• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 22, 2014
  • Season #: 1
8.5

1. Dec 9, 2014
    I first started watching the series because I wanted something cheesy, campy, and silly that could pass for background noise while I studied. If that is what you are picking up the show for, then enjoy the first few episodes and stop there. What I barely considered to be a cheap attempt at a new Archer turned into something more. As I followed it the seemingly one dimensional mainI first started watching the series because I wanted something cheesy, campy, and silly that could pass for background noise while I studied. If that is what you are picking up the show for, then enjoy the first few episodes and stop there. What I barely considered to be a cheap attempt at a new Archer turned into something more. As I followed it the seemingly one dimensional main character gained depth, and the show became sharing his adventure through heartbreak, regret, inner pain, and self recognition. If you want something that will take you from a few chuckles to speechless, then watch the series, and see if you can say anything at the end other than "damn." Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    Surprisingly good, I went into the show expecting something like Brickleberry, shallow, crass, trying too hard. But Bojack Horseman is actually a pretty deep show with some complex characters and issues. Sure it's funny, and the animation is silly, but the writing really delves into some hard hitting stuff.
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this show at first, it looked like your typical Family Guy copycat from the way Netflix advertised it. But I decided to give a chance anyways. After 3 episodes, it gets really, really good, and is not only one of my favorite shows of the year, but one of my favorite animated comedy-dramas, and favorite adult animated shows.
  4. Oct 29, 2014
    This Series is so horrible!! Not funny, full of stupid cliches(pinkman as the junky), and the art-style is very boring !! I tried it so hard, really but everything in this series is so generic and hackneyed. If you are one of the guys that think Simpson's got lame the last seasons, then make a big bow around BoJack cause this series is morphine for your laughing muscles.
  5. Oct 17, 2014
    Similar to many of the other reviewers, I had very low expectations for this show when I started watching it. To be honest it took me about three episodes to get completely sold on the show. I personally don't think that this show is very funny, but it is very good. It's also not very happy, but it is very good. The show takes typical cliches and turns them on their head. I will keep thisSimilar to many of the other reviewers, I had very low expectations for this show when I started watching it. To be honest it took me about three episodes to get completely sold on the show. I personally don't think that this show is very funny, but it is very good. It's also not very happy, but it is very good. The show takes typical cliches and turns them on their head. I will keep this review short and to the point. What makes the show good is the fact that it actually manages to emotionally grab you in a very ridiculous setting. The juxtaposition between the absurd and emotional creates a contrast that makes the intention of the writers very very clear. This allows them to take you on a ride that today's dramas often fail to accomplish. The show is not necessarily all good. The writers walk a line between humorous and emotional (the thing that is great about the show). BoJack Horseman sometimes tries to be a little too funny, as if it wants to be an Archer, South Park, or Family Guy esque' show. All-in-all, I cannot recommend this show enough. Give it a couple episodes. (I literally made a metacritic account to review this series) Expand
  6. Oct 17, 2014
    Loved this show! I also like how this show has a chronological storyline and follows a story and plot, unlike many animated shows that start and end a story with each episode. Even the theme song from Patrick Carney is catchy and ringtone material. Also, I don't understand the negative reviews that complain about how this show fails at being a Seth MacFarlane type of show. I love FamilyLoved this show! I also like how this show has a chronological storyline and follows a story and plot, unlike many animated shows that start and end a story with each episode. Even the theme song from Patrick Carney is catchy and ringtone material. Also, I don't understand the negative reviews that complain about how this show fails at being a Seth MacFarlane type of show. I love Family Guy, and Seth's other shows, and I also love this show. But I don't think Bojack Horseman was supposed to be a show like Family Guy. It's something beautiful and something very, very original. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2014
    Loved it. Strangely enough I think that the humour in this show may appeal more to those on the British Isles than those in the states. Don't think some of those critics 'get it'.
  8. Oct 6, 2014
    The problem that those who dislike the show have with BoJack Horseman is that it's not jammed full of humor like other shows are. If that's what you're looking for, try South Park or Family Guy. What BoJack has that makes up for this is a dark, witty humor, and really in depth character development. Don't get me wrong, there are still some really funny random things in the show to make youThe problem that those who dislike the show have with BoJack Horseman is that it's not jammed full of humor like other shows are. If that's what you're looking for, try South Park or Family Guy. What BoJack has that makes up for this is a dark, witty humor, and really in depth character development. Don't get me wrong, there are still some really funny random things in the show to make you laugh, but this show knows not to rely solely on randomness to get laughs.

Possibly the most enjoyable aspect is BoJack's continuity. It knows how to pick out it's own loose ends and tie them up accordingly. Some things mentioned and dropped in earlier episodes taken as throw away jokes become pivotal plot points later in the series.

After the first half of the series, it turns itself on it's head and becomes incredibly addictive. It's a long setup to the truly great second half of the series where it finally finds it's stride but it's worth every 25 minute increment of the series. Highly recommended to those who can take an occasional kick in the teeth with their humor.
  9. Oct 5, 2014
    This show is awesome. The writers, voice actors, and animators have created on screen chemistry between characters and their environment that goes above and beyond the overwhelming majority of animated shows. It's organic, relatable, and clever. I like that the series is a story and each episode builds off the previous episode. It's unique and definitely worth a watch.
  10. Sep 25, 2014
    This is one of those shows that I just have to say "if you didn't like it, you probably didn't 'get' it". Don't compare it to Family Guy. Don't compare it to Archer. Just watch it for what it is and I think you'll enjoy it. It's not an all-out laugh riot - most of the jokes are tongue in cheek, some witty, and some just silly puns. But under everything, there's heart. I watched the firstThis is one of those shows that I just have to say "if you didn't like it, you probably didn't 'get' it". Don't compare it to Family Guy. Don't compare it to Archer. Just watch it for what it is and I think you'll enjoy it. It's not an all-out laugh riot - most of the jokes are tongue in cheek, some witty, and some just silly puns. But under everything, there's heart. I watched the first episode not expecting to like it, but I was hooked - and the episodes just got better from then on.

I think there were some moments when I felt like the pacing could be improved, so I notched a point for that. Other than that, I can't stop thinking about this show. It's intro theme is my morning alarm and I don't feel like dismissing it either!

Those of you who gave up during the first episode - give it another shot. And those of you who still don't like it - that's fine, it's definitely not for everyone.
  11. Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't know what to expect going into a Netflix original cartoon, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Each episode seems to build off the plot of the last into a more hilarious and inviting situation. Characters became deeper, and a lot of questions I had raised at first were answered after an episode or two. The story continues each episode in a way that The Simpsons, Family guy, SouthI didn't know what to expect going into a Netflix original cartoon, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Each episode seems to build off the plot of the last into a more hilarious and inviting situation. Characters became deeper, and a lot of questions I had raised at first were answered after an episode or two. The story continues each episode in a way that The Simpsons, Family guy, South Park, etc. seemingly cannot accomplish, as the characters continue to gain depth and interest for the viewer. Every scene has a consequence (something forgotten in most cartoons), some are very intense. I never thought that I would have genuine feelings for a talking horse, but after watching season 1 twice over, I can't wait for more. If you have a Netflix account there is no excuse for not viewing this. Though the season finale gave closure, it definitely left fans of BoJack wanting more.

Drugs are recommended before viewing episode 11 to make it extra awesome.
  12. Sep 21, 2014
    I started watching this with fairly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The use of a season long story arc is refreshing for an animated comedy. Bojack's alternating between self reflection and consciously turning his mnd off and behaving like a jerk is weirdly a more realistic portrayal of a person (ha) than the one dimensional characters you see SNL alums crank out onI started watching this with fairly low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. The use of a season long story arc is refreshing for an animated comedy. Bojack's alternating between self reflection and consciously turning his mnd off and behaving like a jerk is weirdly a more realistic portrayal of a person (ha) than the one dimensional characters you see SNL alums crank out on network tv. Also the characters don't raise their eyebrows after every joke.

Surprised there are so many sour grapes reviews from so called professional reviewers, you think if your job was to watch tv you'd get that this isn't supposed to be a laugh out loud kind of show.

Funny show but more than that, entertaining.
  13. Sep 20, 2014
    The critics are mixed about this show. I guess this show isn't made to impress the critics but rather to impress the audience especially comedy fans like me.

The first few episodes made the show look like the Nerflix's answer to The Simpsons and Family Guy with non-linear storylines. But halfway through the season, this show made an interesting arc story that wants me to keep binge-watch the show to know what happens next.

The way they told the story is impressive for an adult animated series. That's how you should write a TV show by setting up an arc to keep the viewers interested.

The voice acting is great in this show. Despite his recognizable deep voice, Will Arnet did a good job voicing the titular character. Aaron Paul, Alison Brie, Amy Sedaris and basically anyone who voiced the characters in this show also did a good job in voicing their characters. They carry this show in my opinion.

The character development is also really good. I never expected this for a 12-episode season.

The humor is okay for the most part. There were some parts where it tried too hard to be funny but overall, most of the humor felt natural and funny thanks to the voice acting from the cast.

I really don't like the sex scenes in this show. It felt unnecessary for a show that has talking animals and humans in the same world and I am not into the idea of bestiality here.

The animation of this show is really good. I understand why some people say it's ugly but to me it's impressive and eye-candy.

The final episode sure knows how to set-up a potential arc for the next season while also providing a satisfying conclusion in case the show does not get picked up for a second season for Netflix. Glad they renewed it because I want to know what happens next.

Overall, this show won't gather any Emmys or any awards in particular but this show won something and that is a loyal fanbase waiting for the second season to come.
  14. Sep 17, 2014
    The writing better than what the critics and some users are putting off. I have watched the first season 3 times. The writing gets much more complex past the 3rd episode. The characters represent different pains, struggles, and experiences that one another experienced. For example, Bojack's constant party lifestyle, yet intellectual perspective is perfectly paralleled with Diane'sThe writing better than what the critics and some users are putting off. I have watched the first season 3 times. The writing gets much more complex past the 3rd episode. The characters represent different pains, struggles, and experiences that one another experienced. For example, Bojack's constant party lifestyle, yet intellectual perspective is perfectly paralleled with Diane's experiences in High School with the party life, while intelligent enough to articulate their own emotions, too afraid to address their own problems. Rather, they critique one another, which is a reflection of themselves. Mr. Peanutbutter is one of my favorite characters in the show, his always positive attitude is actually the exact opposite of Bojack's personality (Bojack being smart, depressed. PB being positive & stupid.), how quaint it would be for Diane to be in a relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter, while Bojack's secrete love for her brings out many changes in himself. Eventually Bojack's need for approval by Diane makes his pain and problems apparent in the last few episodes.

I could write so much more, these are only 3 characters in the story. So many good things about this series, it is worth watching, the writing may seem simple, but it is more complex than many shows out there.
  15. Sep 12, 2014
    Just awful writing. Even if it does get better after the first few episodes, how anyone could put themselves through that kind of punishment is beyond me.
  16. Sep 12, 2014
    The show is great. Some criticize a lack of humor, but the show's goal isn't to be funny. The existential struggle of BoJack is the core of the writing and these heavy undertones are carried along by the cartoon animation and humor.

If you love the intro you will love the show.
  17. Sep 11, 2014
    I hate most animated tv shows. This show is nothing like any other adult cartoon I have seen, IT has a very dark and kind of sad story, but at the same time has lots of jokes that make me giggle. There are also tons of little jokes and pokes at things that I know most people don't catch. It is a good dark comedy.
  18. Sep 10, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is a show that wears a couple of different hats. It's one of those comedies that's more about being a tragedy. It's a sort of dark humor with a societal commentary that seems to be having critics scratching their heads. There's a reason it's not on network television: most viewers going in would be expecting one thing and would miss the point. It's a very biting humor thatBoJack Horseman is a show that wears a couple of different hats. It's one of those comedies that's more about being a tragedy. It's a sort of dark humor with a societal commentary that seems to be having critics scratching their heads. There's a reason it's not on network television: most viewers going in would be expecting one thing and would miss the point. It's a very biting humor that rewards you the more of it you watch. Running jokes lighten up some of the darker moments (and there is quite a few), while the characters really drive the show. Most of the cast are kind of one-trick ponies with there being very little arcs to the characters but this almost feels intentional, as the show seems to be trying to turn old tropes on their heads. This is not a story about people changing -- it's a story about them staying the same and suffering for it, much like reality. Expand
  19. Sep 10, 2014
    I'll admit to being stand-off-ish at first... a talking horse? other talking animals? It's every bit as odd as it is funny. It goes pretty deep too. Will Arnett has some amazing voice-over work here.
  20. Sep 9, 2014
    i didn't put any thought will it be good or bad i was just bored. I put netflix on and it was on the front page. it wasn't so funny but i liked the characters enough to watch the 1st season. I mostly only liked bojack and some minor characters, but every character had great voice acting
  21. Sep 9, 2014
    Critics got this one dead wrong - BoJack is an incredible portrait of an individual suffering from the deeply felt anxieties that we all experience living today's society. It is incredibly rare for a show to tap so deeply into this vein with equal parts zany humor, smart dialogue, and overwhelming sadness. Netflix, listen to your audience!
  22. Sep 6, 2014
    A dirty little comedy series that has some clever little moments. Is it worth the watch, sure if you dig shows like Family Guy, Archer and the ilk. Don't expect much out of it and you'll have a good time.
  23. Sep 6, 2014
    Goofy, cynical humor all in good fun. The first episode plays it very safe, but as the season progresses the jokes get naughtier, stranger, and much more dark in tone.

Oddly enough it reminds me of Hotline Miami
  24. Sep 6, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is not the typical cartoon comedy it's advertisements make it out to be. That isn't a bad thing though. In fact, the commercials lowered my expectations for it greatly before I watched the thing. I went in thinking to waste an hour with a couple of tripe if not harmless episodes of a decently voice acted cartoon that could easily have been another Comedy Central animatedBoJack Horseman is not the typical cartoon comedy it's advertisements make it out to be. That isn't a bad thing though. In fact, the commercials lowered my expectations for it greatly before I watched the thing. I went in thinking to waste an hour with a couple of tripe if not harmless episodes of a decently voice acted cartoon that could easily have been another Comedy Central animated show to be canceled after one season. After binging on in for six or so hours to the shows completion, I can safely and happily say that I was dead wrong about it.

The show revolves around the titular BoJack Horseman, an anthropomorphic horse has-been television star as he tries to hold on to his stardom by way of writing an autobiography. Since he's procrastinated so long on the book, the failing publishing company hires him a ghost writer. He also deals with his over inflated ego and whatever life throws at him.

One thing about the plot and the characters that sets BoJack Horseman apart from other cartoon comedies is how the characters and the plot grow and evolve. Most every main and supporting character develops as the show goes along, transitioning from their sitcom-esque roles to something more three dimensional. Don't get me wrong, a lot of them stay within the stereotype they were cast in, from the egomaniac wash up, to the work obsessed woman of steel, to the introverted nerd girl. But, they develop so that they feel more like people than just character designs pasted to a list of vaguely relateable and hilarious personalities.

It should be known that this show has a dry sense of humor and sometimes a dark one. Nothing will be side splitting hilarious. So if that isn't your type of humor, then you probably won't get a chuckle out of it. If you're not sure if it's your kind of humor I recommend watching more than the pilot, which is bland and probably the lowest point of the show. At least the first two or three episodes to get a feel. It's a lot of time to waste, but since it's a Netflix exclusive it's time you can waste whenever you want.

Speaking of Netflix, I'd like to bring up that this show, like the new season of Arrested Development(maybe all of it), uses the online streaming format to it's advantage by throwing out a lot of running gags that may fall flat the first time around get better with each iteration. This works so well for Netflix rather than cable is because instead of watching one episode and waiting a week, you can watch any episode at any time. You don't have to worry about not being in on a reference from the previous episode because you missed that one last week or just forgot it happened.

Another good thing that comes out of this is the continuity. Things that would normally be throw away gags in other sitcoms and cartoons stay with the show for a few episodes, some until the very end. This builds the slightly bizarre world around BoJack Horseman and adds some weight to the plot and it's characters. It was a bit of a slap to the face to find that a few exchanged lines in an early episode help paint the plot of one that comes much later in the season.

BoJack Horseman is a unique show but isn't for everyone. For the audience that it does hit, it will hit hard. The cast is wonderfully voice acted and while the animation is well done flash animation, it should distract from the story. It's a hell of a ride for anyone interested in an old horse living in Hollywoo.
  25. Sep 6, 2014
    So I'm a bit more hipster the the average person and the sight of a tv show based around a horse grabbed my attention. The voice action was above average so I was pretty happy about that. The writing was great but not the way that you probably wanted it to be. I shipped BoJack and Diane so bad. I almost cried when something happens. Over all it was a great show that you wont forget.So I'm a bit more hipster the the average person and the sight of a tv show based around a horse grabbed my attention. The voice action was above average so I was pretty happy about that. The writing was great but not the way that you probably wanted it to be. I shipped BoJack and Diane so bad. I almost cried when something happens. Over all it was a great show that you wont forget. Especially if you binge watch the first season in one night like I did. 10/10 best show in history of history. Also Dr. Who, Suspenders and old cameras. Oh and Adventure Time. The end. Expand
  26. Sep 5, 2014
    Someone said this show is more clever than funny although this is true it's also very funny and imagine not only will it get better next season but also upon multiple viewings.
  27. Sep 3, 2014
    I gave this show a 10, because once you get past the godawful first three episodes, it grows into something unique that I haven't really seen done by any other comedy. I'd describe it as a mix of Entourage, Family Guy, and The Stranger by Albert Camus.

The middle episodes aren't laugh-a-minute, but they have some genuinely hilarious jokes, a ton of great references, and really engaging characters. By the penultimate episode, you'll be feeling genuine emotions for horse- and cat-people.

I'd give it a shot, each episode is only 25 minutes long anyway.
  28. Sep 3, 2014
    I just thought it would give me a few laughs, but coming out of that show I'll never feel the same again... Has amazing views on things like the media and things like that, worth a watch.
  29. Sep 3, 2014
    I've seen a good few negative reviews of BoJack Horseman, from critics and viewers, and I can certainly see why anyone that stopped watching after one or two episodes would hold those views as the show doesn't start all that strongly.

After a slow start however things do start to pick up. The continuity from episode to episode really helps build momentum, adding a bit more depth to proceedings than many other animated series, as well as allowing for some funny 'Arrested Development' style running jokes. The strong voice cast (that includes Will Arnett, Allison Brie and Aaron Paul) helps make the best of the script meaning that, even though it doesn't often threaten to reach the heights of shows such as The Simpsons or Archer at their best, BoJack Horseman does enough during this debut season for me to want to watch the confirmed second season.
  30. Sep 2, 2014
    I had seen this show on Netflix a number of times and passed it over... I usually find animated series for the adult audience a bit well, meh.

But upon a recommendation from a friend I decided to give it a go. After two episodes I was hooked. Whilst most of the humour was of the chuckle variety as opposed to belly laughs, there were genuine moments where I had tears rolling down my

But upon a recommendation from a friend I decided to give it a go.

After two episodes I was hooked. Whilst most of the humour was of the chuckle variety as opposed to belly laughs, there were genuine moments where I had tears rolling down my face.

I look ahead to the next series with excitement!
  31. Sep 1, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is at surface level another animated adult show with a weird premise, but after finishing out the first season(I do hope for a season 2) I found it to be quite good. The comedy while not laugh out loud funny is enjoyable(especially in the later episodes), it also has a rather deep narrative. Overall this is a great show, in the piles of unthoughtful media(Family Guy,BoJack Horseman is at surface level another animated adult show with a weird premise, but after finishing out the first season(I do hope for a season 2) I found it to be quite good. The comedy while not laugh out loud funny is enjoyable(especially in the later episodes), it also has a rather deep narrative. Overall this is a great show, in the piles of unthoughtful media(Family Guy, Squidbillies, and numerous others) is a rare gem. Expand
  32. Sep 1, 2014
    The first episode is mediocre. The second episode is worse. But both are necessary for the truly outstanding second half of the season. (And that the professional critics were given only the first half of the season feels very unjust.) This is one of the first half hour shows that I know of that was designed to be a cohesive season, and it should not be judged on an episode-by-episodeThe first episode is mediocre. The second episode is worse. But both are necessary for the truly outstanding second half of the season. (And that the professional critics were given only the first half of the season feels very unjust.) This is one of the first half hour shows that I know of that was designed to be a cohesive season, and it should not be judged on an episode-by-episode basis. To stop watching this show after an episode or two would be the equivalent of walking out of a movie. That being said, it is a massive time investment, but one that I am truly glad I made, albeit unintentionally. I thought I was just watching a crappy show whose gimmicks kept me entertained. I am glad that those carried me over into what the creators really wanted to do in the second half.

That is the nature of the show, but as far as what it is about... Its about being lonely, scared, regretful, lost, and somewhat ironically, being human.

One point removed from a 10/10 score because what had to be achieved in the first six episodes probably could have been done in four, and there was some oddly placed humor in the second half that distracted from the poignancy of some of the moments.
  33. Sep 1, 2014
    After having seen this show come up multiple times online I decided to watch it, on a whim. After having watched the first two back-to-back I got word that it gets much better later, enticing me to continue onward with the show. Boy does it ever. On the outside it appears to be a quirky comedy about a talking horse-man, but once you start watching you begin to relate with BoJack and theAfter having seen this show come up multiple times online I decided to watch it, on a whim. After having watched the first two back-to-back I got word that it gets much better later, enticing me to continue onward with the show. Boy does it ever. On the outside it appears to be a quirky comedy about a talking horse-man, but once you start watching you begin to relate with BoJack and the cast of characters which surround him. I couldn't help but compare it to other animated shows like King of the Hill or Morel Orel in which have plenty of funny moments but also takes you for an emotional roller coaster. BoJack does more of the latter with the former sprinkled in. While, admittedly, the first two episodes are somewhat mediocre for the most part each episode compliments the last well. If you're looking for cutaway jokes and toilet humor this probably isn't the right show however if you're looking for a character driven narration this is for you. Expand
  34. Aug 31, 2014
    The most interesting thing in the show is the progressive development of the characters, mainly the protagonist. When I saw the first episode I believed that was just one more funny show with nice references, but in the end of season, I was really surprised with the work in this animation.
  35. Aug 31, 2014
    This is a Netflix original staring Will Arnett,Alison Brie
    and Aaron Paul. It's a alright animated series
    with it's good parts and slow parts. It does have a nice change of pace from most TV shows on Netflix. The humor isn't for everyone but it has some points where it really works and it pays off. Seeing all the different celebrity cameos they have in the show is a nice touch to.
    This is a Netflix original staring Will Arnett,Alison Brie
    and Aaron Paul. It's a alright animated series
    with it's good parts and slow parts. It does have
    a nice change of pace from most TV shows on
    Netflix. The humor isn't for everyone but it has some
    points where it really works and it pays off.
    Seeing all the different celebrity cameos they
    have in the show is a nice touch to.
    Overall it's a decent 12 Episode show and worth
    watching if you are a fan of the voice actors
    and off beat humor.

ToFewViews.
  36. Aug 31, 2014
    Bojack Horseman starts off having nothing really going for it. It's got some good lines here and there, but the first few episodes really drag on. But by the end, it actually gets fantastic. The last 3-4 episodes are worth dragging through the early crap. It was a show that the writers at first didn't seem to know what to do with, but by the end of season 1, it is simply fantastic.
  37. Aug 31, 2014
    A pretty humorous take on Hollywood personalities, though it is indeed more of a drama series. The characters are likeable and deep, and the story is paced pretty well. Although I have a feeling that they probably should end the show at season 1, because it ended quite well.
  38. Aug 30, 2014
    So heavily influenced from the Family Guy, it almost feels like they're just doing what worked at some point in time for comedy just to cash in on the trend. The show relies so heavily on the format of flash back gags, it hardly feels original at all when it tries to deliver a joke. Sometimes the jokes don't know when to stop. It's like when a friend keeps adding on to a bad joke toSo heavily influenced from the Family Guy, it almost feels like they're just doing what worked at some point in time for comedy just to cash in on the trend. The show relies so heavily on the format of flash back gags, it hardly feels original at all when it tries to deliver a joke. Sometimes the jokes don't know when to stop. It's like when a friend keeps adding on to a bad joke to recover, but never does cause you keep waiting for it to. There's no cane to pull the jokes off the stage. The cane never came.

The only original aspect of the show is the concept, which actually is the show's only redeeming quality. Unfortunately there's only so much a good idea for a story can do if it bombs the genre it's in. Maybe they should just go for a drama. I mean Netflix is already good at those.
  39. Aug 29, 2014
    I was sceptical. I hadn´t heard of the show, but I had a moment of boredom, and decided to give it a shot. I was glad I did. This has quickly become my favourite show of the year. I for one can´t fathom the critics review of this show.
  40. Aug 29, 2014
    The first episode wasn't very good. Reminded me of Family Guy. Seemed like the same formula, but I continued watching because Arnett/Paul. The show really developed throughout the season. Very funny and relatively serious at points.
  41. Aug 28, 2014
    This show is great in my opinion. Not to the calibre of House Of Cards or Orange Is The New Black, but it has potential to be one of the greats. The first episode is not really good, but much like OITNB, it progresses as it gets older. After a few episodes this show grows in to its self. About the first 4-5 episodes this show thinks its a comedy with small dramatic undertones and itThis show is great in my opinion. Not to the calibre of House Of Cards or Orange Is The New Black, but it has potential to be one of the greats. The first episode is not really good, but much like OITNB, it progresses as it gets older. After a few episodes this show grows in to its self. About the first 4-5 episodes this show thinks its a comedy with small dramatic undertones and it finally realizes that the writing is clever and not laugh out loud and they grow in to a drama with some comedy. Give it the first few episodes and you'll want to religiously binge the rest of it like other great shows on netflix. I am obsessed Expand
  42. Aug 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you've logged into Netflix this past week or so, you may have noticed there's a new animated show that looks like the facebook photos from that one weird friend of yours that bought and wears a horse head mask... and the show is called "BoJack Horseman."

Then you start watching. And you hear some familiar voices, Will Arnett's Marlboro Country voice brings the titular character of "BoJack" to life. He's the perfect person for the character. Bojack has all the best and worst features of Arnett's catalog of characters. But there's much much more to him than just "G.O.B." in Horseface.

Next we meet Todd, the Kato Kaelin of show. He's just some guy that sleeps on BoJack's couch, subtly voiced by Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, the character seems like a throw away sidekick. "Princess Carolyn" portrayed by Amy Sedaris is BoJack's off again on again lover / agent, and his best frenemy "Mr Peanut Butter" played by Paul F. Thompkins and Alison Brie as "Diane" rounds out the main cast, with additional voices from Patton Oswalt and several others from the Alt comedy world as reoccurring roles.

BoJack Horseman lives large in his swanky pad in the Hollywoo(d) Hills, that has a great view of the Hollywoo(d) sign, in a way that seems fairly unlikely if you're familiar with Los Angeles actual geography (as with the view from Princess Carolyn's office view of the Malibu coast, when the building is the middle of the city around Mid-Wilshire). BoJack was the star of network sitcom "Horsin' Around," with a fairly trite premise, a bachelor winds up having to raise several random children. Which not-coincidentally happens to be the same premise of his friend's show "Mr Peanut Butter's House"only he's raising twin girls. Oh, Network TV... how the 90s were such simpler times. But now he's burned most of the bridges in town, he's gotten a bit fat, has a wee bit of a drinking problem and he's a few... months behind in his autobiography and has burned through his advance, so he hires a ghost writer, "Diane" (Alison Brie) to put his life on the page.

The Los Angeles of "BoJack Horseman" is similar to the New York of "Ugly Americans" as are the art styles, where anthropomorphic animals live and work side by side with normal humans, only no one makes any big deal about it. BoJack isn't a guy with a horsehead mask, he's a horse that walks on two legs, and has a KanYe West level ego. The absurdity is nonchalant, and you quickly get past how there's almost more animal people than people people. Los Angeles is a melting pot.

Where the show gets you, after it establishes the characters, is how real it is. Yes, there is the occasional Family Guy-esque cutaway for an odd joke or sight gag, but at its heart, it's Louie meets Entourage in the best way possible. You see the the day-to-day of Hollywood, and it's also character driven. BoJack starts to fall in love with his biographer, Diane, and doesn't understand that he's not actually in love with her as the person. she's merely a cypher for everyone else's ego. She's from Boston, and in an episode she takes BoJack home with her to visit her family to find her sports obsessed brothers just put icepacks on their recently deceased father, in his chair on the other side of the living room, because they were too busy watching a tape of a Baseball game from '86, to actually do something. Everything falls onto Diane's shoulders, at home in Boston, with BoJack as well as her boyfriend, Mr Peanut Butter, who marries her, because he thinks that what she wants, and we follow several episodes of BoJack attempting to woo her, because he feels like he's in love with her because she listens to him.

Towards the end of the season, they set the jokes to the backburner and we get to delve deeper into BoJack's past, he gets a call from his friend who announces he has cancer, and BoJack has to go to Malibu to visit, but doesn't want to as its been twenty years since they last saw eachother and it hadn't ended well. The latter part of the season gets down right poignant when BoJack is forced to deal with his mortality and goes on a drug fueled bender after disapproving of the manuscript Diane submitted to his publisher, claiming he can write a better book by the weekend, but he ends up accepting.

The show also plays around with words quite a bit, like when BoJack gets into PR war with a Navy SEAL who is actually a Seal, and when BoJack's agent gets him a job for an Herbal German Bourbon commercial, word play worthy of Arrested Development. Despite the show's rocky first few episodes, as the series progresses it gets better and better, delving into heart of the fickle mistress that is fame. BoJack Horseman is a helluva show. It would have been right at home on adultswim, or possibly FXX but with NetFlix, you're able to binge the whole 12 episode run over a day or so, which you'll be glad you did.
  43. Aug 28, 2014
    This show is awesome. It got better and better. I went into it only expecting a ridiculous and outlandish comedy in the style of family guy, but was surprised to find it had so much more. It has a lot of heart and makes some serious social commentary on our society. I couldn't stop watching and within 2 days I had finished the season. The ending of the first season, last 2 episodes,This show is awesome. It got better and better. I went into it only expecting a ridiculous and outlandish comedy in the style of family guy, but was surprised to find it had so much more. It has a lot of heart and makes some serious social commentary on our society. I couldn't stop watching and within 2 days I had finished the season. The ending of the first season, last 2 episodes, really moved me. I left with a need to watch more Bojack, who is actually comes off as a whole and complex person, I mean horse. I can't wait for season 2 to premier! Expand
  44. Aug 28, 2014
    It's not as bad as reviewers write. It is not my all-time favorite, but if you like Rick & Morty or Archer (and you have to wait for the new episodes) than BoJack Horseman will give you some entertaining hours.
  45. Aug 27, 2014
    Here we have a show that's already criminally underrated because people aren't willing to stick around and let it grow on them, maybe they're expecting something else because of the premise? The best part of this series is the way the narrative expands and the characters actually grow. That really took me by surprise because I was totally expecting it to come off as overly vulgar for theHere we have a show that's already criminally underrated because people aren't willing to stick around and let it grow on them, maybe they're expecting something else because of the premise? The best part of this series is the way the narrative expands and the characters actually grow. That really took me by surprise because I was totally expecting it to come off as overly vulgar for the sake of quick laughs. It's not that, this show's for the people who are looking for a little more from their animated comedies than something shallow, and while yes, he is a horse-man, Bojack's plight ends up interesting and funny, but most of all, it's endearing. Expand
  46. Aug 27, 2014
    i enjoyed this show a great deal. i hope netflix continues to push out into strange waters like they did here. Bojack was a 90's sitcom star, and now at 50 is a washed up b-list celebrity has-been with a massive ego which starts to crumble as he realizes (through working with an autobiography ghost writer) what a massive jerk he is. this has many funny moments, but as it goes on, iti enjoyed this show a great deal. i hope netflix continues to push out into strange waters like they did here. Bojack was a 90's sitcom star, and now at 50 is a washed up b-list celebrity has-been with a massive ego which starts to crumble as he realizes (through working with an autobiography ghost writer) what a massive jerk he is. this has many funny moments, but as it goes on, it becomes more than a comedy. it's a witty, humorous, but heartfelt trip through a series of existential crises experienced by a man(ish) approaching that time of life where he needs to know how he's added up. great voice acting all around, though at times i wish the animation was a little smoother. will arnett and aaron paul stand out, with strong supporting cast including patton oswalt. Expand
  47. Aug 27, 2014
    There is all different type of comedies and this is one i enjoy. I find it entertaining enough to keep on watching. I watched the whole series in one day. People are used to to family guy type funny which i do not find funny anymore. This type is my like Adult Swim comedy. Rick and Morty, and Cleveland Show, and American Dad funny.
  48. Aug 27, 2014
    Like many will say, the show starts off bad.
    However, it finishes strongly leaving you with a taste for more.
    The characters have depth and will get you thinking about some of the stupid things you do in life.

I enjoyed it more than I would've first thought.
  49. Aug 27, 2014
    I'm shocked by some of the critical responses to BoJack. The writing deserves a whole lot more respect, a) for its commitment to character-driven storytelling (hence its comparison to Archer) and b) for its dry and entirely bleak sense of humour.

The show certainly improves with successive episodes but a lot of that is to do with the way that the farce is allowed to play out throughout the season (rather than being contained in any specific episode - again, like Archer). However, what makes it feel special is its commitment to depicting real life in all of its absurd and upsetting glory.

TVs full of cynical and often poignant parodies/critiques of showbiz and American Narcisism - albeit in the lighthearted way that Arrested Dev, 30Rock and Always Sunny all are. Personally, I think that BoJack offers the genre a hilarious and heavy-hearted version of the same and a much needed antidote to a lot of the underinteligent and storyless crap that people seem to love so much.

Also, it does indeed have an awesome cast and some great voice work.
  50. Aug 26, 2014
    In the first few episodes, you can tell that the creators weren't entirely sure where to take the series. The story really doesn't develop until about 7 episodes in. It takes a turn like something you'd see in Louie. It becomes much more serious. Bojack as a character develops along with the range of jokes in the show. The use of flashbacks to give the backdrop throughout the season isIn the first few episodes, you can tell that the creators weren't entirely sure where to take the series. The story really doesn't develop until about 7 episodes in. It takes a turn like something you'd see in Louie. It becomes much more serious. Bojack as a character develops along with the range of jokes in the show. The use of flashbacks to give the backdrop throughout the season is wonderfully executed. Whereas Family guy uses flashbacks as a poorly placed joke with no significance, BoJack's flashbacks give you a glimpse into his mind and where it all began as well as where it all went wrong. Failed relationships, betrayal and rebirth all find their way into a gut-busting Animated comedy that should not be missed. Expand
  51. Aug 26, 2014
    So, I just finished the first season of BoJack Horseman, and I'm honestly surprised on how much I enjoyed it and how much it made me think.
    For one, this show seemed really really unappealing when I saw it advertised on Netflix, like, it just kind of seemed weird and not something I'd be in to.
    I gave it a chance, at first I just saw it as another comedy with funny little moments, but then as I got farther and farther in, it made me think, think a lot.
    It made me think about who I am and why I act the way I do, this show did a FANTASTIC job of making me think about different things.
    Example: BoJack goes to the store, finds a penguin that has called 'Dibs' on a pack of Muffins, seems kind of stupid and childish, right? Well, it further goes in to some controversial topics, and brings up that sometimes your opinion might be right, but in the end sometimes what's right isn't what's considered correct.
    I have to say, this series has really made me think, and I have no regrets watching it
  52. Aug 26, 2014
    This is not even remotely funny. I only watched the first episode, but if you can't pull in people within the first episode I think that's a problem. For comparison purposes I do enjoy shows that are actually funny and they can have just as ridiculous of a premise as BoJack Horseman. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of my favorite shows, but unless it miraculously gets better in episode 2This is not even remotely funny. I only watched the first episode, but if you can't pull in people within the first episode I think that's a problem. For comparison purposes I do enjoy shows that are actually funny and they can have just as ridiculous of a premise as BoJack Horseman. Aqua Teen Hunger Force is one of my favorite shows, but unless it miraculously gets better in episode 2 I'd steer clear. Expand
  53. Aug 26, 2014
    **** all the idiots that think this show isn't funny, if you're looking for something with the visual finesse of rick and morty, combined with the character interactions of arrested development you'll love this show. One of my favourite first seasons of all time, make more.
  54. Aug 26, 2014
    BoJack Horseman has a lot going against it initially what with the generic looking characters and tween animation. At first glance it doesn't seem like it will be any good and just be lumped off as another crude comedy. It is, but it also has an extreme layer of depth like none I've ever seen in an adult cartoon show. Though crude, it's humor never reaches the levels of a Seth McfarlaneBoJack Horseman has a lot going against it initially what with the generic looking characters and tween animation. At first glance it doesn't seem like it will be any good and just be lumped off as another crude comedy. It is, but it also has an extreme layer of depth like none I've ever seen in an adult cartoon show. Though crude, it's humor never reaches the levels of a Seth Mcfarlane cartoon, Bojack shows restraint for the crude jokes, but also has a sense to treat characters like characters who have arcs and issues of their own. Bojack is a literal deconstruction of the "Jerk with a Heart of Gold" trope, being a washed up 90s actor trying to rise back again, all while coming to terms with his past actions and how he ended up a sad person in what was suppose to be a life of luxury. There is some powerful stuff in this show that no other animated sitcom dare not attempt(much like Rick and Morty). The laughs come from getting to know these characters rather than them telling a joke, and while it really comes down to taste, the laughs I had were great. To explain the themes in BoJack Horseman is to undermine the performances of the actors, because you can't understand or appreciate those themes by having someone told in a review, it must be watched. BoJack Horseman is a crude adult cartoon, but none like any other. Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2014
    Reading the critical reviews for this show totally blows me away. They read as if the critic didn't even watch the show beyond the first episode. This not supposed to be 'Archer', the show is actually way more complex than you would expect, and as others have noted, is actually a bit of a drama. The show is actually kind of wonderfully complex, with more believable characters than mostReading the critical reviews for this show totally blows me away. They read as if the critic didn't even watch the show beyond the first episode. This not supposed to be 'Archer', the show is actually way more complex than you would expect, and as others have noted, is actually a bit of a drama. The show is actually kind of wonderfully complex, with more believable characters than most of the **** you people seem to like. Expand
  56. Aug 26, 2014
    BoJack Horseman is a show that starts off bad, ends up being good enough to want more after 12 episodes, all the while fully being aware that there is a lot of wasted potential on this show. The voice acting is terrific, veterans of cartoon work all, and with each episode it gets slightly better, and you can honestly feel with every 80's reference and well delivered line that if theBoJack Horseman is a show that starts off bad, ends up being good enough to want more after 12 episodes, all the while fully being aware that there is a lot of wasted potential on this show. The voice acting is terrific, veterans of cartoon work all, and with each episode it gets slightly better, and you can honestly feel with every 80's reference and well delivered line that if the writing were better this could be an Archer level of unique and good.
    The writing is what keeps this show out of an 8, 9, or 10. it was barely passable as humor in the first episode, and while it does get better is not on par with the Bob's Burgers of the day or Dr. Katz of the past. Anyone putting it as higher than a 7 is probably overcompensating for the people on here that saw one episode and gave it a 1 (really wish you would stop posting pre mature reviews people) and anything lower than a 5 is too harsh on a unique idea that needs a chance to grow on you like most unique ideas.
  57. Aug 25, 2014
    This show is a gem.

I went into it expecting it to be empty with comedy on-par with Family Guy or American Dad (which are both entertaining in their own way) and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's as complex as it is trippy, ie. seeing a horse with a cat as an ex-gf and totally being on board.
  58. Aug 25, 2014
    I felt compelled to sign up for meta critic just to write a review for this show to try and encourage people to watch it so that they'll make a second season. I found the show laugh out loud funny and it was interesting enough that I didn't feel the need to surf the internet while watching, which is actually saying a lot as I have a very short attention span. Please give Bojack a chanceI felt compelled to sign up for meta critic just to write a review for this show to try and encourage people to watch it so that they'll make a second season. I found the show laugh out loud funny and it was interesting enough that I didn't feel the need to surf the internet while watching, which is actually saying a lot as I have a very short attention span. Please give Bojack a chance so I can have a second season, or at the very least netflix will keep making shows like Bojack Horseman. Expand
  59. Aug 25, 2014
    It starts off looking like every other adult animated sitcom with it's crude (and very funny) jokes and out-there world. However as the show progresses it turns into something more. It's surprisingly deep, dark, and cynical. It's characters all feel like real people at the end of the episode despite the absurdities of their personalities, like the fact that the majority of them are talkingIt starts off looking like every other adult animated sitcom with it's crude (and very funny) jokes and out-there world. However as the show progresses it turns into something more. It's surprisingly deep, dark, and cynical. It's characters all feel like real people at the end of the episode despite the absurdities of their personalities, like the fact that the majority of them are talking animals, that the writers include for the humor.

"BoJack Horseman" is just an average, lonely guy who just wants people to love him but doesn't know how to get them to. He's extremely flawed and because of that completely relatable. As the show progresses and as you get to know him, you want to see him find the happiness he's struggling so hard to find. It asks the question of how can he and will he achieve this happiness? And it doesn't have the answer.

It paints a beautiful, bleak, and painful look at look at life, while simultaneously showing us a hilarious and over-the-top look at "Hollywood." The outrageous situations and goofy characters keep the laughs coming even when things get dark. However the humor isn't going to be for everyone. It did come from ShadowMachine after all, whose work includes the divisive "TripTank."

Still I feel that there's a little something here for everyone, whether it be outrageous humor or the more profound moments. I for one can't wait for some more episodes. My total score is a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  60. Aug 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bojack Horseman starts as a comical look into a former celebrities life and how he is dealing with it. We find out early on he is supposed to be writing about a book about his life, but as his attitude will predict, he's not doing it. After he tries and fails to get get Bojack writing his book, the publisher of Penguin(who is a literal penguin) decides to get Bojack a ghost writer- who coincidentally wrote the book on Secretariat, Bojack's hero. It's a simple concept but it's presented in a clever and often comical way. If you are a fan of shows like Community, Archer, or even just animated shows that poke fun at celebrities and life, this show is yours to watch. I highly recommend watching all 12 episodes. Expand
  61. Aug 25, 2014
    I went into this series expecting very little, only to find something unexpectedly hilarious. Hilarious, and sometimes quite deep, too. BoJack Horseman is one of those rare series that mixes complete irreverence with the occasional deep meaningful insight. It's a hard mix to pull off, but the show does it quite well.

Now I won't lie, this isn't the firecracker joke-every-minute type

Now I won't lie, this isn't the firecracker joke-every-minute type of series. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to set up the humor, but the payoff is definitely worth it. The first episode in particular took about 10 minutes to really get fully into gear, but once it had established the setting and the setup it got very funny very fast. The jokes are rather funny, but more than that they're sometimes bitingly funny and dark. If that's your kind of humor, this show will deliver, especially since so few shows seem to have that kind of humor.

Another thing BoJack does which few others do is maintain continuity, and usually does so for maximum comedic effect. What would normally be a dumb throw-away joke in another series becomes something that pops up in later episodes, repeatedly in many cases. It allows the show to establish several running jokes, most that only get funnier as they go on.

Probably the biggest surprise for me though were the number of moments when the show got "deep", for lack of a better term. Insightful, meaningful moments... and most of the time still funny as well. The show's not afraid to have dramatic moments (nothing too downer though), and the contrast often makes the humor that much better.

Overall, BoJack Horseman took me by surprise in the best of ways. It is without a doubt one of the funniest animated shows that I've ever watched. There are some funnier shows out there at the moment, but that doesn't make this one any less outstanding. If you like dark, sometimes bleak, often biting humor then you should watch this show.
  62. Aug 25, 2014
    Great show, very funny and the characters actually have depth. There is a great story that brings you along with its development through the season. I really hope there is a second season.
  63. Aug 24, 2014
    Californication meets Archer.

Yes its a dumb comedy... at the surface.

Then it all unfolds itself and it lets you thinking, if a comedy (specially a cartoon) can become thought provoking while still being fun then its a huge success in my book, don't care what the critics say I really hope we get a 2nd season.
  64. Aug 24, 2014
    The main problem with this series is that you start watching waiting for a comedy, and i really is more a drama, the first three or four episodes where very "funny" but when the drama hits the story, it seems its not so funny anymore, but the internal problems and traumas from the characters, makes it a good series
  65. Aug 24, 2014
    This show is worth sticking around for. While each episode may not be as contained and tight of a story as other animated tv shows, the season as a whole lends itself perfectly to Netflix. Over time you learn more about the characters and more about BoJack, and all of them have a lot of depth to them. The jokes are funny and clever, and that is one of the shows major strengths. TheThis show is worth sticking around for. While each episode may not be as contained and tight of a story as other animated tv shows, the season as a whole lends itself perfectly to Netflix. Over time you learn more about the characters and more about BoJack, and all of them have a lot of depth to them. The jokes are funny and clever, and that is one of the shows major strengths. The cleverness of the writing can always warrant at least a grin and a nod, as you think to yourself, "I see what you did there." The voice acting is great and it shows when the show takes more serious and less comical turns. The show explores deep themes and also satirizes the world of celebrities, and this is the reason to stay around. The show, which on it surface is a comedy, is on a deeper level a look at life and also a rewarding one. Expand
  66. Aug 24, 2014
    This is a great show! Continuity, attention to detail, pathos. Little lines of dialogue that seem unimportant come back later; it's extremely self-referential and I think there is something to be gained from repeat viewings. It starts slow but once it finds its footing it is a really incredible piece of work.
  67. Aug 24, 2014
    The hilarity of this show is spawned from the shear genius of the details it provides played perfectly by a carefully and most intelligently crafted cast. When not over thought, it has a "suck you in" factor like no other.
  68. Aug 24, 2014
    This show will not be for everyone. This show is for people who, although nothing close to depressed, will sometimes spend a day in a melancholic stupor wondering about their life's struggles and where they are headed. This is not for the ultimate optimist or that guy who is always chipper no matter what. BoJak Horseman starts of feeling like any other animated adult cartoon, it feelsThis show will not be for everyone. This show is for people who, although nothing close to depressed, will sometimes spend a day in a melancholic stupor wondering about their life's struggles and where they are headed. This is not for the ultimate optimist or that guy who is always chipper no matter what. BoJak Horseman starts of feeling like any other animated adult cartoon, it feels rehashed, but it gets you to chuckle and it leashes you in to the next episode and that's a great thing because with each new episode the character that is BoJak is explored just a little further, revealing a dark melancholic Horseman that's very flawed and all to human (despite his horselike physique). The show shows a portrait of what life sometimes really is, unfortunate and depressing, the ending does not give the happy ending that BoJak ultimately wanted but it also does not leave him in destructive depression like his hero. In the end BoJak Horseman's first season leaves it's titular character in a very human situation, he did not get exactly what he wanted or really anything of what he wanted but he's learned from his experiences and he presses forward to the next day with just a little bit of hope and optimism. This series could stand on its own with just one season, you chuckle at the absurdity of the anthropomorphic world this series is based in and all the while it draws you in to the real meat of its truly relatable and human feelings all expressed with a very long face. Expand
  69. Aug 24, 2014
    Hilarious after the first episode, but not especially unique. Its thoroughly modern social references make the show an ephemeral spectacle. Good laughs and great cast!
  70. Aug 23, 2014
    Poor pacing, retread material but great voice work by Arnett. This had great potential. Too bad. There wasn't an Archer-level line in the entire show.
  71. Aug 23, 2014
    I wouldn't have stuck around past the first five minutes of BJH were it not for a mind-blowing voiceover cast rolling past me in the credits, absolutely all of whom are folks whose body of acting and/or comedy work I greatly respect and largely adore, and that's even WITHOUT the long and stellar list of plot-pivotal guests like Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford and Kristen Schaal. The firstI wouldn't have stuck around past the first five minutes of BJH were it not for a mind-blowing voiceover cast rolling past me in the credits, absolutely all of whom are folks whose body of acting and/or comedy work I greatly respect and largely adore, and that's even WITHOUT the long and stellar list of plot-pivotal guests like Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford and Kristen Schaal. The first episode still didn't impress me much, but I began to enjoy it much more as characters and the serial storyline were better established for me.

One big problem with the show early on: The show doesn't seem to know if it wants Arnett / Horseman to be yet another Will-Arnett-as-Gob variant, or whether he should be a more sober, competent, decidedly non-Gob-like character. As the series plays out episode by episode (and particularly past the first six episodes that I gather most critics previewed), the show slowly works out this inconsistency and accordingly moves into darker, yet funnier, places.

The above problem is symptomatic of another problem: the show just doesn't have the originality that a cast like this would suggest. The universe, plot, and gags-- both visual and scripted-- are dense and obviously thought out. Actually, maybe all this was a little *too* carefully thought-out, giving the deadly sense of trying too hard on occasion. This is unfortunately most true in the first few episodes, which feel especially forced. I get the sense that all the advance attention to detail-- probably to help the show meet a budget-- forcibly ironed out a lot of things that could be much funnier, particularly in its choice to too closely ape a few other shows that smart people tend to enjoy.

For instance, the show tries to steal the Matt Thompson / Adam Reed trick (Archer / Frisky Dingo) of turning tossed-off mid-script nonsequiturs into unlikely, increasingly hilarious catchphrases, only to discover that making that trick actually work is a lot harder than it looks for anyone that *isn't* Matt Thompson / Adam Reed.

And-- Arnett aside-- with all the insta-cutaways and frequent flashbacks into the multi-decade backstory, they also obviously wanted something with a bit of an Arrested Development vibe. Instead, they often get something a little more like... Family Guy. No, from this author, that comparison is NOT a compliment (and it's not just because of the animation!).

But overall, the show still succeeds, still made me laugh frequently once I was in sync with its characters, and I was actually quite moved / touched in the last few episodes, where things take an increasingly Louie-ish turn into laughable bleakness. I actually think this is better than the majority of Netflix's original series so far ('course, I'm not counting AD nor all the British imports) and I don't regret watching. Heck, it was worth it just to hear Aaron Paul "sing." And I think a second series could be much better with the lessons presumably learned by the creators this time out.

One last thing: Although it's getting to be a very crowded market, the closing theme by Grouplove is the most insufferable, banal example of cheap-reverb-drenched, whine-driven Pitchfork pap suitable only for artisanal gluten-free bakeries, skinny-jeans shops and current-day megabank commercials that I can think of. I know nothing about this band but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were actively engaging in attempted parody with this particular commission. But the closing credits alone were almost enough to remove whatever enjoyment I took from the show at the end of each episode.
  72. Aug 23, 2014
    BoJack Horseman suffers from one major flaw, maybe two. [1] it is not funny. [2] It has no relevance whatsoever. I will be honest to admit that I watched only about ten minutes of the first episode at which time I could stand it no longer.

Maybe I'm just not hip enough. Maybe I just don't like completely wasting my time.
  73. Aug 22, 2014
    Bojack Horseman is a great start to what could be a fantastic series, Will Arnett perfectly brings to life the title character and the struggles he goes through that border between funny to depressing. It begins like any normal animated comedy trying to entertain you with it's jokes but as it progresses and it becomes less about the jokes and more about the character of Bojack which is farBojack Horseman is a great start to what could be a fantastic series, Will Arnett perfectly brings to life the title character and the struggles he goes through that border between funny to depressing. It begins like any normal animated comedy trying to entertain you with it's jokes but as it progresses and it becomes less about the jokes and more about the character of Bojack which is far more compelling. It also has a great supporting cast with Aaron Paul lending his voice as Bojack's friend and roommate, this is not your Family Guy's or Simpsons where a joke a scene exists in it's own vacuum of reality and things are brought back.

The series ends on both a satisfying conclusion and one that leaves plenty of room for another season one that could prove even greater than this one, the character's are likeable with some level of depth and Bojack being the star of the show not just in a literal sense. It is without a doubt worth the watch.

There are so many background jokes and one-liners and silly animals that the show's emotional depth caught me by surprise.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    Aug 25, 2014
    Like some of television’s more out-there animated shows, this one is hard to describe beyond broad outlines, because it’s so odd, a combination of droll and naughty that seems improbable but works deliciously.
  3. Reviewed by: Hank Stuever
    Aug 22, 2014
    A strange and somewhat delightful animated comedy.