Breaking Bad : Season 4

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.5

Universal acclaim- based on 1974 Ratings

1. Nov 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The more I watch of this show the more disgusted I am that it's so popular. The premiere of season 4 is my least favorite episode of Breaking Bad to date. Throughout the episode, people do things that don't make sense in order to push the plot in interesting directions. In fact, the whole first half of season 4 just made me angry. People kept acting out of character. The famous line, "I am the one who knocks," is from season 4, and it is not an example of Walt being a badass. It is Walt being scared and petty and human. I think I would like the show more if it seemed to acknowledge more that Walt is this way. The late-middle episodes of the fourth season do a good job of this. But then the finale ruins it by portraying him as a genius mastermind. Let me just get this out there: Walt's plan sucked. Gus was smart enough to know not to walk back to his car at the hospital. So why did he fall for Walt's last plan? Because the season was ending, and the writers wanted Gus to die. Then there are the gaping questions that run rampant throughout other seasons, but are especially evident in season 4. How has Hank not figured out that Walt is the blue meth guy? Why doesn't Gus film the meth manufacturing secretly and then kill Walt and Jesse after he figures out the process? If season 5 isn't as good as people say, I have wasted a lot of time on this show. Expand
  2. Feb 8, 2014
    The Show should rather be called "bad decisions" than "breaking bad"!

Don't get me wrong. I like the acting, how well it's made and the general ideas are great but man, this constant irrational behaviour and the ongoing stupid decisions that don't make any sense in any least bit of sane mind are making mad! Sauls Secretary said it very well at the end of season four as she yells at
    The Show should rather be called "bad decisions" than "breaking bad"!

Sauls Secretary said it very well at the end of season four as she yells at the again whiny and panicky acting Walt that doesn't listen and is mumbling his explanations that don't make sense. She then said: "Oh, you and your partner are in danger after doing something idiotic? Whoop-dee-freaking-doo! How is that news exactly? Why do you think Saul isn't here?"
    Man was I glad that somebody told these guys this already!

And what was that stupid move of Walt in mid season? When he told Hank to look closer and search for the guy behind all this AFTER he settled for dead genius!!
    And don't argue with he was drunk or something. Someone who can articulate himself like Walt in this scene isn't nearly drunk enough to miss how stupid that is! It's not bold, it's not tough or badass - it's plain and simple stupid! What else could he have asked for? Nobody was looking for them anymore! the evidence wasn't even at the DEA. It would just have disappeard in some drawer forever.
    Things like that pi...ed me off.

And then, Walt in the desert. He said it himself! If Gus would have liked to kill him, he would have done it right then and there but he lives because of Jessie. Of course he threatens his family but only if he is stupid enough to talk - which he does immidiatley after! Without a real plan and with contacting the DEA before he is far far away! W T F? He pissed of Gus so many times. People had to clean up his mess and stupid actions to protect him several times. All because he thinks he is untouchable. And then he is surprised that his family is threatened by a major druglord who cut the throat of some guy right in front of him? He was lucky to be alive and he should have taken this gift - I think it was a honest "offer" by Gus to get out of the "contract".

BUT at least this season was better than the last. Especially Gus taking out the carthel and the finale. Which was a bit silly but still made more sense than the rest. And the scene on the roof at the end? That's the relationship between Walt and Jessie I have been missing the last two seasons. How could these guys be so pissed about each other and never getting closer? It just didn't make sense to me, sorry.

I only continue to watch because the fith season is so praised and hyped. But I honestly have my doubts now. Because I heard things like "Best Show ever!" and I just don't see it.
  3. Jul 18, 2011
    Sorry guys, but count me out. Looks like nothing left of first two seasons. :((((
    It's still deep, still promising, but looks like they should have stopped at the right time. Another brilliant idea sinks in channel-needs-ratings swamp.
  4. Dec 17, 2011
    Seasons 1,2,& 3 were brilliant, but Season 4 is poor. It is overcooked, the whole thing is melodramatic. The writers have lost their mojo. The "formula" (forgive the pun) for the success of the earlier seasons was tossed out as they have gone for mainstream methodology. Sadly, it's an inferior batch this time ... by far. Pull your socks up .. I wont watch more than one or two more episodesSeasons 1,2,& 3 were brilliant, but Season 4 is poor. It is overcooked, the whole thing is melodramatic. The writers have lost their mojo. The "formula" (forgive the pun) for the success of the earlier seasons was tossed out as they have gone for mainstream methodology. Sadly, it's an inferior batch this time ... by far. Pull your socks up .. I wont watch more than one or two more episodes in S5 and if the same crap as this season gets doled out ... then that's it for me. Collapse
  5. Oct 11, 2011
    I was very much impressed and entertained by/with the plot, excellent writing, acting, etc., etc., etc., with the first 3 seasons; however, I'm very disappointed in the poor "lame-ass" writing, lame plots, and desperate (over) acting, etc., etc., in Season 4! I guess "success" can be a liability! Or, maybe it was time restraints and the pressure to maintain the previous successes ofI was very much impressed and entertained by/with the plot, excellent writing, acting, etc., etc., etc., with the first 3 seasons; however, I'm very disappointed in the poor "lame-ass" writing, lame plots, and desperate (over) acting, etc., etc., in Season 4! I guess "success" can be a liability! Or, maybe it was time restraints and the pressure to maintain the previous successes of seasons 1, 2, & 3! But still, with this disappointment, I'm pulling for a come-back to the excellence (writing, plot, acting, etc.) of previous seasons, and looking forward to season 5! After all, Mike is alive and hopefully well, maybe he can show some "Machiavellian" pragmatism; and, he, Walt, Jesse, and Saul can come to a friendly, favorable, and profitable consensus, and pull things back together and create an "All-American" Cartel!!! Food for thought?! (Writers and Producers!). Expand
  6. Oct 18, 2011
    this show is overrated i mean its good but its not that good it shouldn't be universal acclaim brain crnaston is good actor but the show is hard to follow.
  7. Oct 11, 2013
    Worst season of breaking bad... they should have only made 3 seasons as planned. With 3 seasons it would have been an awesome show which really earns 99/100 score. Overall the show is good whereby season 4 is the worst.

1. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 1, 2011
    The visual style pours as much emotional juice into the boiling, moody brew that Gilligan cooks up as his actors' searing performances do.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Holcomb
    Jul 20, 2011
    This is one of the rarest finds on television: a show where cast and character are so perfectly matched by a creator who understands exactly what journey he wants take his audience on.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jul 18, 2011
    None of these twists are for the faint of heart, which is why Breaking Bad is a smart, thought-provoking TV show that elevates the artistic achievements of the medium.