truly special. This show is unexpectedly profound, the acting is top-notch (especially by Hader, who truly gets to shine) and last but not least it's just simply funny (Henry Winkler is effin hilarious). Couldn't recommend itBarry has layers man. I don't know how, but Bill Hader & friends made the simplistic and sorta worn out premise of a hitman struggling to retire into something truly special. This show is unexpectedly profound, the acting is top-notch (especially by Hader, who truly gets to shine) and last but not least it's just simply funny (Henry Winkler is effin hilarious). Couldn't recommend it enough, each episode is better than the last (except for ep. 7, that episode is absolutely fantastic). Expand
  10. Mar 30, 2018
    This show is perfect. Why? Because Dexter has been off the air for too long. Plus, it's only 30 minutes long! And in weekly installments instead of a whole friggin' season at once! I will look forward to each episode. Great stuff!
  11. Apr 25, 2018
    Barry is a good show. It has great concept and story. I love Bill/Barry and his older friend as well. The only flaws is the HBO's so called leftist agenda is so pronounced. Not only they don't even try to get at least a single feminine beauty, the slow and sure progressive feminism is ruining the mood. Sure it's a comedy but it is also an entertainment. It should be entertaining in theBarry is a good show. It has great concept and story. I love Bill/Barry and his older friend as well. The only flaws is the HBO's so called leftist agenda is so pronounced. Not only they don't even try to get at least a single feminine beauty, the slow and sure progressive feminism is ruining the mood. Sure it's a comedy but it is also an entertainment. It should be entertaining in the eyes of audience like me, especially when you have to pay extra money to see this. Slow down with the lecture and get a nice and pretty girl on the screen. Keep going with the agenda, you won't have a chance against legendary Dexter. Expand
  12. Jul 11, 2018
    Comedy version of Dexter. Morals and life experience it is lowered in a plot. The plot is simplest and transparent. Chechens who speak bad Russian raise only a smile. As the start of a franchize the first season looks not bad. I expect the second season in which there will be more 8th episode.
  13. Jul 25, 2018
    Absolutely phenomenal television. Very weird and captivating. Taut fantastic writing and script. I’m not usually a Bill Hader fan but he really shines in this production and is incredibly impressive. Henry Winkler is absolutely sensational in this and a national resource. I love these performances and all are pretty much outstanding. I didn’t think Sarah Goldberg was as fabulous as someAbsolutely phenomenal television. Very weird and captivating. Taut fantastic writing and script. I’m not usually a Bill Hader fan but he really shines in this production and is incredibly impressive. Henry Winkler is absolutely sensational in this and a national resource. I love these performances and all are pretty much outstanding. I didn’t think Sarah Goldberg was as fabulous as some of the other reviewers said but still strong and very convincing . I think she was over acting and could dial it back a bit. The main take away is the originality and juxtaposition of the comedic and horrific elements at the same time. Definitely worth watching and I’m looking forward to season two. The actor who plays the Chechen leader is also in Billions ( Goran) and his group reminds me of a slapstick Sopranos. Soho was also a brilliantly executed character. Stephen Root always awesome but funny in this show. Usually he’s way more chilling and sinister. Incredible story line. Kudos. Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2018
    I've watched parts of 2 episodes and have no interest in seeing any more. The premise is simply not beiievable as a hitman and acting, if somehow brought together, would maybe be by some super extroverted type of person, not some introvert with no personality which he plays. So, this character is neither belivable as a hitman OR as an actor...as literally 0 of the things portrayed.I've watched parts of 2 episodes and have no interest in seeing any more. The premise is simply not beiievable as a hitman and acting, if somehow brought together, would maybe be by some super extroverted type of person, not some introvert with no personality which he plays. So, this character is neither belivable as a hitman OR as an actor...as literally 0 of the things portrayed. Making it rather boring and uninteresting from the get-go. Could not get into and it was not good in any way shape or form. I did like Henry Winkler in his role, and the premise had promise, but it was not very well done, or believable. Expand
  15. Aug 8, 2018
    A funny version of Dexter that was able to deliver similar dark themes in more effective and powerful way thanks to the ditectors' story telling. It started off as a pretty good show and then rocketed to a 9 for me from ep5 onwards! the first season's ending was very well crafted and executed. the comedy was just right, something similar to atlanta and SNL, that helps get the savagelyA funny version of Dexter that was able to deliver similar dark themes in more effective and powerful way thanks to the ditectors' story telling. It started off as a pretty good show and then rocketed to a 9 for me from ep5 onwards! the first season's ending was very well crafted and executed. the comedy was just right, something similar to atlanta and SNL, that helps get the savagely gloomy dark themes across without really putting the audience down too much, think rick and morty. good use of cliff hangers between some episodes too. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Richard Lawson
    Apr 2, 2018
    The show slowly earns our trust with its zany, disarmingly warm affect and amiable actors.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Mar 30, 2018
    Barry does get good comedic mileage from juxtaposing the exotica of the contract-killer life style with the mundane flavor of the straight world. Yet the comedic ambitions of Barry--which Hader co-created with Alec Berg--are large enough to accommodate deathly seriousness.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Mar 24, 2018
    A bittersweet dramedy that's uncomfortably funny and simultaneously dark and tense.