Battlestar Galactica (2003) : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Dec 8, 2003
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.3

1. Mar 25, 2012
    This is one of those things that has an AWESOME score, for no other reason than that it's a niche products, and only the sci-fi geeks who watch it review it. I happen to like well-made sci-fi, but I'm not a Trekkie by far, and my review represents the opinion of someone "outside the sci-fi cultist sphere", so to speak. I do own this series on DVD. I've even watched through it all, bonusThis is one of those things that has an AWESOME score, for no other reason than that it's a niche products, and only the sci-fi geeks who watch it review it. I happen to like well-made sci-fi, but I'm not a Trekkie by far, and my review represents the opinion of someone "outside the sci-fi cultist sphere", so to speak. I do own this series on DVD. I've even watched through it all, bonus movies included. But at the end of the day I didn't really like it. It was actually depressing to watch at times! The "good" thing about this show is supposedly that it shows "real and believable characters", that it "examines humanity", as the reviewer below me puts it. I guess I just don't like humanity then... Battlestar Galactica is populated by a bunch of characters with no moral compass whatsoever. They're mostly backstabbing each other and sleeping around. I didn't LIKE any of them! And when you don't LIKE the characters, you don't really care when they die. Which sometimes happens here by the way. Not the main characters of course, but some relatively well-developed secondary characters. Don't take me wrong - there ARE many good things to say about this show! It's very competently written and made. It's just that I can't rate something that depresses me to watch higher than this. Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2016
    I sat down to re-watch the show because I had nothing else to watch and was again truly saddened by how bad it became after season 1. it had an amazing start and hooks you in almost immediately but at some point science goes out the window and soap opera drama takes a foothold. I really needed to force myself to watch the last season which was horrible in every way from characters to storyI sat down to re-watch the show because I had nothing else to watch and was again truly saddened by how bad it became after season 1. it had an amazing start and hooks you in almost immediately but at some point science goes out the window and soap opera drama takes a foothold. I really needed to force myself to watch the last season which was horrible in every way from characters to story to even the action scenes. Nothing made sense and watching the guy Al from Quantum Leap commit suicide summed up the show in its entirety... it committed suicide. By the time season 4 came about everything was upside down and the only explanation to any of it was "gods will." Talk about a cheap way to write a story. This is what you do when you run out of ideas and have nothing else to talk to about. Kind of like changing any subject to Nazis... you know that any constructive aspects of a conversation are over once that happens... Anyway, Admiral Adama was a good cast and so was Baltar but everyone else was either plain and boring or just horrible.

The story revolved around the return of the Cylons (from the original BSG series) and this time they intend to wipe out all humans. The Galactica is now a relic and was forced back into action because the main human fleet was destroyed and from here the Galactica becomes humanities last hope and they run for their lives as the Cylon's chased to eradicate the remaining human fleet. The 1st season of the show is incredibly good. Action packed and filled with emotional highs and lows. You really start to love and hate characters in this season albeit those feelings change to eye-rolling indifference by the end of season 2 and to annoyance by season 3. The problem is that the show betrays its science fiction base and instead becomes an evangelical story about how god controls everything. This was essentially the excuse given to everything after season 1 making everything feel cheap and meaningless, a la pre-ordained destiny. No longer was it about overcoming anything, because god already had a "plan." The remainder of the show was all about slowly and painfully revealing what that plan was and it was nothing short of a snore-fest.

I would watch season 1 and stop. If you go any further, you will hate yourself for wasting your time watching trash.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Reviewed by: Terry Kelleher
    Jun 28, 2013
    A well-crafted, surprisingly intelligent update of ABC's late-'70s Star Wars clone.