Community : Season 4

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
6.9

1. Mar 19, 2015
    After all the well publicised troubles Community’s fourth season finds the show without creator and original show runner Dan Harmon, and unfortunately his absence is felt. That’s not to say that it is totally unwatchable, the characters fans have come to know and love make sure of that, but it does often seems to be trying too hard to play up to the expectations of what the show should be.After all the well publicised troubles Community’s fourth season finds the show without creator and original show runner Dan Harmon, and unfortunately his absence is felt. That’s not to say that it is totally unwatchable, the characters fans have come to know and love make sure of that, but it does often seems to be trying too hard to play up to the expectations of what the show should be. A number of episodes simply try to fit in too many ideas to the extent that none of them can be properly explored and the concept episodes that the show has become famous for aren't even in the same league as episodes like Modern Warfare or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

If you go into this season with lower expectations then you’ll most likely still find a few things to enjoy but, what was once arguably the most imaginative show on television is now a shadow of its former self.
  2. Jun 1, 2013
    Been watching this series and I couldn't work out why it was suddenly misfiring so badly. I must have been the last person on earth to find out that the shows creator got fired. It feels like a cloning process that has gone horribly wrong. So painful for this to happen to what was one of the most inventive shows on T.V.

That's show business!
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    Since I saw the announcement of Dan Harmon's dismissal, I became very worried for this show's future. I was willing to give it a chance though, since the writing department of the show is still the same and it has a grasp on what really moves this show. However, after seeing the first episode of the season 4, some of my worries turned out to be plausible.

The show's old formula is

The show's old formula is still intact, full of cultural references like The Hunger Games, Muppet Babies, a spoof with laugh-track (which might got some people apprehensive at first sight) etc. However, the departure of Dan Harmon is very visible and now we know how important his work was, pushing everyone from the cast and staff to do what he thought it was good. His magic was to dump all sort of references in the episode and still manage to make it a cohesive story, taking liberty of squeezing out the best of every actor and actress there. All that seem lost in this episode. It felt like cobbled-up takes with the usual references but without anything to tie them together. The cast seemed lost, their talent unappreciated by the weak script they had to follow. Even Pierce, who's supposed to come up with a funny but outrageous bigotry every now and then was left out, his presence in the first episode being similar to a background prop.

It hurts to see this show being so dull. When I heard we would have only 13 episodes I wished for more, now I'm seriously hoping it ends up fast enough. And if the show hits the bottom, I sincerely hope the new show runners David Guarascio and Moses Port never find a job in the TV again. You had it all, you could've even begged for Harmon's enlightenment but you tried and ruined it.
  4. Feb 8, 2013
    I should preface this review by mentioning that I'm a longtime Community viewer who's seen every season up to this point, and I was nervous about about NBC dismissing series creator Dan Harmon. After watching the first episode, it would seem that my nervousness was justified. NBC screwed up. The characters seem different and the humor never rises to the standards set by the previousI should preface this review by mentioning that I'm a longtime Community viewer who's seen every season up to this point, and I was nervous about about NBC dismissing series creator Dan Harmon. After watching the first episode, it would seem that my nervousness was justified. NBC screwed up. The characters seem different and the humor never rises to the standards set by the previous seasons. It feels as if a group of strangers watched a bunch of Community episodes and then did their best approximation of every character's mannerisms and typical episode scenarios-- like a cheap knockoff of the Community I know and love. That isn't to say that this new Community is horrible, it's not. I laughed a couple of times during the first episode. It's merely passably good whereas the old Community was one of the all time greats. Maybe it will get better as the season progresses, can't say I'm optimistic though. As of this moment, the show just feels off. Expand
  5. Jan 21, 2014
    Such a disappointment. As someone who's only recently gotten into the series, I've crammed the first 4 seasons to catch up to season 5. I knew going into this that this season was a disappointment but I thought it was a disappointment for a different reason. The ideas were there definitely. It's like they had access to Harmon's book of secrets but couldn't bring everything in it to life.Such a disappointment. As someone who's only recently gotten into the series, I've crammed the first 4 seasons to catch up to season 5. I knew going into this that this season was a disappointment but I thought it was a disappointment for a different reason. The ideas were there definitely. It's like they had access to Harmon's book of secrets but couldn't bring everything in it to life. The storylines that were built up all the way through season 3 were meant to end in this season. The way they went out were very lackluster however. I can say that most of the problem I had was with the actors though. They seemed to just coast through most of the episodes, especially McHale. He delivered so many dull and uninspired performances this season that I lost count. He clearly wasn't into what was going on in the show and, knowing what we do now about how far he went to bring Harmon back, it's clear Harmon was the thing that lit his fire for being in the show. The dismissal of Harmon was NBC killing the golden goose and trying to replace it with a bronze goose. While it still gave out a good product, it wasn't as good as the original and, now that they realized the mistake they made, they won't be able to get back the original magic that was so prominent in the first 3 seasons with the departure of Chevy Chase and Donald Glover. I personally like what they've done with Season 5 so far but, we've yet to see what will happen when Troy leaves the show. He was a huge linchpin for the success of the show and I don't know what it will be like without him. As for this season, there were some good moments but very few laughs for me. I'm so glad this season won't effect any upcoming episodes. It's best that we just forget it ever happened. Expand
  6. Jan 13, 2014
    Unfortunately this season of Community is by far the weakest one. The story lines seem scrambled and the acting not as hilarious as it once was. We need Dan Harmon.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    As for the two episodes themselves, they are good, if perhaps missing the same levels of confidence that Community exhibited during its run thus far
    It’s not a terrible show. But it’s missing that unharmonious Harmon-ian spark of madness, that smiling volatility that made the show exciting (for fans) even when a line or scene or whole episode wasn’t quite working.
  3. Reviewed by: Laurel Brown
    Feb 8, 2013
    The writers of Community have done a good job with what they were given. The problem is, they needed Dan Harmon.