Community : Season 5

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.7

1. Jan 5, 2014
    I think it is safe to say Community is without a doubt back in action. Harmon's presence is noticed here with the great writing that Community has always been known for. Awesome to see Jonathan Banks join the cast for the time being. Can't wait for the rest of the season!
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    Community is definitely back. Every episode has that "Dan Harmon" vibe to it like they did in the first three seasons. A lot of high concept plots, inside jokes and hilarity that season 4 did not have enough of. Even after just 5 episodes, Community has regained the "spirit of Greendale" that was seemingly lost in the shuffle of trying to do a "Dan Harmon without Dan Harmon" kind of showCommunity is definitely back. Every episode has that "Dan Harmon" vibe to it like they did in the first three seasons. A lot of high concept plots, inside jokes and hilarity that season 4 did not have enough of. Even after just 5 episodes, Community has regained the "spirit of Greendale" that was seemingly lost in the shuffle of trying to do a "Dan Harmon without Dan Harmon" kind of show last season. Expand
  3. Jan 3, 2014
    Community is back and better than ever! Hope to see this continue throughout the season! Dan Harmon's return is nothing short of magnificent and the first two episodes really were a delight. Very quotable
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    Harmon is back, and it feels like it. The show is heading back to the genius of Seasons 1-3 again. The first episode was as "repilot" and it helped get this show back on track. The second episode was the funniest of the two, and also introduced the great Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) to the cast!
  5. Jan 4, 2014
    Despite barely escaping cancellation and what many considered a relatively mediocre season without creator Dan Harmon at the helm, season 5 comes out swinging. The writing is solid and sets up an interesting season, but what's best here is that the original charm is back. If the rest of the season continues in this direction, the show will be able to greatly expand its viewership, and itsDespite barely escaping cancellation and what many considered a relatively mediocre season without creator Dan Harmon at the helm, season 5 comes out swinging. The writing is solid and sets up an interesting season, but what's best here is that the original charm is back. If the rest of the season continues in this direction, the show will be able to greatly expand its viewership, and its small but rabid original fanbase will love it more than ever. Expand
  6. Jan 3, 2014
    Let me first say that I enjoyed season 4, I thought it was a *solid* season of TV. That being said it was missing the touch of Dan Harmon and after watching the first two episodes of season 5, I am in absolute no doubt that this show is back in the mode that made the first 3 seasons so great. Hallmarks of the classic Community humor and writing could be seen all throughout "Introduction toLet me first say that I enjoyed season 4, I thought it was a *solid* season of TV. That being said it was missing the touch of Dan Harmon and after watching the first two episodes of season 5, I am in absolute no doubt that this show is back in the mode that made the first 3 seasons so great. Hallmarks of the classic Community humor and writing could be seen all throughout "Introduction to Teaching" and "Repilot". This show is back in a big way. Expand
  7. Jan 4, 2014
    Season 5, so far, is great! They address many issues and story lines from the past perfectly. You really feel Dan Harmon's humor coming through. There's really a sense of the show going back to its roots, while having to deal with the fact they are on their 5th year.

I'm honestly shocked 'Community' doesn't receive more awards for acting... Danny Pudi is brilliant this season. It also appears that Donald Glover was given many classic lines so far, maybe a farewell gift from Dan?
  8. May 5, 2014
    this show used to be amazing now it's just not funny anymore. the episodes are weird but not in a good way. i haven't like one episode this whole season.
  9. Jan 4, 2014
    Only two episodes in and it is already the best season since season one. The writing is top notch again and marks a great return to form for the show.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    Yaaaaaas Community is back in Bussiness goddamnit! freaking hate this and the 150 characters jesus christ. i don't know what to write jhjhhjjahjhjhjhafhj
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    Interessante, tem um bom roteiro, ótimos personagens porém não me deixou muito apaixonado por sua trama mesmo assim consegue se sobressair de maneira regular.
  12. Apr 12, 2014
    This show ranks right up there with Seinfeld in my book as one of the funniest and most imaginative sitcoms of all time even without Chevy Chase. Kudos to NBC for being smart enough to bring back the show's creator.
  13. Apr 21, 2014
    I'm very glad that Dan Harmon is back. The 4th season was a little disappointing. This time around, it feels that Community is back, in the true sense of the word.

Unfortunately, some things prevent it from being truly back; like Chevy Chase and Donald Glover leaving the show. That really left a hole in the show. You can feel something missing when you watch Danny Pudi. It's just not the same.

On the other hand, the show does retain its cleverness and subtlety, despite not always being funny. Dan Harmon has demonstrated that he can produce great episodes, even with all the changes in the cast and story progression (they did graduate last season, after all).

I also enjoyed the new character played by Jonathan Banks, and bigger role John Oliver (Ian Duncan) is playing.

I would have given this season a 7 or an 8 at most, but I believe that it deserves a 9, for the monumental 4th episode. The episode where Troy announces his leaving. It's the funniest Community episode ever. I don't think i laughed so hard as i did watching this, despite that it's not the smartest of this season. Episode 8 (App Development and Condiments), for example, had a more interesting concept behind it.
  14. Mar 19, 2015
    With Dan Harmon thankfully back in charge season five does a great job of covering over last season’s mistakes telling the kind of imaginative (and of course funny) stories we previously came to expect from the show and, while it never quite hits the consistent heights of the first two seasons it isn't far off.
  15. May 12, 2014
    This is a tribute to the fallen star that is this show. This season of Community was always going a tough act but to see it cancelled like this is actually pretty upsetting. They were already behind the 8-ball going into this season. Chevy Chase and Donald Glover were both on the way out, leaving behind a huge gap for the rest of the group to fill. While they did an admirable job, thereThis is a tribute to the fallen star that is this show. This season of Community was always going a tough act but to see it cancelled like this is actually pretty upsetting. They were already behind the 8-ball going into this season. Chevy Chase and Donald Glover were both on the way out, leaving behind a huge gap for the rest of the group to fill. While they did an admirable job, there was always something missing in the last half of the season, mostly with the loss of Troy Barnes. The rest of the episodes just didn't have the same impact that they could have with him there and that was where they lost alot of people. This is a show that has alot of talented people on it but they just couldn't recover from everything that had happened off the stage. I recommend this season whole-heartedly, to anyone who might enjoy a comedy show of this nature. But I would recommend Season 2 and 3 far more than this one, as that was when the series was at the top of its game, and when it was probably the funniest show on T.V. Expand
  16. Apr 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the lukewarm 4th Season, Community returns to its former awesome self. It's not quite as good as the legendary Season 2, but Dan Harmon's return did nothing but improve the show from its off-Season last year.

This return to form is evident early on. Only three episodes in and we were already treated to one of Community's best outings yet. "Basic Intergluteal Numismatics" saw the writers parody dark and moody serial killer fiction. The @ss crack bandit seems like an immature and juvenile joke but the writers, staff, and actors all bring this episode to life. There's lots of great lines to be found in this episode, and it is also beautifully capped off with a hilarious song and all the characters playing around with quarters (poking fun at the movies that contain a super twist where there's a "it was him/her all along!" moment at the end).

Before this however, "Repilot" had to successfully remind the fans that Harmon was back. And boy, did it accomplish this goal. It was a bit overstuffed, since Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) had to find his way back to Greendale. Really, in this episode, we saw what seems to be a re-energization of the cast.

Which is why it's too bad that Troy Barnes (Donald Glover) had to leave. Troy's departure was handled right in "Geothermal Escapism". Not only was it emotionally effective but it was also a pretty damn funny outing. Although, I have to say, the episode was a tad too familiar. We've seen wacky games that the school buys into a few too many times. The familiarity is, of course, used to help Abed Nadir (Danny Pudi) and the audience let go (but not forget entirely) Troy. It's still a bit frustrating, though I can swallow this complaint considering how well done it was.

Oh, and who could forget "Introduction to Teaching"? Abed's Nicolas Cage craziness was simply brilliant. We also saw Breaking Bad's Jonathan Banks come into play as Professor Hickey at this point. He seems to fit in well with the rest, and he is definitely not a Pierce clone.

Pierce was purposefully the least likeable character but the show gives him a great send-off. Walton Goggins (Boyd in Justified) does another bang-up job at playing his attorney who handled his will. For a show as eccentric as Community, it's refreshing to see some dry humour, and Goggins delivered his lines excellently.

"VCR Maintenance and Educational Publishing" was another stand-out after the show flat-lined for a few episodes. Vince Gilligan's "Pile of Bullets" was fantastically nonsensical. We see Abed and Annie Edison (Alison Brie) deal with their emotional insecurities post-Troy by actually going along with the ridiculousness. Other than that, we get a solidly entertaining sub-plot where Jeff, Hickey, and Shirley Bennett (Yvette Nicole Brown) find a whole bunch of textbooks and treated them like drugs.

The finale was also effective for me. I`d like to thank Subway for allowing the writers to poke fun at them. The best part of the episode would have to be Abed's awesomely meta line: “We’ll definitely be back next year. If not, it’s because an asteroid has destroyed all of human civilization. And that’s canon!“.

Other than these highlights, I can`t say that this is the best Community Season. I can appreciate the social commentary they were going for in “App Development and Condiments“ but the end result wasn't a particularly funny episode. Same goes for “Bondage and Beta Male Sexuality“. With those two episodes aired next to each other, my faith in the Season was a bit shaky, only redeeming itself later. Plus, I was not a huge fan of the “G.I. Jeff“ episode, simply because I never watched G.I. Joe in my life. It was still pretty amusing to see them make fun of the more general cartoon tropes though.

In a bounce-back Season, Community reminds us why we love the series in the first place. What more can I say besides: #SixSeasonsandaMovie?
  17. Feb 4, 2014
    I have seen the first three episodes of Season 5, and I can say, with utmost sincerity, that "Community" has regained the glory and hilarity it had once lost. Season 4 was just "good" and nothing else. The new season is reminiscent of the genius of the first two seasons. Welcome back Dan Harmon, Chris McKenna and John Oliver! Hello, Jonathan Banks!
  18. Feb 19, 2014
    This season isn't even half over, and I already know it's the best. It brings back the legendary Dan Harmon and he comes back in guns blazing. Every episode so far as been hilarious, even the hard hitting emotional departure of Donald Glover was witty and well written. Community hasn't been this perfect off the bat since season 1 and I don't see how it can go wrong from here. I hope theThis season isn't even half over, and I already know it's the best. It brings back the legendary Dan Harmon and he comes back in guns blazing. Every episode so far as been hilarious, even the hard hitting emotional departure of Donald Glover was witty and well written. Community hasn't been this perfect off the bat since season 1 and I don't see how it can go wrong from here. I hope the rest of the season holds up as so far the best season of Community. Expand
  19. Oct 27, 2016
    Community returns to form with the return of Dan Harmon. Though the absence of certain characters does take away from the original magic, this season manages to make its own, newer magic.
  20. Jan 4, 2014
    For those of you returning to Community... Welcome Home! No only does the show feel familiar, it feel fresh and new as well. One of the best shows on TV, especially if you have a little nerd in you.
    For those of you new to Community... Welcome Home. While I encourage you to watch the first three seasons before watching season 5, you'll do fine without it.
    I thought season 4 was good
    I thought season 4 was good and many of its 'holes' are answered in the first two episodes of season 5.
  21. Jan 10, 2014
    Community is back and I am excited as hell. The first few episodes have been extremely good so far and I now things will get even better. The pilot wasn't a consistent laugh out loud but if you put into consideration how much Dan Harmon and the team had to do and fix, it doesn't even matter because it's still so enjoyable. A lot of the people who haven't liked it so far probably don't getCommunity is back and I am excited as hell. The first few episodes have been extremely good so far and I now things will get even better. The pilot wasn't a consistent laugh out loud but if you put into consideration how much Dan Harmon and the team had to do and fix, it doesn't even matter because it's still so enjoyable. A lot of the people who haven't liked it so far probably don't get the references and homages and don't appreciate how good these episodes really are. Amazing season so far. Expand
  22. May 9, 2014
    Community comes back strong with the 5th installment to the series with an uproar with the coming of Dan Harmon's return the concept episodes have taken flight to better episodes with repilot and geothermal escapism which said goodbye to Donald Glover. Even without him the show continues to flow with its cast and direction.
  23. Feb 16, 2014
    Community Season 5 is back to it's roots with it's Creator/Writer Dan Harmon returning to the show, but there were two other important cast members who were leaving the show first one being Pierce(Chevy Chase) and the second being Troy(Donald Glover) both who play important roles in the show, with saying that the show has gained the momentum back which made this such a great show, withCommunity Season 5 is back to it's roots with it's Creator/Writer Dan Harmon returning to the show, but there were two other important cast members who were leaving the show first one being Pierce(Chevy Chase) and the second being Troy(Donald Glover) both who play important roles in the show, with saying that the show has gained the momentum back which made this such a great show, with alot of cameos, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season i just wish it had more than 13 episodes. Expand
  24. Feb 28, 2014
    Community : Season 5, i love this season this is no secret.better than ever they introduced the great Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) to the cast! The writing is top class as ever before and marks a great return to form for the show so far. but damn i bet lie this is the 1 of the best show that i wanted so far.
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Abed said that, "repiloting can be intense," it's even more so considering that Donald Glover (who plays Troy) and Chevy Chase (who played Pierce) both left the show. It's going to change the show dynamic, but it has yet to be seen if it will be for better or for worse.

Season 5 has been great so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes next.
  26. Mar 16, 2014
    Having myself boycotted Community due to the change in creative leadership, I'm happy to be back on board now that the original creator is back. The season starts with the departure of Troy and the introduction of a new recurring professor character played by Johnathan (Mike from Breaking Bad) Banks. The writing is intriguing as one would expect, and the rest of the cast soldier on,Having myself boycotted Community due to the change in creative leadership, I'm happy to be back on board now that the original creator is back. The season starts with the departure of Troy and the introduction of a new recurring professor character played by Johnathan (Mike from Breaking Bad) Banks. The writing is intriguing as one would expect, and the rest of the cast soldier on, digging themselves deeper and deeper into the realm of absurdity.

The characters are pretty well established at this point, and the show reboots a bit to contrive them still being involved at a community college after four years. But what the heck; the jokes are clever, the pop culture references are varied, and the cast is, even minus now two original members (Troy and Pierce), still outstanding. If you jumped off like me, it's time to jump back on.
  27. Mar 2, 2014
    Harmon is pushing his own limits of creativity to the next level - which is good for hardcore fans but to be honest as Community is getting more creative it is losing its funny&cute aspect. I feel like I have to watch some episodes from this season twice to enjoy them and the show does not make me laugh as before. It is like the reverse transition of the Big Bang Theory; it started offHarmon is pushing his own limits of creativity to the next level - which is good for hardcore fans but to be honest as Community is getting more creative it is losing its funny&cute aspect. I feel like I have to watch some episodes from this season twice to enjoy them and the show does not make me laugh as before. It is like the reverse transition of the Big Bang Theory; it started off ponderous&creative and then turned into a standard sitcom. Community on the other hand is making its audience more specific gradually by targeting intellects. I do think that season 5 so far is the worst of all Harmon seasons in terms of enjoyment but I am glad that Community is back. The show had to deal with the absence of important cast members and not so great writing of the season 4 - under these conditions any other series would crumble but thinking of the stuff Community went through, it deserves nothing less than a full score. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Fallon
    Jan 10, 2014
    The bittersweet hilarity of all of this is where “Repilot” succeeds. Longtime fans of the series will delight in how it is just so Community. Newcomers there to watch a “pilot” of sorts of a series just won’t get it.
  2. Reviewed by: Laurel Brown
    Jan 2, 2014
    Fun jokes, strange setups and surprisingly touching moments are all present as Community dances its fine edge between silliness and the abyss of the insane.
  3. Reviewed by: Sarah Rodman
    Jan 2, 2014
    The first few episodes available for review feature several moments--callbacks, sight gags, and just plain funny jokes--that will likely feel like rewards to longtime viewers. But Community has also always been plagued by low ratings, and that is unlikely to change now given that some of those rewards probably won’t resonate with newcomers giving the show a try at the urging of those already on board.