Brotherhood : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jul 9, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.0

1. Nov 18, 2012
    Awesome. Far better than 99% of current cliche mafia/cop dramas filling up the TV schedules. This is one of those rare shows that should most definitely be brought back or made into a movie!!!
  2. May 13, 2011
    Over exaggerated for effect of course but still very well acted and put together..Jason Clarke is outstanding. It is he who gets the 10. Family guy doesnt rule Rhode island anymore......
  3. Sep 21, 2010
    I only got through the first season of Brotherhood. It seemed promissing at first, but it never seemed to take off. The contrast between the two brothers is fun, but it kind of gets in the way when you are just waiting for the "bad" brother scenes, as they are the most entertaining.
  4. DavidZ
    Dec 11, 2009
    This may be the best drama series I have ever seen! The character development is amazing across the board. It's an absolute shame that it was to intricate and nuanced to attract a wider audience and, as a result, was cancelled.
  5. TonyS
    Sep 17, 2009
    Bring this show back please. With all the nonsense reality shows, it's great to see something so raw. I love the inter-twinned stories and every episode has a superb twist to it.
  6. ChrisH.
    Nov 18, 2008
    After seeing this show at a friend's house, I subscribed to Showtime just to watch it. Showtime has certainly surpassed HBO as the best cable channel IMO.
  7. DeborahS.
    Oct 9, 2007
    I got Showtime only for 1 reason: Jason Isaacs, who is superb in everything he does. I was very surprised at how good the rest of the cast is and how good the show is. Check this one out!
  8. FrankL
    Sep 17, 2007
    One of the most riveting, realistic shows of its kind. The series borrows a fair amount from the Bulger brothers (real life brothers in Boston) and it is fascinating to imagine that some of the more graphic stuff probably has a basis in fact. Highly recommended!
  9. DaveL
    Sep 1, 2007
    Really well done show. The characters are very well developed and as in life the good ain't so good, and the bad ain't so bad. Can't wait to September 30th.
  10. kimm
    Feb 7, 2007
    excelllent characters, each one deserves at least one entire episode each, always left wanting to know more about what makes them tick, their background etc. Pete in particular is fascinating, much of his dialogue is loaded and full of implication, VERY WELL ACTED.
    Feb 3, 2007
    fucking great show!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. JohnM
    Nov 5, 2006
    Amazing show. Get's better with every episode. I feel much better knowing that there is a show for us Irish that shows the world what happens in the Irish-American Underworld, it's not all glits and glamor like the Italian-American Underworld, and, there are alot fewer rats...incase you didn't notice.
  13. CarlS
    Oct 19, 2006
    Very good show! I truly enjoyed every episode. It was fresh and always entertaining. Gotta bring Mike Caffe back! he's a hell of an actor!
  14. MaryKateO
    Oct 1, 2006
    I'm addicated! This could be Showtime's best show ever. The storyline and cast is nothing short of superb and I anxiously await next season.
  15. RMcrea
    Sep 26, 2006
    I've been gone from Rhode Island for about 22 years now (but grew up there). Everything in the episodes has been very accurate regarding the political climate, cultural climate, "neighborhood loyalties", and crime other than "the Hill" is an Italian section rather than Irish. The characters must have been based on real people because the seem so familiar to me. I really have to get I've been gone from Rhode Island for about 22 years now (but grew up there). Everything in the episodes has been very accurate regarding the political climate, cultural climate, "neighborhood loyalties", and crime other than "the Hill" is an Italian section rather than Irish. The characters must have been based on real people because the seem so familiar to me. I really have to get back to RI for a few Haven Bros NY System hot weinies...Great Show; can't wait for the next episode! Expand
  16. P.B.
    Sep 24, 2006
    I would have rated this series a 10, bu the season finale was supremely unsatisfying. The entire episode promised a clashing climax, and instead I was left yelling at the television....and I wasn't yelling "bravo." Too many of the season's storylines were were left dangling. I still think it's one of the finest series I've seen. The acting, writing, pacing were I would have rated this series a 10, bu the season finale was supremely unsatisfying. The entire episode promised a clashing climax, and instead I was left yelling at the television....and I wasn't yelling "bravo." Too many of the season's storylines were were left dangling. I still think it's one of the finest series I've seen. The acting, writing, pacing were dead-on. The characters were epic. Expand
  17. JV
    Sep 23, 2006
    A fine first season. I am glad it is being renewed. The only reason for me to subscribe to Showtime. Better than the last seasons plus of the Soprano's. Hopefully, a long run is in store.
  18. JeffT
    Sep 19, 2006
    Great show but really dark. I don't think there's been a smile in any of the shows so far - characters or viewers. But I am hooked!
  19. ÓskarH
    Sep 18, 2006
    This show is one of the best written tv shows on the market now, its wery robust and quite uniqe. It has some similareties to the hit show Sopranos, the personal setting and the "liking" of the caracters. And the slow reveal of the main plot in the show, wich differs to other tv shows were the plot and the main caracters are served to ypu on a platter, allmost spelled out for you. I think This show is one of the best written tv shows on the market now, its wery robust and quite uniqe. It has some similareties to the hit show Sopranos, the personal setting and the "liking" of the caracters. And the slow reveal of the main plot in the show, wich differs to other tv shows were the plot and the main caracters are served to ypu on a platter, allmost spelled out for you. I think this show is one of the best in television, and I look forward with exitement and hope for a nother serie.. Óskar Hallgrímsson, Reykjavik, Icelnad Expand
  20. RosemaryH
    Sep 18, 2006
    The writing is excellent and the casting is very Irish except for Tommy's wife who doesn't look very Irish to me and doesn't sound like she is from Providence. The mother is best female actor and both brothers deserve some kind of award this year! The bus crash episode was the best so far. Sure hope this comes back next year. The DVD should outsell the Sopranos.
  21. perrys
    Sep 4, 2006
    The plots are contrived, plodding and predictable and so are the characters. None of them are likeable and I find myself not caring about any of them. The camera work and editing are lousy too. On the whole this show is about as subtle as my comments.
  22. DANM
    Sep 4, 2006
    too many superlatives to list.i was turned off at first,but gave it asecond viewing and wow.this picks up where deadwood was cut off.
  23. SionC
    Aug 31, 2006
    These Irish boys show The Soprano's how it's supposed to be done (Celtic style).
  24. MarcM
    Aug 29, 2006
    The show was a little slow to get off the ground. Once you were use to the surroundings and the characters like anything else it's becoming very a dark series and continues to impress with every episode. I like how the disruption of the Caffee boys family (Mother, sister, kids) continues to play out with their home lives, very real and gritty stuff going on here. I'm looking The show was a little slow to get off the ground. Once you were use to the surroundings and the characters like anything else it's becoming very a dark series and continues to impress with every episode. I like how the disruption of the Caffee boys family (Mother, sister, kids) continues to play out with their home lives, very real and gritty stuff going on here. I'm looking forward to seeing how Michael will take over the street and how Tommy continues to make his own mark. Tommy is a little more like his brother then he thinks which is making for some great television. Sylvester Stallone will be an interesting figure for the last 4 episodes. Let's just hope they use Sly in the right role. Good Show! Expand
  25. ksmith
    Aug 28, 2006
    Excellent - look forward to many future seasons.
  26. ChristineW
    Aug 25, 2006
    This show makes the Sopranos look like a parody. Every week it keeps getting better and if you are local, you know that pretty much everything on this show is taken from true life. Seems more Boston than Providence since it is loosely based on the Bulgers - but a fabulous show!
  27. LanceW
    Aug 21, 2006
    a great show!! the character development is what makes the show. not many shows hook me, but this one has.
  28. TonyK
    Aug 21, 2006
    Superior acting and wicked fun.
  29. lisj
    Aug 20, 2006
    excellent acting and script. look forward to show every sunday night.
  30. SusieB
    Aug 17, 2006
    OMG, Brotherhood is excellent! I love it! Better than the Sopranos!!! Living only about 10 miles from Providence, I know they have perfected the accents and the well known landmarks, streets, establishments, surrounding communities, etc.! Thre acting is ooutstanding as well as the story line and writing. I am ecstatic about this series. I want more and more. I hope it never ends!!
  31. DonaldD
    Aug 7, 2006
    The Irish are coming, The Irish are coming. An extremely compelling look at a big small town, or a small big town (take your pick). The dialog is gripping, the language raw, and the emotions honestly put forward. A true winner in very sense of the word.
  32. jenna
    Aug 1, 2006
    Some of you make valid points. Anna Beth needs to work on not sound like she's from Boston. There could also be a bit more hummor like in Sopranos. But it's there and if you've watched from the start each hour is better than the last. As for Providence references if you live here you know that there is alot of similar activity and amazing places tucked into our little side Some of you make valid points. Anna Beth needs to work on not sound like she's from Boston. There could also be a bit more hummor like in Sopranos. But it's there and if you've watched from the start each hour is better than the last. As for Providence references if you live here you know that there is alot of similar activity and amazing places tucked into our little side streets so why not get it out there! In the end it always leaves you wanting more and wondering what will happen next. P.S. Ethan Embry as a serious actor I could not imagine but to see it he is awesome and still a bit funny too! Expand
  33. JeannineM
    Jul 31, 2006
    being a rhode islander-i love this series. i would love to have been an extra on this show. know every place they're at & how"so close"their conversations are w/facts & ways of life here.
  34. OneyB
    Jul 26, 2006
    Comparisons to The Wire are justified. It is a dark drama that moves slowly, but the payoffs (so far) are worth it. I love the family "gangster-politician" polarity. Should tie me over until the Sopranos return for their swan song.
  35. DianeK
    Jul 24, 2006
    Excellent show. Love the story line. I live in Boston and this "Brotherhood" sounds all too familiar.
  36. BillV
    Jul 23, 2006
    Good competition for Sopranos. Great character developement and usage.
  37. MeaghanK
    Jul 18, 2006
    Love the show! Freddie Cork is the bomb! And kind of sexy too....
  38. EiM
    Jul 18, 2006
    I am a native of Providence. Help! I fell asleep. Ms. Gish's accent is knowingly fake. Too much chatter in the script about Providence... The setting should be more subtle. Disappointed!
  39. RobertH
    Jul 12, 2006
    Excellent program! Great story line and cast.
  40. MatthewB
    The cast is superior!
  41. JohnW
    Jul 11, 2006
    Excellent show -- look up the story of Whitey Bulger for more insight.
  42. TroyP
    Jul 11, 2006
    Gritty and focused. Fans of Sopranos and The Wire will love it!
  43. AlexD
    Jul 10, 2006
    Gritty, edgy, BROTHERHOOD captures the reality of the challenges faced by politicians in the state legislature, and the different faces of their constituents. Can't wait to see what happens next.
  44. ChrisC
    wicked
  45. MichaelT
    Jul 10, 2006
    Great opening episode and as a Rhode Islander, I have to give kudo for way people and places in RI were woven into the story in a very accurate way.
  46. JeffM
    Jul 10, 2006
    Gritty and engaging. Very good potential here.
  47. MarcD.
    Jul 10, 2006
    I'll definitely keep watching, that's for sure. I woldn't necessarily want to compare it to "The Wire" like one of the pros did, but it did have that flavor. It's something you can sink your teeth into, and it won't insult your intelligence, like 90% of TV out there.
  48. RichardL
    Jul 9, 2006
    Really excellent.
  49. RebeccaL
    Jul 7, 2006
    I saw the first episode on Showtime on Demand and I can't wait to see more! It was very involving and the acting was outstanding. The two actors playing the brothers were far sexier than the usual boy-men starring in films and tv today.
  50. RobF
    Jul 7, 2006
    Strong, compelling characters, realistic story, themes of power, family, and neighborhood. What's not to like?

1. Let's get it out the way right now, the blurb that will be quoted after this review is run: "If you see nothing else this summer, watch 'Brotherhood.' "
    You might think you’ve seen this story before, and yet you haven’t seen it quite this way.
  3. People Weekly