Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.5

1. Mar 20, 2011
    Except for a couple of the tertiary characters, most of the performances are contrived. Many of the plot elements seem pointlessly oblique. I grew tired of being teased after 2 episodes when nothing seemed to be moving forward.

Glenn Close's character seems bi-polar and not particularly believable. Ted Danson was ok. Many of the other main characters are just too cute. The graphic

The graphic violence and drug use don't do anything to drive the story forward and in my opinion are a cop-out for the writers. I get that Patty (the main character) is slimy-- you don't have to murder a dog to make me believe that.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Worthless. I am very picky about the shows I watch, and after the first two I thought I'd continue watching this one. However, about the first 4 or 5 shows, I realized that they were dragging it out far too long. Every other scene seemed pointless and annoying. Close's character kept switching between evil and so stupidly quirky that you began to think she was schizophrenic. The Worthless. I am very picky about the shows I watch, and after the first two I thought I'd continue watching this one. However, about the first 4 or 5 shows, I realized that they were dragging it out far too long. Every other scene seemed pointless and annoying. Close's character kept switching between evil and so stupidly quirky that you began to think she was schizophrenic. The "present-tense" drama that they kept teasing you with never got any clearer. It was a carrot on a stick that never got any closer, and in order to fill the empty space you got to see Danson's character standing next to his pool for the umpteenth time. Drivel. Expand
  3. OliJ.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Overblown.
  4. CraigG..
    Aug 21, 2007
    This show is draggggging on so sloooowwwwlllly that I am ready to kill one of the characters just so I'll know who did it. This a five night mini-series that should be OVER by now.
  5. BarbaraM.
    Jun 12, 2008
    Except for Ted Danson having the time of his life, and Glenn Close chewing up the scenery, all the other actors are clumsy, hammy and poorly cast, and in way over their heads.
  6. MisterTelevision
    Sep 21, 2008
    As Aeschylus would have said, "this blows." Bad writing, terrible casting, occasionally competent acting, really really really bad Southern accents. How this many good people can make something this bad is a mystery.
  7. Oct 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can't really judge a show till it's over. This, along with the Sopranos are the finest examples of shows that would have rated very high were it not for the awful finales. But where the writers for the sopranos simply failed to do their job, these writers failed to do it well. Nothing bothers me more than plot holes and unfortunately the finale was riddled with them. The most outrageous of them being Patrick Scully, a man willing to testify in court for immunity in a weak case for attemted murder, doesn't hesitate to put himself in an open and shut case of second degree murder. Keeping in mind the man has never killed more than a dog before, i find it nearly impossible to believe. Also, Ellen not only doesn't turn in the woman who tried to have her killed but she gives up a promising career. Not one part of this finale made a bit of sense. It's like the writers just started smoking crack. Expand

The plot is difficult to follow - shot sequences, at least in the first two episodes, often pair sex and death (an FX trademark, practically; it’s the network that looks our animal selves in the eye), whether or not their pairing helps the story--but you’re strung along deftly enough so that you do want to know how it’s all going to play out.
    Who's a villain and who's a hero here? Can you tell the pawns from the players? All excellent questions as we become absorbed in FX's latest thrill ride.
  3. Despite its fantastic nature, the story is an onion with a thousand layers, each one a satisfying mystery of its own.