Big Love : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.4

1. TVFreek
    Jun 14, 2007
    An entertaining and often funny show that makes its characters very relatable. It's sad that all of these people are ranking the show so low have obviously never seen it- if they had, they'd know that the central characters have to be quite secretive about their lifestyles because the LDS church condemns polygamy. This is made clear during almost every episode. There are indeed An entertaining and often funny show that makes its characters very relatable. It's sad that all of these people are ranking the show so low have obviously never seen it- if they had, they'd know that the central characters have to be quite secretive about their lifestyles because the LDS church condemns polygamy. This is made clear during almost every episode. There are indeed Mormon sects who continue to practice polygamy outside of the mainstream and the central family of Big Love is certainly portrayed as such Expand
  2. JackS.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Big Love is a great show, very well written and acted. It is fascinating on many levels.
  3. Nick
    Jun 13, 2007
    The show is engaging and smartly written. This fits well within the paradigm of other HBO shows such as The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, though the context is very different and the results are not as rewarding. Those of you complaining about how the show portrays members of LDS are obviously not paying attention. The show goes to great lengths in the first season to explain that LDS The show is engaging and smartly written. This fits well within the paradigm of other HBO shows such as The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, though the context is very different and the results are not as rewarding. Those of you complaining about how the show portrays members of LDS are obviously not paying attention. The show goes to great lengths in the first season to explain that LDS outlawed polygamy years ago. The show makes it entirely clear that this family does not fit within social norms, including those of their church. If you are this easily offended by complex subject matter, I'm surprised that you watch HBO at all. Expand
  4. michael
    Jun 13, 2007
    I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and i have 2 wives... this show is so realistic and its helped make my relationships stronger than ever. keep up the good work. finally an honest voice our cause.
  5. RyanR
    Jun 14, 2007
    Hmmm -- Could Mike B., Hilary B., and E. B. all be the same person?? HBO features a disclaimer before each episode stating that the Mormon Church officially banned the practice of polygamy in 1890 (which does not negate the fact that 20,000 to 40,000 or more people currently practice polygamy in the United States, according a 2005 joint report published by the Utah & Arizona Attorney Hmmm -- Could Mike B., Hilary B., and E. B. all be the same person?? HBO features a disclaimer before each episode stating that the Mormon Church officially banned the practice of polygamy in 1890 (which does not negate the fact that 20,000 to 40,000 or more people currently practice polygamy in the United States, according a 2005 joint report published by the Utah & Arizona Attorney General's offices.) The simple reason why Big Love is back for a second season is because it is both wonderfully acted and scripted. Don't miss it! Expand
  6. steve
    Jun 14, 2007
    A superbly acted and well written show, unfairly targeted by fundamentalists who have never watched it. The very first episode of Big Love clearly stated that The Mormon Church banned polygamy in 1890, and that approx 20-40k people practice polygamy in the US. Anyone voting it a 0 because it 'portrays Mormons incorrectly' has obviously never watched the show.
  7. MLewingard
    Jun 15, 2007
    The show is really taking off. Outdoing season one with real drama and a mature storytelling approach.
  8. AlanS
    Jun 16, 2007
    Great family drama. Not your average family. So what?
  9. Ally
    Jul 26, 2007
    Love it!
  10. MarkT
    Jun 12, 2007
    This show is great! Perhaps the LDS folks don't like it, but they're biased. Well written, and great performances.
  11. JackB
    Jun 12, 2007
    The first episode of season two wasn't as entertaining as season one, but the show is still entertaining. The people giving it a 0 rating clearly haven't even watched the show because Big Love definitely does not imply that all Mormons are polygamists.
  12. BrandonM.
    Jun 12, 2007
    Even though the subject matter may be polarizing, calling this a "piece of trash" is just way out of line. Easily one of the best shows on television, if only for the fact that it is daring and different.
  13. LawrenceM
    Jun 13, 2007
    this show is brilliant, and no amount of astroturfing by disgruntled LDS members will make me thing otherwise. The show doesn't proclaim that these people are mormons, for heaven's sake ... quit being so overly sensitive! Great show.
  14. Jakers19
    Jun 13, 2007
    I prefer not to give 10s because there is always room for improvement. I have been hooked on this show since season 1, episode 1. Not being a member of LDS nor Mormon fundamentalist, I find the shows very interesting and it has sparked me to examine the history of both from many resources. So perhaps some feel that the shows reflects poorly upon LDS and that it generalizes, but it is I prefer not to give 10s because there is always room for improvement. I have been hooked on this show since season 1, episode 1. Not being a member of LDS nor Mormon fundamentalist, I find the shows very interesting and it has sparked me to examine the history of both from many resources. So perhaps some feel that the shows reflects poorly upon LDS and that it generalizes, but it is quite the opposite -- Big Love created many questions for me and I have used that springboard to educate myself better. Aside from all of that, the show is extremely well written and the cast is amazing. Producers Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg are not known for 'just throwing something together' without regard to the subject matter at hand. The shows examines the very specialized situation of the Hendrickson family and how they function in the triangle of modern American non-Mormon society, the reformed Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, and the Mormon fundamentalist sects that they have ties with. The amazing things is that they present all of this information that many of us have no knowledge of and does so without making judgment. True, characters judge within the show, but the show does not judge. I understand that reviewers have the right to rate a zero. Fine, you don't like the show. Don't watch the show. To continue on to "beg to cancel the show" is a bit selfish, as your viewpoint is yours. I disagree with many things, but I do not propose that they be completely extinguished - I show my disapproval by not supporting it in any way. If enough people have the same take, then it will disappear and be forgotten. Expand
  15. DavidS
    Jun 13, 2007
    This show portrays mormon life perfectly- it is full of heartbreaking truths, and spiritual connections. Awesome.
  16. KeithC
    Sensational.
  17. nicm
    Jun 15, 2007
    i've never even seen it, but it's getting a 9 because the other three people who have written about it hate it because they are offended. that's awesome. 9 awesome. awesome. the commercial is cool, i guess.
  18. BillPaxton
    Jun 17, 2007
    As we all know true members of the LDS do not practice polygamy. Unfortunately for some viewers they do not realize that the show says Fundamentalist LDS practice polygamy. They are missing a fantastic show that displays all types of emotion.
  19. karenm
    Jul 30, 2007
    It is as close to the real thing as it gets good job..
  20. Mike
    Aug 28, 2007
    Big love is excellent! more provocative and enlightening than any other show on tv! as a side note Maureen ryan is a moron. her reviews read like a high school blogger. she prefers mind numbing shows like entourage and flight of the concords over big love.
  21. AndreiR
    Jun 12, 2007
    This show is actually pretty good. I think the other people who have made comments obviously have never seen the show, or they would know that the polygamist family is actually portrayed as outcasts within the LDS community and the need to hide their lifestyle from everyone, even those who they consider friends. There's a lot of conflicting parties working to achieve different goals This show is actually pretty good. I think the other people who have made comments obviously have never seen the show, or they would know that the polygamist family is actually portrayed as outcasts within the LDS community and the need to hide their lifestyle from everyone, even those who they consider friends. There's a lot of conflicting parties working to achieve different goals in this drama. At times the show fails to generate sympathy for it's protagonists, but the show should definitely not be dismissed as "trash." Expand
  22. BrianH
    Jun 12, 2007
    Great show portraying the trials of a non-traditional American family with a strong ensemble cast (HBO's speciality). To the paranoid Mormons, we all realize it is FICTION, so stop giving it low ratings because of you insecuriteies about how others view your faith. It is entertainment.
  23. JimS.
    Jun 12, 2007
    This show is GREAT! Don't listen to the lock-step LDS nay-sayers.
  24. RyT
    Jun 12, 2007
    Oh please, to those who already commented. It's just a TV show, you need to learn how to not take everything so seriously. Yes, that includes religion, if you don't want to see it, just don't watch it. I happen to like it. Learn to be objective.
  25. Andy
    Jun 15, 2007
    I wonder if all the negative ratings come from the same church group...
  26. JenS
    Jun 15, 2007
    It's a tv drama, not a documentary -- good fun for adults. And it makes me glad there are only two of us in our marriage!
  27. BrianT
    Jun 15, 2007
    Excellent drama - it takes family drama to a new level.
  28. BZ
    Jun 24, 2007
    A Shyer but Rawer version of "Desperate Housewives". Love has never showed such power on TV
  29. ChuckS
    Jul 15, 2007
    It's a great show with very good character dynamics. Here is my take on the characters: Bill Hendrickson wanting a large family. Barbara's love for her husband agreed to allow him to take on other wives so he could realise his large family even though, as indicated in the 1st season was a member of the mainstream LDS faith but has left it. Niki, who didn't marry Bill for It's a great show with very good character dynamics. Here is my take on the characters: Bill Hendrickson wanting a large family. Barbara's love for her husband agreed to allow him to take on other wives so he could realise his large family even though, as indicated in the 1st season was a member of the mainstream LDS faith but has left it. Niki, who didn't marry Bill for love but for the principle, that is their belief that polygamy is right. Margene, simply loves everyone, even those that don't like her and loves the idea of this "alternate family lifestyle". Even the 2 oldest children are struggling with coming of age issues and are dealing with their own views on the polygamist lifestyle. I guess the people that don't like the show, can't see that it's trying to portray the dynamics of the lifestyle in an intellegent manor. Of course it's not going to be totally accurate in that portrayal. It's not a ducumentary of real polygamist family. It's a television drama and it has to keep viewers entertained. I doubt if thee are very many people or families in real life could keep others entertained for very long, let alone an entire tv season. Expand
  30. NanetteB.
    Jul 15, 2007
    My husband even likes this show. I think it is one of the best shows on TV today.
  31. glenn
    Jul 29, 2007
    I am a mormon and I watch the show. I am hooked and find it very amusing and entertaining. Having more than one wife would be hard work but Im glad the wife has the final decision. The show really portrays a polygamist lifestyle and the problems a family would face. It would take a very noble guy to take it on.
  32. LynnN.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Easily the most compelling and best written script on TV today.

“Big Love” is a waste of time, and an excruciating waste of these actors’ talents.
  2. The show feels cold, like it's holding the audience at arm's length.
    The second season... crackles with high drama, suspenseful twists, unexpected humor and emotion.