Black Mirror : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
8.6

1. Jan 16, 2015
    Containing three separate hour long episodes Black Mirror explores the dark side of modern and near future technology in a way that only Charlie Brooker (A fairly well known name in the UK) could. One episode in particular may be a little too much for some but very few shows have been able to tell such intriguing stories in such a short time.
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    Great show.

First, a note, Episode 1 is far and away the weakest of the three in Season 1. Yes, it's good at showing how everyone will latch on to vileness as a national moment, and casts a finger at society, but it's otherwise weak. Don't let that deter you. Episode 2 and 3 are just unbelievably good. I won't say anything else because I don't want to ruin it. Go watch it.
  3. Mar 6, 2015
    Wow, that was amazing. 3 fantastic episodes. Creepy and thought provoking,each episode is a stand alone and each has brilliant writing and outstanding acting. Wow, just wow.
  4. May 13, 2014
    This is what a series should be. Entertaining, clever, thought provoking, social commentary, humorous, dark, on the edge, different, etc. Wow, wow, wow - please give me some more. From the scripts, acting, directing - wow! It asks some hard questions of what and where we really want technology to take us. Or maybe already have taken us. A must watch!
  5. Jan 2, 2015
    I finally got around to watching this after numerous recommendations, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed. The very first episode hits the viewer with an absurdist premise that sets the tone for the series, and I was instantly hooked.
  6. Dec 30, 2014
    This is truly an amazing show. At this point I have watched the first three episodes and have been brought to tears by each one. The issues that the show grapples with and illuminates in each episode are timely and significant. To say that this show deals with the dark side of technology and human nature is to make to simple of a comparison. I see the humanity of the characters and theThis is truly an amazing show. At this point I have watched the first three episodes and have been brought to tears by each one. The issues that the show grapples with and illuminates in each episode are timely and significant. To say that this show deals with the dark side of technology and human nature is to make to simple of a comparison. I see the humanity of the characters and the dilemmas they are caught in clearly. Great writing, Great Acting, Great Series. Treat yourself and watch this. I really hope there are more seasons to come. Expand
  7. Jun 1, 2014
    This is what a seris should be. Entertaining, clever, thought provoking, social commentary, humorous, dark. It asks some hard questions of what and where we really want technology to take us.
  8. Jan 4, 2015
    While the arts are meant to challenge us to think, sometimes they can be used to destroy. Through the vile subject matter, the first episode actually contributes to the very problem it pretends to mock. Humans can be very very flawed, but to minimize certain flaws is destructive.
    Consider, would the viewer's reaction to this show have been different if it had involved pedophilia rather than bestiality?
    While government can and should not censor, we as individuals can. If you haven't watched this, you would do well to avoid it. It is a mind game that is destructive.
  9. Dec 18, 2014
    Nice production, problematic writing. The first episode, National Anthem, is unbelievable to the point of absurdity. Not only would it be impossible for one man to kidnap a royal family member, but even if he did, the administration would never give in to demands. Placing so much screen time on this supposed dilemma just goes to lengthen our outrage. In the second episode, 15 MillionNice production, problematic writing. The first episode, National Anthem, is unbelievable to the point of absurdity. Not only would it be impossible for one man to kidnap a royal family member, but even if he did, the administration would never give in to demands. Placing so much screen time on this supposed dilemma just goes to lengthen our outrage. In the second episode, 15 Million Merits, we are presented with a world that crosses Brave New World and Network without adding anything more than a snide implication about fat shaming. Much like in the first episode, social commentary is kept to the epilogue while the majority of the screen time is given to the implausible scenario (in this case, that an economy could be run through an inefficient power source like human metabolism). When the punchline arrives - that even if someone does make a stand and criticizes our soulless society, it is quickly monetized and interpreted as art rather than a call to arms - it lacks the punch that it did in Network, especially when the effect on the lead character's psyche is not examined. The third episode, the Entire History of You, could practically be fan fiction in a Dan Simmons universe, playing his "Flashback" concept straight. The production values are strong in this series, and the acting is quite good, but while the writing compels, it never quite reaches a level of respectability worthy of remembrance among actual sci-fi or satire fans. The Twilight Zone, a series that this one is often compared to, had its fair share of unmemorable episodes also, and didn't really do that much for television, yet is remembered because of unmistakable vignettes included in its episodes: a man's panic at seeing a monster outside the airplane window, or a dreamlike rendition of an astronaut's solitude. It is these things that made the Twilight Zone remarkable, and while some imagination goes into the filming and conception of the stories told herein, sadly, it is more of a reflection of our society than an original work of it. Expand
  10. Jan 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is rank self-indulgence parading as Hard Truth Speech. This episode purports (I can only suppose - why else would you make something so perversely ugly?) to open our eyes to the cold hard facts of eroded public morals when it comes to sensationalism. The "parable" is as follows: Prime Minister of Britain is subject to a form of psychological rape in a live broadcast, and because the entire citizenry cannot take their eyes away, no one is present to discover that he did not, in fact need to endure it. If the writer of this lurid indulgence thinks that showing the depths to which humans will go in the most quotidian of circumstances, he is living in a bubble of privilege.

I was left with the impression that the creators must imagine that this story is revelatory. It is not. It is as immaturely sadistic as a little boy torturing a frog.
  11. Dec 23, 2014
    The plot of the first episode (National Anthem) is undeniably the work of a diseased imagination. The portrayal of the reactions to the central event of everyone involved, and of the public in general, is absurd and insulting. I am surprised that so many excellent actors have agreed to participate in this crass stupidity.
  12. May 19, 2015
    A very interesting series. Its social commentary and portrayals of dystopian technology use are surprising and dark. Not all the episodes are equal. The last two being in my opinion much better than the first. All in all it is an interesting series and will captivate viewers.
  13. May 3, 2016
    Black Mirror is easily described as a Twilight Zone for the current generation with more of a science fiction vibe than the fantasy of Twilight Zone. Every episode is great.
  14. Dec 2, 2013
    Somehow this show has yet to receive a user review likely due to a lack of opportunities for U.S. audiences to see it (or many legal ones, at least). I'd strongly advocate viewers seek it out it's terrific. Particularly for people who frequent this site who have some tech familiarity this show is especially poignant. Think of it as the Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits) with a decidedlySomehow this show has yet to receive a user review likely due to a lack of opportunities for U.S. audiences to see it (or many legal ones, at least). I'd strongly advocate viewers seek it out it's terrific. Particularly for people who frequent this site who have some tech familiarity this show is especially poignant. Think of it as the Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits) with a decidedly more realistic bent that examines the scary consequences of technology today and in the very near future. Each season is only three episodes, so you'll consume it rather quickly and will not regret the commitment. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2016
    This show is absolutely enthralling. If I believed in giving 10s this show would be a definite contender for 10. Each episode is a stand alone story, that are well written and thoughtful. If you like sci-fi, technology, or just well written stories, this show is for you. My only criticism is the incredibly small amount of episodes. After watching ..all I knew is I wanted more Black Mirror.This show is absolutely enthralling. If I believed in giving 10s this show would be a definite contender for 10. Each episode is a stand alone story, that are well written and thoughtful. If you like sci-fi, technology, or just well written stories, this show is for you. My only criticism is the incredibly small amount of episodes. After watching ..all I knew is I wanted more Black Mirror. I know shows have to end , but this is one of those you just hope won't. Expand
  16. May 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disturbing, pointless, garbage. The plot is not believable and illogical. Any person, especially a prime minister would not destroy his carrier, marriage, and life, forever, for an uncertain prospect or even for the proposed possible prospect. The response of the public is totally unrealistic. I do not need 150 words to describe something so woeful. Obviously I either do not see what some other critics see in it, or they are much smarter than I am. I'm surprise that the show creators did not quit making it when realized that if they had any message to convey, it is paper thin. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Melissa Maerz
    Nov 26, 2013
    Every so often a British drama comes along that's so brilliant, you must ride a TARDIS to London just to watch. The cult-favorite sci-fi series Black Mirror is one of those shows.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Nov 26, 2013
    The obvious comparison point is The Twilight Zone; that Black Mirror is a worthy successor is the highest praise that can be paid.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Nov 26, 2013
    Smartly written and well cast, the individual episodes keep circling back to such apprehensions, with darkly satiric overtones that distinguish it from most of what’s currently on U.S. TV.