• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
6.9

1. Feb 10, 2013
    Since I saw the announcement of Dan Harmon's dismissal, I became very worried for this show's future. I was willing to give it a chance though, since the writing department of the show is still the same and it has a grasp on what really moves this show. However, after seeing the first episode of the season 4, some of my worries turned out to be plausible.

The show's old formula is
    still intact, full of cultural references like The Hunger Games, Muppet Babies, a spoof with laugh-track (which might got some people apprehensive at first sight) etc. However, the departure of Dan Harmon is very visible and now we know how important his work was, pushing everyone from the cast and staff to do what he thought it was good. His magic was to dump all sort of references in the episode and still manage to make it a cohesive story, taking liberty of squeezing out the best of every actor and actress there. All that seem lost in this episode. It felt like cobbled-up takes with the usual references but without anything to tie them together. The cast seemed lost, their talent unappreciated by the weak script they had to follow. Even Pierce, who's supposed to come up with a funny but outrageous bigotry every now and then was left out, his presence in the first episode being similar to a background prop.

It hurts to see this show being so dull. When I heard we would have only 13 episodes I wished for more, now I'm seriously hoping it ends up fast enough. And if the show hits the bottom, I sincerely hope the new show runners David Guarascio and Moses Port never find a job in the TV again. You had it all, you could've even begged for Harmon's enlightenment but you tried and ruined it.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    Although Community Season 4 will certainly not be as good as Seasons 1 and 2, I'm sure it will still be an outstanding piece of television, and be superior to many other current TV programmes.
  3. Feb 8, 2013
    I should preface this review by mentioning that I'm a longtime Community viewer who's seen every season up to this point, and I was nervous about about NBC dismissing series creator Dan Harmon. After watching the first episode, it would seem that my nervousness was justified. NBC screwed up. The characters seem different and the humor never rises to the standards set by the previous seasons. It feels as if a group of strangers watched a bunch of Community episodes and then did their best approximation of every character's mannerisms and typical episode scenarios-- like a cheap knockoff of the Community I know and love. That isn't to say that this new Community is horrible, it's not. I laughed a couple of times during the first episode. It's merely passably good whereas the old Community was one of the all time greats. Maybe it will get better as the season progresses, can't say I'm optimistic though. As of this moment, the show just feels off. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    This show has gone from great to insufferable with the loss of its creator, as much as it pains me to admit as a former fan.
    I've watched the first 7 episodes of season 4, and I have nothing good to say about them.
    The magic is gone.
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Community is just, well it can't be described in words unfortunately. Community is by far the best comedy show/series since friends in my opinion. Yes it IS that good, just watch it and you will know why, it's just unexplanable.
  6. Feb 10, 2013
    It feels like something is missing, and we all know who is. But with this strange feeling of lacking, Community still manages to be one of the funniest shows on TV. The big problem, now, is that the network has a reason to shut it down beside ratings.
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    After all the well publicised troubles Community’s fourth season finds the show without creator and original show runner Dan Harmon, and unfortunately his absence is felt. That’s not to say that it is totally unwatchable, the characters fans have come to know and love make sure of that, but it does often seems to be trying too hard to play up to the expectations of what the show should be. be. A number of episodes simply try to fit in too many ideas to the extent that none of them can be properly explored and the concept episodes that the show has become famous for aren't even in the same league as episodes like Modern Warfare or Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

If you go into this season with lower expectations then you’ll most likely still find a few things to enjoy but, what was once arguably the most imaginative show on television, is now a shadow of its former self.

**Update: Dan Harmon is back in charge for season 5 and there were more laughs in the first two episodes than most of this season put together.
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    Been watching this series and I couldn't work out why it was suddenly misfiring so badly. I must have been the last person on earth to find out that the shows creator got fired. It feels like a cloning process that has gone horribly wrong. So painful for this to happen to what was one of the most inventive shows on T.V.

That's show business!
  9. Jun 3, 2013
    I was going into this season with pretty low expectations, but the new showrunners did quite a good job.
    1. History 101 4/10. It just didn't feel like "Community".
    2. Paranormal Parentage 7/10. A great Halloween episode that felt more like the first 3 seasons.
    3. Conventions of Space and Time 5/10. Annie was really weird in this episode.
    4. Alternate History of the German Invasion
    5/10. Another lackluster episode, however, a little better than the last one.
    5. Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations 6/10. Getting better, but Adam DeVine was a bit annoying.
    6. Advanced Documentary Filmmaking 8/10. Ken Jeong was great as Kevin/Chang. Also the funniest episode till now.
    7. Economics of Marine Biology 7/10. Good ep, loved the Jeff/Pierce storyline.
    8. Herstory of Dance 6/10. Liked the Abed-Rachel storyline.
    9. Intro to Felt Surrogacy 7/10. The cast was great as puppets, but the songs were a bit stretched.
    10. Intro to Knots 7/10. I kinda missed Pierce in this one.
    11. Basic Human Anatomy 7/10. Better than the last 4 eps, Jim Rash did a good job as the writer. Troy and Abed switching bodies!
    12. Heroic Origins 8/10. I really enjoyed the storyline.
    13. Advanced Introduction to Finality 6/10. This was supposed to be one of the most important episodes of the series, but most of the plot wasn't even real.

Although 2-3 episodes seemed "off", this was still a great season of television. Not as legendary and epic as the first 2 seasons, but still great.
  10. Apr 21, 2013
    The show has really gone downhill from the original first two seasons. Instead of a show about community college it has become a ridiculous sequence of events devoid of any plausibility. So all the moments that would be shocking or awkward aren't very funny because no one in the show is level enough to make those moments seem ridiculous. There has been no character development at all and the relationships and interactions between all the characters has remained the same. To sum it up the show has become very impersonal and only seeks to one-up itself in its own absurdity. It lacks any long term growth and it will be depressing to see them stretch this show to the six seasons and a movie that they want, without significant changes to show. Expand
  11. May 18, 2013
    Community is one of the best TV shows, but the fourth season wasn't up to the high standards of seasons 1-3. Community is still very enjoyable to watch, don't get me wrong, but it was not the same experience without Dan Harmon running the show. Season 4 got off to a slow start, but toward the back half of the season, there were some entertaining episodes ("Intro to Knots" and "Intro to Felt Surrogacy). My main issue with this season was the writing. The writing was not very good, except for Jim Rash's episode "Basic Human Anatomy", which was great.

Overall, I can't wait for Season 5!

#sixseasonsandamovie
  12. Jan 21, 2014
    Such a disappointment. As someone who's only recently gotten into the series, I've crammed the first 4 seasons to catch up to season 5. I knew going into this that this season was a disappointment but I thought it was a disappointment for a different reason. The ideas were there definitely. It's like they had access to Harmon's book of secrets but couldn't bring everything in it to life. The storylines that were built up all the way through season 3 were meant to end in this season. The way they went out were very lackluster however. I can say that most of the problem I had was with the actors though. They seemed to just coast through most of the episodes, especially McHale. He delivered so many dull and uninspired performances this season that I lost count. He clearly wasn't into what was going on in the show and, knowing what we do now about how far he went to bring Harmon back, it's clear Harmon was the thing that lit his fire for being in the show. The dismissal of Harmon was NBC killing the golden goose and trying to replace it with a bronze goose. While it still gave out a good product, it wasn't as good as the original and, now that they realized the mistake they made, they won't be able to get back the original magic that was so prominent in the first 3 seasons with the departure of Chevy Chase and Donald Glover. I personally like what they've done with Season 5 so far but, we've yet to see what will happen when Troy leaves the show. He was a huge linchpin for the success of the show and I don't know what it will be like without him. As for this season, there were some good moments but very few laughs for me. I'm so glad this season won't effect any upcoming episodes. It's best that we just forget it ever happened. Expand
  13. Feb 9, 2013
    Coming back just as weird and innovative as before, Community continues to offer its devoted fans with the show they have been waiting for with its superb writing, great ensemble cast, and low regard to feed the masses with the ordinary.
  14. Feb 15, 2013
    Awesome, same show, same laughs. Love it. All the people who don't like it obviously didn't like the show in the first place or just had expectations so low that they convinced themselves that it is bad.
  15. Apr 12, 2013
    Still one of my favorite shows on TV. This is one of three shows I make sure to watch as it airs each week. I've been watching since the first season and truly hope that it goes six seasons and a movie!
  16. Oct 6, 2013
    A terrible end to what, at first, promised to be a witty and hilarious show. The characters did not really grow, and the episodes became weirder and more meaningless as the season went on.
  17. Jan 13, 2014
    Unfortunately this season of Community is by far the weakest one. The story lines seem scrambled and the acting not as hilarious as it once was. We need Dan Harmon.
  18. May 9, 2014
    Its a step down especially without its show runner Dan Harmon but Community is still charming with its cast and crew. But the writing and direction definitely took a hit hopefully they fix it next season.
  19. Feb 16, 2014
    Community Season 4 felt different since the creator/writer had to leave the show for this season, but there is still to say that the show still kept going on, Community Season 4 just wasn't on par with the 3 seasons that came before but season 4 had the laughs still and it's still better than any sitcom on TV.
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    You can't just take a series away from its creator and try to capture the same tone. There were a lot of great moments and a few nice episodes in the season but the show increased its pace so much that there were drastic changes in the characters and somehow the show tried to play off safe at the same time by blending in parody episodes. This made the setting and the characters unreletable. Abed was a genius, he became irritating. Troy became a nothing more than a sidekick. Shirley was left in the background. Britta turned into understanding girlfriend instead of a self contradicting rebel. Jeff became a girl with daddy issues rather than a mentor. Pierce became useless. Characters had no contribution to the overall self awareness of the show. The season was still fun to watch but I guess not many people enjoyed where this was all going. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    As for the two episodes themselves, they are good, if perhaps missing the same levels of confidence that Community exhibited during its run thus far
    It’s not a terrible show. But it’s missing that unharmonious Harmon-ian spark of madness, that smiling volatility that made the show exciting (for fans) even when a line or scene or whole episode wasn’t quite working.
  3. Reviewed by: Laurel Brown
    Feb 8, 2013
    The writers of Community have done a good job with what they were given. The problem is, they needed Dan Harmon.