Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
6.0

1. Apr 25, 2013
    Catfish is a MTV show about online relationships; specifically, about people that pretend to be other people by the means of a fake internet persona [a catfish] to lure real persons into a friendship that usually develops itself into a love relationship.

However the more interesting part about the show is not the catfish's true identity because one would unavoidably judge him or her for being dishonest from the very beginning yet I can’t help thinking about their victims and their naivety. The fact that they do not research deeply the people with whom they have fallen in love. In some of the episodes, the victims tell that they have sustained the online relationship for more than a year without knowing personally nor on live camera the person for whom they have developed a close emotional attachment, a friendship or even love. They eventually suspect that there’s something odd with the other person and contact the show hosts to ask for their help in order to ease their suspicions and finally check whether the person they like/love truly exist or not.

Thus it makes me wonder how far is the human being capable to go in the land of permissiveness just to get some emotional retribution that might not be honest at all in the end. Why are humans so desperate to be emotionally attached to a peer so as to tolerate elusiveness, doubts and a final and potentially absolute dishonesty? Is it desperation? One could think that the victims do not really know about the way anonymity works on the internet despite the fact that they are using it regularly to keep in touch with their catfish. If people are willing to compromise their emotional stability, which is not a small trade at all, just for the sake of feeling loved and needed by somebody that is not probably real then we could think that there is something extremely wrong going on with us; something really wrong about the ways we connect to each other in the hopes to develop emotional reciprocity. Catfish is, in its core, a show based on emotional desperation, its most relevant feature.
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    Awesome show. Keep doing great shows like this MTV.
  3. Nov 17, 2012
    I watched the first episode and I want Sunny to be at peace because by no means should she be embarrassed. Never have I posted a review for anything. She is an awe inspiring person by how mature her response was to the devastating situation. I was expected crying and more or less a tantrum. She is an inspiration for any female out there.
  4. Dec 18, 2012
    So, I watched Catfish-the movie, and saw that there was going to be a TV show about that sort of thing. My first thought was "FINALLY, a reality show that's doing people a service"! I watch lots of reality shows, and although they can be entertaining, they don't reflect much on real life. I think it's great that Nev is using his own personal experience to raise awareness on the subject.So, I watched Catfish-the movie, and saw that there was going to be a TV show about that sort of thing. My first thought was "FINALLY, a reality show that's doing people a service"! I watch lots of reality shows, and although they can be entertaining, they don't reflect much on real life. I think it's great that Nev is using his own personal experience to raise awareness on the subject. People need to be more careful about who they talk to and information they share online. It's refreshing to see that even after what happened to him, and all he's seen, Nev is still an incurable optimist, and hasn't become jaded :D! Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Nov 12, 2012
    Despite the occasional artificial reality flourish, Catfish: The TV Show is a timely, engaging, and often poignant addition to MTV's lineup.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Nov 12, 2012
    A document of cruel self-delusions, an index of unusual realities, virtually a postscript to the body of Western literature about romantic love, and an extraordinarily fine opportunity to exult in the suffering of your fellow human beings, Catfish is a TV show.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Nov 12, 2012
    Schulman seems desperate to extract meaning from the situation, but this isn't "Undercover Boss": The only prize available for the deceived is the attention for which they may already have proven a little too hungry.