Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.2

1. StaceyS.
    Jun 1, 2007
    I have been sleep for a while until I saw City of Men. Americans have no idea of what it means to struggle. Homeless people here are considered middle class compared to children in Rio de Janerio. This series has inspired me to stay conscious to the struugle and pray for justice.
  2. Athos
    Jul 3, 2006
    Really great
  3. marios
    Jan 27, 2007
    that´s a realy good show, has everything !!!
  4. FredericoM
    Apr 4, 2006
    Definatly a great series. Ive seen it here in Brasil 2 years ago. Im sure it will be something unique for north american watchers.
  5. DougA
    Jul 13, 2006
    This is the kind of thing you never see on American TV, even on the premium channels. This show realistically shows life as it is lived by millions of people in Brazil (and elsewhere in the world, for that matter) with great humanity, understanding, compassion and humor. Anyone who is looking for a viewing experience beyond misbehaving wealthy adolescents (like the OC and the like) owe it This is the kind of thing you never see on American TV, even on the premium channels. This show realistically shows life as it is lived by millions of people in Brazil (and elsewhere in the world, for that matter) with great humanity, understanding, compassion and humor. Anyone who is looking for a viewing experience beyond misbehaving wealthy adolescents (like the OC and the like) owe it to themselves to check this out! Expand
    Jul 15, 2007
    Absolutely incredible. This could very well be the best tv show I've ever seen from any country. The film making, acting and character development are all amazing. Highly, highly recommended.
  7. BroderickW.
    Jul 9, 2007
    This is the best show on black drama television.
  8. xavierg
    Dec 13, 2006
    great film overal... i could watch ti over and over.. one of the best and real shows i have ever seen..
  9. SamK
    May 14, 2006
    An absolute must see series. I downloaded the first two seasons off the internet a year ago, and I've had it on repeat ever since. If you enjoyed City of God. the film, you will appreciate this work. Easily one of the best series in a long time. Can't wait for seasons three and four to air on Sundance.
  10. NancyH
    Aug 26, 2006
    Excellent show--here's one that integrates cool use of the camera and effects that does not over-run the content of the show. Characters are compelling--from every side, and the look into this culture is fascinating. A must TV watch.
  11. RoyW
    Feb 22, 2007
    It's a living, breathing show. The favela really comes alive in each episode and while I've never been to Brazil, I have been to the slums in the Philippines and the series reminds me of the friends and family I used to know back then.
  12. SteveG
    Apr 22, 2006
    Superb. Every episode is a gem. Well developed characters and social commentary with no small amount of humour. One of the best series of recent years.

1. Those unfamiliar with the film may find some scenes--like when the actors break character to tell their real-life stories--a bit jarring. [7 Apr 2006, p.54]
  2. The humorous moments are all the more precious because life is so tough in this engrossing series.
  3. It's a work whose immense vitality and a persuasive naturalism overcome its occasional paroxysms of style or hammered-home points.