Being Human : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 17, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
7.9

1. Feb 9, 2011
    "A ghost, a vampire and a werewolf walk into a townhouse..." Yeah, that's a hard sell. Sounds more like the beginning of a joke. However, Being Human manages to pull off the difficult task of making us suspend our disbelief for an hour a week with really... human... stories. Not your usual paranormal thriller. Being Human is much more complex and more fun.

I was a fan of the BBC

I was a fan of the BBC series, and am enjoying the SyFy version just as much. Great casting and true to the spirit of the show. If I weren't such a fan of "Sugar Rush's" Lenora Crichlow, I'd almost have to say the USA version was better. As it is, both versions are delightful.
  2. Jan 31, 2011
    Let's face it, the Syfy channel is not HBO nor AMC. That's why I was pleasantly surprised to see Being Human is a very enjoyable show. The acting is solid and the cast mesh well with each other. I also appreciate the witty dialogue and nicely done special effects. On the minus side, the show has yet to really hit its stride. The plotline is so far a total copy from the British show, makingLet's face it, the Syfy channel is not HBO nor AMC. That's why I was pleasantly surprised to see Being Human is a very enjoyable show. The acting is solid and the cast mesh well with each other. I also appreciate the witty dialogue and nicely done special effects. On the minus side, the show has yet to really hit its stride. The plotline is so far a total copy from the British show, making the show predictable for those of us who watched the BBC version. Also, it suffers a little too much from "Grey's Anatomy syndrome" - characters brooding into the camera while adult alternative music plays in the background. Still, this show is one to watch for any speculative fiction fan. Expand
  3. Aug 19, 2011
    I'm not even into the vampire craze and I watch this! Another one of my favorites I intend on keeping up with. @Robster who asked, "Is the accent and location so important to US audiences?" Umm, yes. Haha. I know...I hate remakes too! But yes, there is no way in hell I could get through this show in an English accent, and I simply don't get British humor. It really sucks and, as anI'm not even into the vampire craze and I watch this! Another one of my favorites I intend on keeping up with. @Robster who asked, "Is the accent and location so important to US audiences?" Umm, yes. Haha. I know...I hate remakes too! But yes, there is no way in hell I could get through this show in an English accent, and I simply don't get British humor. It really sucks and, as an American, just does not compute. This is a really gritty, suspenseful show. Love Syfy's programming. Expand
  4. Sep 3, 2012
    Being Human US (in my opinion) is a pretty good remake that provides solid acting, humour, likeable characters (just as likeable as the characters from the original) and full of suspense. A great first season that both remakes some of the old episodes in the British series, and creates new ones as well.
  5. Apr 2, 2013
    This show has gotten better with age and has now surpassed the UK version by way of better storytelling. Killing off the main characters in the UK version has massacred the show. The US remake has taken its own road and the actors and actresses have found their own footing...Definitely worth the watch.
  6. Mar 11, 2014
    can't believe it's been cancelled. not enough gore to keep the macho audience going, is that it? this is one of the best shows on right now - funny, witty and all around enjoyable. love all the actors, especially after i found out how little money they've had to make this show happen.
    disappointing that syfy is not listening to a broader viewership opinion.
  7. Jan 23, 2011
    I've never seen the british version but considering how hokey some of the original Syfy shows can be, our family thought it was well written, directed and acted and felt the plot was a very good beginning.
  8. Feb 10, 2011
    Even though I am English I have never actually seen the English version but I have gotten into the American version. The acting is good, the writing is good and as some have already said this is a great addition to SyFi who do show some crap!
  9. May 19, 2011
    A enjoyable show with good acting, and enjoyable characters that really compliment each other, while it can be a little cheesy at times, it's still really unique, this show won't be good for others, but it will gather a lot of fans.
  10. Mar 23, 2011
    One of the favorite new shows around the house. Great show, we watch this and Supernatural, AFV, Tosh.0 and Family Guy. Thanks Syfy for finally getting a show I can enjoy. And the British version is not nearly as engrossing at the american.
  11. Jan 16, 2012
    I had never heard of this show before I stumbled across it on Netflix last night. Figured what the hey, I'll check it out. Ended up getting really into the show, really enjoy it. And apparently just in time for season 2 which airs tonight. :)
  12. Mar 8, 2016
  13. Jun 21, 2012
    The premise of this show sounds goofy: A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost living together. However, the writing is really quite good and so is the acting. I feel like this show has been terribly overlooked by people. I haven't seen the BBC version so I can't compare them, but everyone at my house really enjoys this show.
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    I know some fans dislike this version because it came way after the UK version and it is said to be "not as good" but I truly love it. I think it's well written, emotional, and witty. The characters are insanely loveable even when they make huge mistakes and it always keeps going. I think it is exactly what a werewolf/vampire tv show should be.
  15. Nov 4, 2014
    I can't speak for the UK version as I've not watched it to this date, but this show is alright. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely far from the worst that has aired. The first three seasons I think were much better than four, and of course five rather seemed dull to me. You definitely see some sad parts during the series and it's worth watching if you've yet to see it. The kindI can't speak for the UK version as I've not watched it to this date, but this show is alright. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's definitely far from the worst that has aired. The first three seasons I think were much better than four, and of course five rather seemed dull to me. You definitely see some sad parts during the series and it's worth watching if you've yet to see it. The kind of back and forth can make the show hard to watch at some points, and of course I always hate when shows go back to black & white as I personally find those the hardest to watch. Overall it's a decent series and you should watch it if you've never saw it before. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jan 31, 2011
    The ghost (Meaghan Rath), the vampire (Sam Witwer), and the werewolf (Sam Huntington) continue to work out their angst-addled yearnings to be human in this more neurotic version of the U.K. TV series.
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jan 18, 2011
    All in all it's a pretty deft mix of violence, pathos and ethos via a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost as roomies.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jan 18, 2011
    For fans of the original, which is only a few years old, this Americanization may be a bit like going to see a road company version of a Broadway show: It's pretty good but definitely less morose (for some viewers that will be an improvement, for others it will be a betrayal).