8.5

1. Oct 11, 2014
    When I first watched the trailer for Cosmos, I knew I was in for a great treat. Neil DeGrasse Tyson takes us on a fabulous and stunning journey through the wonders of our universe. View in awe a trip from our planet to the end of the observable universe, witness the creation of the universe and its transition through time within just ten minutes using a cosmic calendar, and see theWhen I first watched the trailer for Cosmos, I knew I was in for a great treat. Neil DeGrasse Tyson takes us on a fabulous and stunning journey through the wonders of our universe. View in awe a trip from our planet to the end of the observable universe, witness the creation of the universe and its transition through time within just ten minutes using a cosmic calendar, and see the friendship between Edmond Halley and Sir Issac Newton. What really makes this documentary is the visual effects. Thanks to the technology of today, these effects look very realistic. They allow us to leave our sight limits and envision things beyond our imagination, like the Virgo Supercluster. It also allows to look back in the past, and see how life evolved from bacteria, to the Tiktaalik, all the way to our species. There is also another side of these visual effects, which is the cartoon segment, a very huge contrast from that of the other effects. These effects normally are utilized for talking about scientists or people in the past, like Giordano Bruno or Galileo. I believe it works well because since we are used to cartoons, we do not expect the pictures to be stunning and perhaps people would start to get annoyed if it was just all realistic effects throughout the program. The choice to use cartoons for this portion instead of using actors is much better, because using actors would make it more corny and humorous. Neil DeGrasse Tyson was the perfect choice for this, after all he is an astrophysicist. Tyson makes everything clear and understandable to the viewer and the camera position on Tyson makes it look like he is talking directly at you, which makes you listen and pay attention. This documentary has taught me things that I have never known, and the topics are really intriguing. If you are curious about our universe, or just perhaps looking for an interesting program, Cosmos is the perfect choice. Believe me, you will not regret it. Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2014
    science? haha no

#fail

Unfortunately this horrifically poor show has ended with cancelation albeit not swiftly enough according to justice. This was a huge time waste with no redeeming value.
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    This show is fantastic! If you are interested in any form of science, you have to watch it. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a brilliant speaker. Breathe taking visuals combined with amazing music equates to one unforgettable experience.
  4. Sep 11, 2014
    Essential viewing for all humankind. If every person on this earth was educated with just this one single user-friendly and informative series we would be living a different, and better existence. I consider myself to be very scientifically literate, but I still learnt a great deal. The grass-roots science is explained clearly and the history of these discoveries was extremely interesting.Essential viewing for all humankind. If every person on this earth was educated with just this one single user-friendly and informative series we would be living a different, and better existence. I consider myself to be very scientifically literate, but I still learnt a great deal. The grass-roots science is explained clearly and the history of these discoveries was extremely interesting. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is an inspiration and an outstanding science orator. I hope it gets translated into every major world language and reverse the trend of growing science illiteracy. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2014
    This show is masterpiece. Picking up where the Sagan original ended, this picture of perfection spreading the mantra of "Science is Truth" is unequaled on the mission of educating the public about the nature, and importance, of science.
  6. Aug 12, 2014
    What an amazing show! The special effects are great! Also teaches you history, and the wrong that religion did and how it slowed the progress of people. Science is the best!
  7. Jul 18, 2014
    This is a fantastic series. It's shows like this that get both kids and adults alike interested in science. The reality of what is out there in the universe is mind-blowing, and thanks to Neil Degrasse-Tyson's brilliant story-telling, and some amazing CGI effects we get to become more acquainted with where we live in terms of space and time. It's humbling to know that we are a very smallThis is a fantastic series. It's shows like this that get both kids and adults alike interested in science. The reality of what is out there in the universe is mind-blowing, and thanks to Neil Degrasse-Tyson's brilliant story-telling, and some amazing CGI effects we get to become more acquainted with where we live in terms of space and time. It's humbling to know that we are a very small dot within this great universe, and it's always good to get a reminder of our insignificance, but on the other hand our greatness and uniqueness too. I've watched the whole season now and I can't wait to see the next. Expand
  8. Jul 1, 2014
    A true service to humanity. Makes me wonder, makes me proud, makes me think.

Evolution, the Big Bang, and global warming are not up for debate. They are theories in the SCIENTIFIC sense not the common linguistic sense, and are accepted as basically fact by well over 99% of all scientists due to the mountains of evidence in their favor.

Thank you for this show. I show it in my classroom.
  9. Jul 1, 2014
    One of the best documents of our lifetime. Tyson tells it as it is. While explaining the wonders of the Cosmos, he also explains the rationale behind the people who deny Science. Overall, very entertaining and educational.
  10. Jun 25, 2014
    Remembering the original Carl Sagan show (I am somewhat long of tooth), I had great expectations for an updating, especially with this host. I am not really disappointed. Maybe a little. I do like the fact that different episodes go into some depth on a different, not always spacey, subject. But, I hate the stupid spaceship bit. CGI is pretty good but overdone. The rather cartoonishRemembering the original Carl Sagan show (I am somewhat long of tooth), I had great expectations for an updating, especially with this host. I am not really disappointed. Maybe a little. I do like the fact that different episodes go into some depth on a different, not always spacey, subject. But, I hate the stupid spaceship bit. CGI is pretty good but overdone. The rather cartoonish animations put the show squarely into the kid's show category. All-in-all, a decent attempt at updating Mr. Sagan that falls noticeably short. Expand
  11. Jun 16, 2014
    The series was an awful sequel to Carl Sagan's historic work. High-talking Tyson delivered a sixth-grade level clunker. Saturday mornings would have been the best times for airing it, along with the other cartoon shows.

Far too much time was spent on the negative effects of religion upon scientific progress. Philosophy, not science, is the word I associate with this series. This

This series was not about the Cosmos. A better title would have been, "History of the Human Race."
  12. Jun 13, 2014
    This just goes to show, how dumb America has become. A show like this considered "educational" simply because its not honey boo boo, something Kardashian or some other dopey reality show! The host's over done facial expressions look like he's on the toilet trying to "push one out" as he talks. They never spend more than 5 Minutes on one subject...let talk about a library, then super novas,This just goes to show, how dumb America has become. A show like this considered "educational" simply because its not honey boo boo, something Kardashian or some other dopey reality show! The host's over done facial expressions look like he's on the toilet trying to "push one out" as he talks. They never spend more than 5 Minutes on one subject...let talk about a library, then super novas, then dark matter, how the world was mapped, the galaxy's gravitational pull, a scientist, an astronomer...etc etc all within the first 20 minutes!! Good god its like watching a flea on crack!

It has some decent SFX at times but that's it, if you want to watch something better get "the Universe" on bluray. Or watch Nova on PBS . This Sugary high , Attention Deficit Disorder, lack of intelligence demographics geared show, is exactly...that! Those with some signs of REAL intellect, best stay away from this Sharknado for the brain "educational" show.
  13. Jun 12, 2014
    I don't understand why people are hating this awesome science show. Yes, it sometimes has cheesy graphics, but what can you do when the general populace of the USA get bored from watching science shows in a decade where graphics pretty much dominate all TV programs?

Neil deGrasse Tyson's job here (as was Carl Sagan's in the original Cosmos) is to inspire people and our new generations about science. Tyson and Sagan main job wasn't to deliver pure scientific knowledge, but to get us interested in it.

Would giving pure science without the colorful graphics entice the viewers and get people to watch the show in America in this time and age? Sadly no. This is the reason that some people on this website don't understand but instead mindlessly bash something so profound. Tyson is trying really hard to get the average person interested in Tyson and yet there are still people who criticize it- some of them being anti-science.

Also, yes Tyson does target religion and superstition. However, he does it so mildly I don't really give it much attention. People really shouldn't be crying over that. Someone here even said "don't waste your time". Really now?

This show, along with the original cosmos, will inspire our next generation to overcome scientific illiteracy and learn more about the universe around us.
  14. Jun 11, 2014
    I waited until the series was over to write a review. Overall, I was extremely impressed by the show.

I'm a PhD physicist, so I knew *most* of the physics and cosmology in the show (although I learned quite a bit about evolution, particularly the mass extinctions). On the other hand, even though I consider myself reasonably well-informed about science history, I learned a lot from the historical context of the episodes - something I really enjoyed. I wasn't crazy about the animation at first, but I got used to it. I still think live action would have been better, but maybe it was a budget thing.

I thought Tyson's style and tone were just right for the show. He's a little more confrontational than Sagan, but these are different times. We're facing a well-organized and well-funding anti-science campaign in this country, and Tyson seems like just the kind of person we need.

A lot of the reviews accuse him of Christian-bashing, because he didn't feel compelled to say things like "The Earth is 4.7 billion years old - or maybe 6000". If that bothers you, then I'm sorry, there really no reason for you to be watching a science show in the first place. In fact, Tyson was vey respectful of religion, and commented several times on the religious convictions of famous scientists. He just didn't waste time on fairy tales.

I knocked it one point because in the end, I can really only justify giving a 10 to the original. Still, an excellent show. Very informative and extremely inspiring.
  15. Jun 8, 2014
    What a great series cosmos was, I have been enjoying watching it every sunday night and I am sad it has finished! Niel deGrasse Tyson was brilliant and is a worthy successor to Carl Sagan! I hope there will be another series as there is still so much to be told about the universe and our Earth. Shows like this are important because they give an interest in science and the history of theWhat a great series cosmos was, I have been enjoying watching it every sunday night and I am sad it has finished! Niel deGrasse Tyson was brilliant and is a worthy successor to Carl Sagan! I hope there will be another series as there is still so much to be told about the universe and our Earth. Shows like this are important because they give an interest in science and the history of the Earth! I find it hard to believe that some people don't like cosmos, they are obviously to stupid to understand it, or they are just idiotic religious fanatics who believe in some non existent god! As for attacking Christianity why not! This ridiculous religion of lies and ignorance has done more damage than anything else and I can never forgive these bastards for destroying most of the ancient knowledge when they burned down the great library in Alexandria and set our science and medicine back 1500 years behind where it should be at the moment! Not to mention the countless other atrocities that they have done over the centuries! I will not be happy until Christianity and Islam is just a memory and their churches and mosques become empty memorials to the age of ignorance for which they stand! Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2014
    its amazingly mind opening no matter how much you know because a new point of view is always refreshing and the subject mater is humbling. This should be the benchmark for all tv shows to follow, all the swamp, storage and parking related shows shouldn’t exist. The reach of television into all the homes no matter rich or poor, is a powerful tool which should be used for the good and notits amazingly mind opening no matter how much you know because a new point of view is always refreshing and the subject mater is humbling. This should be the benchmark for all tv shows to follow, all the swamp, storage and parking related shows shouldn’t exist. The reach of television into all the homes no matter rich or poor, is a powerful tool which should be used for the good and not just to get advertising money. It's a sad fact that there are not many programs like this airing on tv and I hope things change. Expand
  17. Jun 4, 2014
    “The World Set Free”—As the series progresses, Cosmos keeps getting better. Unfortunately, Episode 1 was probably the weakest episode. Cosmos is at its best when it remains in the area for which it was intended, that is, the cosmos itself. Previous episodes have explored not so much the universe as the history of science, with one episode dedicated to Michael Faraday, who invented the“The World Set Free”—As the series progresses, Cosmos keeps getting better. Unfortunately, Episode 1 was probably the weakest episode. Cosmos is at its best when it remains in the area for which it was intended, that is, the cosmos itself. Previous episodes have explored not so much the universe as the history of science, with one episode dedicated to Michael Faraday, who invented the first electric motor and laid the foundation for most of the appliances and devices we use today. Another episode was dedicated to telling the story of Clair Patterson, who understood the dangers of lead poisoning and helped to bring an end to the use of leaded gasoline. The animated graphics that were a bit distracting in Episode 1 have improved and are used less often, the narratives are better, and the intolerance and mild hostility of the atheist agenda have thankfully been dropped from the program.

The best episode so far takes us back into outer space where we belong, and gives us a visit to Venus and a clear explanation for the science behind climate change and global warming. Tyson gives fair footage to the climate deniers as he proceeds to dismiss their favorite theories. No, it's not the volcanoes that are blowing all that CO2 into the atmosphere; they contribute barely 2%. Nor is it the sun, which has remained stable throughout the history of civilization. The climate deniers like to gleefully point out that meteorologists cannot even accurately predict the weather. That's irrelevant, Tyson explains with resigned patience and wisdom. The weather is a short-term prediction with factors that can intercede at the last moment and change the forecast. The climate is the long-term collection of data that shows trends that cannot be discounted or ignored. And if weather data only started being collected in the late 1800's, the history of the planet's climate is to be accurately assessed from geological evidence such as analysis of sediment layers and records of past sea levels, among many other sources of geological data.

Tyson then shows us the history of climate change on Venus. Evidence suggests that Venus should have been Earth's twin planet, somewhat warmer but not the hellish fireball that it has become. Venus may have had an ocean that got boiled away by the early sun and caused what is known as a “runaway greenhouse effect.” Although it was brought about by natural causes, it serves as a stark warning for Earth as we continue to pump billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere with our fossil fuels. Tyson ends the program with hope for new technologies—wind turbines (especially offshore where they take up no space and cause no inconvenience for homeowners) and solar energy, already discovered in the late 1700's with hope for development in Egypt by Frank Shuman in the nineteenth century, but quickly usurped by the availability of cheap coal and oil.

A few flashbacks to the theories of Carl Sagan were better integrated into the program than previously, segments which are obviously dear to the executive producer, Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow.
  18. Jun 1, 2014
    Please...the Cosmos? This should be the Inconvenient "Truth" Part Two. So glad the program covers planet Earth rather than the Cosmos...not. This is political propaganda not science.
  19. May 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As wonderful as Carl Sagan's. Thank you Cosmos for teaching the common people, with beautiful and clear words, about the meaning the universe. This is, without any doubt, the best TV show of the year Expand
  20. May 24, 2014
    Cosmos is one of my favorite shows. I'm so glad that there are still great tv shows out there. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is great and I recommend you watch this show if you haven't already!
  21. May 22, 2014
    I am rating the first episode needing to watch the remainder of the series. It seems some posters have been negative regarding the perception of religion and 'dumb' science but unfortunately many just underline the point being made in at least the first episode; that science and humanity entirely suffers when people stop wanting to wonder and think about things. When we're forced to thinkI am rating the first episode needing to watch the remainder of the series. It seems some posters have been negative regarding the perception of religion and 'dumb' science but unfortunately many just underline the point being made in at least the first episode; that science and humanity entirely suffers when people stop wanting to wonder and think about things. When we're forced to think only a certain way because we're told to, then science and progress stops in an instant. He doesn't chastise religion. He chastises religious organization at that time, several hundred years ago. The Catholic Church was much different in the 1600s than it is today so it is illogical to take offense because it is all true what they did. Everyone should learn from that.

Regarding the show specifically, I felt the audience being aimed at aren't those that watch science documentaries for fun, those attending University majoring in Physics, or those that are fully science literate. The target audience are the percentage of people that watch Fox and other "regular" channels who will never watch a science show in their lives if they continue to exist on "science only" channels. As such, they have to reduce things down to a lower common denominator. So for those that are well versed in science, they may find much of it basic or non-informative.

But the power of Cosmos in the 1980s and the aim of this series is to bring science into the spotlight, to the common folk, so they go to work the next day and their topic of conversation isn't what a Kardashian ate for dinner yesterday but rather "Did you know that all of human existence is only the last hour of the last day of an entire cosmic year?" Those people and children who may be inspired to go into science and in 20 or 30 years from now, help humanity progress even further into the story of understanding and wonder.

As I already knew all of what was presented in episode 1 that didn't remove the excitement I have for this series and the change in attitudes we are finally starting to see when it comes to science around the World. Unfortunately we've had 2 decades straight of most people learning about science not from scientists but by news anchors on 24 hour news channels.

For that I give it a 10.
  22. May 22, 2014
    Very beautiful and informative. Every episode explained as much as it could with about 42 minutes allocated to it. It cleared up some misconceptions I'd been taught as a child. Growing up in a religious household can be very limiting. I love how the show seems to be geared more toward younger audiences, like those in high school who could get a great deal of information and actuallyVery beautiful and informative. Every episode explained as much as it could with about 42 minutes allocated to it. It cleared up some misconceptions I'd been taught as a child. Growing up in a religious household can be very limiting. I love how the show seems to be geared more toward younger audiences, like those in high school who could get a great deal of information and actually understand it. I usually prefer things to be a little less animated, but if it helps people get interested, I'm all for it. Expand
  23. May 21, 2014
    This show is just amazing. The animation for this show is incredible and is out of this world (ha get it). Seriously though the show makes science very interesting. I have always liked science and have been fascinated it and this show will attract those who deep interests in science and those who are newcomers to it. I always make sure that I am in front of the tv watching this everyThis show is just amazing. The animation for this show is incredible and is out of this world (ha get it). Seriously though the show makes science very interesting. I have always liked science and have been fascinated it and this show will attract those who deep interests in science and those who are newcomers to it. I always make sure that I am in front of the tv watching this every Sunday night and hope that they could somehow turn this into a series. Expand
  24. May 8, 2014
    This show is an amazing continue the story set up by Carl. There is a lot of potential here, It is amazing start. Lots of history of how we came to learn about the universe. I am here waiting for the next one, and it is better then the billions and billions of billions and billions of the original.
  25. Apr 29, 2014
    The show aims to please a wide range of audiences, which I think it does. I watch with my 13 and 18 year old daughters and we all enjoy it very much. Each episode inspires a sense of wonder and awe as we're taken through a journey that is partly about science and partly a history lesson. It's really a fantastic way to learn about these topics and quite entertaining. The animations andThe show aims to please a wide range of audiences, which I think it does. I watch with my 13 and 18 year old daughters and we all enjoy it very much. Each episode inspires a sense of wonder and awe as we're taken through a journey that is partly about science and partly a history lesson. It's really a fantastic way to learn about these topics and quite entertaining. The animations and graphics are fine if you take into account the fact that they're not the point, the story and information are. Finally, it's odd how telling the truth about the history of science and presenting facts can be labeled as "anti-religious" and "propaganda" by some. Maybe it's a you problem? For the record, macroevolution is not in question amongst scientists; it's an accepted fact. If you prefer to believe an invisible sky daddy poofed all life into existence ex nihlo, go for it; just don’t pretend it makes any logical sense. Expand
  26. Apr 21, 2014
    Just watched another episode of Cosmos, and have decided enough's enough. I can't see the connection between this rambling biography and the title of the series.
    Request to NatGeo: Please, please, dump this show and bring back the true Cosmos.
  27. Apr 15, 2014
    A thoroughly absorbing show, interesting, stimulating, and endlessly entertaining. I find myself not only re-watching, but also looking forward to the next episode. Neil de Grasse Tyson presents so well. A must for all!
  28. Apr 15, 2014
    As a scientific researcher what I appreciate most about this series is the passion and intrigue it brings towards science for young children. As was stated before, one of the motivations of this show has been to inspire the next generation to pursue scientific knowledge and to push our world in a better direction. Although many scientific aspects and details are skipped over, and some ofAs a scientific researcher what I appreciate most about this series is the passion and intrigue it brings towards science for young children. As was stated before, one of the motivations of this show has been to inspire the next generation to pursue scientific knowledge and to push our world in a better direction. Although many scientific aspects and details are skipped over, and some of the animations (especially those with DNA) are inaccurate, it makes science accessible to the public and presents it in an entertaining and attention-grabbing way. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is also a pleasure to listen to. I am pleased by the airing of this series and I truly hope to see more shows of its class bringing science to the public in the future. Expand
  29. Apr 13, 2014
    Disgusting show! God created the world in 6 days! YOU are the monkey, i am god's creation!
    Remember what the bible says:
    ANYONE WHO BLASPHEMES THE NAME OF THE LORD IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH. THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY MUST STONE THEM
    -Bible, Leviticus 24:16
  30. Apr 12, 2014
    As a professional educator, I'm confused by the negative reviews of Cosmos.

Those who denigrate the quality of the program and its educational value are unaware of the true state of science ignorance in many middle schools and high schools, and even at the tertiary level. Do NOT attempt to compare the 2014 series with the original series. Both of them are/were original, and
    As a professional educator, I'm confused by the negative reviews of Cosmos.

Do NOT attempt to compare the 2014 series with the original series. Both of them are/were original, and masterpieces, in their own unique ways.
  31. Apr 12, 2014
    This is SO BAD! Overwrought, schmaltzy dialogue.
    He actually cried whilst looking through a telescope because it was where the 'birth of his science'. Way too long on embarrassing, 'dumbed down' animation sequences. CRINGE!
  32. Apr 12, 2014
    I'm just happy to see a show about science on prime time TV although. Neil DeGrasse Tyson while a likable and knowledgeable fellow is no Morgan Freeman and all the attempts at jazzing up the set to give it a Star Trek vibe kind of insults the intelligence of the audience but hey it's a science show on a major network at prime time. Yea!
  33. Apr 1, 2014
    I am very happy to see a new science communicator on broadcast TV. Neil DeGrasse Tyson brings science to many in a very accessible way. Cosmos also has very slick visuals and storytelling.
  34. Mar 31, 2014
    Carl Sagan was one of the most glorious minds we have ever had, and it's no coincidence that his death saw the start of a steady decline in scientific literacy here in the US that has since evolved into a frightening anti-intellectualism movement. Now more than ever, we need Sagan's successor, a mantle few are worthy to bear. Neil deGrasse Tyson is certainly one of them. "A Space-TimeCarl Sagan was one of the most glorious minds we have ever had, and it's no coincidence that his death saw the start of a steady decline in scientific literacy here in the US that has since evolved into a frightening anti-intellectualism movement. Now more than ever, we need Sagan's successor, a mantle few are worthy to bear. Neil deGrasse Tyson is certainly one of them. "A Space-Time Odyssey" captures the original's spirit of wonder and poetry of the natural world while observing scientific discoveries that have occurred since the original series. While doing this, Tyson makes it his own. He does not attempt to mimic Sagan's style, pace or mannerisms, and the few borrowed lines from the original series are used not as a shortcut but to effectively arouse nostalgia and marry the old with the new. Tyson also makes an effort to interface each episode's lessons with the immediate concerns of today. Just as the looming threat of a nuclear capable Soviet Union was the crisis of Sagan's time, climate change and the pursuit of a cleaner renewable energy that doesn't require murdering our planet along with everything on it is the crisis of ours. Like most of my generation, Cosmos is a sacred memory of my youth and so going into the first episode of "ASTO" I had to police my expectations. From one big time fan of the original series to another, I can happily tell you that "ASTO" does not let down. As of writing this Episode 4 is the most recent episode to air, and it concluded with a surprisingly moving story illustrating the genesis of Tyson's passion for science and education that I personally never heard: when Neil deGrasse Tyson was in his youth he was invited to Ithaca by Sagan himself and spent the day tagging along the Cornell campus, where Tyson was considering attending, sort of like a recruiting visit to a Division I school in which a great coach hosts a nationally ranked prospect, except it was science. Sagan at one point in his office just grabbed a random book off his shelf without looking at what it was, signed the inside jacket addressed to Tyson, and gave him what would become a precious memento. At the end of the snowy day Sagan drove Tyson to the bus station and told him if the rail was not running (which I personally can say in that area during winter it does) he could spend the night at his house. Although this story doesn't have much to do with the premise of the show itself, it's a human moment that adds an unexpected emotional innuendo that reminds us that these are not just self-indulgent ideas, but important elements that connect us and the universe to one another. As a small but fun bonus, "ASTO" features brief narrations by Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride) and Seth MacFarlane, who was heavily involved in bringing this to network television using his Fox network connections established over the course of 12 successful years of Family Guy.

If you are concerned about the current state of scientific literacy and are frightened by man's stubborn refusal to surrender carbon emissions, and that one can arouse the scientist in all of us by illustrating the wonders of the cosmos in a non-intimidating manner, just as Carl Sagan did, then you will enjoy this show. Like many, the original Cosmos was an inspiration for me personally, and who knows? "ASTO" may just inspire the next few generations of the world's great scientific minds, wherever they may be right now.
  35. Mar 31, 2014
    An epic adventure through the history of science! This show was needed and I would recommend that absolutely everyone watch it. I've already recommended it to all of my friends.
  36. Mar 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've just watched the third episode, and I have to say that overall, I'm deeply disappointed.

The show is an almost non-stop and overt attack on theology. I'm not defending religion; I generally abhor it. But I feel that the show is giving religion too much power by working so hard to refute it, and short-shrifting science in the process. It makes me wonder if Ann Druyan has had to deflect attacks from the religious right over the last few decades, and this show is the product of that conflict.

There's almost no science in this science show. What little there is, is empty and shallow. Everything has been dumbed-down and Tyson's narration seems to meander and dance around the science without seizing the opportunity to put a fine point on it. For me at times, the dialogue seemed to be just background noise lost against the CGI, and the whole things seems to lack any cohesive structure.

They even ended episode two with animation and Sagan's narration from the original series. That 60 seconds was better than anything else done in the whole of these three episodes.

"These are just some of the things molecules can do, given 4 billion years of evolution."
    - Carl Sagan

Now that's just not dialogue, it's poetry. It is at once succinct and eye-opening/mind-blowing; and the new series hasn't come anywhere close to it. Sagan's delivery was full of awe, wonder, and humility. Tyson's delivery by contrast seems more like a bravado "I got this." Certainly Tyson has earned the chance to pick up where Sagan left off, but I think the new Cosmos would have been in better hands with Brian Edward Cox.

I'll probably still watch it and hope beyond hope that it will improve. They have 10 more episodes so I have to think they will go in-depth about...something.

Oh, and the animation used to depict historical events is beyond awful.
  37. Mar 30, 2014
    When i saw this New Tv show i was so suprised of how the effects are also seeing space time . the show blew me away its like watching my teacher talk about science and watching the most great science show i have ever seen . Grade A+
  38. Mar 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My summary of the first episode: around 8 minutes in, you have the first american flag crudely intruding and (for us foreign spectators), setting the tone for this beatifully executed piece of propaganda. Once it gets going, and through some cliché "awe inspiring CGI" and some awkward scientific celebrity acting, we get a set of would-be science commandments wich tell you to accept observation as evidence and question everything (except the legitimacy of observation as evidence i guess). It then sets out to spend half the episode rambling about how religion BAD and science GOOD, by showing how science has martyrs too!, followed by a little "homage"(AKA copying) from the original series, and in the end you have Neil Tyson humbly retelling us the same old story of how he and Carl Sagan were BFF and totally not implying he's Sagan's rightful heir.

2nd episode is a bit down to earth, but still masterfully manages to avoid talking about man-made global warming (wich is a fact to the most respectable scientific circles), by implying it's just because we're between ice ages. Double standards much?

The show is produced by FOX for f**** sake.
  39. Mar 25, 2014
    Look I love science ,but I am also a christian and this show continually pushes into your face that they believe there isn't a God and that you are ignorant and fearful if you think there is one. They also keep hating on the church and how it kept science from progressing which I admit is partially true. They also only merely hint that most of these people were faithful and believed in God.
  40. Mar 25, 2014
    I don't understand the red reviews here from some people but everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.

Anyway, I'm watching the show in the UK and having read and seen much of Sagan's series and quotes over the years have been anticipating the new Cosmos for some time as I'm also a big deGrasse Tyson fan. I wonder if those saying the CGI is poor to the point of giving the show

I wonder if those saying the CGI is poor to the point of giving the show 0 marks were watching it on screen smeared with Vaseline? Watching it in HD I thought the visuals were just fine. The animated segments were done really well too without going overboard on dramatics.

I agree there is a strong Science vs Religion underpinning in the first couple of episodes but there's no fiction here either. During history Religion clashed with Science heavily to the point where great men like Bruno put themselves at huge risk. Are the people rating the show so low saying that it shouldn't touch on historical facts?

This is Cosmos, we start from the beginning and work our way through the journey Neil is taking us on via the ship of the imagination (which in itself I thought was a brilliant concept at helping the target audience better grasp what's being shown and told).
  41. Mar 24, 2014
    Cosmos puts it in simple terms and in a way that I fully understand. The music score is fitting and peaks my interest as well as my sons interest. Well done!
  42. Mar 24, 2014
    Ten out of ten! Tyson is exceptional and the it is laid out well for folks of all ages. They also provide enough information for those somewhat illiterate to science without boring the more educated.

Bravo! Can't wait for the rest.
  43. Mar 23, 2014
    Extremely boring and the hosts voice puts me asleep. He has a very hypnotic rhythm to his speaking pattern. Great program if you need a show to put you asleep at night but not great for entertainment.
  44. Mar 23, 2014
    Brilliantly presented story for newcomers and believers alike. Gets one to wonder and enhance their curiosity, serving the purpose of a science show. For all the believers, hope this show can present a concept beyond Religion's simple, complete view of everything. Which has served its purpose in evolution, in bringing the humans to 20th century and above all serving the basic human needs,Brilliantly presented story for newcomers and believers alike. Gets one to wonder and enhance their curiosity, serving the purpose of a science show. For all the believers, hope this show can present a concept beyond Religion's simple, complete view of everything. Which has served its purpose in evolution, in bringing the humans to 20th century and above all serving the basic human needs, which in a basic view will continue to do so in the future. Unfortunately it falls short after the basic needs. You need a new view of life to understand beyond that. Science is the answer, at least explore it ! Enjoy the show ! Expand
  45. Mar 22, 2014
    Media and astronomy casualists will give this reboot high marks but it will be quickly forgotten. It's incredibly self-conscious, trying way too hard, and not letting the science be the star of the show. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson and listen to his podcast but he might be getting high on his own celebrity. He is describing science in borderline evangelical reverence, whereas Carl SaganMedia and astronomy casualists will give this reboot high marks but it will be quickly forgotten. It's incredibly self-conscious, trying way too hard, and not letting the science be the star of the show. I love Neil Degrasse Tyson and listen to his podcast but he might be getting high on his own celebrity. He is describing science in borderline evangelical reverence, whereas Carl Sagan was confident in all he didn't know, and why not knowing is a gift of its own. "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Sorry Neil. I know Carl Sagan. Carl Sagan is a friend of mine. You, sir, are no Carl Sagan.
  46. Mar 22, 2014
    Ha! The Christian trolls are out in force on this one. Guess what?! Genesis is not science! Get over it! Great show, The writing is inspiring and informational, and it's always great to see Neil Tyson's face and hear his voice. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the show. Fox has a website so you can watch it online whenever you want, and you don't have to deal with the commercials.Ha! The Christian trolls are out in force on this one. Guess what?! Genesis is not science! Get over it! Great show, The writing is inspiring and informational, and it's always great to see Neil Tyson's face and hear his voice. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the show. Fox has a website so you can watch it online whenever you want, and you don't have to deal with the commercials. Google the website, watch it over and over, learn it, tell your friends. Yeah Science! Expand
  47. Mar 22, 2014
    The way Neil draws the viewer into each scientific scenario is absolutely astonishing in both content and eye candy. Even if you are already familiar with the content, it is endlessly entertaining to take a ride in Neil's "Ship of the Imagination".
  48. Mar 22, 2014
    Это как тот случай, где можно ненадолго отстранится от будничной суеты и насладится невероятным полётом в космос пусть даже в виде компьютерной графики. Великолепный перезапуск серии научно-популярных фильмов. Смотрите и наслаждайтесь, ведь всё это - Реальность.Это как тот случай, где можно ненадолго отстранится от будничной суеты и насладится невероятным полётом в космос пусть даже в виде компьютерной графики. Великолепный перезапуск серии научно-популярных фильмов. Смотрите и наслаждайтесь, ведь всё это - Реальность.
  49. Mar 21, 2014
    Oh yeah baby. Ohhhh yeah. It's a science show about outer space. It's astronomy. How can it not be awesome? Tellin' it like it is baby. Tellin' y'all the truth.
  50. Mar 20, 2014
    The show has a heavy production value to it and Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a great narrative presence. Still, the show at times gets away from itself when presenting now-shaky sciences like macro-evolution which has slowly been fading out of the public school system for some years because of its fact-less basis. That's not to say that there isn't plenty of science here that is backed upThe show has a heavy production value to it and Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a great narrative presence. Still, the show at times gets away from itself when presenting now-shaky sciences like macro-evolution which has slowly been fading out of the public school system for some years because of its fact-less basis. That's not to say that there isn't plenty of science here that is backed up and intriguing, but personally I felt the show's credibility gets distorted when using scientific ideas that have yet to see successful trials. Even some of Darwin's personally-discounted theories are still being preached in Cosmos. I just have a hard time with it as a result. Otherwise there's a sometimes entertaining and illuminating show to be found here even though its executive producer is Family Guy's Seth MacFarlene, who is a bit of a weird and twisted guy. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. I'd personally rather stick with other programming on Discovery and The History Channel as they tend to navigate the educational waters more successfully and meaningfully. Collapse
  51. Mar 20, 2014
    I've never hear of the original series, but this one is just outstanding. Never before have seen something so interesting yet based on real science. The visuals are stunning. Extremely interesting show. I was really surprised when I realized that Seth McFarlane created the show. The special effects are movie-worthy. My only complaint is that sometimes it doesn't have enough "science" andI've never hear of the original series, but this one is just outstanding. Never before have seen something so interesting yet based on real science. The visuals are stunning. Extremely interesting show. I was really surprised when I realized that Seth McFarlane created the show. The special effects are movie-worthy. My only complaint is that sometimes it doesn't have enough "science" and too much "show", but this is easily excused because of how great the series is. Expand
  52. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As part of a generation that didn't grew up watching the original series, this one is a great show that focuses on science using great visuals. Let's be honest, when it comes to science, people don't usually grab a magazine and in a time when most of the people watch tv series to be entertained, this is a great option. The first episode with the cosmos calendar was a great idea. Of course it can not be very specific about science facts, but after all, this is a tv show, not a 100% documentary. Expand
  53. Mar 18, 2014
    This is a great disappointment from the original. With wooden animation instead of live actors, eighteen minutes of commercials, absolutely uninspiring music (listen to the original Vangeles soaring theme if you want to be inspired), and the big Fuzzy Door logo jumping in at the end as if they ran out of time and to remind us that Family Guy and America Dad were just part of the show. I'mThis is a great disappointment from the original. With wooden animation instead of live actors, eighteen minutes of commercials, absolutely uninspiring music (listen to the original Vangeles soaring theme if you want to be inspired), and the big Fuzzy Door logo jumping in at the end as if they ran out of time and to remind us that Family Guy and America Dad were just part of the show. I'm expecting Stewie to show up with his time machine to take us back to the big bang in one of these episodes. The original Cosmos was the most incredible and awe inspiring tv show I had ever seen. I'm afraid this one is a disappointment. Expand
  54. Mar 18, 2014
    What's up with the injection of politics and constant attacks on religion? Why not discuss evolution and present the scientific case without attacking intelligent design? Why describe CO2 as a poisonous gas when it is necessary and indeed promotes all plant life, which in turn is the food source for practically all animal life?

The irony is that the show repeatedly chastises

The irony is that the show repeatedly chastises Christianity for its doctrinaire approach, yet the show and its host fail to see that they are behaving the exact same way. I guess it's just too tough to persuade people with logic, so the show just falls back on political manipulation and disrespectful stereotyping. What a lost opportunity to have a meaningful discussion!
  55. Mar 17, 2014
    This show is absolutely incredible. It will change so many peoples lives. This is something that will help humanity venture off into the stars.
    Don't forget to keep looking up.
  56. Mar 17, 2014
    I fell asleep and then a bad Hannah Barbara cartoon interrupted the show. I was very underwhelmed by the whole experience given what other shows have done since the original. I'll stick with Morgan Freeman and Sagan on Netflix. "Wonders of the Universe" is probably the true successor to Cosmos, not this. Not like this.
  57. Mar 17, 2014
    Although I agree that the program at times is like a planetarium program, that Dr. Tyson sometimes sounds a bit middle-school condescending, and that the special effects are harder to appreciate on a TV than in a planetarium setting, I would have enjoyed the two episodes I've seen very much but for one thing: the constant, numerous commercial interruptions. If they were a feature of theAlthough I agree that the program at times is like a planetarium program, that Dr. Tyson sometimes sounds a bit middle-school condescending, and that the special effects are harder to appreciate on a TV than in a planetarium setting, I would have enjoyed the two episodes I've seen very much but for one thing: the constant, numerous commercial interruptions. If they were a feature of the Cosmos I watched years ago, I don't remember them. Couldn't the network get some really high-powered sponsors who'd be willing to restrict the interruptions (in exchange for some fawning appreciation of their generosity)? At some points we didn't even get 8 minutes of uninterrupted science. Expand
  58. Mar 16, 2014
    This is an amazing show for anyone who appreciates science. Trust me, you NEED to watch this show. it will amaze you in every eay. Good job Tyson. Can't wait for the next episode.
  59. Mar 15, 2014
    Long overdue! I have gained a new found respect for Seth McFarlane in producing this new version of "cosmos". And who better to host this journey of our understanding of the universe than the charismatic astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I just hope this new series rekindles the passion of scientific exploration lost decades ago within the U.S.
  60. Mar 15, 2014
    An Epic Adventures Of Science And Knowledge !!!

** Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey ** * The series which will eventually inspire the scientific thirst in all of us !! in this modern times we think we all know whats going around in our daily life but in reality we don't know even the simplest things that surrounds us in daily basis such as why do we dream when we sleep ?? How does sun
    An Epic Adventures Of Science And Knowledge !!!

** Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey **

* The series which will eventually inspire the scientific thirst in all of us !! in this modern times we think we all know whats going around in our daily life but in reality we don't know even the simplest things that surrounds us in daily basis such as why do we dream when we sleep ?? How does sun light gives your body Vitamin D ?? and How does some flowers that turn into fruits ?? .These are very basic questions yet people will stumble when you ask them !! we simply learn and study things which are related to our profession that gives us job we choose and move on whether its inspiring or not its least of concern !! these are the very lifestyle that we are moving right now that grant us the ability to do stuffs in what we think we know which is very little by the way !! the thing is it will not grant us the ability to think new and different or even discover new things that are waiting to be discovered . Passion about learning new things in which you love is the real key for achieving great things !! do stuffs that you love , question everything and be open minded for all possibility in this way you will gain new heights and knowledge that you never would have dreamed off these are the very factors that grant us success !!.

* The First episode of this series is very interesting with all special effects it was very amazing i learned new things by watching this first episode of this series and it was very beneficial and it gave me the thirst and inspiration to learn new things and gain new knowledge !!! .

* The Host of this show Neil deGrasse Tyson has done a great job in explaining science facts and also history in which it was very inspiring he made this show fun and exciting !! i am very excited to learn lot form him in upcoming episodes !!.

* This series is overall going to be marvelous and exciting cant wait to watch upcoming episodes !!.

* This is the first t.v series i am reviewing

Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey : **********

(10/10) Stars
  61. Mar 14, 2014
    The first episode was an open attack on religion; especially Christianity. Even as an agnostic I'm against attacking one's religious beliefs. I have seen Neil Degrasse-Tyson in other astronomy videos and I found him to have all the personality and charisma of drywall. He's as out of place in Cosmos as a NeoNazi at a synagogue.
  62. Mar 14, 2014
    On the whole, I found this new take on 'Cosmos' extremely underwhelming, disappointing even. While Sagan's original series had a great deal of substance and searching, probing historical insight, Tyson's if anything is the opposite: a lot of style but less substance. Most of the screen time is dominated by either overblown CGI sequences and sweeping, but banal orchestral music (in contrastOn the whole, I found this new take on 'Cosmos' extremely underwhelming, disappointing even. While Sagan's original series had a great deal of substance and searching, probing historical insight, Tyson's if anything is the opposite: a lot of style but less substance. Most of the screen time is dominated by either overblown CGI sequences and sweeping, but banal orchestral music (in contrast to the very interesting and alien-sounding electronica of the original, and its use of classic orchestral pieces which were very awe-inspiring), or some very underwhelming animated sequences of historical dramas (apparently done by the animator of 'Family Guy,' no kidding!) which fall far short of the historical realism and subtlety conveyed by the period dramas of the original series.

The show did present, to be sure, some interesting and more updated theories of cosmology, most importantly 3 dimensional maps of the sun's gravitational pull and the 'rogue planets,' which are quite fascinating. But it was presented in no more depth than as mere snippets between CGI sequences, more in the manner of sound bites than anything more substantial. A great deal more insight could easily be garnered from a half hour perusal of a cosmology magazine or introduction to astrophysics book. While the presentation of the science may be educational for an elementary school audience, I think even secondary school children would eventually become bored by its lack of depth and substance, let alone learned adults.

Unfortunately, the explorations of history and social relations are even worse. Unlike Sagan, who presented a deeply nuanced and sophisticated elucidation of history, Tyson's is decidedly one-dimensional; it seems to merely recapitulate the hackneyed, bourgeois "great man" theory of history. There also seems to be an overwhelming focus on *men* without even the barest of nods to the patriarchal suppression of women's discoveries and insights across history (at least there was no mention of this in episode 1, whereas Sagan discussed figures like Hypatia). He even has the bombast to declare that at the time of Bruno "no one else" on earth believed that the earth circled the sun, a clearly preposterous statement that Sagan would never have made--in fact, as Sagan illustrated in his original series, the theory was decidedly old hat by the time of the Renaissance, having its historical roots in Presocratic Greece! One wonders, given such awful lapses of judgement, if Tyson had even watched the original series of his mentor.

The animation sequences are Disney-like, which as some reviewers have noted are very jarring, and extremely unfitting as an attempt to convey history in terms of its depth and nuances. Even the animation style is too simplistic; while something as stylistically complex as, for example, Studio Ghibli's anime may have worked more effectively to evoke the imagination, the animation style employed here comes across as woefully inadequate.

At least insofar as the first episode was concerned, the originality of the documentary seems highly questionable. Aside from simply re-presenting some of Sagan's original concepts (specifically the spaceship of the imagination and the cosmic calendar), I'm finding it difficult to identify anything that was genuinely new or innovative, or shed any substantive light on the most recent findings of cosmology/astrophysics.

In the end, there is far less actual social and historical context to flesh out the episode than with Sagan's first episode; a telling indication of this is the fact that while much time is spent providing CGI scenes, much less than the original series is spent qualifying the images with analysis.

Even more appallingly, the presentation of Bruno's religious persecution is extremely doctrinaire. I am no defender of the Christian papacy, but the history of the Christian religion is far more complex and contradictory than merely the church persecuting believers in 'science.' In fact, many of the Renaissance scientists, and radical social movements within Christianity (Cromwell's factions, the Diggers, John Ball and his followers, to name but a few), were not only deeply opposed to the papacy but, as Ernst Bloch has shown, advanced extremely libertory, libertine, and "heretical" interpretations of the Bible which are simply not reducible to the current anglo-American context of religious fundamentalists versus liberal atheists. The blatant reductionism of presenting Christianity as a whole as nothing more than the evil of the papacy is just one example among many of the ham-fisted, Hollywood-esque approach to history that I fear is but a foreshadow of what is to come later in the series.

In conclusion, I find little basis upon which to recommend this so-called 'reboot' of the series, and found little of interest in the first episode that would encourage me to watch the rest. It had much promise, a promise which only added to my disappointment.
  63. Mar 13, 2014
    Great visuals and mesmerizing cinematography! I love the simplicity of the narration, direct and straightforward so it is easy to understand especially this generation. I love the added story and cartoon, because it just really creates more depth. I can't wait for the next episodes. I am loving Seth Macfarlane more and more, as executive producer, here is a guy who has vision and neverGreat visuals and mesmerizing cinematography! I love the simplicity of the narration, direct and straightforward so it is easy to understand especially this generation. I love the added story and cartoon, because it just really creates more depth. I can't wait for the next episodes. I am loving Seth Macfarlane more and more, as executive producer, here is a guy who has vision and never ceases to amaze me. Expand
  64. Mar 13, 2014
    This was aired on Fox for a good reason, its because this has been created for children, adult sized children or rather catered to the below average layman, I mean I would show my children something more educational like the original series. If I was going to continue the legacy of Carl Sagan I would of at-least treated the original series to a wine and dine before I **** it. Niel & SethThis was aired on Fox for a good reason, its because this has been created for children, adult sized children or rather catered to the below average layman, I mean I would show my children something more educational like the original series. If I was going to continue the legacy of Carl Sagan I would of at-least treated the original series to a wine and dine before I **** it. Niel & Seth have Carl Sagan turning over in his grave. If they where gonna reboot a good show like cosmos atleast have the decency of just completely coping it and using expensive computer animation like they did without all the religion and no actual science for their pompous blockbuster special effects version of chapter one and a few paragraphs from an introductory astronomy text book called the cosmic perspective 6th edition. So yeah its nothing original its based and a ripped off the textbook by Bennett, Donahue, Schneider and Volt (check it out, read the book and you'll see).

However I cannot give this a 0 because I enjoyed the irony of their prime time animation about stupid people brainwashed by religion and carrying on like the herd mentality sheep that watch Fox in the first place.
  65. Mar 12, 2014
    Damn, I'm seeing a lot of pretentious, elitist **** writing their own reviews on the show. I admire the slower pace it takes because--believe it or not, people--not everyone has done an endless amount of research on astronomy. If you prefer the dull, straightforward documentaries on science, there's plenty of them out there. I think this show establishes a terrific balance betweenDamn, I'm seeing a lot of pretentious, elitist **** writing their own reviews on the show. I admire the slower pace it takes because--believe it or not, people--not everyone has done an endless amount of research on astronomy. If you prefer the dull, straightforward documentaries on science, there's plenty of them out there. I think this show establishes a terrific balance between education and entertainment. The Giordano Bruno part was incredibly fascinating as much as it was important. I found nothing wrong with the writing. I guess you people expected a more pompous, verbose host, but Tyson never displays a hint of egoism. He--and the showrunners--know that not everyone's as well-informed as the people who've dedicated their lives to plentiful of research (only to blast other people who know less--how cool of you). Anyway, I can't wait to see what comes next. Expand
  66. Mar 12, 2014
    Cosmos&Me:

Cosmos&Me:

- The Vancouver Canucks lost 7-4 to the New York islanders a day after Cosmos aired. The team was up 3-0 going into the final period of play. As a situational fan, I was surprised to notice how **** I felt after watching BC's greatest sports team give up 7 goals in 20 minutes. But now, in retrospect, I realize how unimportant that game was-- a spectacle that will be forgotten in cosmic nanoseconds-- compared to the universe and the magic it contains. [hockey is part of the universe, however I'm taking a philosophical and educational tone here].

- In the summer of 2011; a hot, vivid, and beautiful summer-- my brother, my best friend and myself would sit out on my parent's deck and drink beer. As the warm and endless evenings turned into night, we would talk about the cosmos, the nature of reality and other fascinating topics that pervade the human experience. If it weren't for people like my bro, my interest in said topics might be significantly diminished. Neil Tyson's exposition might be old hat to those who are well-versed in astronomy, cosmology and philosophy, but to those who are living in ignorance, these new ideas might spark something wonderfully transformative.

- The Fleet Foxes' video for "The Shrine/An Argument" is a fantastic example of paper cut-out animation. Of course, the song is fantastic and the story that the video depicts is profound and honest as well. Aside from the great CGI in Cosmos, the cut-out animation is quite novel for network television and provides a fresh take on storytelling.

- Ever since my first Creative Writing class in college, poetry has been a significant part of my life as well as a catalyst for my growth as a person. Walt Whitman's poem "When I Heard the Learned Astronomer" is a great example of what Neil Tyson and Mr. Sagan breathe into science. Here's the poem:

WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer;
    When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
    When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
    When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
    How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
    Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
    Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

Science is a matter of observations, hypotheses, experiments and results that arise from various theories and investigations. This sort of explanatory activity is exciting to some, but others find it rigid and colourless (for reasons unknown). The poetic language of Tyson is a bridge over a gap and a lifeline to those who are initially indifferent or unsure about the Cosmos and the connectivity that ties us to everything, all things, nothing, something and the vast expanse of what humans call the universe.
  67. Mar 11, 2014
    I agree with the reviewer who said "glossy" and "shallow." The first episode was quite a disappointment, aimed, I believe, more at school age children than inquisitive adults.

Tyson's performance was especially disappointing. I have seen him numerous times before in a variety of programs and he was always much, much better than this. His patently forced expressions of awe and wonder in Cosmos were embarrassing to watch........... although I assume that he does genuinely have such feelings.

Evidently he is getting very poor advice and/or direction. Or maybe he is trying too hard. Or maybe he feels overawed by the franchise he has taken over and the shoes he has to fill.

Whatever, I hope he quickly settles into the warm, intelligent, and engaging person that he has been in other programs.

Oh, and I am sure it would really help if he had a decent script!!! My gosh, who is responsible for the trite, simplistic, banal words that he has to mouth?

Well, I will keep my fingers crossed. It can only get better, right?
  68. Mar 11, 2014
    If you were expecting the humility and wonder that Carl Sagan brought to the original series, don't look for it in this glossy but shallow remake. Neil DeGrasse Tyson bring a particular arrogance to the new Cosmos. An overly long segment in the first episode is spent proselytizing about the evils of organized religion for suppressing ideas not based on evidence, but as the host admits, onIf you were expecting the humility and wonder that Carl Sagan brought to the original series, don't look for it in this glossy but shallow remake. Neil DeGrasse Tyson bring a particular arrogance to the new Cosmos. An overly long segment in the first episode is spent proselytizing about the evils of organized religion for suppressing ideas not based on evidence, but as the host admits, on "a lucky guess". I'm not kidding.

The show isn't about standing up for the scientific method, as it claims. It is clearly promoting the status quo of modern academia, evidence be damned! Apparently Neil DeGrasse Tyson believes that church leaders centuries ago should have had enough precognitive ability to know that science eventually would provide the evidence to show they might be mistaken.

This is not Sagan's Cosmos!
  69. Mar 11, 2014
    I have not seen all the originals series but I remember that He had the feeling that the world will end in a nuclear winter ... and he was very passionate...
    The new series are a little of the same with a water down version for the FOX extreme christian people...

Well if these are their target group Its a 10/10 for me... the rest of the stories have been said from other good shows in many channels... We are not in the "dark ages TV' anymore :D
  70. Mar 10, 2014
    Epic!!!! It is mind-blowing from start to end. I am hooked again, exactly as I was when I was a child and watched Sagan on TV for the first time twenty years ago. Sagan enlightened me with his opening monologues and clever explanations every time. That so, that I am a scientist because he made fall in love with Science as he was. And Neil, oh Neil, I totally see you are deeply andEpic!!!! It is mind-blowing from start to end. I am hooked again, exactly as I was when I was a child and watched Sagan on TV for the first time twenty years ago. Sagan enlightened me with his opening monologues and clever explanations every time. That so, that I am a scientist because he made fall in love with Science as he was. And Neil, oh Neil, I totally see you are deeply and recklessly in love with the Cosmos, and therefore I am. With warm tears I rejoice dreaming the day I will introduce your/our SpaceTime Odyssey to my children... Expand
  71. Mar 10, 2014
    This was an amazing first episode. A great unbiased introduction to what we think we know about the cosmos. The animations are awe inspiring and even artistic. I would recommend this to any human, it will make you a better and more profoundly knowledgeable person.
  72. Mar 10, 2014
    This series only has one episode released as of the time of writing this review, but it has reminded me of the fantastical wonder of the natural universe. An amazing and beautiful spectacle that had me almost tearing up at times. Remember Sagan well, honor those who made this possible. Carl, Ann, Neil, and even Seth. Thank you all.

This series is sure to knock your socks off. Socks not

This series is sure to knock your socks off. Socks not included.
  73. Mar 10, 2014
    The first episode, did exactly what it should do, give the viewer a sense of scale.
    Neil did an excellent job (as always) to help the layman picture the vastness of the world as it is.
    The Cosmos, is not about hard science. It is about understanding our place in the universe. To give us the facts, and also to dare us. Challenge us to imagine what's next without constraints. And it
    The Cosmos, is not about hard science.
    It is about understanding our place in the universe.
    And it accomplishes that goal completely.
  74. Mar 10, 2014
    Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey has a large shadow looming over it from which it will have to work hard to free itself from.

Luckily, the new series has some quality heavyweights backing it up. Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, was a writer on the original Cosmos, and is producing the new show with Seth MacFarlane. Neil deGrasse Tyson once met Sagan as a young man, and is a brilliant astrophysicist in his own right.

This show has a lot of promise, I just hope they can keep up the level of quality per episode for many seasons to come.
  75. Mar 10, 2014
    Wondrous! This first episode was a grand outline of the universe and the history of the earth, told simply and clearly and utilizing breathtaking visuals. I can't wait to see more. I think this show will help inspire a whole new generation to appreciate science.
  76. Mar 10, 2014
    Way too much time denigrating Christianity in general and the Catholic Church specifically. Too much cheesy animation and non-factual content. Very disingenuous to slam Catholics and then not mention that the father of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest. Poorly done.
  77. Mar 10, 2014
    Astounding. There is never a wrong time to be reminded through flashy visuals and poetic description just how beautiful our universe is. Cosmos entertainingly informs, and reminds us of the unimaginable scope and complexity of the world that surrounds us. Our path to discovery is through the ambitious practices of science, and while the pilot reminded us of the rather negative roleAstounding. There is never a wrong time to be reminded through flashy visuals and poetic description just how beautiful our universe is. Cosmos entertainingly informs, and reminds us of the unimaginable scope and complexity of the world that surrounds us. Our path to discovery is through the ambitious practices of science, and while the pilot reminded us of the rather negative role religion has played in this journey, it was surprisingly objective, only presenting facts and never insulting spirituality. Cosmos is a must watch for anyone with eyes, especially those who previously thought themselves uninterested in science. Expand
  78. Mar 10, 2014
    This mini-series is a great idea and it did an admirable job at balancing entertainment, science, and pretty pictures (although as others have mentioned the CGI looked a little off at times). The narrator was excellent and did a good job of putting large concepts into consumable pieces. The show didn't delve particularly deep, at least in the first episode, but I don't think it is tryingThis mini-series is a great idea and it did an admirable job at balancing entertainment, science, and pretty pictures (although as others have mentioned the CGI looked a little off at times). The narrator was excellent and did a good job of putting large concepts into consumable pieces. The show didn't delve particularly deep, at least in the first episode, but I don't think it is trying to be something like Into the Universe or Through the Wormhole -- it is trying to appeal to a mass audience and people who might not otherwise receive exposure to such things. At this it was a rousing success I think. What this show stands for is more important than the show itself. Expand
  79. Mar 9, 2014
    As a huge fan of the original series, I'm happy to let you know the pilot continued the legacy of the great Carl Sagan behind the very respectable Neil DeGrasse Tyson with great overview and some eye candy visuals. I expect that the science will get more detailed once it focuses on more succinct subjects but so far it was an absolute joy for the anticipation!!
  80. Mar 9, 2014
    This is a total letdown - in content, in science. This host is probably the most uninteresting character - has no excitement or narrative ability. Don't waste your time
  81. Mar 9, 2014
    I'm very disappointed. Really cheap and cheesy graphics. The progression feels very rushed. The storytelling is fragmented. The music is at times poorly mixed, and annoying. I am a huge fan of Neil Degrasse Tyson, and I was hoping for something better than this. Surely the producers could have given him something more to work with than this.
  82. Mar 9, 2014
    Very interesting!! I hope Neil will make more people aware of the Wonder that is the cosmos. I think even people who aren't very enthusiastic about science will enjoy this, he makes boring things sound incredibly interesting.It's only the first episode and I already feel like I'm hooked.
  83. Mar 9, 2014
    A big let down. Poor graphics....no science....no good
    will not be watching any more episodes, what a a waste of time.
    I expected better with the news hype.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 10, 2014
    Crafted to satisfy those generations of viewers for whom even "The Empire Strikes Back" looks quaint and old-fashioned, it is no less thought-provoking for being made to be fun.
  2. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Mar 7, 2014
    The premiere episode nimbly balances information with visual spectacle, forging a middle ground between sci-fi and science fact.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Mar 7, 2014
    It's educational, kid-oriented and fun, and Tyson us confidently smooth popularizer of science. [17 Mar 2014]