Bates Motel : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 18, 2013
Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.4

1. Jul 15, 2013
    Bates Motel is the new thriller starring Vera Farmiga as Norma and Freddie Highmore as Norman. Bates Motel is kind of prequel to Psycho, but is it as interesting as Psycho? It is well made, but the story isn't as interesting as it should have been. Despite that the screenplay is mediocre, on the brighter side, the performances are breathtaking and enthralling. Directing wise, but the mainBates Motel is the new thriller starring Vera Farmiga as Norma and Freddie Highmore as Norman. Bates Motel is kind of prequel to Psycho, but is it as interesting as Psycho? It is well made, but the story isn't as interesting as it should have been. Despite that the screenplay is mediocre, on the brighter side, the performances are breathtaking and enthralling. Directing wise, but the main issue I have with this series, that it falls apart sometimes in some of the episodes. While falling apart, it collects the pieces and builds up something shocking. Enough with negativity, and let me go the the positive new things in this series, Bates Motel has a great chemistry bonding Farmiga and Highmore, which makes it great but dark mother/son love, it is kind of wired but in a great way, you don't see bonding between parents and sons these days. But as I said it has uncountable flaws, but much more new and first rate things. Despite being somehow not as interesting as it should have been, but on the bright side, it is a good "Compelling Thriller" AND EXTREMELY INTENSE ONE, as said the critics, it is extremely moving and I will wait passionately for season 2. Go ahead and create more mystery and more good things. BRAVO!! Expand
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    Slow, derivative, and feels like a mess of a concept. I couldn't find myself caring for the characters, and the pilot was an extremely boring time-sink. Maybe it will pick up from here, but I'm not expecting much from the series. It will be neat to see Norman Bates grow into the killer he's supposed to be, but I just find myself wanting that to happen already because as he stands now, he'sSlow, derivative, and feels like a mess of a concept. I couldn't find myself caring for the characters, and the pilot was an extremely boring time-sink. Maybe it will pick up from here, but I'm not expecting much from the series. It will be neat to see Norman Bates grow into the killer he's supposed to be, but I just find myself wanting that to happen already because as he stands now, he's extremely unlikable. Expand
  3. May 31, 2013
    It is good, entertaining and interesting but it didn't live up to my expectations, some really chilling and nerve wracking episodes and scenes, but almost half of it is boring, on the bright side, it has great acting, an interesting but not so powerful plot, some chilling scenes and an amazing episodes later in the series, it is overall good and entertaining but not highly recommended.
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    The pilot is a pale derivative from American Horror, using the Psycho franchise only to get someone on the hook. The characters are feeble, the plot is soft. Let's see.
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    I thought this was interesting and of course a little creepy. I have only seen the pilot but I have the series recorded so I will continue to watch it!
  6. Apr 23, 2014
    so far its like watching alfred hitchcocks pyscho which was a good movie . But bates motel is the new pyscho with a whole new look and new secrets . This show is basically creepy nothing compared to hitch cocks pyscho and its beyond creepy so far . Grade B-
  7. Apr 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdgggdg Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    This Bates Motel requires more than just a one-night stay. Once you slip in you may not want to check out.
  2. Reviewed by: Clark Collis
    Mar 20, 2013
    The most believable character--and the real reason to check in to Bates Motel--is undoubtedly Farmiga's Norma.
    I’m torn between condemning the series for piggybacking on a classic and promising an origin story it doesn’t really care to deliver, and praising it for avoiding the homicidal Muppet Babies formula and pulling a pretty brazen bait-and-switch.