7.2

1. Dec 14, 2013
    I had hoped this show would improve after the pilot, which was a little shaky. But no. In fact, it actually got worse. The characters are completely unlikeable. Imagine Entourage without the charm (which is really saying something). I was hard pressed to care in the slightest what happens to any of them.

The writers of Betas seem to think comedy stems from having their characters say
    the most crude and insensitive things possible with nonchalant bravado as quickly as possible. They also seem to think that strong female characters are simply female characters who are just as misogynistic as their male counterparts.

And it's not that I "don't get it" I am firmly in the target demographic. I understand all the geeky references about startups and MySpace etc. I really wanted to like this show because it's a great concept. It's just a shame it's SO charmless. Think Entourage with Aspergers.
  2. Jan 4, 2014
    After watching Betas first season ...and though I am NOT (perhaps) in the "target demographic" (older female) I find this show to be disarmingly touching.

The characters are fleshing out and the journey they are on, seems to me to be closer to being ones of parallel Don Quixotes...I am curious how these separate paths will converge.

I want to see more.
  3. Nov 23, 2013
    The pilot was surprisingly promising. An underdog story, but the underdogs are app programmers in a world of it-geeks. So, there is no traditional juxtaposition of geeks versus jocks. I really want their app to succeed; that's all that matters at this point (that's a hook, which Alpha House lacks). There were story-lines tangential to the main one that I was much less interested in, but this is just a beginning. Hopefully, the show will find its focus and heart through the humor as it develops. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2014
    Likable and entertaining, "betas" is a more conventional version of HBO's "Silicon Valley."

In some ways the show is more accessible to a general audience than it's pay-cable rival and well worth the download.

I don't know the metric by which Amazon is judging its originals but since this series didn't get a second season pick-up - I think they're doing it wrong.

1. Reviewed by: Erik Adams
    Nov 27, 2013
    Betas’ aspirational spirit can be invigorating, but it’s yet to find a unique perspective on the setting that was the winningest part of its pilot.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Nov 22, 2013
    Betas brims with raunch, perhaps in the belief that it is key to hooking younger viewers.­
  3. The show crackles with witty (and jargony) banter and mostly succeeds at making its tech world fun and engaging -- something Randi Zuckerberg's "Start-Up: Silicon Valley" reality series too often failed to do. But the problem with Betas is that it's an uneven endeavor that's just good enough to make you wish it were better.