Community : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.8

1. Sep 15, 2011
    A solid start to a show that gets SO much better. "Community" does a fine job of establishing characters here, they're just not quite so fluid on the execution.
  2. EliasC
    Oct 20, 2009
    I liked the pilot but after watching a few more episodes, including the ridiculous laugh-free episode #3, I see this show as rudderless and going nowhere. The writer's seem not to know that the genius in comedy is to make humor out of ordinary situations, not to make situations and characters unrealistically over-the-top and totally unbelievable. 'Community' is now off my I liked the pilot but after watching a few more episodes, including the ridiculous laugh-free episode #3, I see this show as rudderless and going nowhere. The writer's seem not to know that the genius in comedy is to make humor out of ordinary situations, not to make situations and characters unrealistically over-the-top and totally unbelievable. 'Community' is now off my 'must watch' list. Perhaps it will improve mid-season. I will wait and see. Joel McHale deserves better. Expand
  3. Oct 21, 2012
    this show gets a lot of undue attention on the internet, where fans seem to paint it as the Breaking Bad of comedy in terms of quality of writing and acting. this is not the case. this is the same mediocre comedy that's been on television for decades, only they've left out the laugh track. is the cast great? yes. but the writing and direction is also mediocre and occasionallythis show gets a lot of undue attention on the internet, where fans seem to paint it as the Breaking Bad of comedy in terms of quality of writing and acting. this is not the case. this is the same mediocre comedy that's been on television for decades, only they've left out the laugh track. is the cast great? yes. but the writing and direction is also mediocre and occasionally embarrassingly awful. this show doesn't hit the highs of the greatest television sitcoms, like the first few seasons of the American Office or Arrested Development. not even close. the fact that it (and the similarly mediocre/redundant/derivative Parks & Recreation) has been attributed so much hype only shows how stale network sitcoms have become. Expand

1. If creator/writer Dan Harmon earns only a "C" for the framework of his show, he gets higher grades for its brisk pace and clever writing. And some extra credit is in order for casting, as well.
  2. As long as the jokes stay barbed, fast and witty--as they are in the pilot--there's more than enough reason to keep following the band of misfits.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Community embraces the traditional sitcom notion of “family” being what you make of it, but it’s a little too self-conscious about the genre’s cliches--or at least, feels that way because its satirical elements aren’t as crisp as they need to be.