Caprica : Season 1

• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 22, 2010
Season #: 1, 2

1. Sep 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The producers of Caprica set out to make it very different than the highly successful re-imaged Battlestar Galactica series (there's a brilliant idea, take a great show and make a spin-off that is no way like it...) . Caprica took place in an interesting world where realistic virtual worlds existed and AI was just being born. The special effects of the show were great, the world looked very pretty and believable.. However, I think where the show fails is that the characters are not characters a typical person can relate to. The characters are all either Mafia type mobsters, young people who have no problem committing acts of terrorism against the general public or rich software developers/robotic engineers somewhat like a Steve Jobs of the future. So unless you grew up in a mob family, are part of the Taliban or come from a very rich family (ie: if you are 99.99% of the population) you won't be able to relate to these characters. I did like the idea of having an AI clone of an emotionally volatile teenage girl hiding inside of a military robot, the suspense to see when she would freak out and accidentally or intentionally hurt or kill someone was fun, but other than that the series could've been done better. The series was worth watching but I gave it a 5 so it would show up as a mixed review since my opinion of the show is mixed. Expand
  2. BarryE.
    Feb 2, 2010
    Caprica seems to be about a planet where everybody smokes and manages to insert 'frak' into every second sentence. It moves grindingly slowly and takes forever to make a point. I watched the pilot and the first episode, but I don't think I'll be watching future episodes.

1. Less action-packed than BSG, but still awash in the familiar themes of life, loss, identity, and big frakkin' robots with guns.
  2. How it all goes awry is the question that provides Caprica with its ripe potential. Unfortunately, a serious storytelling mistake in the early going has left me with doubts about whether it has the wherewithal to get there.
  3. Reviewed by: Diane Werts
    Caprica feels torn between soulfully mature ruminations and adolescent "accessibility" for gamers wondering where the space action went. Let's hope the pilot's spellbinding second hour points the way toward greatness.