• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2
4.3

1. Sep 24, 2010
    Most of what makes the original version of Sh*t My Dad Says compelling, and even endearing, gets lost in translation to broadcast television. The only thing that makes the television version watchable is William Shatner. This has nothing to do with the material, and everything to do with The Shat. It's not the worst thing I've ever watched, but they've turned an innovative new-media phenomenon into a decidedly old media sitcom, complete with a laugh track. (I mean, really. If you can't trust the home audience to know when to laugh, can't you at least get a live audience in the studio?) In an age where the television schedule is filled with brilliant comedies with snappy dialog, great writing, beautiful camera work, insightful character development, and themes that connect with audience members' hearts and minds, this show is glaringly void of any of these qualities. Expand
  2. Sep 24, 2010
    This show is disturbing with its pathetic excuses for a joke. It's basically the show title, minus the "My Dad Says" part. Avoid this horrific show like your life depended on it.
  3. Sep 24, 2010
    The second I heard a laugh track, I knew this was going to be terrible. This could have been a brilliant, edy comedy if handled properly, But it was horrible.
  4. Sep 25, 2010
    The biggest issue with this show is that its clear how could it could have been, instead we're treated to a mediocre sitcom that falls into the same pitfall that far too many American sitcoms fall into - Substitution of a laugh track instead of comedy in the hope that we won't notice.

It does have its moments, some of William Shatners' lines are funny, however he doesn't seem to be the
    right person to play the part - or maybe I've been watching far to much Boston Legal lately.

This show can be rescued from crapness as long as the lessons from the Pilot are learned - Kill the Laugh track and inject more comedy and maybe it just might make it through the season, but if the pilot is all we can expect, then this show is a cancellation waiting to happen.
  5. Sep 25, 2010
    $h*! My Dad Says

William Shatner plays a father who, one surmises from the title and the banter of the characters, has alienated himself from all of his loved ones due to the fact that he is a complete and utter douche bag. The series begins when his recently laid off son, played by Jonathan Sadowski, who hasn't seen his father in two years, drops by unexpectedly in order to hit him up
    for some money. No hilarity ensues.

Not even the talent of Shatner could hope to keep this train wreck of a comedy from derailing, and one has to wonder if his appearance on this show is the result of losing a bet made during severe alcohol intoxication. Sadowksi's character invokes no pity, or any other emotion, for that matter, and frankly, it's difficult to invest even a modicum of hope that he'll win out in the end.

One of the biggest problems here is that the father just doesn't feel that douchey: if the worst thing the writers can fathom up for him to do all episode is make his son sleep on a cot on which his old war buddy died, it is clear that writer's block has set in before the season has even begun. To add insult to injury, because they just can't seem to make the father act like a douche, the writers rely instead on making all of the other characters tell us what a douche the father is, repeatedly and ad nausea.

With the new wave of laugh-track free comedies that are becoming, thankfully, more and more common, such as Modern Family and the Middle, it feels that writers and directors are trusting the audience to appreciate comedic moments without being directly prompted to do so. $h*! is the complete opposite of this: the show is so bereft of anything resembling humour that it feels as if the sole purpose of the laugh track is a desperate attempt to inform us as to when the writers intended for us to laugh. Perhaps they felt that the laugh track would be infectious, but the only symptom of this infection is a vague sense of nausea: the unfunniness of the jokes contrasted with the raucousness of the laugh track transcends juxtaposition and vacations deeply in the land of awkwardness. I am almost embarrassed for this show.
  6. Sep 30, 2010
    Based on the Twitter feed that inspired the series, I expected something that at least made me chuckle. No such luck, though.

"Bleep My Dad Says" is wholly unfunny. The laugh track, which suggests I'm supposed to laugh at pathetic excuses for jokes, only makes the show that much worse. CBS needs to put the series out of its misery as soon as possible.
  7. Sep 27, 2010
    Like "Hot in Cleveland", this is comfort (and junk) food - 80s style sitcom with master thespian William Shattner instead of Betty White, saying un-PC, faux insensitive, old timey shyte and getting cheap laughs. If you like hyper-kinetic cutting edge meta-comedy, watch what "The Community" did with the same idea in episode 2-01.
  8. Sep 27, 2010
    Not only was this unfunny, but it was that rare unfunny show where it is impossible to see where it ever WOULD be funny. And isn't it always the least funny shows that have the most intrusive, laugh-at-every-single-attempt-at-a-joke laughtrack?
  9. Jan 28, 2011
    This is quite possibly the worst show on television right now. This show hates your family. I wonder how many good pilots were turned down for this ****
  10. Oct 2, 2010
    This is not a funny show. The pilot had zero laughs and resorted to cheap and obvious gags. The only good actor is William Shatner but a good performance by him can't make up for the god-awful acting of the rest of the cast. The show uses a laugh track which is cheesy and makes the show completely unwatchable.
  11. Oct 11, 2010
    Andrew Golucki
    Speech
    P7
    $#*! My Dad Says T.V. Review
    Social networking. A thing on the internet. You tell people about stuff. Lots of good stuff. Funny stuff. Although it may be funny on the computer screen, it sure as hell not funny on the tv. $#*! My dad says is a sitcom based on a twitter of feed of a kid blogging about things his dad has said. $#*! My Dad Says is on at September 23,
    2010, and airs on Thursdays at 8:30 pm Eastern/7:30 pm Central on CBS. $#*! My Dad Says is the worst thing ever to land on television. Most would just turn of their T.V. after the scrutiny of the first five seconds. But if you have a thirst for bashing T.V. shows, youâ Expand
  12. Nov 5, 2010
    The show is so CHEESY! It does not translate well from Twitter. The storyline does not flow and the jokes don't go together. The acting seems forced. Henry can not pass for the son of Ed, and they really have no chemistry together. Sadowski's acting seems amateur, and Shatner looks fake and orange, despite being the only person on the show who is remotely funny. Sasso and Sullivan are not funny either, which is surprising as they were hilarious on MadTV. I'm shocked that the show got picked up for another season. Clearly, it's because of its time slot. Stick that show on a Tuesday night and it would have very low ratings. The truth is, it's funny on Twitter, but basing a whole show around one or two funny comments is absurd. Bad idea from the beginning. It makes the comments incredibly unfunny, and fast. Next! Expand
  13. Feb 7, 2011
    Although I must have laughed about twice while watching the four episodes I have seen it is something I can sit and watch when nothing else is on. Although the actual show isn't very good.
  14. Sep 29, 2011
    I remember BLEEP MY DAD SAYS being funny. But I also remember the obviousness as to why exactly it was ended. It wasn't good, and William Shatner made a fool of himself.
  15. Sep 8, 2011
    The Twitter account this is based on is stupidly unfunny, and clearly a load of recycled lines from various cynical comedy characters over the years. And the resulting sitcom, with William Shatner nontheless, is probably better. But, still, very very bad.

1. $#*! My Dad Says feels hopelessly old school. It relies on a stock sitcom character--the crabby dad--that we've seen over and over. It mainly anchors itself to a claustrophobic sitcom-y living room, and it relies too heavily on a tired, rat-a-tat setup/punchline delivery.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    William Shatner makes the pilot barely watchable, but only because the fleeting moments of heart overshadow the mostly limp one-liners. In a business obsessed with younger demos, the septuagenarian Shatner is an unlikely sitcom star, but he provides the lone spark in this otherwise-formulaic comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: Kris King
    $#*! My Dad Says is a dismal show, harboring the worst qualities of every lame, four-camera, laugh-tracked sitcom on television. The jokes are painful, the acting is hammy, the characters are flat, and it simply isn't funny. Ever.