• Network: AMC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 20, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
9.7

1. Jul 16, 2012
    Now the summer is really beginning! I don't know how it does it but Breaking Bad gets better and better with every season.The acting stays magnificent and the directing and writing gets darker.In the last two scenes of last night's premiere I was afraid of Walt more than I was afraid of Gus,I think that's because it's kind of frightening the way he changed.Heisenberg is the king now! It's going to be a wild ride! Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2012
    Just terrific.
    Breaking Bad still the best cinematic effort of 2000s, The acting in this premiere was beyond anything we have on cinema or television nowdays (see the genius of Jonathan Banks). The super-magnet scene was more than epic.
  3. RFX
    Jul 15, 2012
    The acting? Amazing. The screenplay? Outstanding. The twists, turns and nail-biting suspense that the show is known for? Yes ma'am. Breaking Bad is back, and it's better than ever.
  4. Jul 16, 2012
    the first 4 mins killed it for me..amazing to say the least. the acting, suspense, the plot all indicates Breaking Bad is still the at its best, where other tv shows have fallen flat right at the end, breaking bad is not one of them.
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    Breaking Bad is back, boys & girls. & it's better than ever. The cast is still superb, the suspense is still nail-biting, and the plot is filled with twists & turns. I can easily tell that this will be the best season yet. I can't wait to see what sort of trouble Walt & co. get into this time. I didn't want the premiere to end; It's gonna suck waiting until next Sunday for the next one. SUPERB!
  6. Jul 16, 2012
    Season 5 is as good as it ever was and has the potential to out-do itself for the 5th consecutive time. The best way to watch it is to steer clear of spoilers, sit-back, and enjoy it, just as it deserves to be enjoyed.
  7. Jul 15, 2012
    Unbelievable.
    I was too septic by the overwhelming kind of reviews I´ve read to this show, so I started to watch it and, honesty, it´s the best TV show I´ve ever seen. Bryan Cranston is just superb in this role, with no flaws or overacting. Season 5 started as the BOOM we heard in the season 4 finale. It´s a marvel that surpass the greatness of The Sopranos and The Wire.
  8. Jul 15, 2012
    Impressive.
    I wasn´t expecting such a premiere. Fast, nervous, dark, tense and that leaves such a wild and wide plot chances to the future. Still the best show on television.
  9. Jul 16, 2012
    The whole thing has been raised to a new level with season 5, which I didn't even think was possible. Walt is scarier and more watchable than ever. Just the best show on TV, period.
  10. Jul 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The opening scene, like the past seasons of Breaking Bad rewards those who pay close attention to detail. The very first thing you see in the premiere of breaking bad is an older Walt celebrating his 52 birthday, which if we all remember is exactly how the very first episode in season 1 began with Walt celebrating his 50th birthday, eating eggs and making a big 50 with pieces of bacon. The more attention you pay to the show, the more you'll be rewarded. By far the best drama on television. Expand
  11. Jul 16, 2012
    this is the best show that will ever be....every season just gets better and better. the writing is perfect. the acting is perfect. who could possibly give this show a negative review?!?!
  12. Jul 16, 2012
    Breaking Bad is back and as good as ever. The best acting I've seen on Tv or in movies, chocked full of symbolism, and one of the few shows nowadays that you have to pay attention to. Walter White has no one to put him down any longer so I think we'll become even more acquainted with Heisenberg than with past seasons.
  13. Jul 16, 2012
    Never before has there been such a TV show (though Twin Peaks and the Sopranos came close). Breaking Bad was, is, and will continue to be an artistic marvel.
  14. Aug 27, 2012
    I'm not sure how to put this into words, but Breaking Bad has become somewhat of an obsession of mine since I caught the 1st episode on Blu-ray several months ago. Every episode builds on the last and becomes more and more and MORE intense...something I haven't encountered in awhile. It's on par with 'LOST', 'Six Feet Under', and some of the best series television has ever aired. This is truly benchmark TV against which all others should be judged. The acting, the cinematography, the writing, all about as close to perfect as TV gets. Thank you Breaking Bad for making my rising cable bill actually worth it. Expand
  15. Jul 17, 2012
    Breaking Bad is back!
  16. Jul 26, 2012
    I can't even began to describe, majorly, the acting and writing of Breaking Bad. Until the release of season five I simply thought that "it can't go better than this", but then i saw the first episode of season five, in the end I thought to my self that I had witness television history, pure 43 minutes of drama perfection.
  17. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm gonna keep this short and simple:
    Breaking bad is right now a legendary show; season 5 is just the cherry on top, an absolute masterpiece about the final decadence of human nature in extreme circumstances.
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There has been no show in television history as thrilling, or as interesting as Breaking Bad. Each season has built the tension in a plausible and intricately detailed way. I was a little worried by the season 5 opener. The caper slash buddy story with the humorous character at the junk yard stretched the series hard won credibility a bit too much. Whipping up an untraceable Uhaul truck and driving into a Police facility just days after a major incident seems a little too "A-Team" for my taste. I am reassured by the second season 5 episode "Madrigal". The thoughtful plotting, great acting, as well the traditional Breaking Bad attention to detail is what makes the series stand out. Mike is a complex, 3 dimensional character, neither all good or all bad. Glad to see him get more screen time. Walter's scene with Skyler was downright chilling. Expand
  19. Jul 25, 2012
    Arguably the greatest drama of the 21st century. Captivated by Vince Gilligan's amazing writing and Bryan Cranston's performance as drug kingpin Walter White, Breaking Bad has set the standard for what true quality television should be. And the best part? It's only gotten better and better as each season passes by, constantly having ourselves question the decisions Mr. White decides to make.
  20. Jul 27, 2012
    With season 4's brilliance being such a tough act to follow, I was thrilled to see Season 5 keeping up the deep, dark intensity and gripping unpredictable plot that got so many of us addicted to this nailbiting series. Breaking Bad never fails to entertain to the max!
  21. Jul 18, 2012
    Breaking Bad is absolutely the best show on television. Somehow Vince Gilligan and his team of writers still surprise us with the new directions this show takes, and the twist and turns they throw at us. No film trilogy, or television series in the past has ever been able to uphold such strong directing, acting and superb storytelling for so long. We are entering the first half of the final season of Breaking Bad and the future for this show has never looked better (and darker). It will be sad to see the show reach its finale but it has truly been a wild and unforgettable ride. Don't miss out on this amazing series. Breaking Bad is suspenseful, smart, and THRILLING! Expand
  22. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The realism that the director manages to create in every scene is simply outstanding, and I would never have imagined that a show could be capable of being this good. Trying to watch other good tv shows is now a futile exercise, they're just a letdown if you've watched any breaking bad recently. If any viewers can't get past the first few episodes and start to love each character then you are missing out on the best show ever made. Thoroughly rewarding, you will get emotional. Expand
  23. Jul 19, 2012
    Best show on television great writing,acting and excellent scripting It looks like its gonna be another wild ride this season .Magnets! Crazy .
  24. Jul 26, 2012
    It's such a shame that this is Breaking Bad's final season. It is one of the best shows on TV,and if Bryan Cranston and his colleagues don't get a slew of Emmeys, I'll eat my hat. Shows this good usually have spin-offs, so it's possible we will see some of these characters again, although not all of them, of course. Many will probably be six feet under by the end of this season. How could it be otherwise? Expand
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    One of the best shows if not the best I've ever watched. We are up to season 5, and it's just amazing how this show can top itself season after season, episode after episode. With many shows in later seasons the usual trajectory is a slow fall into mediocrity, but not Breaking Bad at all. It seems fresh every time, and still unpredictable. You really don't know what direction the main characters are heading until you see it. I don't think I've ever called a TV show a masterpiece before, but I think this one is. It's a credit to Vince Gilligan, and all of the amazing actors and production team. Even the characters with small parts to play are cast wonderfully. There's strong dramatic scenes, some hilarious moments, some breathtaking stunts, and a great commentary on life in middle class America. Expand
  26. Aug 12, 2013
    Best show I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I've seen the entire series from season 1 to 5A multiple times and It gets better with every viewing. Solid writing, acting, and production. It will be remembered for years to come.
  27. Aug 15, 2012
    I just love that Breaking Bad still has the chemistry of all the things that has made it such a great show. I am saddened that this will be the last season so hopefully we get another tv show as great as this one. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are flawless and as Bad-A$s as ever. The Writing, Directing, and the Story keeps you wanting more of Breaking Bad.
  28. Aug 23, 2013
    The part two of the final season is very very engaging.. Because its reaping time for the character of wlater white for all the things that he has done The character has grown from a common man to a unimaginable persona that surprises you each time he is on screen. You are here for a treat because it's gonna end big and when it does be there to witness THE END.
  29. Jul 27, 2012
    Most shows have a sucky finales. This one will have few great ones!. The show put me off in the first few episodes. But then it proved to be, extremely fun to watch. I couldn't get off the tv watching the episodes one after another until the end of season 4. Man I thought that was the season finale. 99% of the tv shows have amazingly bad finale. This one has a greatly satisfying one at season 4. So now I am very surprised to see season 5, but hey that is really hot. Expand
  30. Nov 25, 2012
    HANDS DOWN the best show on television. Season 5 stands to up the ante more than any one prior, with fantastic twists, incredibly tense moments, more great standout music to fit the scenes properly, and acting that can't be beat. I personally came out of season 4 saying that there was no way to top the amazing conclusion to one of the greatest television seasons ever, but they have seemed to manage just that. Without giving too much away, relationships are tested, characters die, new bonds form, and more meth is cooked (WHOOPS! SPOILERS!!). I think it should be a crime to not watch this show, maybe equal to cooking meth with the intent to distribute. If you are reading this, and do not watch Breaking Bad already, do yourself and AMC a service, and buy the show's four seasons and catch up on this Goliath of a program. Expand
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    This is by far, yes yes by far the best television show on right now, and it is heavily in the debate for best show of all time. So intelligently written and brilliantly acted. Season 5 ep. 9 was on par with the rest of the series. The scene in the garage was incredible. You can clearly see that these actors are so invested in their characters, its a joy to watch.
  32. Jul 18, 2012
    Breaking Bad's season 5 opener maintains the high quality that won the series so many devoted fans.. This is gripping, suspenseful television at its finest featuring excellent acting, writing and directing. You have no reason not to watch this show.
  33. Sep 6, 2012
    The narrative of this show is so finely crafted that completely unpredictable twists appear to fit seamlessly with the grand story arc. The characters are portrayed so well that you don't even have to like them to appreciate all of the nuance, and suspense is at an all-time high. The fifth episode "Dead Freight" ends in such a way that even hard-boiled fans will find it appalling (and brilliant). Cranston, Gilligan and the Breaking Bad crew have done the impossible with these first eight episodes: they've made Americans fall in love with an amoral meth dealer. But I think I speak for us all when I say that we wouldn't want it any other way. Expand
  34. Sep 28, 2012
    Breaking Bad is back! Breaking Bad is one of the best tv series of all time. Just amazing. Everything is prefect, the acting is very very good. Bryan Cranston is one of my favorite actors and he play amazing in this TV series. Just the best!!!
  35. Jul 24, 2012
    This is the best show i have ever seen in my entire life. I watched many shows before..Cartoons,comedy,drama, all sorts of shows and all kind of shows. None of the shows in all my life time could do what this show does. From season 1 i was hook, watched all 4 seasons in 2 weeks! That's how good it is. Season 5 is no different, full of suspense, action, a bit of everything. It is an amazing show, the best show i've ever seen. Collapse
  36. Dec 15, 2012
    Breaking Bad is one of those weird TV series that sets the bar too high and keeps it high up there, never delivering less and something blowing it way higher, the series is coming to a close, and I can't name any actor on this series whom I disliked, Bryan Cranston definitively kills it as Walter
  37. Jul 18, 2012
    Perfect. I've learned to not predict where the show will go and to just enjoy the ride. The premiere was just that a crazy awesome roller coaster that fits exactly with the seasons before it.
  38. Jul 16, 2012
    Pinkman and White's characters underwent too much character development between end of season 4 and first episode of season 5. Did Pinkman take a basic science class in between seasons? How did key in ignition and drain RV battery guy come up with the idea of magnets? Still my favorite TV show.
  39. Jul 22, 2012
    This show is simply amazing. The plot, the characters, the character development, the script, the music...they're all great. There are a few slower episodes, but the vast majority of the are action-packed and will keep you on the edge of your seat. 10.
  40. Oct 2, 2012
    An easy 10! One of the greatest series ever! especially this season was amazing. It had it all, imagination, action, power, great strategic mover, excellent direction, insightful psychological view on characters. I strongly recommend everyone to watch it!
  41. Sep 12, 2012
    Well, this show just keeps getting better and better. It's really extremely rare to find a series that actually improves in terms of quality with the passage of time. One minor complaint I'd like to express is the shorter order . I felt that there was a step down in pace and the development of the story. However, it was above anything-or almost anything- I have seen lately.
  42. Sep 1, 2012
    Honestly the best show on tv if not all time. A show that never has a dull moment, a masterpiece that should not be missed by anyone. The acting is amazing, the plot, audio and visual quality is through the roof. 10/10.
  43. Dec 3, 2012
    I started watching Breaking Bad one weekend, and didn't stop until I had caught up. It is probably my favorite show of all time. Unlike many shows of lesser quality, it is truly unpredictable, and I rarely find myself beating the show to the punchline. The acting is amazing, the writing is amazing, it's just an amazing show. Although I cannot wait for the second half of season 5 to come out, it will a bittersweet arrival, as it will mean the end for one of the best shows on television. Expand
  44. Jul 18, 2012
    Clearly a show that will be missed after this season. Cranston kills his role (I actually read Matt Broderick was in line for this at one time.....WTF?) in the new season as the egomaniac in him is blooming. The tension is building but not really certain to was end-which makes it incrediably watchable.
  45. Jul 17, 2012
    Before watching, I was a little concerned that the sheer anticipation for S05E01 would mean it could never really live up to expectations. I need not have worried. Amazing, on every level. The world is a better place for Breaking Bad.
  46. Jul 19, 2012
    Great show! I cant wait for the next season!! I could sit there and watch every episode in a row and never get bored. It's awesome!! Bryan Cranston is perfect, at first it was little weird but then he turned into a badass.
  47. Oct 3, 2012
    The first half of Breaking Bad's fifth season may not be the roller coaster ride that Season 4 was, but it did an excellent job at setting the stage for the final half of the season which will undoubtedly be the biggest roller coaster ride television may ever see.
  48. Oct 3, 2012
    It would sound reactionary to go so far as to say that Breaking Bad is the greatest show of all time, or even the greatest I've ever seen. I won't go so far as to give it the former title for the simple reason that I haven't seen a lot of the great, highly regarded shows out there, old and new. I will, however, give it the distinction of being the greatest show I have ever had the pleasure of watching. The writing is spectacular, and the acting even moreso. The subject matter, while morbid and disturbing, is incredibly fascinating and makes for the best drama I've ever seen on a television program. Every actor, every writer, every person involved in making this brilliant show have been at the top of their game since the first episode, and more impressive still they've managed to constantly outdo themselves with each new season, as the show draws towards its, in all likelihood, thrilling and awful conclusion. If you haven't watched this show yet, steer clear of the current season 5. However you must, go to season 1 and start there, at the beginning of this wild ride and let it take you in its clutches and thrill you with each and every episode. Expand
  49. rah
    Oct 15, 2012
    Breaking Bad is still the greatest show in my opinion. It's plot, characters, and acting far surpass anything on contemporary television. Each season is fantastic, and this one is no exception. What stands out the most though, is watching the series come to fruition. We can see the converging story lines about to collide, and the manner in which this is done has left the viewer speechless. I highly recommend watching this exceptional season and this outstanding television series. Breaking Bad is definitely the best show on modern television. Expand
  50. Oct 29, 2012
    Oh.My.God. I love how Breaking Bad just gets better from episode to episode and season to season! The first half of the fifth season is absolutely outstanding in every way.. there is nothing to say about the acting because Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul lead the series like it's the last thing they are going to do on earth. The best series and the best season ever filmed! Amazing..
    Yeah
    **** Magnets! Expand
  51. Nov 1, 2012
    Talk about captivating the imagination, and presenting science (chemistry in this series) as a more interesting subject to the people. I enjoyed the story telling, easy to watch and it was fantastic.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    Every single one of the final episodes is so good and so tense, they're basically killing me. I really have no idea how it's going to end but I'm pretty sure years are being taken off of my life every Sunday night.

As always, the acting is incredible and Aaron Paul deserves an Emmy just for his scene with Walt in the desert during "Confessions".
  53. Sep 10, 2013
    I'm kinda ashamed at this point. So many people told me to watch it long time ago and I didn't, cause I'm not used to watch TV Series, not because they're bad or boring, just because I'm not the type of person that will wait every week to watch something. I started watching Breaking Bad like a month ago and just cause my boyfriend told me to. He's kinda crazy for it. Now I see the point. I give it a 10, because it brought me to the point to start loving Walter and then start hating him, to start hating Jesse and end loving him. That's just like real life. And that's priceless. I think Breaking Bad is a masterpiece and it's probably that tons of people are feeling the same and for one thing... Everyone of us could be Walter or Jesse and that's exactly the point. You feel it so yours, so real, so human that there's no possible way not to love it, even need it. I will remember it and miss it, for real. Expand
  54. Sep 10, 2013
    The quality of writing in this show is incomparable. The technical aspect, from clothing to the photography, and the performances give us the GREATEST show on TV ever. Vince Gilligan, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, Bob Odenkirk, Michael Slovis, Michelle MacLaren, Peter Gould, you are GENIUS.
  55. Sep 11, 2013
    This show will be remembered and watched a long time from now. It's extremely ambitious, at once totally contemporary and at the same time very old school film-making. The scenes linger, always longer than they would do in any other show. The tracking/continuous shots of pure drama never fails to amplify the intensity. The 40 minute run-time makes sure that the show never becomes boring, it's essentially one masterfully set up scene after another. Everything from amazing lighting and cinematography, to the absolutely daring and unconventional background music, so tense and dark it's something out of a sci-fi horror film. Did I mention the acting is almost constantly Oscar worthy, the writing is absolutely brilliant, with essentially no plot holes or loose ends, it's the most tightly told TV show story you will ever watch, not one scene out of place. Everything is just perfect.

Yeah, it's my favorite show on TV. Best advice I can give you is stop reading this, and go watch every Season through, and if in the beginning you aren't sure right away, stick with it, it literally gets more amazing every single Season.
  56. Sep 20, 2013
    It's shameful that Breaking Bad has never won an Emmy.

Obviously The Emmy Board of Directors can't just relinquish their TV's family-viewing gold standard to a show centering around drugs and horrific deaths. Hopefully the noticeable downfall of Heisenberg the meth kingpin as a lesson to all druggies in this final season will break bad for those Emmy folks this Sunday.
  57. Aug 29, 2012
    i'm in love with this show. The best part is: the lack of any bull**it. Good acting, well thought schemes/plot.
    Can only hope for many more seasons to come...
  58. Aug 28, 2012
    Breaking Bad is truly breathtaking! The story is exquisite and engaging. Vince Gilligan has definitely elevated his show to new heights. I'm expecting BB to win big in the upcoming 64th Primetime Emmy Awards.
  59. Aug 31, 2012
    The development of the characters over the years....season 5 is shaping up to be the best finale season of a show ever, which would make sense considering BB is one of the greatest shows ever.
  60. Apr 18, 2013
    This is the pinnacle of entertainment on TV and it's what most TV producers and directors should be looking to for advice. Supurb acting, set pieces and cinematography.
  61. Sep 18, 2012
    One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made. One of the best shows ever made.
  62. Oct 6, 2013
    El final que todos esperábamos. Para aquellos fanaticos y no tan fanaticos una obra maestra del drama que nos deja a aquellos que la seguimos por estos años un recuerdo mas que grato.
  63. Jul 23, 2012
    ultimate..... ultimate.....ultimate..............ultimate..................ultimate...................ultimate.........ultimate............ultimate...................ultimate
  64. Jul 22, 2012
    It's great to see that Breaking Bad simply hasn't withered with age like so many good series can. This episode definitely seemed like one of the better ones, with the pace, suspense, acting and screenplay all perfectly adjusted. It had just the right balance of both answering questions left from the previous series and asking new questions of what is to come.
  65. Nov 24, 2012
    One of the best shows created thus far. Some may feel it's a bit slow, but you have to understand the show is incredibly detailed. Any of the big mind-blowing, can't believe they just did that, Jesus Christ I need to call someone and talk about this stuff is all done in single strides, and are only dished out a little at a time. The suspense is built, it's not constant like in an episode of Homeland. It's also very cause and effect based. That being said, if season 5 seems a bit slow now, you'll see what all this building meant when the final episodes come around. Then, you'll appreciate the time it took to set up what came to happen. Expand
  66. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best season of Breaking Bad, the season finale was the most epic sh** i've ever seen, too bad Walter had to die, but we all saw it coming. and "Baby Blue" by Badfinger fit perfectly to the ending.

Goodbye Breaking Bad.
  67. Oct 8, 2013
    Br Ba definitely one of the greatest tv shows ever made. Bryan Cranston's acting is spectacular and Aaron Paul has matured as an actor over the seasons. This is probably the best acting one would ever see on television. The series finale also is said to be the best finale ever.
  68. Sep 19, 2013
    The best TV show ever. Awesome acting performances, remarkable plot, wonderful and complex characters. Breaking Bad is TV at it's best. I just can't wait to see the final episodes!
  69. Sep 19, 2013
    You can't get any better than what this show has done. It has been great from episode 1. Unlike some shows, Breaking Bad isn't sticking around for a crazy amount of seasons, but just enough to make a huge impact and still stay consistently great. When this show ends, it will go down in history as a masterpiece of television.
  70. Oct 7, 2013
    breaking bad???????
    i am shocked what happend in the last.......
    woooowwwwwww.
    there is a clear different beetwin this show and lost
    bb is more better than lost
  71. Oct 22, 2013
    I couldn't stop watching it from the start. Every episode just gets better and better until it has to end. Vince Gilligan set course for one of the most brilliant shows the world may ever see.
  72. Oct 17, 2013
    Simply the best show you can watch right now. I'm a follower since first season and it got better and better every episode. Perfect acting, story, characters depth, photography. Really, everything is just perfect. And Bryan cranston is THE actor. Watch it now and you will thank me.
  73. Aug 28, 2013
    Season 5 kicks in t breakneck speed, each episode leaving me rubbing my hands together in excitement. If this season continues to a conclusion as strong as the episodes so far it will take the crown of the best television show to date.
  74. Oct 28, 2013
    Breaking Bad is the most flawless show beginning to end I've ever seen. It portrays a man pushed out of his norm by a life threatening disease that makes him fearless, or "awake" in his words. I watched from the pilot to the finale, and was not once disappointed. Some people may be turned off by the utilization of drugs in the storyline, but those are shallow individuals.
  75. Oct 5, 2013
    Breaking Bad is easily the best television show that has ever been made. This season was finely crafted and ended the show in a wonderful fashion. There were great payoffs from previous set ups which made for a satisfying ending.
  76. Sep 1, 2013
    This show just get's better with each season. It's great to see everything finally coming together from the earlier seasons to add to the tension and suspense of the show.
  77. Sep 16, 2013
    Wow, holy s*#@t, just watched episode 14. This show continues to blow my mind away. I was a bundle of raw nerve endings the whole time. Far and away living up to and exceeding the standard of the previous seasons. IMHO the greatest show EVER!
  78. Sep 9, 2013
    Breaking bad est La série de ces 10 dernières années et même pour moi La serie jamais créée tout y est parfait et d'une telle intensités .

Le jeux d'acteur est parfait et la trame principale ne cesse de s'amplifier un chef d'oeuvre
  79. Nov 20, 2012
    Just fantastic! After seeing 8 episodes of the fifth season, it´s clear to all of us, Breaking Bad is one of the best TV-shows ever made. The writing is incredible (the show has memorable lines), Bryan Cranston is amazing, he´s scary and threatening, and the scenes are always so tense (and sometimes really funny, when Saul is in the scene). Breaking Bad is definitely a must-see.
  80. Aug 16, 2012
    There is a very good reason most people are calling this the best show on TV. The reason is, in fact, that this is the best show on TV. If you have never watched this show, let me put it this way. Season 1 is amazing. Season 2 is exhilarating Season 3 is tension at its best Season 4 is haunting So far Season 5 is the best one yet. The acting? Excellent. The writing? superb. The Direction? Completely and totally unmatched by even the best movies. Expand
  81. Sep 5, 2013
    Easily my favorite season thus far and maybe one of my favorite seasons of any show. As the intensity grows and everything begins to crumble, the show becomes the most riveting it has ever been.
  82. Aug 22, 2012
    Having been turned on the the show earlier this summer, I quickly breezed through seasons 1-4 and caught up to 5 just in time to watch the premiere. All I can say is, "WOW." Each season gets better and better, with the current being the swan song. The train episode was fantastic and kept me on the end of my seat while the rest are almost as enjoyable. I have never stumbled upon a series with as much dramatic and suspenseful depth and Breaking Bad is Vince Gilligan's ace in the hole. Expand
  83. Sep 2, 2012
    OUTSTANDING Series... Great Acting and Captivating Storytelling~!!! Too bad it's slated to end. Cinematography is top-notch and greatly adds to the overall experience of breaking bad.
  84. Sep 4, 2012
    The best parts of The Sopranos and Macbeth fused and brought to TV. Tight dialogue, excellent cinematography, perfectly paced, awesome soundtrack... what more could one ask for?
  85. Sep 4, 2012
    Never before has Breaking Bad made me as nervous, angry, sad, terrified, and overjoyed all at the same time. The acting, the writing, and the directing are the best on television. My only complaint is that it's ending.
  86. Sep 19, 2012
    Every episode is superbly written, and it ends with a big surprise every week. The directing, the acting, and the script all come together to make a masterpiece. I haven't gone an episode without being hooked into the show. When the commercials start, I count the seconds until the break ends. This is by far the best season of Breaking Bad!
  87. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season arguably has some of the best episodes to be aired in the Breaking Bad series: the use of magnets on the police evidence storage, the train heist, the fallout from Gus' death, the attempts by both Mike and Jessie to sell off their interests; all these (and more) should keep you at the edge of your seat.

There is a slight problem, however, depending on how you look at it. Vince Gilligan seems to be determined to show that drug dealing is inherently evil. Walt hasn't just "broken bad" in terms of breaking the law; he is a villain-protagonist as of season 5. Could Walt have always been like this? Could the affable, mild-mannered, conscientious teacher, father and husband have been evil the whole time? Perhaps, but it seems mighty convenient to suit the moralistic position of the writers. Less forgiveable than character changes (which Skylar also, thankfully, has gone through), are holes in the writing. The greatest sin is the "Brock poisoning" plot a ridiculous, impossible feat pulled off by Walt in Season 4 that was ultimately inconsequential. Whilst one may have been willing to forget about it entirely, the ramifications of it become crucial in Season 5 which is just plain trying as a viewer.

Overall though, good fun, and nice set pieces. Just don't expect to get emotionally involved particularly with favourites such as Mike (who behaves uncharacteristically incautiously in his ultimate scene). It will be no surprise if Walt gets his comeuppance in the end but this is due to the Gilligan's overweening morality rather than logical design.
  88. Aug 12, 2013
    Breaking Bad is and will remain the best drama series of the last decade. Writing, acting, direction... The show of Vince Gilligan has truly everything you could want. The best way to watch it is to steer clear of spoilers, sit-back, and enjoy it, just as it deserves to be enjoyed.
  89. Nov 20, 2012
    Great show, it is very fast and the acting is great. Every season gets better and better. Cranston and Paul's performances are unbelievably good. Best show on television, Better than the sopranos and the wire in my opinion
  90. Nov 29, 2012
    In season 5 the show stays true to its "keep-them-guessing" format. Walt is coming to grips with his decisions and has fully accepted the consequences of his decisions and this is mirrored in his behavior. He is more comfortable with who he has become and is sure in what he must do to earn his new drug lord title. The series continues to get more intense as it reaches its culmination. The writer's uncanny ability to keep the viewer highly invested in this thrilling adventure never ceases to amaze. 5 Thumbs way up! Expand
  91. Dec 4, 2012
    Absolutely unreal how they are able to improve this show with every successive season. While the first episode or two might start out a bit slow, episodes 3-8 are OUT OF THIS WORLD. Can't wait for the final 8 episodes next summer!
  92. Dec 12, 2012
    I cannot believe the run, but it has been a hell of one. Thank you everyone on the show. I cannot wait for the season premiere, yet I am scared of it because I think I know what will happen... Also, it is ending; so, that is really depressing when I think about it because this show has provided me with entertainment beyond my wildest dreams. The acting in this show is just unbelievable. If you have seen Walt in season 1 and Walt in season 5, you will notice the HUGE change. This is all believable by one of the best actors I have ever had the privilege to watch on TV. Honestly, maybe the best actor ever. Also, you must recognize Aron Paul for his amazing portrayal of Jesse. Actually, anyone in the show is a great actor. Some great actors have come onto this show and left a huge imprint on it. You must watch this show, if you are reading this. This show is even better than my favorite movies combined: The Godfather 1 and Part 2 in that order. I give it this title because The Godfathers lasted 6 hours accumulative, but Breaking Bad provides around 50 hours of non-stop, high quality, entertainment. Thank you Vince Gilligan. Expand
  93. Dec 23, 2012
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who love Breaking Bad, and those who have never seen it.

Although I am sad that the brilliant show is coming to an end, I feel it is for the best. Breaking Bad is a masterpiece, and if they tried to drag it out until the ratings disappeared, it would be ruining everything it's been so far. Season 5 is acting as a wrap-up to the rest of
    the season, bringing the story of each character to an end while maintaining the legendary writing, acting, and cinematography it is famous for. I, like most people, am extremely excited for the second half of this closing season, and the opening to the first episode of the season proves that Season 5's ending is going to once again blow everybody's mind. Vince Gilligan manages to leave viewers speechless at the end of every single episode, so you can only imagine what he will be able to do with the end of a franchise. The bottom line is that Breaking Bad is a show that will go down in history. Expand
  94. Aug 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The progression throughout Breaking bad is amazing! Season 1: you sympathize him; he's man with cancer doing something bad for the right reasons-anyone would do the same. But then in season 2 he begins to become greedy: his avarice empowers him, which is particularly highlighted when he lets Jane die, 'till finally the symbolic plain crash is caused. Then, even with this greedy nature of Walt's, we still sympathize him in season's 3 and 4 since he is being forced, and he is now an "anti-hero" we enjoy watching a complicated bad guy. But now season 5 is the most complicated season of all: Walt's a villain!!! He's killed gus and is Heisenberg. As he strives for his empire every other character is destroyed and become miserable, and then right when he repairs the situation Hank, who has been traumatized by all his experiences that were caused by Walt, has his realization. Never in my life have I seen a better array of complex, sophisticated characters. Expand
  95. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Over five years, Breaking Bad has indeed become the single greatest television show in creation.

Just for a second, forget all aspects but one. Forget the dark, risky premise. Forget the affecting, mesmerizing performances. Forget the gritty, cinematic, oddly hallucinatory way that the show is shot. Forget the ingenious writing. Besides all of these, what makes Breaking Bad surpass the likes of The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of the other shows with which it's constantly mentioned in the same sentence?

Shortly put: its ability to shock, amaze, and affect.

From the very beginning, Breaking Bad has taken audience expectations and trounced them with a gleeful cruelty, taking a run-down schmuck and turning him into a cold-hearted bad-ass and showing unflinchingly how this transformation has ruined the lives of countless people.

It's not enough to show that, however. Even with shows like The Wire or The Sopranos, you could sometimes predict where the action would go. With Breaking Bad, your expectations are constantly built up and trounced. You prepare yourself for the emotional roller coaster by trying to convince yourself that this show can't possibly get away with doing what you think is going to happen, and it doesn't: it does something ten times worse, and your emotions are affected ten times as much; and you love every single second of it.

To see Walter White go from "Mr. Chips to Scarface" is fascinating to watch because from the first episode we are sympathetic to the character. Over the show's run, Walt has become completely reprehensible, lying to others and himself with no apparent qualms, and the audience still roots for him at some level. Vince Gilligan reportedly cast Bryan Cranston based on his performance as a somewhat sympathetic anti-Semite in the X-Files episode, "Drive," saying that only Cranston can make a completely disgusting human being sympathetic. Mr. Gilligan, when you're right, boy are you ever right...

Aaron Paul, relatively unknown at the beginning of the series, has proved himself a master of his craft. At the beginning of the series, Jesse Pinkman is an irritating, unintelligent sleaze whom you're sure will die within episodes. Over the last five seasons, completely against anyone's expectations, Jesse has become the one truly sympathetic character in the entire show. He has slowly become aware of his own intelligence and ingenuity, and his futile attempts to save lives is constantly heart-breaking. Aaron Paul, like Bryan Cranston, has never made a misstep in portraying his character's evolution.

I only have 5000 characters, so sadly I won't be able to go into the countless supporting roles that make this show even better than it would've been otherwise. Anna Gunn's put-upon, long-suffering Skyler White; Dean Norris's more-than-able DEA agent brimming with machismo; Jonathan Banks's dead-eyed, honor-bound former cop; Giancarlo Esposito's machine-like drug kingpin.... the list just goes on and on. The supporting characters are a collective who's-who of well-developed cogs in the machine that is Breaking Bad.

It's hard to believe that this show was made into what it became, in part, by a writer's strike. Originally, Jesse was to be killed near the end of the first season and Walt's descent into evil was much faster. The writer's strike of 2007-08 forced Gilligan and the other writers to reconsider, helping to change this show from a dark drama to a compelling human epic. We become more invested in the story of Walt's decent because he is sympathetic for a longer period of time, and the relationship between Walt and Jesse has become the heart of the show. Vince Gilligan and his team of true geniuses prove that television can be written like the greatest of the great plays or films. I haven't even scratched the surface regarding the symbolism, the color-coding, and the recurring motifs within the series.

I've barely scratched the surface of what makes this show the greatest in television history. I've hardly said anything that hasn't been said before.

What else can I say except that to know what everyone is raving about, you need to experience it for yourself. And it IS an experience. The likes of which probably won't be met for quite some time.
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    Having watched the first half of Breaking Bad season 5, I can honestly say its my favorite season so far in this series. Every single episode delivers. The character progression for Walt, Jesse, and Mike are perfect, and this is the only season that has really pulled at my heartstrings. Best show on TV. Bring on the second half!
  97. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Small Spoilers!
    Walt and Jesse is back! You will not be disappointed, The series was amazing in season 1, and it just keeps getting better and better! More awesome and exciting for every episode, and the script in this season, AHHH, it's so good! The acting performances are also spotless, the development of all the characters are so interesting, and since the actors are doing such a great job, that I wasn't thinking about that it was a tv-show. 10/10 no doubt!
  98. Feb 6, 2013
    I try to dismiss the idea of a show that keeps getting better and better, one that continues to be hailed as one of the greatest shows of all time. However, after the incredible 13 hours of television I witnessed in the year 2011 called 'Breaking Bad: season 4', I simply had to put this at the top of the list. Then 2012 came, I sat on my couch and eagerly awaiting the first episode of season 5. Three months passed, and I was left with the final episode of 2012. After those three months, I told myself: 'This is the greatest season of television ever to be produced.' I try incredibly hard to avoid calling something the best but gosh darn, this show did it. Even without standout actor Giancarlo Esposito in his groundbreaking role as Gustavo Fring, this show managed to top its 2011 counterpart. In the pilot of Breaking Bad, we hear Walter give his class a quick summary of what chemistry is. growth, decay then transformation!" he says. Well, in season 5, we witnessed that transformation. Every other television show on the planet, current and past needs to hold their hands up in a surrendering fashion and say "Dear Breaking Bad, we give up. Sincerely, the rest of television" Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2013
    Superb acting. Immersing story. Awesome Direction.
    "The metamorphosis of Walter White from a High School chemistry teacher to a drug kingpin"
    This is one of the best TV shows ever made in history. The development of the plot after the end of Season 4 is commendable. It keeps you wanting for more. The end of the Half season just blows you away.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Aug 22, 2012
    Breaking Bad [is] a radical type of television, and also a very strange kind of must-watch: a show that you dread and crave at the same time.
  2. Reviewed by: Laura Emerick
    Jul 16, 2012
    The season five pre­miere "Live Free or Die", more than maintains the series' record of excellence.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jul 16, 2012
    The arc of this character--series creator Vince Gilligan's invention of Walter White as a sick soul--is, it's clear now. one of the great narratives in Television histpory. [13 Jul 2012, p.62]