Bleep My Dad Says : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 23, 2010
Season #: 1, 2
4.4

1. Sep 24, 2010
    I think the "critics" were overly harsh on this show. There are some things that can improve and its obvious that its a pilot episode, but there were also a lot of things that worked. William Shatner did really well capturing the role of someone who is outspoken but also likeable. Jonathan Sadowski does a decent job of portraying the son that wants to have a relationship with him. II think the "critics" were overly harsh on this show. There are some things that can improve and its obvious that its a pilot episode, but there were also a lot of things that worked. William Shatner did really well capturing the role of someone who is outspoken but also likeable. Jonathan Sadowski does a decent job of portraying the son that wants to have a relationship with him. I will give this show a chance. Collapse
  2. Sep 24, 2010
    It seems to have gotten off to a rough start, but I'm not ready to write it completely off. Especially with Shatner providing a decent amount of laughs.

Now if only they could fix the rest of the cast...
  3. Sep 29, 2010
    Based on the first episode, the show has potential, but has some serious problems. William Shatner seemed very stiff and unprepared. During the first third of the show, he's oddly staring off into space while speaking his lines (no doubt reading the teleprompter ala SNL). He's stiff and uninspired. Not until the DMV scene do we see Shatner start to own the role and really play it.Based on the first episode, the show has potential, but has some serious problems. William Shatner seemed very stiff and unprepared. During the first third of the show, he's oddly staring off into space while speaking his lines (no doubt reading the teleprompter ala SNL). He's stiff and uninspired. Not until the DMV scene do we see Shatner start to own the role and really play it.

Shatner's co-star, Jonathan Sadowski, is equally stiff and uninspired, though he never gets any better. In fact, for a show based around the relationship between Shatner and Sadowski, they sadly appear to have zero chemistry onscreen together. The scenes I enjoyed the most ended up being the scenes where Sadowski was absent.

Many of the early jokes were wretchedly awful sitcom fare, though it did catch me more by surprise towards the end (starting with the DMV scene), and there were a few good laughs. When Shatner is comfortable with the scene, he delivers. Sadowski never does.
  4. Sep 25, 2010
    The biggest issue with this show is that its clear how could it could have been, instead we're treated to a mediocre sitcom that falls into the same pitfall that far too many American sitcoms fall into - Substitution of a laugh track instead of comedy in the hope that we won't notice.

It does have its moments, some of William Shatners' lines are funny, however he doesn't seem to be the right person to play the part - or maybe I've been watching far to much Boston Legal lately.

This show can be rescued from crapness as long as the lessons from the Pilot are learned - Kill the Laugh track and inject more comedy and maybe it just might make it through the season, but if the pilot is all we can expect, then this show is a cancellation waiting to happen.
  5. Feb 7, 2011
    Although I must have laughed about twice while watching the four episodes I have seen it is something I can sit and watch when nothing else is on. Although the actual show isn't very good.
  6. Sep 29, 2011
    I remember BLEEP MY DAD SAYS being funny. But I also remember the obviousness as to why exactly it was ended. It wasn't good, and William Shatner made a fool of himself.

1. $#*! My Dad Says feels hopelessly old school. It relies on a stock sitcom character--the crabby dad--that we've seen over and over. It mainly anchors itself to a claustrophobic sitcom-y living room, and it relies too heavily on a tired, rat-a-tat setup/punchline delivery.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    William Shatner makes the pilot barely watchable, but only because the fleeting moments of heart overshadow the mostly limp one-liners. In a business obsessed with younger demos, the septuagenarian Shatner is an unlikely sitcom star, but he provides the lone spark in this otherwise-formulaic comedy.
    $#*! My Dad Says is a dismal show, harboring the worst qualities of every lame, four-camera, laugh-tracked sitcom on television. The jokes are painful, the acting is hammy, the characters are flat, and it simply isn't funny. Ever.