• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.4

1. Dec 7, 2011
    While 1st season was just good and current ~85% score reflects well my opinion, but thanks to 2nd season this series jumps to my my TOP 2 favourite tv series (along with Breaking Bad)

fantastic plot, great GREAT acting, colorful characters. It has simply everything and i cant understand why it is rated so low - even awful TWD season 2 has a better score.

10+/10.
  2. Oct 28, 2011
    So far so good. You don't know who to root for! Everybody is great in their roles and the story rocks back and forth in character fortunes and misfortunes. Season 2 is better than 1 for now.
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    Season two of Boardwalk is rich in characters, story telling and setting. It's effortless unlike the first season which at times felt like it was dying to live up to hype season two absolutely deserves. Exquisite tv on every level period. I find each episode is worth watching twice.
  4. Oct 8, 2011
    The first season was fantastic Steve Buscemi is one of my favorite actors and he does a phenomenal role once again. This series is going to go far, too bad its only available for HBO members. I wish everyone could experience the magic that happens in this show. 10/10
  5. Nov 1, 2011
    I'm still unsure of what to think about this show. Sure its good but every episode gives you the impression that the next episode will be the one where things pick up and we see something actually happen. But then the next episode comes and what do you know, it's more talk and very little action besides the odd kill. Considering it's looking like there's meant to be a war over who controls the flow of Alcohol into Atlantic City, i don't see much waring. Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2011
    BE started out as a fabulous saga/ongoing movie. This season has too many plots twists and turns. It has lost some of its initial greatness. Less plots & build the existing characters .( too bad you had Mrs. Schroeder in bed W/ the help and Jimmy needs to be fiercer in his role )
  7. Nov 25, 2012
    Season 1= A wonderful, engaging plot. Character development that keeps you interested in whats going to happen to each of them. And pacing that keeps the story moving forward at just the right speed. Season 2= Less in every category. The plot doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The characters seem to be becoming ever-less interesting as each episode arrives. And the story just doesn't move forward with nearly enough 'umph'. Things happen, but slowly, and really not very interesting things at that. The main characters are becoming less and less relate-able and continuously more annoying. The premise of prohibition-era alcohol-bootleggers battling it out for turf in a budding Atlantic City is awesome, but somehow the writers of the show are managing to snuff out the huge possibilities that could exist here, and that I thought would exist after I had watched a really well-done season 1. Expand
  8. Dec 31, 2011
    Operatic, great television

The first series promised much, the second series delivered the goods. There is no match for this on television, Mad Men included. The ensemble cast is the best (especially Michael Shannon and Steve Buscemi), the scripts continue to shock with the story unfolding at its own pace, the direction firm and consistent, and the production up to the best film
    standards. The second season rivals the the first Sopranos series - and the resolution episodes (11 and 12) were the best yet, pulling rabbits out of hats at alarming speed.

Can they do a third series anywhere near this?
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Boardwalk 2 has an obvious problem. Nothing new is happening here. It's the same old jibber-jabber with more boobs and bloodshed to keep the audience watching.
  10. Apr 18, 2014
    This season of the always great Boardwalk Empire has more sex, violence, bunga-bunga and unbeliavable events, that it makes Berlusconi look like Pope Francis.
  11. Apr 2, 2013
    The first season of Boardwalk Empire showed plenty of potential without ever really becoming part of my essential TV schedule and whilst this second outing arguably moves things forward at a quicker pace I continued to find it difficult to really become invested in the story or characters. The show certainly has plenty going for it with fantastic sets and acting, lead by Steve Buscemi, of the highest order.

Maybe I was just expecting a little too much from a show from Sopranos writer Terence Winter but many of the characters are lacking the subtle complexity of said show and despite the, sometimes unnecessary sex and violence, it rarely comes across that the stakes are particularly high. Right now I am on the still on the fence as to whether or not I will return for the now confirmed third season.
  12. Sep 18, 2012
    Hard to follow but a good show. Hard to follow but a good show. Hard to follow but a good show. Hard to follow but a good show. Hard to follow but a good show.
  13. Nov 30, 2011
    Big LOL at the first season getting better reviews than the second one. The first season was utterly uninteresting, slow, boring, clicheed, had nothing to offer but one-dimensional characters, dull dialogues, and mediocre acting. The only reason people watched it where the superb authentic scenery and costumes.
    The second season is FINALLY becoming interesting, the story gets some impetus,
    the characters become deeper and more ambiguous, they have more difficult choices to make, and interact in more interesting ways.
    This show could actually be going somewhere now!!
  14. Oct 13, 2011
    A start to a season which eclipses the finale to the previous one. If the ending to the last season left you feeling a bit cold then the beginning of this one will leave you begging for more, really fast paced start to this and can only bode well!
  15. Oct 21, 2011
    I can't believe this got a second series. I gave up on the first series after about 6 or 7 episodes. It was so boring, the story just wasn't going anyway, I didn't care about any of the characters. It was well acted, and shot, just the storey line wasn't gripping enough.
  16. Oct 25, 2011
    While generally off to a better start than its first season, the second season of Boardwalk Empire still has some difficulties with the coherence of certain story lines. Interesting secondary characters like Chalky White or the World War veteran Richard Harrow are explored in more detail, making the season more compelling than the first. Steve Buscemi continues to be as brilliant as always (of course). Expand
  17. Nov 16, 2011
    First-rate acting, production, writing, direction, cinematography--what else do you want in a TV drama series? As the series has progressed I especially like the representation of how the different political/ethnic/racial groups interacted during the time period (Prohibition in the US). In that regard the black character of Albert "Chalky" White is particularly well developed (and actor Michael Kenneth Williams is superb), as is the obsessive federal agent Nelson Van Alden. Yes, sometimes you have to take notes to keep all the characters and plot lines straight, but as a period drama this is another in a series by HBO that really hits the mark, like Deadwood, and another of its drama series that catches and holds one's attention week after week (as with The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Treme). Maybe not quite up to the highest levels of these other HBO creations, but often pretty close. Collapse
  18. Nov 18, 2011
    ignore the bad reviews on here (mainly m505753a who is clearly an idiot - reviewing a program that he has never seen after disliking the first season). Broadwalk empire is fantastic and is appreciated by the masses!!!! Genuinly believe this could go on for many more series!!!!
  19. Nov 24, 2011
    I don't know, something seems "off"....

Compared with last year (season 1), this new season seems very slow paced and has thus far, not installed any memorable moments in us which is strange as this time last season, the story was going very fast at this stage. Great talent, I just don't think they're using them to the best of their abilities...it seems like a waste of money for everyone
    to continue like this.....

With only a few episodes left in this season, we need to get the story going full steam or else Boardwalk Empire may not have a long term slot on our TV's. I'll reserve judgment until the season finale.
  20. Dec 13, 2011
    Great characters with excellent actors playing them. A plot that may twist and turn a little more than it should but it keeps the story from being too predictable and therefore uninteresting. Production and settings are top notch almost mystical.
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    I look at this series as a beautifully filmed costume drama. (Gee, I never realized people had so much sex in the 20's. ) Steve Buscemi is perfectly cast and his transformation from sleazeball politico to out and out gangster is one of the most interesting themes in the show. Michael Kenneth Williams is superb as Chalky White facing moral dilemmas every bit as great as Omar Little's.
  22. Jun 19, 2013
    Great show however season 2 really feel off IMO. There were way too many filler shows where you didn't need to watch. Ending was great however they could have make 7 episodes with the story. Still good but no where near as good as Season 1.
  23. Jan 31, 2013
    Lost its initial charm for me. But still watched it for Jimmy Darmody, who was the only worthwhile character on this show for a long time. Harrow is a close second. Nucky is just plain annoying this time around, as is Margaret. The last two episodes were good, though. But I would watch only the first episode of season 3. If its garbage, I will attribute the events of season 2's finale to a desperate move by the writers to come across as confident; that they in fact knew where the story was going, because the rest of this season didn't know where it was going for the most part. Expand
  24. Jul 19, 2013
    incredibly rich milieu of gangsters, politicians and players, from a bygone age, animated by genius and imbued with vitality and immediacy once more. simply a time portal to another world.

great season, forever condemned to an 8 by its ending.
  25. Feb 4, 2014
    Puede que esta temporada para algunos no este a la altura de la primera, pero en mi punto de vista, esta temporada es genial y igual que grandiosa que la primera, eso si esta temporada la senti mas como protagonista a Darmody que a Nucky, ademas que Jimmy Darmody es y sera mi personaje preferido de la serie.
  26. Jul 20, 2014
    Season two of "Boardwalk Empire" is as fantastic as the first one (If not even better; episodes 5-8 are the most amazing stretch of episodes I've seen in any show), it is just criminally underrated by upset fans.

1. Reviewed by: Marisa Carroll
    Oct 4, 2011
    The Oedipal quagmire only enhances the political treachery.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Goodman
    Oct 4, 2011
    It's essential viewing. All of the promise of last season looks to be realized with impressively deft storytelling, beautiful cinematography and impeccable acting.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Oct 4, 2011
    Boardwalk Empire is doing what I wish Prohibition had done--it's tempting me to stick around for one more.