Crossing Lines : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 23, 2013
Season #: 1, 2
7.3

1. Jul 8, 2013
    I wanted to like it there is nothing about this to like. It's just another run of the mill cop drama that tries to be an intenational thriller. Not sure it will last very long either.
  2. Aug 26, 2013
    Great cast, great locales, terrible writing and overly dramatic musical score. I want to love this show, but find it more and more irritating the more I watch it. I almost turned it off during tonight's episode but will give it a few more weeks. Its summer. I just wish the writing wasn't so predictable and amateurish.
  3. Jun 24, 2013
    The producers and writer went to great pains to create a unique international setting, interesting cast, and generally 'different' outer skin, only to hide a frustratingly run-of-the-mill core: Cop with a debilitating injury AND a secret torment, another cop with a broken marriage, a wise sage teleported in at key moments for 'important' meetings on discreet park benches, same oldThe producers and writer went to great pains to create a unique international setting, interesting cast, and generally 'different' outer skin, only to hide a frustratingly run-of-the-mill core: Cop with a debilitating injury AND a secret torment, another cop with a broken marriage, a wise sage teleported in at key moments for 'important' meetings on discreet park benches, same old interactions amongst the group. The point is, it's really hard work creating something fresh and original (Homeland, Justified, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.). A mere change of scenery and European faces is not nearly enough. Hopefully, plots will get better as the show progresses but, it's been my experience that, if that potential is not evident in the pilot, it usually doesn't happen later. Too bad! Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2013
    I like the international flavor for a change. May have to watch with subtitles turned on occasionally. It would certainly be an interesting twist if they killed off one of the team each week.

Technical snafu morphine transdermal patches are slow acting, so the character's instant relief is bogus.
  5. Aug 12, 2013
    This show would be so much better if people were to speak in their own languages. The plots are decent. I really think the show needs a little more character development and team development in the next few episodes. I find that some of the cast aren't as engaging as others. It most likely is the writing. I find the writing to be devoid of style or wit. The actors are what keep meThis show would be so much better if people were to speak in their own languages. The plots are decent. I really think the show needs a little more character development and team development in the next few episodes. I find that some of the cast aren't as engaging as others. It most likely is the writing. I find the writing to be devoid of style or wit. The actors are what keep me coming back. I believe the actors are decent. I have to say that Fichtner is playing the same old stereotypical character that he always plays. It is boring and I usually fast forward him. It also could be the American attitude he pours on for the character I don't like. The apparent leader of this rag tag bunch of cops is disengaging as well. I understand I'm supposed to feel for his plight as a suffering father who lost his child and is losing his wife too. But there again, the show has fallen short to fully develop the arc of the character. I l love Donald Sutherland, but I also find his dialogue to be lack lustre. The least favorite of the cast has to be Anna Marie(sp?) and Sebastian, of course this is behind Fichtner's character. These two are uninspired. One has a gambling problem and I know nothing about the girl who was hurt and is seemingly Fichtner's gopher. You could almost axe these two and I wouldn't notice.

I have to say the best and most interesting characters on the show are Victoria and Tommy. I love how these two actors have dived into their roles. I actually believe them because they seem to believe in their characters. Even though they weren't given much, they still had a presence on screen.

I would suggest sweeping changes to this show if it is to continue:

1. Have the characters actually speak their own languages in their own countries! OMGosh, why the hell would they speak English? I know this is an American show, but I would hope the American public can read as well. Not only does this make this show look incredibly cheap, it ruins the feel of being in the wonderful locales.

2. Someone get a composer or a music producer who can score for this show, so it doesn't seem like some cheesy B rated movie or badly produced foreign tv show.

3. The writers need to work on some new material. There are so many more interesting crimes. Stop being so pedantic. As well, focus on one or two characters instead of all of them. This will help with the flow of the show as well as have us, the audience, able to not be jarred by every other scene while trying to figure out which storyline we're in.
  6. Aug 21, 2015
    Great cast, great concept but, typical American cop show formula writing. Right from the start, there are factual errors which drove me nuts. Anyone who is in extreme pain would not use a morphine patch which would take an hour to bring pain relief. If it happened only once, it would not have bothered me so much but, it goes on repeatedly. Plus the errors in protocols, these are just aGreat cast, great concept but, typical American cop show formula writing. Right from the start, there are factual errors which drove me nuts. Anyone who is in extreme pain would not use a morphine patch which would take an hour to bring pain relief. If it happened only once, it would not have bothered me so much but, it goes on repeatedly. Plus the errors in protocols, these are just a couple of the problems with this series. A lot of wasted talent. Too bad. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Clark Collis
    Jul 12, 2013
    [Crossing Lines] offers exotic locales, a veritable United Nations of a cast, and a revered actor (in this case, Donald Sutherland) phoning it in. [19 Jul 2013, p.82]
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Jun 24, 2013
    There's potentially a very interesting show about cops from different cultures, with different methods of policing, learning to work together. Based on the pilot, at least, Crossing Lines just treats all that as window dressing for the same old, same old.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Jun 24, 2013
    Though constructed from off-the-rack tropes and predictable dialogue, the show also keeps moving forward, causing its characters enough trouble that you feel compelled to stick around at least to see how they get out of it.