• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2010
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.7

1. Sep 15, 2013
    Just not as fun without Kelly Macdonald. It's kinda flat now. Violence and racism and no interesting story line.
    You really want to sell it this way? B O R I N G
  2. Oct 8, 2012
    Okay, I get that the dim lighting on all the gangster scenes is to convey the dark, early 20's furtive environment of Prohibition, but for the sake of viewers --- could the producers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE film with enough lighting so we can see WHO is talking, their FACIAL EXPRESSIONS (which matter greatly on film), and a sense of WHAT IS HAPPENING on the scene. Half the time, I'm onlyOkay, I get that the dim lighting on all the gangster scenes is to convey the dark, early 20's furtive environment of Prohibition, but for the sake of viewers --- could the producers PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE film with enough lighting so we can see WHO is talking, their FACIAL EXPRESSIONS (which matter greatly on film), and a sense of WHAT IS HAPPENING on the scene. Half the time, I'm only able to tell who is in the scene by recognizing their voices and left pondering what is happening as the lighting is too dim to make out the setting. Many of the gangster actors are so shrouded in darkness that it's very hard to know who they are or how they fit into the plot. So why does HBO waste money filming scenes when they expect viewers to only rely on voice recognition, background noise, to figure out what is happening? If HBO's lighting budget is that limited, why don't they just make an audiotape of the series? Expand
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    I always enjoyed Boardwalk Empire because of the style and writing. Season 3 has proved this HBO series has lost both. Focused too much on Nookie's personal problems it moves at a pace which has me looking at my watch anticipating the end so I can watch "Homeland". Shows don't usually crash and burn in the third season but if the lack of quality and writing, of the beginning episodes isI always enjoyed Boardwalk Empire because of the style and writing. Season 3 has proved this HBO series has lost both. Focused too much on Nookie's personal problems it moves at a pace which has me looking at my watch anticipating the end so I can watch "Homeland". Shows don't usually crash and burn in the third season but if the lack of quality and writing, of the beginning episodes is any indication, this show is doomed. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2014
    I was a big fan of season's 1 and 2, although I was disappointed they would kill off the 2nd most popular character Jimmy, AND, his innocent wife. I guess it was a sign of the gratuitous violence to come.

Season 3 has been a bummer, in general. Far too many innocent and/or non-threatening characters killed. Here's a list that comes to mind: The man with the dog who helps the idiot Gyp; the woman Gyp is having sex with; the paperboy; the fat sheriff; the young boy caught stealing from Nucky but then becomes friends with him; the brother-in-law who knew about rogue-waves; the man Gillian takes as a lover cos' he looks like her son Jimmy; and Nucky's mistress. Hell, she was headed for Hollywood and she could've been written out that way. They had to blow her to pieces?? I haven't seen eps 11 & 12, yet, so there could be more....

1. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Sep 17, 2012
    It's never a good sign when the main character is the least interesting player on the block. Fortunately, Empire's cast is rich enough for you to overlook that flaw.
  2. Reviewed by: Marisa LaScala
    Sep 17, 2012
    Just when it could've coasted off its accumulated good will and anticipation, Boardwalk Empire raised the stakes instead.
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 14, 2012
    When Boardwalk Empire is dealing with the consequences of the 18th Amendment, it plays like a sound and steady drama. When addressing the energy around the 19th, it begins to jazz things up.