Catfish: The TV Show : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
5.8

1. Jan 9, 2013
    Even though "Catfish: The TV Show" is not the greatest it still does provide some interesting entertainment especially for a reality show. What makes it interesting is the whole surprise element of the show. If an episode lacks the surprise element then the episode ends up predictable and quite boring which ultimately happened in a few (episode 2, & 5). Another aspect that drives the showEven though "Catfish: The TV Show" is not the greatest it still does provide some interesting entertainment especially for a reality show. What makes it interesting is the whole surprise element of the show. If an episode lacks the surprise element then the episode ends up predictable and quite boring which ultimately happened in a few (episode 2, & 5). Another aspect that drives the show is obviously the people. Many of them come off delusional and quite often it feels as if they just made up these "relationships" to get on MTV. Overall, the series is okay since it does offer some surprises, but other than that it is predictable. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2013
    Nev Schulman is cute and has a presence that makes for a good reality star (documentary movie subject) crossover into show host/mentor/guide, with genuine charisma. I think if he didn't exhibit as much empathy for his subjects he would lose his relevance, because it's his prior experience in being "catfished" that helps him to stay grounded in the show. He's almost "too hot" for theNev Schulman is cute and has a presence that makes for a good reality star (documentary movie subject) crossover into show host/mentor/guide, with genuine charisma. I think if he didn't exhibit as much empathy for his subjects he would lose his relevance, because it's his prior experience in being "catfished" that helps him to stay grounded in the show. He's almost "too hot" for the ordinary lives that he walks into. The other thing i think bothers me is the meaning of catfish. His "catfish" a rather plain, middle-aged woman living a rather non-descript life gets her name from her husband, he likens her lying and manipulation to how a catfish put into the same boat hold that contains a fisherman's catch of the day keeps nipping at the fish, which keeps them moving and from dying. So basically something as bad as lying manipulation get a makeover into she "keeps us on our toes." Now the term seems to no longer make a connection with Angela's husband coining of the term, into the wider spread phenomenon of people who make fake facebook profiles. I wonder how many people can be tricked any longer what with the easy tool of using the reverse image look-up w/ google and how it can be performed by anyone. My final comment is, I wish someone would delve into the fake profiles where they don't seem to be anyone behind it, just more and more connections, using other people's pictures. But while they are tagged in other peoples "multi-tag"pictures, they never speak or post personal things. Just a ghost of a profile, not a real person, not even trying to be a real person. Maybe there will be mor e ways our modern technology results in tricking others. Maybe the show will have more mileage than i thought. Expand
  3. Jan 5, 2014
    It started off sounding interesting but after about three episodes I started to tire of it. After suffering Nevs whiney voice, it started to grate on me. Then the novelty of people being massively overweight in reality, who surprisingly agreed to meet. Its not a long term programme in my opinion.

1. Reviewed by: Matthew Gilbert
    Nov 12, 2012
    Despite the occasional artificial reality flourish, Catfish: The TV Show is a timely, engaging, and often poignant addition to MTV's lineup.
  2. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Nov 12, 2012
    A document of cruel self-delusions, an index of unusual realities, virtually a postscript to the body of Western literature about romantic love, and an extraordinarily fine opportunity to exult in the suffering of your fellow human beings, Catfish is a TV show.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Nov 12, 2012
    Schulman seems desperate to extract meaning from the situation, but this isn't "Undercover Boss": The only prize available for the deceived is the attention for which they may already have proven a little too hungry.