Damages : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.5

1. Sep 28, 2014
    I really liked the show, but one thing about it made no snese.
    Patty Hewes was a bastard to work for.
    Tom and Ellen, worked for her, were treated like dirt, and had other offers from other law firms.
    SO WHY DIDN'T THEY QUIT AND GO TO WORK FOR THEM?
    I know this is only a tv show, fiction, but that part made no sense.
  2. Dec 21, 2012
    This is an excellent series, though confusing at times with flash forwards as well as flashbacks. Glenn Close is superb as Patty Hewes, the focus of the show. The show focuses on the interplay of Hewes and her young protege Parsons. The personalities of these two and how they interact is at the core of the action focus of the show. Hewes is a cold, logical, realistic, cunning andThis is an excellent series, though confusing at times with flash forwards as well as flashbacks. Glenn Close is superb as Patty Hewes, the focus of the show. The show focuses on the interplay of Hewes and her young protege Parsons. The personalities of these two and how they interact is at the core of the action focus of the show. Hewes is a cold, logical, realistic, cunning and intelligent person whose focus is on achieving power and success at the cost of emotional relationships with others. Parsons admires Hewes and wants to emulate her success, but Parsons is more "normal" meaning emotionally involved with others and love relationships. Parsons tries to have it both ways, combining work success with love of others, but her failure in work is due to her emotion just as Hewes' success is due to her emotionless objectivity. The action is enough to attract the usual viewer, while the psychological aspects of the personalities are an added bonus for the viewer who can appreciate this. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    now that I have watched the first three seasons I can say that this has to be one of the best acted shows out there. I am not a big fan of flashbacks but this show directors and writers have made flashback an art. Koodos to both lead women for carrying this show to the heights.
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    The show is great, watch it...........................................................................................................................
  5. Aug 9, 2012
    Glenn Close at her best. The rest of the cast is equally good, Rose Byrne is perfect for this role. One of the best show ever. Watch it! Watch it! Watch it!
  6. Jul 12, 2012
    Oh my where do I begin! This show is one of the best TV shows ever created. Amazing acting, brilliant writing and the directing and editing is very cinematic. This season was flawless and the pilot was the best hour of television I have seen in years. Let me mention that Glenn Close, the lead of this series is a legend and a phenomenal actress. She really makes the show what it is and isOh my where do I begin! This show is one of the best TV shows ever created. Amazing acting, brilliant writing and the directing and editing is very cinematic. This season was flawless and the pilot was the best hour of television I have seen in years. Let me mention that Glenn Close, the lead of this series is a legend and a phenomenal actress. She really makes the show what it is and is supported by the best cast of actors working today. The show really showed a genre we have never seen on television before, and it is called a legal thriller. We have read Grisham novels and similar books but we have never seen it on tv. You are in for a very satisfying ride! Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2012
    Given the cast, i expected acting at least. This series is so thin, and depends on so many tricks, it's maddening. Maybe just the frustration has kept me watching. Characters seesaw from naive to hard as nails and so far, the actors have a hard time knitting those extremes into believable characters. I imagine them saying "how am I going to get into this" and then giving up and justGiven the cast, i expected acting at least. This series is so thin, and depends on so many tricks, it's maddening. Maybe just the frustration has kept me watching. Characters seesaw from naive to hard as nails and so far, the actors have a hard time knitting those extremes into believable characters. I imagine them saying "how am I going to get into this" and then giving up and just reading the lines. The plot twists, bizarre as they are, get predictable because they repeat initial plot patterns. Disappointing. Expand
  8. Jan 21, 2012
    The best thing about this series is the story-telling method in which a small piece of the future is revealed at the beginning, and the rest of the season is spent doling out details in bits and pieces. Each episode leaves the viewer with a cliff-hanger ending ensuring your addiction. The cast is great; excellent acting values all around. The director's hand is invisible, and the writingThe best thing about this series is the story-telling method in which a small piece of the future is revealed at the beginning, and the rest of the season is spent doling out details in bits and pieces. Each episode leaves the viewer with a cliff-hanger ending ensuring your addiction. The cast is great; excellent acting values all around. The director's hand is invisible, and the writing is good. This show loses a few points for select weak moments at the hands of the lighting, hair, and costume design departments. From time to time interior and exterior lighting angles don't match creating that "something is not quite right but I can't put my finger on it" feeling. Hair and clothing are 95% right on with that occasional "my grandmother helped me with this" choice thrown in just to keep the viewer guessing. Big points lost for Zeljko Ivanek's horrible southern accent. Expand
  9. Sep 18, 2011
    This show is genius. Each character equally deep and complex...and the plot just keeps getting better. I have a really hard time enjoying other dramatic tv shows as a result.
  10. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a great show. I have no idea why it was relegated to whatever network it's on now, but I guess they can go a little further with the sex and language now. Kind of puts it in the HBO or Showtime realm. It is creatively directed and very well acted. Those that write bad reviews clearly just don't get it.
  11. Aug 7, 2011
    Great casting, acting and writing. Damages is smart, suspenseful and never fails to surprise. Television at its finest, has me hooked! Glenn Close and Rose Byrne provide strong leads. Even side characters seem fully developed as the show rarely introduces a new character without purpose. A great legal thriller where no one can be fully trusted.
  12. Dec 14, 2010
    Mesmerizing and simply perfect. The two leads Glenn Close and young Rose Byrne are the reason this show is so great. The non-linear narrative and the plot twists are cherry on the top. The best part, and the real reason why this show is so good is the reality this show is presented. Its scandalous and "trashy", thrilling and exiting all in the same time without using the "scandalous CWMesmerizing and simply perfect. The two leads Glenn Close and young Rose Byrne are the reason this show is so great. The non-linear narrative and the plot twists are cherry on the top. The best part, and the real reason why this show is so good is the reality this show is presented. Its scandalous and "trashy", thrilling and exiting all in the same time without using the "scandalous CW factor" (young sexy actors, sex and drugs, hot places and luxury) with only the strong acting ability of the cast. The show is not for everyone because its narrative is sometimes confusing and pointless if you don't pay attention, but that's not the reason this show isn't one of the best... Expand
  13. amanr
    Jan 8, 2009
    As the show advanced it became more interesting.
  14. LesD.
    Sep 2, 2008
    Another great show!cant wait for season 2 payback's a bitch!!
  15. BebeB.
    Aug 9, 2008
    good writing, excellent acting. I think Ted Danson is great and Glen Close riveting to watch.
  16. HowardR.
    Dec 29, 2007
    Season 2 of "Damages" is a no brainier. Great writing ...music and cast. We need more of this in todays TV! We have a crew that meets at our home for the show with discussion afterwards....once you enter the room, no cellphones or mindless chatter...focused on the plot. Please make the second season happen..pay the writers what they deserve!!!!
  17. MartinS.
    Nov 28, 2007
    It's almost too good for television.
  18. ChrisR.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I did not watch tv until I saw the previews for this show-I have not stopped watching it.
  19. BetsyK.
    Oct 31, 2007
    This had me from beginning to end. Glenn Close and all the others put on the best TV suspense I have seen for a long time. Please FX, go another season. The word is just getting out.
  20. EllenB.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Highly intelligent, fascinating characters and writing. Hope very much that it will be back next season. Love that nothing is ever as it seems!
  21. IsadoraP.
    Oct 26, 2007
    This is the best series drama I have seen in years. Glenn Close and Ted Danson both deserve awards for their performances. I love shows that really get your brain going and make you think. Each and every time I thought I had it figured out, the ending always blew my theory out the window! I hope there is a second season!
  22. SandraJ.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Love the show. Can't wait to watch it each week. I even watched the last episode twice to catch some nuances I missed the first time around. I hope FX picks it up for another season. The casting is excellent. Would love to see Ellen in action next season as she unravels more of the mystery.
  23. IreneM.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Hands down - best show on TV as we speak. Writing & acting - awesome. A bit challenging to watch all the complexities. Top Notch. Second Season - Yes!!! And that's from somebody who couldn't stand GC for the longest time. Her role in 'Shield' turned it all around for me. Am a big fan now.
  24. RisaD.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Excellent show. They left an opening for continuation (will Ellen catch Patti, did Frobisher really sustain a fatal wound, etc) Hmmm, I wonder.
  25. SalleyJ.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Best show on television for a long time! I love it.
  26. DebiM
    Oct 23, 2007
    Amazing work by Close and cast. As a woman, I am intrigued by the evolving relationships between the 'role model' Close and the understudy Byrne. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
  27. AnitaL.
    Oct 23, 2007
    I am so hooked on this show. The last show was excellent! Giving the viewer some closure on what really happened the night Ellen's boyfriend was murdered was written and presented perfectly. Please FX pick up this show! My husband and I want to know more about these characters and see Ellen's trial. Also want to see Ted Danson's Character get his come-uppens.
  28. DicksS.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Maybe the networks need to learn from the "summer" replacement shows on how to provide interesting and well developed shows. Excellent cast and a good show overall. Like most shows, it has it weak parts but it is certainly a heck of a lot better than anything I have seen yet of the new "prime" fall lineup!
  29. C.B.
    Oct 18, 2007
    Television at it's finest. Better than any original programming on HBO!
  30. MaryG.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Best show on TV!
  31. CydneyB.
    Oct 13, 2007
    This is why no one goes out to the movies anymore.. FX network kicks ass. Went to see Michael Clayton (snore!) and couldn't wait to get home to finish Tivo'd "Damages". Glen Close at her absolute best. Character is nuanced, sympathetic and psychotic (just like Mackey on the Shield).
  32. MargaretM.
    Oct 6, 2007
    Bring Andrew back! He's one of the best looking characters in the show, and the only one who even looks like a real lawyer!
  33. CarolM.
    Sep 5, 2007
    I enjoy this show and can't wait until the following week for the next episode. It is a little frustrating with the flashbacks but it is so compelling...Glenn Close looks like she is thoroughly enjoying playing such a high power meanie...and what a great job she does..Ted Danson isn't quite as compelling but he is a complex figure..probably more truth about the Corporate World I enjoy this show and can't wait until the following week for the next episode. It is a little frustrating with the flashbacks but it is so compelling...Glenn Close looks like she is thoroughly enjoying playing such a high power meanie...and what a great job she does..Ted Danson isn't quite as compelling but he is a complex figure..probably more truth about the Corporate World than we think! Yikes! Expand
  34. HellenL.
    Aug 23, 2007
    An excellent show....considering the trashy Saving Grace on TNT
  35. LanceW.
    Aug 17, 2007
    Decided to catch this on a rebroadcast and I'm glad I did. This show is all over the place - and that's what makes it compelling. You don't know who's good and who's bad. Close and Danson are excellent in their roles - so's the rest of the cast.
  36. ElynH.
    Aug 17, 2007
    I think this show is fantastic ! High power women making the deals and controling like the situation like we traditionally think males do. This will be a great season. There are so many subplots here it keeps me guessing.
  37. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    AWESOME! I love Glenn Close and to see her in this type of roll is great. You, as the viewer, honestly don't know who to trust. I am always on the edge of my seat during this show.
  38. HeatherG
    Aug 15, 2007
    Excellent! I can't wait for Tuesday nights!
  39. SW.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Damages is a thriller. You never know what Patty Hewes is thinking. I love it so far.
  40. PrestonJ.
    Aug 2, 2007
    A very well balanced cast, a worthwhile and intriguing story, and plenty of style and wit in its directiing and writing. It has me interested and hooked.
  41. PAULC
    Aug 2, 2007
    EXCELLENT!
  42. GinaD
    Aug 1, 2007
    Flashbacks a little hard to follow - but the story has me hooked
  43. gabbyD
    Jul 30, 2007
    Excellent show! can't wait for future episodes when the ellen character makes her transition.
  44. JeffJ
    Jul 29, 2007
    Top quality TV - after one episode it's already on my list of "must see" shows.
  45. nateg
    Jul 28, 2007
    1st episode was very good. Glen Close is great in this role. If the writing continues to be this good. We may have a very good show to look forward to
  46. NormaC
    Jul 27, 2007
    Thought it was just okay until the very end. I have to watch the pilot again to see if I could pick up the hints of what actually happened. Big time twist. Really surprising!
  47. SandraW
    Jul 26, 2007
    Best new show I have seen. Will definitely continue to watch
  48. SheilaS.
    Jul 25, 2007
    This has all the signs of a really great show -- amazing actors, tight writing and pacing. I found the first episode a bit confusing due to some scenes interspersed out of sequence. I just watched it again, and am convinced this show has real potential.
  49. GeorgeM
    Jul 25, 2007
    The pilot episode of Damages was amazing. The show is highly entertaining and I couldn't agree more with Orlando Sentinel: "A legal thriller with the depth and structure of an engrossing novel."
  50. VeraB
    Jul 25, 2007
    Excellent Show. I totally enjoyed it and rewatched it immediately following the pilot show.
  51. CharlieB
    Jul 25, 2007
    This is an instant hit! Glenn Close is superb!

The plot is difficult to follow - shot sequences, at least in the first two episodes, often pair sex and death (an FX trademark, practically; it’s the network that looks our animal selves in the eye), whether or not their pairing helps the story--but you’re strung along deftly enough so that you do want to know how it’s all going to play out.
    Who's a villain and who's a hero here? Can you tell the pawns from the players? All excellent questions as we become absorbed in FX's latest thrill ride.
  3. Despite its fantastic nature, the story is an onion with a thousand layers, each one a satisfying mystery of its own.