8.6

1. Aug 10, 2013
    A drama of the finest quality. It grants the audience unique insights into the lives of the characters whilst reminding us that we can never really know who they are or how they really feel.

An outstanding achievement from the actors, writers, cinematographers and everyone in between.
  2. Aug 17, 2013
    The show is melodrama (albeit with some good acting and some good camera work at times). The over-the-top moments aren't earned either, between the lead up to them, the music, the lines, acting and camera-- it's just a full-on TV-being-TV emotional blow out. I find those moments unbearable enough to write off the show.
  3. Aug 5, 2013
    Wonderful drama which, whilst not entirely unpredictable, is brilliantly written and astoundingly acted. I never knew David Tennant could be this good. Olivia Coleman is always this good. I am looking forward to the promised second series eagerly, but with some bafflement as to where it will go.
  4. Aug 11, 2013
    Just loved this show. Each character has a rich and vivid background. Each role played to perfection. The show seems like a blissful union of 'Luther' and 'Top Of The Lake'. Focusing on the community but still keeping the mystery as suspenseful and interesting. I would love to see Coleman win awards for this and Tennant to get nominations. A must watch for crime-drama lovers!
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    How this show got such high ratings from critics is beyond me. The characters are shallow and the acting is even worse. I couldn't for a second forget I was watching actors in a TV show (the mark of bad actors) The story line is equally weak and implausible. I had the murderer figured out half way through the series. Not only is this not worth the 9.1 score critics gave it, it is prettyHow this show got such high ratings from critics is beyond me. The characters are shallow and the acting is even worse. I couldn't for a second forget I was watching actors in a TV show (the mark of bad actors) The story line is equally weak and implausible. I had the murderer figured out half way through the series. Not only is this not worth the 9.1 score critics gave it, it is pretty much empty garbage and that barely rates wasting your time with. Expand
  6. Aug 18, 2013
    At first, I though this could be an excellent drama, knowing Tennant to be an excellent actor. And he is an excellent one, I assure you, and that's maybe the best part of it. But the melodramatic tone of the story, coupled with the omnipresence of the musical score, soon became an annoying tv experience. Recommended only for tennant's fans. Period.
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    Formidable series. I felt like I was watching a great mystery novel, with each episode a new chapter unveiling deeper levels into the human psyche each and every week. I was initially drawn to the series simply for the cast (Olivia Colman in particular, for her fantastic performance in Tyrannosaur), but stayed for the human drama, gorgeous imagery and compelling storytelling. HighlyFormidable series. I felt like I was watching a great mystery novel, with each episode a new chapter unveiling deeper levels into the human psyche each and every week. I was initially drawn to the series simply for the cast (Olivia Colman in particular, for her fantastic performance in Tyrannosaur), but stayed for the human drama, gorgeous imagery and compelling storytelling. Highly recommend checking it out. Expand
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    Enough of the basic Midsomer Murders (another great show), this is a proper murder mystery. Interrogation, looking for clues, it is a series that pulls you into it. Great acting, and incredibly emotional. All up amazing
  9. Jun 15, 2014
    Broadchurch is a slow-burning mystery that is rich in drama and character study. The acting is fine in all areas and the twists are very well executed. Also, credits for the people associated with the score and the cinematgraphy. This show is a must watch for all viewers.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    How can it be? It's normal get emocional, but at the end I was so deeply sad... Never watched a crime drama this tough. The Olivia Coleman's work is that rich; the acting in general is very touching.
  11. Oct 6, 2013
    A fantastic show, developing the characters through the outstanding cast. Standing out would normally be difficult but I thought Olivia Colman's performance in the final episode was truly breathtaking. The show starts off extremely well and crescendos to a phenomenal middle but perhaps waned towards the end stopping it from being the best show of the year.
  12. Oct 11, 2014
    This was a great and I wish I saw it earlier. This was way better than The Killing. The story is laid out perfectly and it goes along smoothly. Each episode is very intense and extremely emotional. The writing and direction are top notch. I'm really glad the season was only 8 episodes. No filler whatsoever. As the story went darker and sadder, the viewer is just moved emotionally. You feelThis was a great and I wish I saw it earlier. This was way better than The Killing. The story is laid out perfectly and it goes along smoothly. Each episode is very intense and extremely emotional. The writing and direction are top notch. I'm really glad the season was only 8 episodes. No filler whatsoever. As the story went darker and sadder, the viewer is just moved emotionally. You feel for the family, the town, the people. It's that emotional of a show. The show is simple, yet complex. Character development is fantastic and the characters are enjoyable to watch. David Tennant is just amazing in the show. His acting is incredible. The rest of the cast is also fantastic. The style and direction of each episode reflects the show perfectly. I fell in love with the show with the first episode and it was amazing for the whole season. It did not stumble like some shows near the end of the season. One of the best things about the show was the use of beautiful beach shots and haunting score. Most shows do not sure the score to their advantage. The dark and absorbing score allowed certain scenes to have more intensity. It was beautiful to hear. The show was amazing from start to finish. The writers developed an interesting and intense story. They also brought real emotions to the viewers. All in all, one of the best shows of 2013. Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pedophilia is of course not funny but the British obsession with it is indeed a joke. In the outwardly charming hamlet of Broadchurch, everybody is a closet pedophile, a suspected pedophile, or married to a pedophile. This is not an exaggeration. The series ends on a jarring and offensively religious-sanctimonious note, which I probably should have seen coming given the inclusion of the especially annoying clairvoyant character who pops in every so often bearing messages from the dead child. And what is up with that anti-abortion propaganda? We are told that an unwanted pregnancy is God giving you not what you want, but what you need. Rubbish. Expand
  14. Dec 20, 2013
    Seriously, where are all the high scoring coming from? People, have you seen The Killing or Broen/Bron? This one tries hard to be good and atmospheric but I could not for a second believe neither the feelings of characters nor the setting itself. Shallow! Very disappointed
  15. Aug 8, 2013
    I'm not really a person who watches cop shows, primarily because I can never seem to find many good ones. Just by watching the premiere of Broadchurch, I can tell you that this show stands out from other shows of the same genre. The emotional drama and writing was enough to make my eyes tear up with emotion in the first episode. I am expecting great things from this show and I hope that iI'm not really a person who watches cop shows, primarily because I can never seem to find many good ones. Just by watching the premiere of Broadchurch, I can tell you that this show stands out from other shows of the same genre. The emotional drama and writing was enough to make my eyes tear up with emotion in the first episode. I am expecting great things from this show and I hope that i will not be disappointed. Expand
  16. Dec 2, 2013
    The best crime procedural I have ever seen and nothing really comes close.

It stands head and shoulders above shows like the Killing and Top of the Lake. As some others have said, imagine the very best elements from the very best episode of Law and Order. Now add in serious character development, a materially more complex and compelling protagonist, and a finale that is at once
    The best crime procedural I have ever seen and nothing really comes close.

It stands head and shoulders above shows like the Killing and Top of the Lake.

As some others have said, imagine the very best elements from the very best episode of Law and Order. Now add in serious character development, a materially more complex and compelling protagonist, and a finale that is at once profoundly upsetting and deeply moving and you have one of the best seasons of television ever. Period.
  17. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nine hours of my life I will never get back.......David Tennant mumbles his way throughout the entire series.....filled with visual gimmicks and cheap red herring devices......facile "lessons" ...."how could you NOT know"......filled with one dimensional characters, mouthing unbelievable dialogue......I wanted to retch at the conclusion when the perp explained his actions by saying he was in love with an 11 year old boy......still not enough?.....the torch lighting ceremony at the end was simply a kick in the groin for anyone who has not been lobotomized. Chris should stick to writing Dr. Who episodes......Rave reviews from the critics led me to this series.....that won't happen again......I fell much like the murdered 11 year old boy.....used and abused......and now there is a SECOND season?.....unbelievable! Expand
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The rave reviews received by this show are undeserved and incomprehensible. David Tennant is a bore and the police work non-existent. The program completely fails to deal with the reality of cell phones and computers. Er…the final episode finally gets around to downloading emails from the server of the murdered boy's supposed best friend--something that would have been routine in any normal police investigation. Also routine would have been the collection of all the computers that might have contained messages from the victim. The boy's missing cell phone was live and could have easily been tracked. &c. &c. Most of the main characters committed crimes that were ignored by the police during the investigation. Red herrings abound, but most of them cheats. I could go on and on. It was a really badly written story which hardly anyone noticed. What is wrong with everyone?? Use your brains! Expand
  19. Jan 13, 2014
    Spectacular performance by David Tennant and Olivia Colman. Such a gripping and satisfying plot. Hopefully Fox's remake of this show will be just as thrilling.
  20. Oct 18, 2014
    I don't know. All episodes were good but I'm deceived by the end.
    I feel like they could have chosen any secondary character for the killer role.
    I don't know. All episodes were good but I'm deceived by the end.
    I feel like they could have chosen any secondary character for the killer role.
    It's just, "we have chosen him because i wanted to". It's not like when you discover him you say "omg YES how could i not see this !". I was more like "ok, with that structure you can make anybody a killer. There is no link between the killer and the first 5 or 6 episodes.

Plot surprising, yes, but not for the good reasons to my mind. Surprising because "Why the **** him ?? Just no point..."
  21. Aug 31, 2013
    If you enjoy murder mysteries then Broadchurch is a must see. Visually appealing with a stirring music score, it spends as much time exploring each character as the murder itself.
  22. Aug 30, 2013
    And one day everybody was talking about Broadchurch...
    Intense from beginning to end. Great scenery (actually both the cliff and the sea made me feel weird). David Tennant, Olivia Colman, and Jodie Whittaker's performances were excellent and really moving. Broadchurch is a great show one of a kind. Just watch!
  23. Aug 8, 2013
    Brilliant acting! While the story is not perfect, it's still good, and it will capture your attention!
    David Trennant plays the "cool, I don't give a about anything" detective, and damn, he's good at it, outstanding!
  24. Aug 24, 2013
    I read the books, -still better than the series- but it doesn't matters. This is show is a gem... "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." Ramsay Snow.
  25. Oct 4, 2013
    "Broadchurch" is what series television should be. The fact that much of TV is mediocre permits a show like this to stand out as it should. Excellent acting, excellent characterizations, creative writing. Yes, the show does slip in quite a few red herrings to send you off in the wrong direction, but all-in-all, "Broadchurch" simply works. I have to admit to being sad that the"Broadchurch" is what series television should be. The fact that much of TV is mediocre permits a show like this to stand out as it should. Excellent acting, excellent characterizations, creative writing. Yes, the show does slip in quite a few red herrings to send you off in the wrong direction, but all-in-all, "Broadchurch" simply works. I have to admit to being sad that the series is now over. Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2013
    What an amazing thriller. Top notch acting & direction, although the main plot & idea was taken from David Lynch's Twin Peaks(boring compared to Broadchurch, it is that good) & excels it both in screenplay & characterization. Olivia Coleman and David Tennant are just brilliant in it!
  27. Aug 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this show a lot. Especially in the beginning it really draws you in and establishes a very dark and threatening atmosphere. Unlike many whodunits it does not just focus on the, well, whodunit, but takes a close look at the people inhabiting this curious place. Even if the solution of the case is not as surprising as it's probably supposed to be, it still hits you and leaves youI enjoyed this show a lot. Especially in the beginning it really draws you in and establishes a very dark and threatening atmosphere. Unlike many whodunits it does not just focus on the, well, whodunit, but takes a close look at the people inhabiting this curious place. Even if the solution of the case is not as surprising as it's probably supposed to be, it still hits you and leaves you with a bitter aftertaste.
    Also to be commended is of course the amazing cast, not just the two leads with their wonderfully crooked chemistry, but also all the smaller characters roaming the streets of Broadchurch.
  28. Aug 24, 2013
    An excellent story with competent actors. The plot has no obvious flaws, and is well divided through the 8 episodes not too short nor too long, perfect timing.
  29. Sep 16, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollo y mi votación es de 8. Un saludo.
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    A top nothing drama of the highest quality. Actors, storyline, camera work, music are what make this show captivating. Thank you BBC. Please continue to schedule shows like this on BBC America.
  31. Sep 30, 2013
    One of the best series I've seen in a while..Excellent character development. Great camera work. More and more sub-plots as the series goes on. Keeps you on edge right to the final episode. two thumbs up!
  32. Nov 9, 2013
    Absolutely gripping from start to finish. Although the plot doesn't have many twists and turns it keeps you guessing from start to finish. David Tennant is phenomenal and on note throughout amongst some other brilliant performances. It will keep you guessing all the way to the end!
  33. Nov 11, 2013
    If you are a fan of the crime drama genre I have to recommend this to you. This show is so much more intense than American crime dramas. Unlike American shows the entire season of Broadchurch focuses on one murder. The depth of drama that this show goes into is unlike anything I have watched before. The show takes you on a rollercoaster journey of suspense and suspicion. I think I hadIf you are a fan of the crime drama genre I have to recommend this to you. This show is so much more intense than American crime dramas. Unlike American shows the entire season of Broadchurch focuses on one murder. The depth of drama that this show goes into is unlike anything I have watched before. The show takes you on a rollercoaster journey of suspense and suspicion. I think I had about six of seven different suspects while watching and in the end I was totally surprised by the ending. The acting and writing are both topnotch in this British drama, and the Doctor is the head detective. Expand
  34. Nov 28, 2014
    This is the most interesting and utmost exhilerating thing that I have watched in the year of 2013.. I'm so glad we had this as Doctor who was... no good last year and it was no good in 2013.. (2013 tense) I loved it and cannot wait til season 2.
  35. Feb 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the eight episodes were entirely enjoyable, you only need watch the first and the last....everything in between is irrelevant and beside the point. Really... Expand
  36. May 25, 2014
    I really enjoyed this series. Some fantastic acting and a gripping story. I think I would have liked it more had there been more episodes to develop the characters further.
  37. Dec 20, 2014
    I just started watching Broadchurch last night on Netflix, David Tennant is ever so amazing as he was in Doctor Who. Along side with Olivia Colman, they make the perfect duo for a terrific British Crime Drama. Thank you BBC for yet another amazing Crime Drama! You never fail to impress me. (:
  38. Jul 4, 2014
    I have just finished watching this drama at one sitting. A brilliant cast, , an excellent british crime-drama .
    keeps you on the edge of your seat for the entire film. The locations for this film are beautiful
  39. Nov 10, 2014

1. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Aug 20, 2013
    As a murder mystery, Broadchurch is satisfyingly complex (even if the accents may take some getting used to). As an exploration of grief it is even better, with Ms. Whittaker and Ms. Colman pointing the way. But in its long, slow unfolding Broadchurch is most magnificent in another sense--as an elegy for the happy innocence of ignorance.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Porter
    Aug 8, 2013
    Broadchurch doesn't come with many stylistic flourishes--it's a pretty straightforward crime story. But the care given to its characters and the damage the crime inflicts on the town make it one of the best scripted series of the summer.
    Broadchurch excels at showing the awkward moments between the briskly delivered plot points, and the small details of voice and gesture that define communities in mourning (or guilty panic), and it has the good sense not to overdo anything.... And yet there's something fundamentally unsatisfying about the whole thing, as smart and intricately structured as it is--and it has nothing whatsoever to do with any writing or acting or filmmaking issues, and everything to do with the fact that we've just been to this particular narrative well too many times in 2013.