Community : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.8

1. RobW
    Sep 18, 2009
    I watched the entire show and never laughed once and I tend to laugh at everything. There is humor here but it is diluted by the premise that Community colleges are for losers that can't for whatever reason go to a regular university. This is a disservice to many people for whom community colleges are a more affordable way to higher education.
  2. BrandonS
    Sep 18, 2009
    Love The Soup, love Joel McHale. I was looking forward to this show a lot - and it took about five minutes for my wife and me to turn this off. Supremely unfunny, it was disastrously bad.
  3. RichardS.
    Sep 23, 2009
    I am about as tolerant a person as there is, plus I love off-beat comedy. Just hearing that Chevy Chase is in a cast starts me laughing. But, not only did this show lack anything funny, was contrived, and seemed poorly written, but, it was the most offensive show I have ever seen on television. Shame on NBC!
  4. KF.
    Sep 26, 2009
    The premise is decent and the cast has promise but the chemistry and timing are so off it's hard to stay focused for very long. Joel McHale's character needs to be unleashed for this sitcom to realize it's true comic potential.
  5. JohnP.
    Sep 23, 2009
    I love Joel McHale but this show is absolutely horrible. Not funny, bad writing.
  6. BillR.
    Sep 18, 2009
    Absolutely the worst comedy on TV. Young critics like Community and dislike Leno. What does that say for today's humor?
  7. Aug 22, 2011
    It's like watching an inside joke that they never let you in on. Are these people supposed to be funny or likable or even interesting? Listening to people rave about this show is like when the kid in high school tells you how great the school newspaper is. Dull writing, unfunny cast.
  8. BryceH
    Sep 27, 2009
    I saw the second episode and this has to be one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I feel sorry for Chevy Chase for being a part of something so pathetic. It's a show worthy of being lampooned on the Soup, which the usually hilarious Joel McHale should focus.
  9. Jan 23, 2012
    You either love or hate show, and I can't stand it. In my opinion, this show caters to people with a schizoid-type personality: socially awkward, eccentric, snarky, emotionally flat, critical, pretentious, quiet, and very neurotic. Just my two cents.
  10. NanA.
    Sep 25, 2009
    Dull, stupid, and pointless. I've laughed more watching my cat play with yarn. I mean really, the thing with the Spanish teacher was incredibly innane.
  11. AsadM.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Trying to do way too much in any single episode. It is not as subtle as the Office and not nearly as quick witted as 30 Rock. It will probably be canceled soon.
  12. CharlesS
    Oct 12, 2009
    McHale is the only thing good abou the show. The writing is so stupid. Flushed after 2 1/2 episodes.
  13. Oct 3, 2011
    OK, well the first season I thought I liked the show, had some interesting twists. But as the second season came along, and now this one...it's just getting weirder and weirder. I just don't enjoy the show any more.
  14. AF
    Oct 1, 2009
    Its not funny. The story makes no sense; I am not sure how they have come to look to McHale's character for for guidance. Maybe thats the joke but I just don't get it. The characters have no chemistry.
  15. Mar 5, 2011
    Community, created in 2009 as an addition to NBC's Thursday comedy night, is a completely unnecessary addition to new TV programing. First off, the concept of the show is incredibly boring. While trying to follow increasingly popular "workplace comedy" mold, the creators of the show stumbled upon the idea of a community college, where everyone is a total loser. This could be seen asCommunity, created in 2009 as an addition to NBC's Thursday comedy night, is a completely unnecessary addition to new TV programing. First off, the concept of the show is incredibly boring. While trying to follow increasingly popular "workplace comedy" mold, the creators of the show stumbled upon the idea of a community college, where everyone is a total loser. This could be seen as "fresh" or "creative," but really it just feels sloppy.

In addition to the premise of the show being dull, the individual episodes are daft and unappealing. Each episode follows the exact same plot line as the previous one; the characters will find their way into an (at first seemingly appealing) problem, which is then overplayed throughout the episode, and finally concluded when Joel McHale makes a shrewd yet meaningless speech about the rest of the character's problems.

Unfortunately, the main issue with the show is neither the concept or the episode's plot lines. It is simply the characters. Each cast member and the character they portray is unlikable in their own individual way. The writers of the show obviously thought it would be clever to form a group of losers lead by one incredibly egocentric individual. Unfortunately, Joel McHale's character (Jeff Winger) is not charming, or even somewhat intelligent and, instead, comes off as snide and narcissistic. The rest of the cast is even less enjoyable; Gillian Jacobs (Britta Perry) is much too irritable, Alison Brie (Annie Edison) is astonishingly annoying to listen to, Danny Pudi (Abed Nadir) is painstakingly overplayed, Donald Glover (Troy Barnes) has almost no personality whatsoever, Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley Bennett) has a humor that gets old very quickly, and Chevy Chase (Pierce Hawthorne) is utterly unnecessary and was clearly only put on the show for his name in the credits. As a group, the ensemble of characters make up a very unlikable cast.

In conclusion, the fans of Community are mistaking the show's flaws for it being "off the wall." Actually, the show is really just made up of a group of unfunny writers who think that they're much smarter than they actually are and a mismatched cast that can't get enough of themselves. Community attempts to copy 30 Rock's absurd hit-or-miss concept, but unfortunately it's hits are much outweighed by it's misses.
  16. aev
    Jan 30, 2013
    This show is sooo boring. The actors are not funny at all. I love comedies but this show just really bored me to tears. Plus Joel McHale has gotten so arrogant since he was on The Soup.

1. If creator/writer Dan Harmon earns only a "C" for the framework of his show, he gets higher grades for its brisk pace and clever writing. And some extra credit is in order for casting, as well.
  2. As long as the jokes stay barbed, fast and witty--as they are in the pilot--there's more than enough reason to keep following the band of misfits.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Community embraces the traditional sitcom notion of “family” being what you make of it, but it’s a little too self-conscious about the genre’s cliches--or at least, feels that way because its satirical elements aren’t as crisp as they need to be.