Black Mirror : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.6

1. Apr 12, 2017
    The series is fantastic, I purchased Netflix because of this. I watch Philip Defranco on YouTube and he kept talking about it so I gave it a shot. SON! The first episode in my opinion is the only one I didn't really care for theme wise, but I understood its purpose with how it plays into society. But the rest of them were great. I recommend it.
  2. Mar 21, 2017
    Twlight zone was fantastic, most episodes have a clever twist or well planned finish. Most endings to Black Mirror were all bland, anti-climatic and super predictable. Most episodes that served to send a message are way to in your face and over exaggerated to even find scary or thrilling, and instead comes of as annoyingly preachy and even whiny. The show tries way to hard to be edgyTwlight zone was fantastic, most episodes have a clever twist or well planned finish. Most endings to Black Mirror were all bland, anti-climatic and super predictable. Most episodes that served to send a message are way to in your face and over exaggerated to even find scary or thrilling, and instead comes of as annoyingly preachy and even whiny. The show tries way to hard to be edgy instead of smart, and out of the 12 or so episodes I watched I only thought one of them was actually well written. Also, some of the acting is pretty bad tbh. Besides all of that, great special effects, and a some great acting as well. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2017
    Only 3 episodes but all 3 of them are excellent! I swear that episode 3 is the inevitable future lifestyle that the technology driven society we live in is creating as we speak. Gives me chills just thinking about it.
  4. Feb 19, 2017
    Effective British TV mini serie with some taste of the Twilight Zone. Some chapters has not the same quality but the effort is wortwhile. One of best choices of Netflix.
  5. Jan 28, 2017
    I've never rated anything on Netflix below two stars, ever. Not until this diseased, vomitous dreck spewed out of my television. Laughably bad, laughably pretentious, no normal human is capable of liking this without certifying themselves, intellectually, a complete gelatinous glob.
  6. Jan 18, 2017
    Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror: Series 1 offers a trilogy of terrifying sci-fi stories that are each shocking in their own ways. The episodes realistically deal with issues that are timely and important. The writing is sharp, directing solid and acting terrific.
  7. Jan 7, 2017
    It's meant to show the "misuse of technology" in the future. Guess what. The concept of "misuse" is such that no matter what topic you pick up you can show very degenerate people. Forget the future, in the medieval times itself there was a lot of savagery.

Humans are always capable of savagery given that the situation demands it. And even then there would be people who would not resort to savagery and would remain kind and helpful.

The Black mirror series is akin to watching the Saw movie series. The episodes and stories are psychopathic. The crowd of people are generally shown to be degenerate beings capable of only getting entertained no matter what. Whereas in the real life we've had world-wide co-operated shutdowns like black day to protest for that Internet ISP throttling that was being planned. Recall the protests against PIPA and SOPA in real life. And now compare that kind of crowd to what they show in Black mirror.

All the black mirror episodes are horrifying NOT because of the technology used, the torture performed, but because the MASS of people, the citizens are shown as degenerate, emotionless beings. People who have completely no brainpower other than taking pics and laughing at a victim. Moreover, the entire mass of people has been shown to be the same.

Let me give you guys another "mind **** Those of you who have watched Black Mirror. Imagine the same episode but now replace the citizens with people who feel connected to each other, people who don't like others being harmed, and they can be united to stop violence. Now imagine the episodes that you watched. Does it still look that "mind ****ing"? I'll wager not.
  8. Jan 2, 2017
    A series of intriguing and often extremely compelling concepts that, unfortunately, place believable characters into streaks of unbelievable scenarios. The social commentary is there, transpired through thought-provoking ideas and vignettes that should reflect an image of society not so distant from our own, but more often than not, these stray too far from believable pathways, even forA series of intriguing and often extremely compelling concepts that, unfortunately, place believable characters into streaks of unbelievable scenarios. The social commentary is there, transpired through thought-provoking ideas and vignettes that should reflect an image of society not so distant from our own, but more often than not, these stray too far from believable pathways, even for our flawed civilisation. Thus, Black Mirror's first season definitely is an interesting and peculiar experiment that is even enjoyable to watch as a bleak, 'what-if' sci-fi series, but it does little to thrust its viewers towards self-reflective and dissident views that question the morality of the advancements in technology, as its writers certainly hoped it would. Although the plots get progressively better to ultimately cap the season with a more unpredictable and engaging narrative in the third episode, the series' writers still have much to learn if they wish to make their product stand up to the premise. Expand
  9. Dec 27, 2016
    This is the best series ever in its category.
    However, do not watch if you like empty and nonsenced american crap with plenty of explosions and no need to think, you will get bored. This one is the exact opposit. Its intelligent, detailed, funny, creepy and with strong message to think about.
  10. Dec 6, 2016
    An amazing season to an amazing show I would recommend this show best show I have ever seen.

Best Episode: The National Anthem
    Worst Episode: Fifteen Million Merits

The National Anthem  10/10
    Fifteen Million Merits 9/10
    The Entire History of You  10/10
  11. Nov 13, 2016
    This show is simply horrible. It masquerades as social commentary while simultaneously catering to our basest desires: watching people be humiliated, tortured or killed. Not only are the majority of the episodes disgusting and disturbing, but the spectacularly fail at any semblance of commentary. This is usually because it seems that the writers tend to get lost in their own gluttony forThis show is simply horrible. It masquerades as social commentary while simultaneously catering to our basest desires: watching people be humiliated, tortured or killed. Not only are the majority of the episodes disgusting and disturbing, but the spectacularly fail at any semblance of commentary. This is usually because it seems that the writers tend to get lost in their own gluttony for the horrifying and forget what the episode is supposed to be about. Stay away from the show and you'll do yourself a favor. Expand
  12. Nov 3, 2016
    A truly unique, original and creative approach for a TV series.
    If you are a sci-fi fan then Black Mirror is sure to blow your mind. It's hard to grasp the level of creativity. One of my favorite tv series of all time.
  13. Oct 26, 2016
    I consider myself fairly liberal, and I'm also a fan of irony and social commentary, but after watching the first episode, I don't think I have the stomach for any more. The willingness to watch a show about this topic mirrors the cynicism and numbness of the general population in the who, who watch a man being humiliated on public television. I like to think we're still above this.
  14. Oct 23, 2016
    I finally got around to watching the first "season". This is "soft" science fiction at it's best. The first episode is very good, and the second two are brilliant. (By "soft" I mean the plots revolve around human social interaction, as impacted by technology. The technology is not the focus of the story.)
  15. May 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disturbing, pointless, garbage. The plot is not believable and illogical. Any person, especially a prime minister would not destroy his carrier, marriage, and life, forever, for an uncertain prospect or even for the proposed possible prospect. The response of the public is totally unrealistic. I do not need 150 words to describe something so woeful. Obviously I either do not see what some other critics see in it, or they are much smarter than I am. I'm surprise that the show creators did not quit making it when realized that if they had any message to convey, it is paper thin. Expand
  16. May 3, 2016
    Black Mirror is easily described as a Twilight Zone for the current generation with more of a science fiction vibe than the fantasy of Twilight Zone. Every episode is great.
  17. Feb 19, 2016
    This show is absolutely enthralling. If I believed in giving 10s this show would be a definite contender for 10. Each episode is a stand alone story, that are well written and thoughtful. If you like sci-fi, technology, or just well written stories, this show is for you. My only criticism is the incredibly small amount of episodes. After watching ..all I knew is I wanted more Black Mirror.This show is absolutely enthralling. If I believed in giving 10s this show would be a definite contender for 10. Each episode is a stand alone story, that are well written and thoughtful. If you like sci-fi, technology, or just well written stories, this show is for you. My only criticism is the incredibly small amount of episodes. After watching ..all I knew is I wanted more Black Mirror. I know shows have to end , but this is one of those you just hope won't. Expand
  18. May 19, 2015
    A very interesting series. Its social commentary and portrayals of dystopian technology use are surprising and dark. Not all the episodes are equal. The last two being in my opinion much better than the first. All in all it is an interesting series and will captivate viewers.
  19. Mar 6, 2015
    Wow, that was amazing. 3 fantastic episodes. Creepy and thought provoking,each episode is a stand alone and each has brilliant writing and outstanding acting. Wow, just wow.
  20. Jan 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is rank self-indulgence parading as Hard Truth Speech. This episode purports (I can only suppose - why else would you make something so perversely ugly?) to open our eyes to the cold hard facts of eroded public morals when it comes to sensationalism. The "parable" is as follows: Prime Minister of Britain is subject to a form of psychological rape in a live broadcast, and because the entire citizenry cannot take their eyes away, no one is present to discover that he did not, in fact need to endure it. If the writer of this lurid indulgence thinks that showing the depths to which humans will go in the most quotidian of circumstances, he is living in a bubble of privilege.

I was left with the impression that the creators must imagine that this story is revelatory. It is not. It is as immaturely sadistic as a little boy torturing a frog.
  21. Jan 16, 2015
    Containing three separate hour long episodes Black Mirror explores the dark side of modern and near future technology in a way that only Charlie Brooker (A fairly well known name in the UK) could. One episode in particular may be a little too much for some but very few shows have been able to tell such intriguing stories in such a short time.
  22. Jan 4, 2015
    While the arts are meant to challenge us to think, sometimes they can be used to destroy. Through the vile subject matter, the first episode actually contributes to the very problem it pretends to mock. Humans can be very very flawed, but to minimize certain flaws is destructive.
    Consider, would the viewer's reaction to this show have been different if it had involved pedophilia rather than bestiality?
    While government can and should not censor, we as individuals can. If you haven't watched this, you would do well to avoid it. It is a mind game that is destructive.
  23. Jan 4, 2015
    Great show.

First, a note, Episode 1 is far and away the weakest of the three in Season 1. Yes, it's good at showing how everyone will latch on to vileness as a national moment, and casts a finger at society, but it's otherwise weak. Don't let that deter you. Episode 2 and 3 are just unbelievably good. I won't say anything else because I don't want to ruin it. Go watch it.
  24. Jan 2, 2015
    I finally got around to watching this after numerous recommendations, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed. The very first episode hits the viewer with an absurdist premise that sets the tone for the series, and I was instantly hooked.
  25. Dec 30, 2014
    This is truly an amazing show. At this point I have watched the first three episodes and have been brought to tears by each one. The issues that the show grapples with and illuminates in each episode are timely and significant. To say that this show deals with the dark side of technology and human nature is to make to simple of a comparison. I see the humanity of the characters and theThis is truly an amazing show. At this point I have watched the first three episodes and have been brought to tears by each one. The issues that the show grapples with and illuminates in each episode are timely and significant. To say that this show deals with the dark side of technology and human nature is to make to simple of a comparison. I see the humanity of the characters and the dilemmas they are caught in clearly. Great writing, Great Acting, Great Series. Treat yourself and watch this. I really hope there are more seasons to come. Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2014
    The plot of the first episode (National Anthem) is undeniably the work of a diseased imagination. The portrayal of the reactions to the central event of everyone involved, and of the public in general, is absurd and insulting. I am surprised that so many excellent actors have agreed to participate in this crass stupidity.
  27. Dec 18, 2014
    Nice production, problematic writing. The first episode, National Anthem, is unbelievable to the point of absurdity. Not only would it be impossible for one man to kidnap a royal family member, but even if he did, the administration would never give in to demands. Placing so much screen time on this supposed dilemma just goes to lengthen our outrage. In the second episode, 15 MillionNice production, problematic writing. The first episode, National Anthem, is unbelievable to the point of absurdity. Not only would it be impossible for one man to kidnap a royal family member, but even if he did, the administration would never give in to demands. Placing so much screen time on this supposed dilemma just goes to lengthen our outrage. In the second episode, 15 Million Merits, we are presented with a world that crosses Brave New World and Network without adding anything more than a snide implication about fat shaming. Much like in the first episode, social commentary is kept to the epilogue while the majority of the screen time is given to the implausible scenario (in this case, that an economy could be run through an inefficient power source like human metabolism). When the punchline arrives - that even if someone does make a stand and criticizes our soulless society, it is quickly monetized and interpreted as art rather than a call to arms - it lacks the punch that it did in Network, especially when the effect on the lead character's psyche is not examined. The third episode, the Entire History of You, could practically be fan fiction in a Dan Simmons universe, playing his "Flashback" concept straight. The production values are strong in this series, and the acting is quite good, but while the writing compels, it never quite reaches a level of respectability worthy of remembrance among actual sci-fi or satire fans. The Twilight Zone, a series that this one is often compared to, had its fair share of unmemorable episodes also, and didn't really do that much for television, yet is remembered because of unmistakable vignettes included in its episodes: a man's panic at seeing a monster outside the airplane window, or a dreamlike rendition of an astronaut's solitude. It is these things that made the Twilight Zone remarkable, and while some imagination goes into the filming and conception of the stories told herein, sadly, it is more of a reflection of our society than an original work of it. Expand
  28. Jun 1, 2014
    This is what a seris should be. Entertaining, clever, thought provoking, social commentary, humorous, dark. It asks some hard questions of what and where we really want technology to take us.
  29. May 13, 2014
    This is what a series should be. Entertaining, clever, thought provoking, social commentary, humorous, dark, on the edge, different, etc. Wow, wow, wow - please give me some more. From the scripts, acting, directing - wow! It asks some hard questions of what and where we really want technology to take us. Or maybe already have taken us. A must watch!
  30. Dec 2, 2013
    Somehow this show has yet to receive a user review likely due to a lack of opportunities for U.S. audiences to see it (or many legal ones, at least). I'd strongly advocate viewers seek it out it's terrific. Particularly for people who frequent this site who have some tech familiarity this show is especially poignant. Think of it as the Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits) with a decidedlySomehow this show has yet to receive a user review likely due to a lack of opportunities for U.S. audiences to see it (or many legal ones, at least). I'd strongly advocate viewers seek it out it's terrific. Particularly for people who frequent this site who have some tech familiarity this show is especially poignant. Think of it as the Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits) with a decidedly more realistic bent that examines the scary consequences of technology today and in the very near future. Each season is only three episodes, so you'll consume it rather quickly and will not regret the commitment. Collapse
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Melissa Maerz
    Nov 26, 2013
    Every so often a British drama comes along that's so brilliant, you must ride a TARDIS to London just to watch. The cult-favorite sci-fi series Black Mirror is one of those shows.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd VanDerWerff
    Nov 26, 2013
    The obvious comparison point is The Twilight Zone; that Black Mirror is a worthy successor is the highest praise that can be paid.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Nov 26, 2013
    Smartly written and well cast, the individual episodes keep circling back to such apprehensions, with darkly satiric overtones that distinguish it from most of what’s currently on U.S. TV.