Battlestar Galactica (1978) : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 1978
Season #: 1, 2, 4
6.3

1. Sep 13, 2012
    The original 1978 Battlestar Galactica series was riding the wave of success of Star Wars and it really shows. Either one of the two main characters "Starbuck" and "Apollo" could easily mistaken for Luke or Han Solo, the laser beams that the ships fire sound just like the ones in Star Wars and the "Eastern Alliance" encountered on two episodes could easily have be mistaken for ImperialThe original 1978 Battlestar Galactica series was riding the wave of success of Star Wars and it really shows. Either one of the two main characters "Starbuck" and "Apollo" could easily mistaken for Luke or Han Solo, the laser beams that the ships fire sound just like the ones in Star Wars and the "Eastern Alliance" encountered on two episodes could easily have be mistaken for Imperial Generals. But despite it's blatantly obvious Star Wars inspiration, the show is fun to watch.

The premise of the show is that Cylons, a race of cybernetic machines created by a now extinct reptilian race decided to destroy 12 colonies of humans after the humans helped to free their slaves from a neighbouring system. Now only about 50,000 people on 220 ships survive along with one Battlestar (a spaceship equivalent to an Aircraft Carrier) and a fleet of Vipers (Space Jets) to defend them. Their intended destination is a lost 13th colony called "Earth".

Being created in the late 70's everything looks dated now and places they land have places inspired by discos, westerns, fairy-tales that look kind of cheesy. Balter, you're typical villian and his head Cylon Robot servant "Lucifer" are also kind of cheesy but I'm sure it was good for its time. I'd guess it be about equivalent to the Star Gate television series today. The series is loosely influenced by the book of Mormon and the Bible but in the 1978 series it's not obvious except perhaps two episodes where they encounter angel-like beings from another dimension.

The show is entertaining but was cancelled after its first season so it ends kind of abruptly without warning with it being suggested that they were close to Earth but not knowing it yet.

I'm giving it an 8 but it might have been worth a 10 back when it originally aired, I know that I loved it when I was a kid but I barely remembered it until I re-watched the series recently.

There are no critic reviews yet.