Commander in Chief : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 27, 2005
8.4

1. JimG
    Nov 3, 2005
    A desultory combination of The West Wing and All My Children. When a woman finally becomes President, it will be more the former and less the latter. Mac and the show aren't going to make it if she keeps trying to be a good-enough parent. The White House will never be a family-friendly employer.
  2. DanB.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Bartlett Is My President.
  3. YoNamara
    Jan 6, 2006
    Not great but not severely bad. Average to Poor writing. A lot of "Feel Good" factors, which take away the realism of political dramas. The problems may be credited to inexperience issues of being a 1st season show. Well, it won't be longer than 2 seasons at this rate.
  4. Sam
    Oct 14, 2005
    Is it a great show? No. Did it feature tons of promise? Yes. Does it still have its charms and promise? Yes.
  5. JasparC
    Oct 23, 2005
    Not a bad show on premise, but it just seems a little thin on content. Davis is a good actress, but she's hard to understand sometimes as she talks without moving her mouth.
  6. Andrew
    Oct 5, 2005
    Utter pap. The only show I know where I changed the channel before the episode was finished. I have not seen the West Wing so I have no frame of reference for political shows, but I would think a show about a female president would be more interesting and gender-debunking.
  7. willieboy
    Jun 22, 2006
    I would have given a 7, but then I saw the last episode: The President (Gina Davis) decides her lasting legacy as she leaves office will be the reinstatement of the failed ERA Amendment. She grows nostalgic and misty-eyed about NOW (the National Organization for Women) and is overcome with emotion as she breathlessly reminds her press secretary, 'They changed the world!' I I would have given a 7, but then I saw the last episode: The President (Gina Davis) decides her lasting legacy as she leaves office will be the reinstatement of the failed ERA Amendment. She grows nostalgic and misty-eyed about NOW (the National Organization for Women) and is overcome with emotion as she breathlessly reminds her press secretary, 'They changed the world!' I nearly fell over laughing... The show has been canceled--at no loss to the public forum. Expand
  8. RDent
    Oct 17, 2005
    This show is pretty thin on content, especially when companred to a real political drama like The West Wing. It's not that Davis doesn't try, it's that she's trying too hard. On the one hand, the series is constantly repeating the fact that Mac is the first female president (over and over again until even us women's libbers are sick of it, and is it a coincidence This show is pretty thin on content, especially when companred to a real political drama like The West Wing. It's not that Davis doesn't try, it's that she's trying too hard. On the one hand, the series is constantly repeating the fact that Mac is the first female president (over and over again until even us women's libbers are sick of it, and is it a coincidence that her nickname, Mac, is pretty darn masculine?), but on the flip side, they consistently make reference to how demeaning it is for her husband to be the First Spouse (apparently, such a role insults his masculinity and should be reserved for women.) And the writing is just awful. I mean, did anyone bother to proof read this thing?? In her first speech to a joint session of Congress, Mac says, "But soon we have to return to the future..." Unless you're Michael J Fox, you can't return to somewhere you've never been. Hey Mac, a suggestion - get Toby and Sam on your Communications team. Bartlett never would have made a junior mistake like that. Expand
  9. PabloG
    Dec 30, 2005
    After only 4 chapters (downloaded to my ipod) and being a "West Wing" fan, all I can said is that the script is poor for making handling of political problems so easy. I am not a US citizen and the way this series is handling international conflicts is like a dream, the true is what everybody knows (Irak, etc). I gave a 5 to the series because the great performance of characters.

As drama, tonight's pilot has its flaws, but it is, nevertheless, one of those electrifying TV productions that instead of simply seeking to divert or amuse, challenges viewers to imagine a reality other than the one they have been conditioned to accept.
    Some viewers will be put off by the many unbelievable aspects of ''Commander in Chief," and not least of all by Geena Davis.
    Heavy-handed.