• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.7

1. Jan 11, 2012
    Go Greendale! The best comedy show on air. Each episode is a surprise, and humor is bright and quick. The characters have extreme personalities, but this is fun!
    Each week waiting for the new episode, and now I hope that NBC continues it! Please!
  2. Sep 6, 2010
    This is my favorite comedy show since arrested development. Full of references and parodies. Hilarious and superb writing. The paintball episode may be the best in television history.
  3. Nov 19, 2010
    Never before in my young life have a seen a show funnier than Community. An enormously funny cast. Danny Pudi's performance is amazing. Why this show wasn't nominated for any Emmy's is beyond me. This show is streets ahead!
  4. Sep 5, 2010
    As an avid tv buff I'd place this somewhere in the realm of Friends, Scrubs and Arrested Development in different ways. Likable Characters, Witty banter, Good Spoofing of pop culture, and overall a win in my book. With my expierience in seeing great shows that gather a cult following only after having been canceled ( Dead Like Me, Pushing Up Daisies, Better Off Ted ) , I hope that the execs read these user reviews on Metacritic and see that this is what we want to see. Expand
  5. Oct 17, 2010
    Its consistency was almost enough to stop watching it, but the series really found itself over the course of the season and provided a couple of perfect parody episodes ("Modern Warfare," "Contemporary American Poultry"). Joel McHale is pitch-perfect and the entire ensemble is great.
  6. Apr 12, 2011
    The absolutely best show on television right now. The first season starts off a little slow as it takes a few episodes for the cast to really find their legs. After the first four or five episodes though it really starts to click on all cylinders and is one of the funniest, most surprisingly touching shows around. The DVD's really hold up to repeated viewings as well. (and it only seems to be getting better as the second season has been just as good as the first)

The whole cast is amazing but I would like to give a special recognition to Donald Glover as Troy. Dude is hilarious. Also Alison Brie, I love you! Please marry me! :-P

Highlight episodes of the first season include: Modern Warfare, American Poultry

(for the second season I highly recommend the Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas; there are a bunch of others too but that one is really good)
  7. Sep 7, 2010
    One of the funniest shows on TV right now along with The Big Bang Theory. Danny Pudi (Abed) should be considered a top contender for an Emmy next year. One of the best ensemble casts since Friends in my opinion. You can never go wrong with Chevy Chase. Side note: Alison Brie...Wow...I want to kiss her face.
  8. Oct 8, 2010
    This smart, upbeat show, takes us on a great sitcom adventure. Not a dull moment in the show! One of the best comidies since "The Big Bang Theory". The show is witty and creative and should be nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy. The acting is superb and amazing. This is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen and I hope you guys get a chance to watch it.
  9. Aug 22, 2011
    It's like watching an inside joke that they never let you in on. Are these people supposed to be funny or likable or even interesting? Listening to people rave about this show is like when the kid in high school tells you how great the school newspaper is. Dull writing, unfunny cast.
  10. Apr 23, 2011
    This is my favorite TV show. the role of Chevy Chase as Peirce Hawthorne perfectly fits him. I love the community. The characters might be middle aged or in their 20's but they sure know a lot about comedy. :))
  11. Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly the best comedy on TV right now. Funny, insightful and often thought provoking, Community works on many emotional levels. I look forward to it every week and hope that people give it the chance it deserves. In a world full of people who think The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are the epitome of comedy, we need more shows like Community willing to push the boundaries and try something new. Expand
  12. Jan 19, 2012
    I'll admit the pilot and start of Season 1 may seem very forced but Iove how this show develops! It's one that once I started watching I'd say "one more episode..." to myself. Definitely up there with Arrested Development and Clone High on the humour stakes.
  13. Feb 17, 2012
    There are a few shows that push the boundaries and move into something of a creative realm. This is one of those shows; with constant nods to movies, and othe pop culture it is a show made for and appreciated well. There are episodes that stand out like the Paintball episodes, Abeds claymation episode, and others. Written well and acted well.
  14. Sep 8, 2010
    The first new comedy I've been excited by since, well, since I don't know when -- years. Utterly original. Equal parts wry self-awareness and spit-your-food-out hilarity. And lest I neglect to mention Donald Glover...
  15. Jan 1, 2011
    Holy crap NBC made something I actually like. The cast is superb, love Ken Jong, Chevy Chase, John Oliver, Joel McHale is classic. Watching Pierce (Chevy) fall down and knock stuff over is still funny. Love Abed and Troy. Just a fun show. Lots of references and spoofs. HEH!
  16. Nov 19, 2010
    This is the best show on tv, right up there with the office. I seems that people that don't like this show are either old or have a horrible sense of humour.
  17. Mar 28, 2011
    It took me a while to find Community; I had stumbled by chance on the paintball episode and enjoyed it immensely, but it was really only after a friend insisted I watch the whole series did I give it my full attention. It does start quite slowly, and while the initial episodes are still good, the humour is not completely there and the characters are quite different. But once it found it's feet, it became compulsive viewing, to the point where I became a little obsessed. Obviously, the paintball episode is a standout for so many reasons, but some of my favourite episodes are just character-based. Britta and Jeff getting involved in Annie's love life, the 'new Pierce,' Baggels... And then there is anything involving Troy and Abed: KickPuncher, the Spanish Rap, Troy and Abed in the Morning, Batman... By the end of the season there was just so much to love about this show. It's jam-packed FULL of pop cultures references, consistently clever writing and a raft of interesting, three-dimensional, relatable characters. Brilliant. Expand
  18. Mar 5, 2011
    Community, created in 2009 as an addition to NBC's Thursday comedy night, is a completely unnecessary addition to new TV programing. First off, the concept of the show is incredibly boring. While trying to follow increasingly popular "workplace comedy" mold, the creators of the show stumbled upon the idea of a community college, where everyone is a total loser. This could be seen as "fresh" or "creative," but really it just feels sloppy.

In addition to the premise of the show being dull, the individual episodes are daft and unappealing. Each episode follows the exact same plot line as the previous one; the characters will find their way into an (at first seemingly appealing) problem, which is then overplayed throughout the episode, and finally concluded when Joel McHale makes a shrewd yet meaningless speech about the rest of the character's problems.

Unfortunately, the main issue with the show is neither the concept or the episode's plot lines. It is simply the characters. Each cast member and the character they portray is unlikable in their own individual way. The writers of the show obviously thought it would be clever to form a group of losers lead by one incredibly egocentric individual. Unfortunately, Joel McHale's character (Jeff Winger) is not charming, or even somewhat intelligent and, instead, comes off as snide and narcissistic. The rest of the cast is even less enjoyable; Gillian Jacobs (Britta Perry) is much too irritable, Alison Brie (Annie Edison) is astonishingly annoying to listen to, Danny Pudi (Abed Nadir) is painstakingly overplayed, Donald Glover (Troy Barnes) has almost no personality whatsoever, Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley Bennett) has a humor that gets old very quickly, and Chevy Chase (Pierce Hawthorne) is utterly unnecessary and was clearly only put on the show for his name in the credits. As a group, the ensemble of characters make up a very unlikable cast.

In conclusion, the fans of Community are mistaking the show's flaws for it being "off the wall." Actually, the show is really just made up of a group of unfunny writers who think that they're much smarter than they actually are and a mismatched cast that can't get enough of themselves. Community attempts to copy 30 Rock's absurd hit-or-miss concept, but unfortunately it's hits are much outweighed by it's misses.
  19. Mar 11, 2011
    Love this show. One of my favorites. Hilarious with such an awesome cast. They have such good chemistry and Joel McHale is always hilarious. The characters are all so likable and fun. I always tune in on Thursday!
  20. Jun 16, 2011
    This has been my new favorite NBC comedy since The Office got cancelled after only TWO seasons! (I know it wasn't cancelled but I like to pretend that everything after season 2 never happened). For movie/tv/music/pop culture/ comic book nerds or fanboy/girls this show is for you. it has something for everyone. troy and abed in the morning!
  21. Feb 13, 2012
    This is the funniest show on television right now. If you are new to the show don't start with the pilot, I really get the feeling that because the pilot sucked they thought it would be scrapped so told the writers to do whatever until they got the axe. After the first run of episodes the show finds its stride so I would really recommend watching this show in case its cancelled for good.
  22. May 26, 2011
    This show just keeps getting better. Possibly the best show on TV, I love those paintball episodes. actually it is the best show on TV with fantastic acting end amazing writing, I have a feeling season three will be even better.
  23. Jun 8, 2011
    This show is awesome. I spent days watching episode after episode. Its Originality and humour is what makes the show so entertaining. Every episode has a different message it comes across, relating to either friendship values, or general moral ethics. The characters are all part of a study group that is runned by Jeff Winger. Its funny how the group depend on him to do just about everything, whether it is to talk about someone's issues or whether its to calm an individual down or even whether its to start a conversation. He acts as a father figure in the group but he does so in such a snobbish way. His litigant past makes him a very experienced public speaker and has a very sophisticated way of interpreting his ideas. In the last few episodes he has started to be way to presumptuous and his arrogance is starting to be a little irritating. All the other characters fit the group like a glove. I love Abed's inexpressive and fantasy driven character. his friendship with Troy, another unique character, is what makes the show. One character that I gradually started to be indiferent about , despite the fact that he is Hilariously crude, is Peirce. He is SOOO funny but sometimes crosses the line. Another character that I am uneasy about is the Dean. He is soo gay that it pisses me off. Get him off the show. the little end clips are epic.
    cant wait for the next season.
  24. Jun 23, 2011
    Great characters, well-written witticisms... The show delivers, though perhaps not quite as boldly as NBC's other Thursday night comedies. Still perfectly enjoyable week after week.
  25. Jun 29, 2011
    In the time where the dominant sitcom on television world-wide are re-runs of a show which stars a drug fuelled womanizer whose famous for living with his â
  26. Sep 15, 2011
    A solid start to a show that gets SO much better. "Community" does a fine job of establishing characters here, they're just not quite so fluid on the execution.
  27. Sep 26, 2011
    Currently my favourite show on TV. From their parodies to the lovable characters, this show excels on all levels. Dan Harmon is a genius.

Very meta... Very good.
  28. Oct 3, 2011
    OK, well the first season I thought I liked the show, had some interesting twists. But as the second season came along, and now this one...it's just getting weirder and weirder. I just don't enjoy the show any more.
  29. Oct 13, 2011
    One of the best comedies I have watched in a long time, so much scope for development for the characters within the main cast, and outside too. I cant see anyone being disappointed in this. First class. Modern Warfare is possibly the funniest episode of anything I've ever watched!
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    Growing every episode, worst being the pilot. Fresh, imaginative and funny, it's one of these shows you wish never end. Great characters, I like them to be that fantastic (in a fantasy way), but if you look deeper, you may find them astonishing real.

1. If creator/writer Dan Harmon earns only a "C" for the framework of his show, he gets higher grades for its brisk pace and clever writing. And some extra credit is in order for casting, as well.
  2. As long as the jokes stay barbed, fast and witty--as they are in the pilot--there's more than enough reason to keep following the band of misfits.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Community embraces the traditional sitcom notion of “family” being what you make of it, but it’s a little too self-conscious about the genre’s cliches--or at least, feels that way because its satirical elements aren’t as crisp as they need to be.