Big Love : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 12, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
6.1

1. Feb 9, 2011
    I must respectfully disagree with critics who find this season a return to form. To me, it continues--even accelerates--the decline that began with the death of Roman (Harry Dean Stanton). I don't know whether it was Roman the character or Stanton the actor who inspired the writers for the first three seasons, but, once he was gone, the show seemed to lose its way, clutching at topicalI must respectfully disagree with critics who find this season a return to form. To me, it continues--even accelerates--the decline that began with the death of Roman (Harry Dean Stanton). I don't know whether it was Roman the character or Stanton the actor who inspired the writers for the first three seasons, but, once he was gone, the show seemed to lose its way, clutching at topical storylines, some truly preposterous, and putting the characters through ridiculous changes. The exception was the flirtation between the youngest wife and the oldest son, much closer to her age than her husband, which was spot on and handled well. Season five finds the family, improbably, dealing with the aftermath of a monumentally ill-timed "coming out," and everyone seems to be handling the stress by indulging in selfish acting out and equally narcissistic blather. I'll admit, I channel-surfed out of there when Barb and her mother started berating each other over old grievances during a public forum, something neither character would ever, ever do. And all of this is too bad, because one of the show's earlier strengths was the delicate balance between the "big love" of its title and the petty disputes and rivalries that perturb it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Feb 3, 2011
    Season five is a definite improvement on season four, but only to a point. There aren't as many different stories rattling around, but the show's still so crowded that it has to bounce from scene to scene, subplot to subplot, so quickly that very little gets a chance to breathe.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Feb 3, 2011
    In early episodes, Big Love quickly reclaims its astonishing ability to balance the insightful and the absurd, hilarity and heartbreak and the personal with the political. The hours race by and already the final season seems far too short.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Feb 3, 2011
    The first two new episodes are better focused and often affecting but don't quite cohere, possibly in part because of the mop-up work left after the whirlwind of season four. The third episode sent to critics, however, is one of the strongest the show has done in a while, possibly since the excellent third season.