Continuum (2012) : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.1

1. Sep 9, 2015
    So far this show has been entertaining. It's main strength is that its protagonist if very sympathetic. She's not just a walking talking machine the way characters are in a lot of cop shows, sci-fi or otherwise. You can see her sense of loss having been ripped from her own time, her family. On the other hand the main weakness of this show is that the people from 65 years in the futureSo far this show has been entertaining. It's main strength is that its protagonist if very sympathetic. She's not just a walking talking machine the way characters are in a lot of cop shows, sci-fi or otherwise. You can see her sense of loss having been ripped from her own time, her family. On the other hand the main weakness of this show is that the people from 65 years in the future speak exactly as we do, understand all of our slang and even use it themselves quite naturally and instinctively; they even have no qualms about receiving 2012 medical attention. Would you want medical care from 1950? Wouldn't you express some concern?

A person from 2074 would not understand some of what we say. They would use certain words we don't even have yet and they would use certain existing words in ways we don't use them. They would utter expressions that haven't even been made up yet. There would be a communication problem, not major but noticeable as Americans do when speaking with someone from England or Australia. A cop from 2074 would not pick up and use a pistol from 2012 with the familiarity of a cop of today. In short, there would be a lot more gaps of familiarity and understanding, which would present plentiful opportunity for use in this show. But almost all of that is ignored, which is a shame.

People say the 'politics' of the show are reprehensible. But isn't it important to show how a good person can get sucked into a bad system and fight for it? Because isn't that the risk we face? Rather than portray the good guys as rebels (like Star Wars) so we can all pretend that's who WE would be in a similar situation, the brave rebels, when in truth most of us would be empire sucking cowards? That's what this show is saying. It's saying, "See how easy it is to be a bad guy and think you're a good guy? This can happen to you!" Important message in my book. I believe as seasons progress they will do a twist and readjust the protagonist's view of things, but not right away because at that point the series will be entering into it's home stretch.
  2. Jun 18, 2015
    Continuum; the great but less innovative sci-fi show.

Continuum; the great but less innovative sci-fi show.

Lets start with the plot, which isn't that unique or refreshing. But it is entertaining, and I like it. Some episodes are less entertaining though, were nothing interesting do happen. The amount of action varies greatly throughout the show, sometimes it's fun and sometimes its a bit boring. The story can be a bit boring too, but from a bigger perspective does it really deliver; with its great characters and (sometimes) epic plot. The action is great and I enjoy the soundtrack. But the title sequence is a bit lame, but stil okay from my point of view. The cinematography of Continuum is sometimes annoying, with its shaky angles. The CGI can also be vague at some places throughout the series, but it's stil a great show with epic sci-fi and I really want to see more.

I do recommend Continuum, especially because its great characters and solid (but sometimes lame) plot.
    But the chemistry is great and the show is really worth checking out!
    By overall rating for each episode is 7.5.

7/10.
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    The story line is good so far and has some good actors in it as well as a beautiful main character. It's neat to see some of the stuff from the future(not saying it's going to happen), but it's definitely interesting to watch. This is one TV show that has stayed interesting so far through every season. I will tell you that sometimes in the show when they show flashbacks or just the actingThe story line is good so far and has some good actors in it as well as a beautiful main character. It's neat to see some of the stuff from the future(not saying it's going to happen), but it's definitely interesting to watch. This is one TV show that has stayed interesting so far through every season. I will tell you that sometimes in the show when they show flashbacks or just the acting itself gets emotional as you feel like you're there watching it unfold. You should definitely take the time to watch this series as it's a very good one, especially since they seem to have a lack of interesting shows on at the moment. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2014
    kudos, canadians

Season 1 introduced a police show without the usually gross tedium.

Time travel without Timey Whimey (tm) but alternative Scientifical explanations was a most welcome change.
  5. Jan 20, 2014
    When I first started watching this, it looked so original. Continuum is a true sci-fi show. The acting is good. Continuum is set in 2012. An organization, called Liber8, seeks to eradicate innocent people. It involves good versus evil. There are realistic elements.
  6. Oct 15, 2013
    I have never in my live been more excited to watch a show. I only watch 1-2 episodes a day each day im more excited to watch the next episode. I love the storyline its science fiction/time travel/cop show all rolled into one. Quite possible be the best show I have ever seen. I would recommend it to all, it will make you laugh, it will make you cry. Its hard to say who is the bad guys andI have never in my live been more excited to watch a show. I only watch 1-2 episodes a day each day im more excited to watch the next episode. I love the storyline its science fiction/time travel/cop show all rolled into one. Quite possible be the best show I have ever seen. I would recommend it to all, it will make you laugh, it will make you cry. Its hard to say who is the bad guys and who the good guys are. Its up to you to decide which side you think is right. You can find it on Netflix and its worth it to give it a try! Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2013
    Has a few sci-fi tropes but extremely engaging and very entertaining. Definitely worth a watch, if you're a sci-fi fan looking to fill the gap between shows.
  8. Jun 20, 2013
    While some of the complaints about acting and "one-dimensional" storytelling may have been valid after one or two episodes, after watching the first season on Netflix I have come to appreciate the multifaceted characters and deep story. Can't wait for the story to unfold! It is definitely NOT a fail. The characters really developed in the first season and the production value is high,While some of the complaints about acting and "one-dimensional" storytelling may have been valid after one or two episodes, after watching the first season on Netflix I have come to appreciate the multifaceted characters and deep story. Can't wait for the story to unfold! It is definitely NOT a fail. The characters really developed in the first season and the production value is high, plus the story is like a rabbit hole that continues to get deeper. I will continue with Continuum. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do like the show but there is one major problem with it. The show seems to have violated the Information Paradox. One example is Julian's tattoo. He sees it on Kagame's arm but later we learn that Kagame got the idea for the tattoo from an elderly Julian he meets in jail, in the future. So, where did the idea of the tattoo come from? Nowhere. Expand
  10. May 11, 2013
    Not sure why this show gets so little attention! This is better than any new show action/scify this TV season on US networks. I'm definitely a fan already!
  11. May 7, 2013
    I wasn't sure about this one in the beginning of the series, but the series has developed really well. At times I think the writers or FX guys over-do it a bit. But most of the times it is catchy, well written, well acted and an episode is over before you know it. To me that is a sign of a quality series.
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    Continuum has a fantastic base. Rachel Nichols is a fantastic actress to play the lead and is a solid character. I want to continue to see more character development for sure, but she keeps us completely engaged. I get tripped out sometimes trying to think between the future and the past and how things will ripple through time...so it is definitely enjoyable and worth the watch.
  13. Feb 14, 2013
    I personally am a fan. I also have already watched the whole season on-line(since it is originally a Canadian show). It's my newer Sci-Fi fix especially since Fringe is over! I suggest you at least give it a try.
  14. Jan 22, 2013
    This series is very promising, not the least because it is set in Vancouver. I really like Rachel Nichols. I had this feeling that I had seen her before, and sure enough, it turned out that she was the Orion cadet in Star Trek. She also has a passing resemblance to Jodie Foster, which is a real recommendation for her although I guess that's not relevant. The premise of the show is wellThis series is very promising, not the least because it is set in Vancouver. I really like Rachel Nichols. I had this feeling that I had seen her before, and sure enough, it turned out that she was the Orion cadet in Star Trek. She also has a passing resemblance to Jodie Foster, which is a real recommendation for her although I guess that's not relevant. The premise of the show is well thought-out, and the first two episodes were entertaining, although I'm not sure they were entirely consistent. Good special effects and excellent, mostly Canadian, supporting cast, including the inimitable Smoking Man from X-Files (William B. Davis), and Tony Amendola of Stargate fame. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of Season One, and am glad to learn that the series has already been picked up for a second season. Lots of potential here. Expand
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    The show seems promising with the good casting and good set locations . The actress seems pretty good that is not some teeny bopper emo that is trying to hard. Let's hope SyFy gives it a chance.
  16. Jan 17, 2013
    The lead actress is appealing, and I'm interested in the time travel implications of certain actions. It's not brain-dead TV like so much else we're seeing. Let's go.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Jan 14, 2013
    If Continuum doesn't aim to soar, it executes the basics well.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Jan 14, 2013
    The pilot looks pretty impressive in the future, but after that, it's a fairly standard copshow, other than the bionic-type gizmos Kiera brings to the fight.