• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
6.9

1. Feb 10, 2013
    Since I saw the announcement of Dan Harmon's dismissal, I became very worried for this show's future. I was willing to give it a chance though, since the writing department of the show is still the same and it has a grasp on what really moves this show. However, after seeing the first episode of the season 4, some of my worries turned out to be plausible.

The show's old formula is
    still intact, full of cultural references like The Hunger Games, Muppet Babies, a spoof with laugh-track (which might got some people apprehensive at first sight) etc. However, the departure of Dan Harmon is very visible and now we know how important his work was, pushing everyone from the cast and staff to do what he thought it was good. His magic was to dump all sort of references in the episode and still manage to make it a cohesive story, taking liberty of squeezing out the best of every actor and actress there. All that seem lost in this episode. It felt like cobbled-up takes with the usual references but without anything to tie them together. The cast seemed lost, their talent unappreciated by the weak script they had to follow. Even Pierce, who's supposed to come up with a funny but outrageous bigotry every now and then was left out, his presence in the first episode being similar to a background prop.

It hurts to see this show being so dull. When I heard we would have only 13 episodes I wished for more, now I'm seriously hoping it ends up fast enough. And if the show hits the bottom, I sincerely hope the new show runners David Guarascio and Moses Port never find a job in the TV again. You had it all, you could've even begged for Harmon's enlightenment but you tried and ruined it.
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    This show has gone from great to insufferable with the loss of its creator, as much as it pains me to admit as a former fan.
    I've watched the first 7 episodes of season 4, and I have nothing good to say about them.
    The magic is gone.
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    The show has really gone downhill from the original first two seasons. Instead of a show about community college it has become a ridiculous sequence of events devoid of any plausibility. So all the moments that would be shocking or awkward aren't very funny because no one in the show is level enough to make those moments seem ridiculous. There has been no character development at all and the relationships and interactions between all the characters has remained the same. To sum it up the show has become very impersonal and only seeks to one-up itself in its own absurdity. It lacks any long term growth and it will be depressing to see them stretch this show to the six seasons and a movie that they want, without significant changes to show. Expand
  4. Jan 21, 2014
    Such a disappointment. As someone who's only recently gotten into the series, I've crammed the first 4 seasons to catch up to season 5. I knew going into this that this season was a disappointment but I thought it was a disappointment for a different reason. The ideas were there definitely. It's like they had access to Harmon's book of secrets but couldn't bring everything in it to life. The storylines that were built up all the way through season 3 were meant to end in this season. The way they went out were very lackluster however. I can say that most of the problem I had was with the actors though. They seemed to just coast through most of the episodes, especially McHale. He delivered so many dull and uninspired performances this season that I lost count. He clearly wasn't into what was going on in the show and, knowing what we do now about how far he went to bring Harmon back, it's clear Harmon was the thing that lit his fire for being in the show. The dismissal of Harmon was NBC killing the golden goose and trying to replace it with a bronze goose. While it still gave out a good product, it wasn't as good as the original and, now that they realized the mistake they made, they won't be able to get back the original magic that was so prominent in the first 3 seasons with the departure of Chevy Chase and Donald Glover. I personally like what they've done with Season 5 so far but, we've yet to see what will happen when Troy leaves the show. He was a huge linchpin for the success of the show and I don't know what it will be like without him. As for this season, there were some good moments but very few laughs for me. I'm so glad this season won't effect any upcoming episodes. It's best that we just forget it ever happened. Expand
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    A terrible end to what, at first, promised to be a witty and hilarious show. The characters did not really grow, and the episodes became weirder and more meaningless as the season went on.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    As for the two episodes themselves, they are good, if perhaps missing the same levels of confidence that Community exhibited during its run thus far
    It’s not a terrible show. But it’s missing that unharmonious Harmon-ian spark of madness, that smiling volatility that made the show exciting (for fans) even when a line or scene or whole episode wasn’t quite working.
  3. Reviewed by: Laurel Brown
    Feb 8, 2013
    The writers of Community have done a good job with what they were given. The problem is, they needed Dan Harmon.