• Network: A&E
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 18, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.4

1. Aug 23, 2014
    I've never watched Psycho, but whatever the film's story is, sure I'll like this prequel more because it's amazing. Freddie and Vera are incredible, the story too and this is one of the best series I've ever seen.
  2. Jul 10, 2014
    The show is creppy is in a good way. I like the way Norman Bates is . We all try to think he is a nice guy with just some "problems" but we all know he is pshyco in training. The acting is outstanding and Freddie Highmore sometimes gives you the chills. Oh my god,this show is excellent because the way it's presented in.
  3. Jun 28, 2014
    the characters are great. you can like or dislike them with a lot of passion. the relationship between mother and son is fascinating. one of the best tv series!!
  4. lox
    May 8, 2014
    Perfectly cast, genuinely intense, smoothly paced, superbly acted and multilayered, Bates Motel is a highly engaging, semi-modernized origins story of Norman Bates. Immersing you into Norman's world nearly inch by inch pre-Psycho, mixing 1950's and modern day elements together, this first season is taut and engaging. The highlight of this series is definitely Freddie Highmore, a young and amazing talented actor who channels Anthony Perkins excellently, and Vera Farmiga who is superb and convincing as Norma Bates. Expand
  5. Apr 23, 2014
    so far its like watching alfred hitchcocks pyscho which was a good movie . But bates motel is the new pyscho with a whole new look and new secrets . This show is basically creepy nothing compared to hitch cocks pyscho and its beyond creepy so far . Grade B-
  6. Apr 20, 2014
    Intresting twist on a movie, that almost everybody watched! a Prequel set in our time. Actors are great, the show is interesting to watch. Season one ended on a cliff note! will watch season 2!
  7. Apr 19, 2014
    There is something quite peculiar about the series that makes it worthwile. The mother child relationship is quite creepy and Oedipus in and the town seems to have an even bigger and complex back story. Often we are wondering whether the town or the Bates family is the main story.
  8. Apr 14, 2014
    The talented and amazing Vera Farmiga is brilliant as Norman Bates mother. I am such a huge fan of hers', the diversity of her films is amazing. This show is a prequeI to the movie Pyscho for those who don't know. So far I've really enjoyed this series, the suspense, crime, nuttiness and drama is none stop and is far from boring. The majority of the shows success will be due to Veras' part, just my opinion. Freddie Highmore aka Norman Bates doesn't do too bad either. Like I said at the beginning, Vera Farmiga is BRILLIANT and that alone is a good enough reason to watch this series. Here's to the writers, actors, producers etc... GOOD LUCK!! Look forward to many more seasons Expand
  9. Mar 24, 2014
    Heavy on story though weak on dialogue, But Bates Motel is so powerfully acted and very well shot, That Bates Motel is one of the most intriguing shows out right now.
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    I love the thrilling show. I watch it every single Monday on A&E network. I recommend this show to everyone who like's suspense. I also tweet a lot during the show and look through what people saying about the show. Every time i see like 40 tweets per 50 seconds its insane.
  11. Feb 26, 2014
    I am impressed with this show because I had extremely low expectations. It's a cooky, silly pretense that could have gone horribly wrong. The plot is not its best attribute. But, the characterization and acting is what I'm excited about. The characters are smart; I love when shows assume their audience is smart too. I get insulted when everything is completely digested for me and the characters are so stunningly stupid, I want to yell at the TV. At least, there is some resolve, toughness and self-awareness in these characters! And, I sense complete commitment in the actors, good for them! Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    The problem with this show is that it's a recycled "Lost," not surprising since Hollywood veteran Carlton Cuse has produced both "Lost" and "Bates." Although the latter's opening episode had some bright spots, it suffered greatly from overt silliness and editing problems. One stark example of the former is the lawman-tinkling-in-the-bathroom-scene. He'd already been established as the curious sort. To believe that he wouldn't peek behind the shower curtain and see the dead rapist is absurd. Additionally, he certainly would have been able to smell the blood. Of course, if he had discovered the body, the series would have ended immediately; hence, any viewer with half a brain would have felt nary a shred of suspense.

An editing issue that readily comes to mind is that the aforementioned rapist apparently only drives his pick-up truck during the day. I guess he walked over that night; maybe it was a full moon and he lived in the abandoned motel next door.

The decision to set "Bates" in the present day makes little sense, since the reason to watch the series is to see how Norman became the "psycho" he was in Hitchcock's film. If the TV series is present-day, it has nothing to do with the film. It could just as well have been entitled "Smith's Motel." Worse, just as with"Lost," this show can go anywhere it wants. Essentially, there are no rules -- a bad thing, unless you have the IQ of a walnut.

There is plenty more. It seems that all the high school kids are super-nice, and the girls are all pretty. Norman's teacher is gorgeous, too, and she empathetically touches his hand on the first day of school. If any of this unrealistic Hollywood pap clears up in future episodes, I stand corrected. But I won't be watching.
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    i absolutely love it! Freddy Highmore is an amazing actor and the show already had me hooked after only 15 min. of the first episode! this show will keep you suspensed all the way until the end. are you way too hooked? the 2nd season only in two weeks!
  14. Feb 19, 2014
    I am a fan of Psycho and was anticipating this show greatly. The 1st season felt like it wasn't for Psycho fans and for other fans entirely. I surprisingly had no problem with that happening. I was disappointed it didn't have that Psycho vibe to me, but I still love the show as something on its own. Its one of those shows you don't expect or know how it will go after the first couple episodes, but it delivers. The cast isn't something to die for, but they fulfill their roles well enough to keep people interested. I'm looking forward to what direction season 2 will take. Expand
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    I just watched this serial and I love that the thrill it serves. The artists both Vera and Freddie give us their best performance. I love it so much and I can't wait for second seasons.
  16. Nov 17, 2013
    The show works it way to climax slowly but in a good way. It doesn't rush things so viewers get to take all the suspense in. Freddie Highmore is surprisingly good playing against his typical role of being a sweetheart and Vera Farmiga manages to pull an act that makes me all sympathetic to her. Bates Motel is a very interesting and unique take on the story and should do well as long as the writers keep it consistent. Expand
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    bates motel is a surprisingly good prequel to the events depicted in Hitch's Psycho. The story is pacy and the look of the seres is in keeping with our memories of the original. Where this series is best served is with its two leading actors. Freddie Highmore is uncannily cast as his resemblance to Perkins from the original film is all too believable. Vera Farmiga brings class and her wonderful talent and beauty to the moher role and all in all the series delivers. Expand
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    Really liked this show. It has potential to be so much better and i'm looking forward to season 2 to see if it gains or loses momentum. Farmiga shines more than any one else here and its amazing watching both Norman and Norma plummet into insanity
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    I thought this was interesting and of course a little creepy. I have only seen the pilot but I have the series recorded so I will continue to watch it!
  20. Sep 21, 2013
    I've been dedicated to this series from the beginning. The first season was so broad in its storyline with all sorts of problematic issues in trying to introduce all the odd characters; however, suspenseful nonetheless. Toward the end of the season the episodes and characters seem to pick up becoming solid, as well as the plot. I'm excited for season two.
  21. Sep 9, 2013
    I like this series! because respect Psycho, make references without copy the original movie.
    Freddie Highmore is a wonderful Norman Bates and is so handsome too.
  22. Sep 6, 2013
    We all know how it ends, but exploring what makes Norman Bates tick is fascinating. The acting is fresh and the characters are well developed. A&E may have just become relevant.
  23. Aug 17, 2013
    It’s pretty safe to say that I was looking forward to Psycho the trailer was presented in a way I hadn’t seen done before featuring members of the cast talking about the series, I have also enjoyed shows like Sherlock which have brought old publications into a modern day setting. Seeing that I loved the original movie and the book by Robert Bloch’s I was very interested into just how they could bring Norman into the 21st century.

Bates Motel the record breaking A&E series tells the story of a young Norman Bates and the proceeding events before ****’s masterpiece the 1960′s film Psycho. Bates Motel to put it simply had me hooked, every Monday night on A&E after the episode I could only count down the days until the next episode.

Bates Motel opens with a strong first episode where we are first introduced to the frankly to close relationship between mother and son. Shortly after Norman’s father dies using the life insurance money Norma buys a motel, not before being harassed by the previous owner. Episode one quickly takes the darkest turn imaginable putting the events of Psycho to shame, so on that front I’m not sure in the already commissioned season 2 how far they could go but if it’s anything like this season I will be happy.

Bates Motel had me glued to the television drama, even though I didn’t care much for the teen drama love triangle between Norman, Emma and Bradley. It seemed a bit forced and unnecessary, I realize that without it Norman’s betrayal to his mother by “getting laid” wouldn’t of happened and then Emma’s character would serve no purpose as she wouldn’t really be doing anything or have no emotional ark but I just didn’t personally care for the drama. For instance their were a few scenes were I just kept saying to myself “Norman please just kill them already they are driving me crazy”.

I enjoyed the overall bad ass town which they created I thought it was a little far fetched having all the suggestions that the whole towns economy was being held up by pot, but I suppose the pot fields needed a reason to be important. Another thing which I enjoyed was Norman’s introduction to taxidermy I thoroughly enjoyed that nod to the original.

When considering the acting I must remark that I thought Freddie Highmore was a great casting as Norman Bates, however whenever he is sad or is crying his voice did annoy me. Vera Farmiga as Norma Bates oh my! Was that the best piece of casting you have ever seen or what? When Norman’s hallucinations of Norma is talking to him I really felt sorry form him, Farmiga was just so intimidating and commanding over him that I could of literally screamed at the TV. The level of acting was great throughout but nothing incredibly spectacular stood out from the crowd in comparison to the fore mentioned performances.

The series had a great script, a well structured plan which resulted in a good and intriguing story which leaves you gagging for more. Admittedly the middle few episodes did drop the ball a little bit in comparison to the rest of the episodes but it didn’t effect my overall opinion of the series.

Bates Motel was a great overall series and I would recommend it to anyone.
  24. Jul 27, 2013
    I watched first two episodes and i liked it, then i watch the third episode, it was fantastic.I watched the whole season in two days! Freddie Highmore is the best choice to play Norman, and i was fascinated with Vera Fermiga's acting it was exquisite and suspense was good too, show is thrilling, it's really good but of course not better than the film, no one could do it like did it.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    The first respectable homage of "Psycho" I've seen yet. The characters of Norma and Norman were done wonderfully by their respective actors (Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga) and I actually felt like I was watching a modern day remake done well. How they even kept the original set of both the motel and home was great to see. The only downside I have is that I feel like they ended it a little too soon. I hope they decide to bring this show back, but if not, I can still rewatch these episodes and enjoy it. Expand
  26. Jul 15, 2013
    Bates Motel is the new thriller starring Vera Farmiga as Norma and Freddie Highmore as Norman. Bates Motel is kind of prequel to Psycho, but is it as interesting as Psycho? It is well made, but the story isn't as interesting as it should have been. Despite that the screenplay is mediocre, on the brighter side, the performances are breathtaking and enthralling. Directing wise, but the main issue I have with this series, that it falls apart sometimes in some of the episodes. While falling apart, it collects the pieces and builds up something shocking. Enough with negativity, and let me go the the positive new things in this series, Bates Motel has a great chemistry bonding Farmiga and Highmore, which makes it great but dark mother/son love, it is kind of wired but in a great way, you don't see bonding between parents and sons these days. But as I said it has uncountable flaws, but much more new and first rate things. Despite being somehow not as interesting as it should have been, but on the bright side, it is a good "Compelling Thriller" AND EXTREMELY INTENSE ONE, as said the critics, it is extremely moving and I will wait passionately for season 2. Go ahead and create more mystery and more good things. BRAVO!! Expand
  27. Jun 19, 2013
    Bates Motel starts off strong just like any other TV series premiering this year, but soon starts to lack in story and cliffhangers. The acting provided by Vera Farmiga (Norma Bates) really makes the show shine in places it really doesn't. All in all, Bates Motel started off strong but ended but a lousy season finale that makes you wonder whether or not you will be tuning in for Season Two.
  28. Jun 9, 2013
    A great plot, great actors Vera Farmiga is excellent), great twists and stunning landscapes. The motel is exactly the same like the movie 'psycho'. I am really looking forward the next season and i can't wait to see what else Norman will do. Thumbs up. One of the greatest (maybe the best) tv series that came out this year. A must-see
  29. May 31, 2013
    It is good, entertaining and interesting but it didn't live up to my expectations, some really chilling and nerve wracking episodes and scenes, but almost half of it is boring, on the bright side, it has great acting, an interesting but not so powerful plot, some chilling scenes and an amazing episodes later in the series, it is overall good and entertaining but not highly recommended.
  30. May 29, 2013
    I personally loved it. I love Norma's character. She is so hilarious at times. Norman on the other hand with his split personalities bring out the dark side of the show. The cute brother just rounds it all off. All in all, I look forward to more Bates Motel and a lot more seasons. Very rare does a series keep me interested but this one has given me the desired effect. Excellent job guys!
  31. May 25, 2013
    Absolutely love it!! Freddie Highmore is an amazing actor, as well as Vera and Max, A show with a brilliant cast. Full of suspense and always has you on the edge of your seat. Definitely worth a watch!!
  32. May 11, 2013
    Great new show! Creepy and suspenseful. Can't wait to see where it goes. Love the taxidermy sub plot. You know something is off when Norman is stuffing his own dog! Keep 'em coming A&E!
  33. May 8, 2013
    it's been a loooooooooooong time since I've come across such a gripping tv series. bates motel has literally kept my eyes glued onto the tv to see what happens next! superb and convincing acting by vera farmiga and freddie rushmore makes this series all the more entertaining. and such a brilliant idea to set the series in contemporary society to make it all the more believable. I haven't missed an episode yet and look forward to the 2nd season! Expand
  34. May 7, 2013
    This is a excellent in every way. Vera Farmiga nails it EVERYTIME!! This role is made for her--it fits her like a glove down to every nuance of her movements. The dynamic between mother and son (meaning Norman) is brilliantly written and acted, it is just amazing to watch the disturbing nature of how emotional abuse really takes place and form between people. This show really gets it and makes itself a true gem in the world of cheap knock off shows with way too much hype and not enough substance. Expand
  35. May 5, 2013
    Been loving just about every episode so far. Great actors and easily enjoyable characters. The plot itself is also very exciting and usually has you sitting at the edge of your seat during the intense parts. It's great to hear they are making a season two!
  36. May 3, 2013
    All the good thrillers were in the past where much was left to the imagination. Bates Motel, like most of today's thrillers try to draw the audience in with blood, gore and overt sexuality. FAILS to allow viewers to reach their own conclusion using their own imagination on all levels unless you are an empty headed twit who can't imagine anything on your own. It is more sickening than thrilling.
  37. May 2, 2013
    Rather Entertaining!

I started watching the show scarcely expecting it to deliver, but deliver it did! Since the creators of the show were positioning it as a prequel to ‘Psycho’ it is near impossible for a viewer to try and not draw a parallel between the show and the movie. Let me put it this way, while ‘Psycho’ or let’s say a show like ‘Dexter’ is a character study of a serial
    killer while the pathology already exists, in other words the character is already a sociopath, ‘Bates Motel’ is a case study too, only difference is the pathology doesn’t exist yet. It’s fascinating to watch it happen before your eyes at a languid pace and to observe the twisted relationship dynamic between the Mother and the Son. I quite liked the Norman Bates here,played by Freddie Highmore, this one in my opinion is a lot different Norman than the one created and precisely for this reason I find him more compelling. For starters he is lot more “functional” than the one in the movie and dare I say more likeable. The casting is spot on, Freddie Highmore somehow manages to look innocuous but you can clearly see the darkness that he keeps bottled up inside him. We never got to meet Norman’s mother while she was alive, Vera Farmiga is doing a great job as the menacing,domineering and at the same time a caring mother of a would be….serial killer I reckon. The worst thing they can do to this show and which would kill it for me is if the writers do decide to turn this Norman into the one we saw in ‘Psycho’. I think they should let Freddi Highmore give him a different personality.
    We also never got to meet any of the townsfolk where ‘Bates Motel’ existed, in this series the town is also a character and there’s plenty going on. I wouldn’t say that the show has broken any new ground but it is treading wonderfully well on an established one so far (7 episodes in) and hasn’t faltered.
  38. Apr 30, 2013
    This show is great! I like scary stuff but am not a fan of the Psycho movies or anything. The show itself drew me in not the "movies". The writing is great and NOT predictable at all. Great actors and really good character development. As we can see, there are not many negative reviews. I would have to ask the negative reviewers if they are blind and deaf? I watch many shows and they just don't have what this show has! The writing is clever and there isn't all this gore like the other new Tv shows in this genre. I can't say enough good things. I get excited each week to watch this show. Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm now halfway through the series; I have watched until episode 6. As long as I remember, Bates Motel is one of the series this season that keeps me glued all the time. Every episode moves smoothly. I enjoy every episode until its last bite. Each character has their own motives in the town where Norma and Norman Bates live. Nevertheless, Bates Motel is not a masterpiece, but for a series to be this mesmerising, what do you call it? Compelling! Expand
  40. Apr 23, 2013
    Brilliant story lines and acting. What an amazing prequel to Psycho. One can really see the development of Norman's mental nightmares. The writing is clever and very suspenseful. I think even Alfred would have enjoyed the show.
  41. Apr 21, 2013
    I love this show. Its full of suspense and tension that has me on the edge of my seat every step of the way. Freddie Highmore succeeds in portraying a modernized version of the young original 1960's character, Norman Bates. Bates Motel is going where most shows wouldn't go and I hope to see it become much more over the next few years. If you are thinking of watching this show, don't hesitate. Do it now. Expand
  42. Apr 18, 2013
    It's TV's best thriller! The story is very unusual yet compelling and a bit far from the 1960 classic horror film. But the real magic of the show is from Highmore's performance. He definitely nails Norman Bates. Highmore has this innocent and dark charisma which really suits his character. In the other hand, Farmiga provides this caring and mysterious personality for Norma Bates which adds up the show's mystery factor. There's still a lot of secrets to uncover and I cannot wait to see more on what will happen next. Expand
  43. Apr 13, 2013
    This is one of Shows that people gets hooked from the very first episode. Framiga's done a good job with determined with hint of crazy character. For Highmore, he looks normal, but too normal that will makes you think 'this boy is creepy'.
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    Solid opening episode and it has stuck there since, good writing, exceptional cast and just the right amount of thrills. keep it coming! From the begiining you are invested in the characters and it makes you hungry for more.
  45. Apr 8, 2013
    Bates Motel is a compelling thriller that really keeps you intact to your seat throughout the show! I'm absolutely impressed. Having 3 episodes already, I would have to say the first was a weak link. It got my attention but not the way the other 2 have. Episodes 2 and 3 kept me really counting down days to the next episode which is very important for a television show. I'm extremely excited to see what's going to happen in the upcoming episodes! I really recommend this show to everyone, it's absolutely amazing. I'm already in love, with just 3 episodes. I love the cast, and characters. Everything is perfect. Bates Motel is something i will be watching until it ends. Hopefully, it stays as good as it is now. It's a classic edge-of-your-seat thriller... Expand
  46. Apr 8, 2013
    Bates Motel so far has started out exceedingly well so far mainly because of its character development and its overall essentially creepy atmosphere. If the show keeps this up, along with the fantastic acting from Highmore and Farmiga, then we are sure to have a real hit TV show on our hands.
  47. Apr 6, 2013
    I want to start by saying I knew this was a bad idea it is completely destroying a classic film. Now as bad as it is I still watch just to poke fun at the little things like the deep fried father burnt to a crisp in episode 2 how is he still living? Either they went overboard on the make up or the guy looked like a cannibal's supper. The power of suggestion is a big thing to influence Norman I guess. What happened to the whole incest storyline much easier to believe that could drive one psycho instead of a stupid book with nudity in it. Why even use that book just give him some old playboys lol. By the end of season 1 I will not be able to watch any psycho again they have completely killed it. Expand
  48. Mar 29, 2013
    The pilot is a pale derivative from American Horror, using the Psycho franchise only to get someone on the hook. The characters are feeble, the plot is soft. Let's see.
  49. Mar 25, 2013
    I was completely into it from the first 10 minutes. Everything about the show is great and well acted. I think I might have found my new favorite show! I would recommend this to anyone.
  50. Mar 25, 2013
    So far, so good. The writing needs some polishing up and the teenage storylines could be very problematic, but Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are great, it’s shot well and the little references to the movie are fun. It could be great if they had smarter writers who could make a reference to Jane Eyre without mentioning that they're referencing Jane Eyre, but that can improve with time. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Expand
  51. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another example of really wanting to like a show, and being completely disappointed. I had to struggle to watch the entire pilot, I was ready to stop at each commercial break. I kept on watching hoping it would get better, never did for me. I am open to an out-of-time prequel, but many aspects did not work for me. I would have liked to seen the storyline being true to the movie, Norma being conned into building the motel. Norman watching his mother in unhealthy relationships with men. This just seemed rushed, buying the hotel and then finding out the bypass was being built could have been stretched out into an few episodes could have paced the pilot better. I could not suspend my disbelief at a number of points, when every female was falling over themselves to flirt with him, the police do not notice that Norma and Norman were behaving oddly, when they were ripping up carpeting in the middle of the night, and others. Expand
  52. Mar 23, 2013
    Still too early for a 10 but the first episode deserves two thumbs up. I'm happy not to see the "creepy" side of Norman or his crazy mother. This is a build up of their characters and what made them what they became. It's about time they give any sort of Psycho re-tell the stylish modern feel it has on this series.
  53. Mar 21, 2013
    Slow, derivative, and feels like a mess of a concept. I couldn't find myself caring for the characters, and the pilot was an extremely boring time-sink. Maybe it will pick up from here, but I'm not expecting much from the series. It will be neat to see Norman Bates grow into the killer he's supposed to be, but I just find myself wanting that to happen already because as he stands now, he's extremely unlikable. Expand
  54. Mar 21, 2013
    Bates Motel is a vary well casted show and vary dramatic, show like this is what get people hooked in to watching them. Well done on the first episode, keep it up.
  55. Mar 20, 2013
    Bates motel had a lot to live up to, and I feel it did. Freddie Highmore (Norman Bates) and Vera Farmiga (Norma Louise Bates) are fantastic. I was on the edge of my seat most of the show. A great thriller and a fantastic start to the prequel. I normally hate prequels, the whole idea of them really, but this blew any prequel I have ever seen right out of the water! Cannot wait to see what happens next, highly recommended. Expand
  56. Mar 20, 2013
    When a show is based off of a classic movie (an Alfred movie in specific) it has some pretty high standards to live up to. Did Bates Motel do this in the pilot episode? Almost.

Bates Motel stars Freddie Highmore (Norman Bates) and Vera Farmiga (Norma Louise Bates) and it is about: "After the death of her husband, Norma purchases a motel located in the coastal town of White Pine Bay so
    she and Norman can start a new life" (Wikipedia). Not going to lie, I had some pretty high expectations when watching this TV show, and although I did not find it particularly worthy of all the hype that it was getting, I still think that the show has potential of achieving what it hopes to be.

The acting in this TV show is not to be compared to the best. At times I was taken out of the world of Bates Motel and back to reality due to the ineffective execution of dialogue; though it was not something that happened often. That's not to say that the acting is terrible; even though the acting is not top of the line, it never got to the point that I was unable to take the show seriously. Highmore was able to deliver his lines the way they were intended (for better or worse) and Farmiga was the devilish, creepy mom that she should be.

Highmore was able to get me to relate with his character: a normal 17 year old boy who never really got the chance to settle down and make a life. And I think that's good; that I need to be able to relate with a character like this in order to be engulfed in the world of Bates Motel. I felt like I could empathize with him.

This is the pilot of a TV series; not everything in the story is going to be revealed in this first episode. So it would be wrong to completely judge the series story based on the very first episode where things are still developing. That being said; the story in this episode really doesn't get started until about a quarter of a way through (and even then there really isn't any "story" yet). This is the one thing that will keep me watching this show throughout the weeks: the story. I am interested in how everything will play out. Hopefully, the cast is able to produce a final product that is worthy of being a psycho prequel.

Right off the bat they do a good job of making the town of White Pine Bay feel uncomfortable and unwelcoming. As though everyone in the town is hiding something, something big. They did a good job with that, with making the Bates family feel so different and separate from the rest of White Pine Bay. The gritty, eerie feel of the town sets the mood of the show, and I always felt on-edge while watching. Overall, this TV show gets the feel that it wants with some creative and intriguing camera-work and angles, the acting is not the best but at times it shines, and the story is compelling and interesting. I give the show a B because even though at times the acting and execution seemed a bit cheesy, their ability to keep the show interesting and suspenseful reined supreme over all else. I look forward to watching future episodes.

--thefilmsurge.blogspot.com/
  57. Mar 20, 2013
    So far, the show is great. I am a huge fan of the original and I have been waiting for this for a while. The house looks almost identical to the original. The technology is vastly improved of course because the timeline is more for modern times. The acting is great and I love how the story gets right into it without any filler at all. Keep it going A&E!
  58. Mar 20, 2013
    My problem was with the casting of the mother. She wasn't spooky enough. Her teeth were too white. She was too pretty. Let's go with a type like Felicity Huffman, a young Cloris Leechman or even Kathy Bates. I liked the boy. Why not set it in 1950 like it should be so it makes sense in our minds? That rape seemed unmotivated. If that man was that crazy he would have been arrested when he was younger. They didn't address his truck being in her yard, did they? I wondered about that. Expand
  59. Mar 20, 2013
    Farmiga and Highmore are really great. The developing of their relationship is amazing, the acting shines, but my question is how long can they hold us to a tv show when we know what will happen to the end? mmm thats a really tricky hope they nailed, because i really enjoyed the pilot.
  60. Mar 19, 2013
    This is a true homage to classic. It gives you this nail biting edge of your seat feeling that leaves you clamoring for more. I can't wait to see where this is headed and how we see young Norman turn 'Psycho'. Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga give amazing performances that take your breath away.
  61. Mar 19, 2013
    The pilot for this episode was just so strong i had to review it at once. This will be one an amazing show is what the pilot proved. The pilot was so interesting and the acting is just great for a show like this.
  62. Mar 19, 2013
    Not a fan of the whole "contemporary prequel" thing, I think they should've stayed true to the cult classic Psycho and set it in the 50's or 60's. Besides that there isn't much bad to say about it- the acting and writing is good, and its compelling and suspenseful enough to keep viewers interested.
  63. Mar 19, 2013
    so far its amazing from start to finish. the actors (vera farmiga and freddie highmore) give it their all in their outstanding performances. its too good to miss out and you wont stop watching it.
  64. Mar 18, 2013
    So far, so good. It's only the pilot, so there's time for "Bates Motel" to become great. Vera Farmiga provides a wonderfully nuanced performance as Norma, Norman's domineering mother. Freddie Highmore is a dead-ringer for a young Anthony Perkins. This is not American Horror Story. There are no ghosts or goblins here. Just one boy's forming psyche that eventually turns him Psycho. We'll see where the writers take it. Expand
  65. Mar 18, 2013
    I don't normally review television series after the pilot, I usually like to wait until at least 3 episodes in, However this pilot was just too good not to review it. Love the idea of showing how Norman Bates became such a tortured soul. And how awesome is it for Norma bates to finally have a story to her. Suspenseful, Gritty, Creepy, and compelling. would be proud!

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    This Bates Motel requires more than just a one-night stay. Once you slip in you may not want to check out.
  2. Reviewed by: Clark Collis
    Mar 20, 2013
    The most believable character--and the real reason to check in to Bates Motel--is undoubtedly Farmiga's Norma.
    I’m torn between condemning the series for piggybacking on a classic and promising an origin story it doesn’t really care to deliver, and praising it for avoiding the homicidal Muppet Babies formula and pulling a pretty brazen bait-and-switch.