• Network: Starz
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 12, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.6

1. Nov 10, 2014
    There is a lot to like in Season 1 of Da Vinci's Demons. The acting is fine, the production values great and the fun, lots. However, the first few episodes fail to justify that and a lot of build up and little pay off leaves too much for Season 2.
  2. Jun 2, 2014
  3. Apr 27, 2014
    One of the best tv series ever made! I really enjoy each and every episode and I always want more! I just can't get enough of it. I highly recommend it.
  4. Apr 21, 2014
    Da Vinci's Deamons is exactly what i was expecting from David S. Goyer. It is one of the best seasons i have see. Cast is superb and they have shown the reality of that time's Pope. I like it very much.
  5. Apr 17, 2014
    Such a good show. Luckily sky have the box set on demand so I was able to watch the whole first season before season two started. I am lucky to be in the area where they film some.of the episodes so I get to see some behind the scenes stuff. Its not very glamorous being a tv star is it? Lol the stories are so good in the first season so I'm praying its going to carry on in the second. The episodes are very well written and the actors portray their on screen characters extremely well. Very good show and I recommend it to anyone! Expand
  6. Apr 14, 2014
    Of course that this story is fiction, no one ever told that this serie was based on true facts, it is only based on true characters. But it's brilliant anyway! The plot is fresh and entertaining!
  7. Apr 4, 2014
    Even a "historical fantasy" has to have some internal logic, and Da Vinci's Demons is frequently dragged down by ludicrous writing. Apparently, it's easier to let random innocents hear your secret plans and then kill them for dramatic effect than it is to talk in private. Someone walks in on you doing a job you were paid to do? Hide, because it's dramatic. And while Da Vinci's real inventions are pretty wild, I'm pretty sure the automated flying metal birds in the pilot were not among them. Likewise, the other gratuitously salacious elements, including multiple pedophile priests, and nudity (which, unlike many shows, is fairly egalitarian) and violence aplenty, are simply too much.

The series' high points derive from its engagement of the real Da Vinci's contradictory and unique character, a whimsical score by Bear McCreary, and the female lead. Despite being frequently nude, she seems to be having the time of her life playing dress-up in fancy costumes the rest of the time, and effectively conveys a sense of being both vile and appealing at the same time. The show is quite cynical about religion, and to anyone easily offended it may offend. Me, I count that as another high point.

Shot in Britain with largely British actors (despite being said in Italy and elsewhere), the series lacks a sense of authenticity. The intrigue and splatter are sometimes interesting, but given that the guy who wrote The Dark Knight is in charge of it, the series is something of a disappointment. It'll never be great, but it may get better.
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    It's not a factual account of Leonardo's life and has never claimed to be, but it's a lot of fun and very refreshing. It takes off rather weakly, so bear with the first two episodes. It picks up wonderfully as the plot thickens. Also, amazing performances!
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    While clearly lacking historical accuracy, Da Vincin's Demons is a fun, beautifully-set adventure, like an Italian Renaissance Sherlock Holmes. I'm sure that humorously erroneous book reports from junior high students are sure to follow.
  10. Aug 2, 2013
    The stage set is perfect enough to take you to the ages, the plot wide enough to add ancient mysticism plus current logical system, it couldn't be better. I just hope that they continue with their efforts no matter what the obstacles in glorifying this great genius and demystifying the mysteries in a wonderful fantasy filled stories.
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    Is Da Vinci's Demons as good as Game Of Thrones no. Is it better than 95% of the crap on TV nowadays yes! I have to laugh when I read people pick a part a show like this as if there are thousands of other shows to choose from that you could be watching instead. TV is dangerously close to being a non-stop reality related marathon of shows led by the Kardashians who will probably have their own TV channel soon like Oprah's "O"' but the Kardashians channel will be called the "K" channel. Imagine non-stop 24/7 Kardashians every minute of every day! Enjoy any show like this while you can (even if its not the greatest show made), because if we all and moan and critique these type of shows too much, we will be left with watching nothing but reality shows like Kim, Kanye and Northwest take over America coming soon to the new "K" channel! Expand
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    Come on, seriously? I've watched three episodes of this and i don't even know how and why. Maybe the show can be good if you want to laugh at...at...just everything you see in the show. But if i want to laugh i'd just go with some comedies like louis c.k, parks and recreation, arrested development and so on. Usually i don't want to laugh watching something that is supposed to be a drama.

Also, i find that the da vinci's actor it was just bad and without an inch of charisma.
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    There's a new breed of TV that throws out all the old tropes. Unfortunately Da Vinci's Demons knows nothing of this. It's old school, patronizing TV straight from the 90s. It wants to be liked so much it ends up being pathetic. Such a great concept gone to waste.
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    Ultimately I was disappointed with Demons considering it's creator. When the show was announced I wondered what 'demons' the title was referring to and it's these demons that for me detract from the narrative's stronger elements. The show is strongest when Da Vinci is caught up in the power struggle fought between the Medici's and the Pope through his sly nephew Count Riario.

The
    'demons' element weakens Da Vinci and has him fighting a repressed childhood memory while hunting for clues of his mother. He is contacted by the Son's of Mithras, who instruct him to access the Fountain of Memory to find the Vault of Heaven where he will find the Book of Leaves. Seriously, you couldn't make it up. The Book of Leaves will probably be followed by the Turd of Glory.

In terms of historical accuracy the show is tongue in cheek and pretty good fun. For me Da Vinci is a bearded old man, but here is he reinvented as a cool, fast talking, talented sword fighter. I wondered if Goyer would stay true to dialogue of the time but this was answered in the first ten seconds of the opening episode when Hugh Bonneville, in a cameo as the Duke of Milan, responds 'Balls!' to be told he was late! Tom Riley is charismatic as Leonardo and is well supported by Elliot Cowan as Lorenzo de Medici and Blake Ritson as Count Riario.

The production is glossy and features some decent CGI used to illustrate Da Vinci's brain at work as he plots and develops his inventions.

The finale was disappointing finishing not just following a cliffhanger but midway through one which I found incredibly unsatisfying. At only eight episodes, the season was the perfect length, short and punchy and the show has been renewed for another round in 2014.
  15. May 31, 2013
    Da Vinci's Demons is so refreshing, its quirky take on a historical great is just so entertaining. The Vlad epsiode is brilliantly scary and Tom Riley's performance is brilliantly charming and manic, and we look forward to each week's instalment and very much hope there will be further seasons to tune into
  16. May 26, 2013
    10++++++++ out of 10+. A very good show and Tom Riley is dreamy in it. The actors give stellar performances. I don't need to say anything else about this wonderful show.
  17. May 25, 2013
    I really want to enjoy this show, but I just can't *quite* buy into it. (Partly because none of em can pronounce the name Medici correctly). The casting is fine, although I have trouble picturing Tom Riley growing into the images of Leonardo da Vinci that have come down in his sketches: somehow, he just doesn't seem substantial enough. Sets, costuming and make-up are all lovely, but the stories just don't hang together. Overall, I'm disappointed. Expand
  18. May 12, 2013
    Pretty low budget, reminds me of Merlin but with nakedness, maybe they should have worked out beforehand if they wanted to make an adult drama or a kids show. Its just lacking in all areas really, acting, plot....................
  19. May 11, 2013
    I am disappointed with this show. I wrote a historical fiction about Lorenzo Medici so I know a lot about them. None of this show is historically correct. Lorenzo wasn't even the patron to Leonardo he was to Michael Angelo though. The actors seem too British to me and not at all Italian. Historically Lorenzo's brother, Giuliano, was murdered at 17. It is what I call fluff, sex and violence using a low budget. The Borgias have better actors and cosutmes while staying more true to historical fact. Expand
  20. May 6, 2013
    So this may not be very historically accurate or have amazing visual effects but it does end up being a decent entertaining show. I wouldnt be too upset if i missed an episode here and there but if its on and you have time/access to it, it could be pretty entertaining to watch.
  21. May 2, 2013
    Great show, but I find it dangerous that they are turning it towards a more of a mistry/fantastic thing. They should always pay attention to Da Vinci`s inventions, altough it is too soon to tell wich way they are going.
    My last words: Watch it if you like History shows, mixed with some action and fantactic. So far there is a balance between these elements. Lets see how it goes!
  22. Apr 28, 2013
    poorly edited and ill structured script damaging the show.Writers trying to add magical view to well known and scientist is totally insane.Had the origin to be a decent show but writers were unable to back the fan expectation and i don't see a chance this show will renewed.
  23. Apr 24, 2013
    From its very beginning, we are told that this is loosely based on Leonardo's actual life story.

Above all, it's a sci-fi fantasy show and it will deal with the current suspected mythology of the era: secret societies, a masonic Catholic church and religious mysticism.

Leonardo's character is a sort of clever swashbuckler pirate than can invent as well as love beautiful women; he
    can also slow time to pick details up and abstract reality in the form of mental blueprints: similar to the detective mode found on the new Batman Arkham game series.

As a Stars production [Spartacus], the creators wanted to grant us with some skin on the screen but they do not go as far as it has been done on the gladiator show; probably due to most of the actors' being English and respectable instead of New Zealanders and carefree.

The city of Florence has been virtually rendered to offer the series setting, which does not look as well [real] as it should but it's fine [pretty].

I've just finished watching the second episode so I cannot tell more yet the plot has thickened a bit more and the main characters have begun to interestingly evolve as well.

It's a fun show with some pretty CG environments, costumes and people on it to look at, specially the female lead character.

It deserves a try.
  24. Apr 21, 2013
    I was too excited when I first heard the news that they're releasing Da Vinci's Demons. Honestly though, when I first heard of it, I was scared that it wouldn't be as successful as I want it to be, considering the fact that it's more of a renaissance series. Based on recent reviews though I have to say that Da Vinci's Demons is getting better reviews. I really liked the show, it has a cunning storyline and the cast is easy to love. It might have some R rated scenes, but honestly, what recent show doesn't. Da Vinci's Demons is an easy to recommend show, and an easy show to give a 10. If you've read some of Dan Brown's work, and loved it, then Da Vinci's Demons could be your new favourite show. Expand
  25. Apr 17, 2013
    It could go either way, too soon to tell. I want to like it, the subject matter certainly could turn this into an epic show... Hopefully the story line takes a more serious path, rather than trying to be too lighthearted and "fun", which there were (cringe worthy) snippets of in episode one. Another small gripe I have with this new Starz series is the gratuitous male nudity. As with Spartacus, once again, they really need to learn their viewing demographic... this isn't the Bachelor after all -"guys guy" TV show viewers do NOT want to see other "guys" junk every episode. If the sillyness and male nudity continues, you've lost another viewer. Expand
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    Like many other shows, this one suffers of underbudget production problems, dubious acting, as well as a superficial approach that tries to please too many audiences.
  27. Apr 13, 2013
    Da Vinci's Demons is exactly how I expected it to be. Stylish, well-written, humorous and suspenseful. The pilot wasn't too epic or awesome but I know the show will progress in the upcoming episodes, it has so much potential and as David S. Goyer is associated with it, he wouldn't ruin it. Tom Riley is as great as Leonardo Da Vinci's portrayal can be, he has a charming personality that can urge anyone to like him. Other characters are good, too but they were not used well in the pilot episode. Would like to see more of them in the next episodes. Art direction and cinematography are great, visual effects need more work, though. They seemed a bit too cliche at times. Anyway, the show is about Leonardo Da Vinci, so, let's focus on that. The pilot has given rise to so many mysteries and let's see how great it can be in the future and how the writers and the directors would deal with them. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2013
    To work, this overheated alchemy needs a magnetic Leo, but Tom Riley is miscast--too smart-alecky and brash. [13 May 2013, p.46]
  2. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Apr 15, 2013
    While the first two episodes of "Da Vinci" are overly convoluted, the action moves at such a rapid pace and unfolds with such giddy enthusiasm that it's easy to just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  3. Reviewed by: Gail Pennington
    Apr 12, 2013
    Its real appeal should be to viewers who like their TV history entertainingly out there.