• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 25, 2012
6.5

1. Oct 28, 2012
    The show feels fresh and has a likable cast. Maybe Dakota Johnson as Kate is a bit too nice, but Lucy Punch gives the show enough bite. The episodes usually start out with an idea that's funny, having the potential for good comedy. Sadly, the stories sometimes loose momentum and start stalling towards the end because the good setup isn't followed by a plot that's leading to a climacticThe show feels fresh and has a likable cast. Maybe Dakota Johnson as Kate is a bit too nice, but Lucy Punch gives the show enough bite. The episodes usually start out with an idea that's funny, having the potential for good comedy. Sadly, the stories sometimes loose momentum and start stalling towards the end because the good setup isn't followed by a plot that's leading to a climactic finale. I these cases I missed some kind of punchline at the end, leaving me with a "meh" feeling. Furthermore, while the dialogues can be quite funny, the discussions between Ben and Kate about "serious" issues feel so phony, they bring a scene to a standstill. Usually Kate tries to explain why she can't or must do something because she's a mother. It's supposed to sound serious and earnest, but it's usually silly, because even mothers go to parties and have fun and they don't exercise emergency drills at home.

Ben & Kate is a decent show and has it's share of fun, but it has some weaknesses, which can be fixed and I hope they do.
    I, for one, will watch the upcoming episodes because I have hope for this show and Lucy Punch is giving us some really funny stuff.
    And to the writers: Having Ben crying loudly in front of a bathroom mirror at the end might be funny to some people, others will call it plain weird and a little creepy.
  2. Sep 27, 2012
    Pretty decent. Kind of like a Dumb and Dumber for grown ups. The writing seemed better than the acting. Half-way honest, and less formulated than most ... but a little too hokey.

1. Reviewed by: Sean Higgins
    Oct 31, 2012
    In spite of Ben and Kate's charms, its propensity for subduing the idiosyncrasies of its characters in the service of a simple emotional payoff makes it disappointing.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 22, 2012
    Johnson is the find of the season: She's the sunbeam that doesn't filter out dust motes. [29 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Lori Rackl
    Sep 25, 2012
    It's another welcome helping of "New Girl" adorkability.