Big Day : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Nov 28, 2006
7.5

1. MikeL
    Jan 2, 2007
    WARNING: This show is painfull to watch. I can't think of ANYTHING nice to say about this show. Mix bad soap opera acting with Malcom in the Middle'esque slapstic, and add numerous borrowed [or stolen] elements from a handfull of other "dumb but cute" movies, and the end result is one of the most painfully unfunny television shows you will ever see. Or if you're lucky you WARNING: This show is painfull to watch. I can't think of ANYTHING nice to say about this show. Mix bad soap opera acting with Malcom in the Middle'esque slapstic, and add numerous borrowed [or stolen] elements from a handfull of other "dumb but cute" movies, and the end result is one of the most painfully unfunny television shows you will ever see. Or if you're lucky you won't see it at all. The characters are all horribly hollow typecast chiches, and if that's not bad enough, the actors who play the characters just outright suck. The absolute worst character: Miriam Schor as "Becca." She's supposed to be this cleptomaniac goth girl, but her terrible acting skills mixed with her "younger side of age 36 looks" don't exactly cut it for the role she's supposed to play. Expand
  2. TimB
    Dec 12, 2006
    I really had no plans to watch this, but the TV was on, it came on, and so I started watching. My mistake. The characters were truly and genuinely unlikeable, the situations that arose were annoying, and the comedy---well it just wasn't funny. I know I have high standards, but funny is something I generally demand out of something presented as "comedy." Bad.
  3. PaulS
    Dec 11, 2006
    Bad copy of the BBC's "Worst Week of My Life" (right down to the best man sleeping with the sister).

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Gillian Flynn
    Big Day has no likable characters. [1 Dec 2006, p.72]
  2. Husband-and-wife team Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa pack the half-hour with oddball characters, zany circumstances and loads of physical comedy, but it's all grounded in enough reality to be utterly believable and irrepressibly funny.
    Big Day should be retitled "The Longest Day," as it spends an entire season showing us how many dreadfully unfunny complications can spoil a single wedding day.