Death Note : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2
9.1

1. DME
    Jun 23, 2012
    Death Note is a smart psychological battle from beginning to end.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    This anime is compelling in many ways. The two rivals of the show are evenly matched: Both master manipulators, who play each move like if it was a chess match. The story is told from the point-of-view of the bad guy, so many viewers would consider his evil actions as justified. It's a mystery, but we are shown all the pieces of the puzzle from the start, they joy is watching theThis anime is compelling in many ways. The two rivals of the show are evenly matched: Both master manipulators, who play each move like if it was a chess match. The story is told from the point-of-view of the bad guy, so many viewers would consider his evil actions as justified. It's a mystery, but we are shown all the pieces of the puzzle from the start, they joy is watching the characters put it together. I believe the popularity of the story warranted a second season, which unnecessarily extended it. Still, it's an addictive show, with great suspense, and plot twists that will keep you guessing until the very end. Expand
  3. Sep 9, 2010
    Death Note is, simply put, the best anime I've ever seen. The premise is fascinating, the plot is fantastic, and the characters are complex and well-developed. Watching the visionary villain protagonist Light Yagami and the mysterious and brilliant detective L's battle of wits is ten times more exhilarating than the standard actions scenes that pack entertainment today. The cat andDeath Note is, simply put, the best anime I've ever seen. The premise is fascinating, the plot is fantastic, and the characters are complex and well-developed. Watching the visionary villain protagonist Light Yagami and the mysterious and brilliant detective L's battle of wits is ten times more exhilarating than the standard actions scenes that pack entertainment today. The cat and mouse games they play are so well executed that the show becomes completely addictive very quickly. I recommend this over virtually any other anime, or western television show for that matter, with all my heart. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2011
    Death Note takes a route much different to most other anime. No doubt we have heard of standards settings in which the protagonist must fight as a hero but Death Note rewrites the rules with it's morally questionable anti-hero, Light. The battle between the two characters of Light and L is beautifully portrayed with stunning shocks and thrills along the way.
  5. Goq
    Jul 2, 2012
    Imagine one day you come across a notebook, but it
  6. May 19, 2014
    Death Note is smart, tense and sometimes (when it wants to) hilarious. It has to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. If you haven't already, WATCH THIS!!!
  7. Sep 3, 2010
    This is extremely well made anime. The plot of the show is unbelievable and the crazy cliff hangers will drive you nuts. The show is extremely addicting so be warned. Once you start the first episode you won't want to stop watching until you watched the entire series. The characters in the show are well developed and too and you will see yourself connecting with a lot of them. It is bestThis is extremely well made anime. The plot of the show is unbelievable and the crazy cliff hangers will drive you nuts. The show is extremely addicting so be warned. Once you start the first episode you won't want to stop watching until you watched the entire series. The characters in the show are well developed and too and you will see yourself connecting with a lot of them. It is best to watch the entire series before you watch the live action film. Yup death note is totally awesome and everybody should watch it. Expand
  8. Jun 6, 2011
    Amidst all of the reasons one might be pushed away from Japanese anime; like redundant writing, predictable characters, and silly and sometimes unwarranted "comedic skits," Death Note stands as one of the more refined. There are arguably more intellectual dialogues, let alone monologues, in one episode on Death Note than there are in most whole seasons of other modern Anime, and most ofAmidst all of the reasons one might be pushed away from Japanese anime; like redundant writing, predictable characters, and silly and sometimes unwarranted "comedic skits," Death Note stands as one of the more refined. There are arguably more intellectual dialogues, let alone monologues, in one episode on Death Note than there are in most whole seasons of other modern Anime, and most of them are as exhilarating, if not more so, than the best action scenes. Most other anime characters fight with brawn; the characters in Death Note fight with brains. The art direction is superb, and the plot is astoundingly original. Starting with a simple concept, the story direction is flipped up and around in so many different situations it makes other anime feel dull and one dimensional. The main character is so incredibly witty and talented that a single sentence spoken by him will leave you thinking for hours, while his leaning avidity for danger and ability to act calmly in the most twisted and ironic situations will have your jaw on the floor. If you are a fan of great story telling, not just anime, this is a must-see. If you have been dissatisfied with anime you have watched in the past, this will not bring the same feeling. Expand
  9. Aug 5, 2011
    I could write how awesome, intelligent, fascinating, complex, addicting, developed, stunning and thrilling this anime is. Or I could just ask you: What are you still doing here and reading? GO WATCH IT! You can't regret it.
  10. Nov 14, 2011
    Story: Death Note follows the story of Light Yagami, a seemingly normal high school student who has a bright future ahead of him. Of course that's to simple and boring so a being known as a Shinigami drops a magical book called the Death note. Well, it just so happens that Light Yagami finds the Death Note and decides to test its' supposed power of killing anyone who name's written downStory: Death Note follows the story of Light Yagami, a seemingly normal high school student who has a bright future ahead of him. Of course that's to simple and boring so a being known as a Shinigami drops a magical book called the Death note. Well, it just so happens that Light Yagami finds the Death Note and decides to test its' supposed power of killing anyone who name's written down while imagining their face. As it turns out the book is the real deal, and soon after finding this out, Light Yagami runs to his house to contemplate on what to do with his new found toy. He decides that he'll be the god of a new world that he'll create by killing anyone he deems unworthy of it and starts by killing off all the listed criminals in prison. It's not long after that the worlds' smartest detective, who mysteriously goes by "L", is on the case and searching for Light Yagami, or as he's known to the public, Kira. Death Note has amazing structure. The show is some what mystery orientated, even though you know what everyone else in show is trying to figure out, you're still kept on the edge of your seat trying to figure out how Kira will get out of each situation. Death Note also brings up some thought provoking notions about the right to judge people, no matter who they are or what they've done, and they do so very well. Characters: One of the aspects that truly brings the show to life are the characters. They're incredibly realistic for a show about super natural beings and things of that sort. You got the main character Light Yagami who makes the startling transformation from innocent high school student to mass murder throughout the course of the series, which is in my opinion one of, if not the most intriguing points of the series. Then there is L, the second most important character of the show. Who knew the worlds' greatest detective would be depressed looking diabetic? He's probably the most charismatic personality of the series and for sure my favorite. Last but not least is the side cast. They range from eccentric apple loving Shinigami, to dedicated police officers, to obsessive gothic chicks and some crazy dude named Mikami. All of which are well done and actually seem like believable characters. Animation: The animation is gorgeous. I wasn't too hot on the actual character design in the beginning, but it grew on me. Music: The openings are so so, but that one dramatic music that plays whenever someone comes to a realization of something is really cool. Voice Acting: The voice acting is superb in Death Note, never is there a dull moment. Fan Service: Surprisingly little for a newer anime. Misa is the only thing I can recall when it comes to fan service. Overall: Death Note is one of the best animes I've seen in recent memory. The series has a lot to offer and is deeper then most if not all animes to come out within recent years. With a compelling story and equally compelling cast, Death Note should be on your must watch list. Points of Interest: Mikami has an inhuman amount of blood in his body and I never knew someone could eat a potato chip so damn intensely. The scene where Light kills the FBI agents' girlfriend is the coldest thing I've ever seen. Expand
  11. Sep 12, 2012
    I don't think there will be an anime better then Death Note. Death Note is awesome. It is like mind battle.
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    Um dos melhores animes já feito, a história super bem montada os personagens são fenomenais e a trilha sonora interessante sem contar que o suspense fabuloso.
  13. Jul 27, 2014
    Death Note is a great show with incredible pacing and a fascinating moral complex that runs throughout, the likes of which are usually not tackled in animes or most tv shows, for that matter. The plot is intriguing, the characters are, for the most part, extremely engaging and the writing manages to conjure up huge tension-filled moments that not many shows have the ability to muster.
    The
    The premise is that a teenager named Light Yagami, an obvious cynic with a strong dissatisfaction for the world he lives in, finds a notebook called a Death Note. The Death Note was dropped into the human realm by a god of death, but it is no ordinary notebook. It has the power to kill any person the user pleases as long as the victim's name is written down and their face is known to the writer. Light utilises this power to cleanse the world of evil, as he starts to murder all the criminals he believes to be polluting the world. Obviously, this leads to the police getting involved, with the case being led by a mysterious detective who goes by the alias 'L'. This sets up a fierce cat and mouse game throughout the series between L and Light, as both of them attempt to uncover the other's identity.
    The way in which this chase to find Light or 'Kira' (meaning 'killer' in Japanese), as the media has dubbed him, becomes incredibly addictive to watch unfold and some of the plans used in order to catch Kira are devilishly clever. Most episodes, being only 20 minutes long, feel just the right length to contain a short, intelligent piece of the overarching story. The plot is constantly evolving with new characters being introduced, it is honestly a challenge to anticipate what is coming next. The voice acting is also superb as is the animation.
    However, what really keeps the show ploughing through at break-neck speed throughout its 37 episode run is the themes of good vs. evil addressed every few episodes. All the characters struggle to understand whether catching Light is so necessary if all he is doing is ridding the world of its bad inhabitants. The show never demands that you pick a side to stick up for, thus it allows you to watch the battle between the police and L and Kira and his followers unfold from a neutral perspective, making for a bitter-sweet feeling once you uncover the characters true fate at the end of the series.
    All in all this anime is a must watch. it is clever, it is dramatic and it is as unique as tv shows tend to come.
    As a side note, the manga version of this show is also excellent, I would advise that you read that aswell.
  14. Sep 12, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic series. Great animation. Brilliant and clever writing. Astounding and deep characters. I adore this series.

I know it's been said countless times before, but the show is only hampered by the last third after a certain event (if you've seen the show, you know what I'm talking about.) The last third isn't bad, it's just a bit underwhelming when compared the beginning of the show.

Overall:
    Even with a dilute last act, it's still a fantastic show.
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    Undoubtedly the deepest anime I have ever seen, with an amazing philosophical and psychological battle that takes up the entirety of the series. In addition, it contains some great plot twists and ingenious characters that make the series nearly impossible to get away from until the end.
  16. Jul 21, 2011
    An incredibly original and addictive show that is so radically different from the majority of other anime that it can't be missed. The plot is richly layered and the tension between the two leads is excellently maintained throughout. It is uncompromisingly intelligent, trusting in the viewer's ability to follow events. The logic surrounding the death note is well thought out and isAn incredibly original and addictive show that is so radically different from the majority of other anime that it can't be missed. The plot is richly layered and the tension between the two leads is excellently maintained throughout. It is uncompromisingly intelligent, trusting in the viewer's ability to follow events. The logic surrounding the death note is well thought out and is effectively weaved into the plot. Light makes a great anti-hero, a character we can't help but like even though we shouldn't. The character of L is a solitary genius, brilliantly written and totally unique. Death Note always knows where it's going and this creates an intricate yet condense show that is unlike anything else. Expand
  17. Oct 27, 2010
    Simply Astounding! This is probably the biggest Anime must watch since Naruto! Even the smallest Anime fans should watch This! Amazing plot twists, Heart pumping cliff hangers, and a story that makes it feel like a live action crime drama, a stunning plot, beautiful animation, and unforgettable characters! What more can u want from an Anime!?
  18. Oct 10, 2012
    One of the best anime I have ever seen. FYI I do not like mysteries, whodunits, etc. but Death Note was the exception. I couldn't help but know what happened in the next episode. Short and sweet= great anime.
  19. Dec 9, 2012
    Death note is really smart anime and very mysterious that let u live in another life while watching it but it have a bad ending I wish its different but still its awesome
  20. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Death Note is probably the best anime ever.The story is really good makes u finish watching it once u start watching it.May feel bad when L gets killed ,but when u have book that kill a person who's name is written on it not much can be done.Hence it was well written in every possible part. Expand
  21. Jun 21, 2011
    One of the most complicated, yet exciting stories ever. Light is super cool, and works out every situation professionally. He manipulates other characters to reach his goal like a pro.
  22. May 7, 2012
    I can not stress on how interesting, brilliant this anime series is. It also teaches you a life lesson on your decisions. Death Note stands as one of the best series I've seen and one of the darkest. It also makes puts you on the spot light on "what would you have done if you had this power?" My only problem with this series is that it went a little too fast. I could have definitively seenI can not stress on how interesting, brilliant this anime series is. It also teaches you a life lesson on your decisions. Death Note stands as one of the best series I've seen and one of the darkest. It also makes puts you on the spot light on "what would you have done if you had this power?" My only problem with this series is that it went a little too fast. I could have definitively seen this series in the 50's or 60's episodes. Especially with the new characters introduced towards the near end. Nevertheless, Death Note is a MUST watch anime. Period Expand
  23. Mar 27, 2013
    Hi ,

This anime a is masterpiece. I never see a better anime in intensity and suspense it s like a drug when you started this anime you can't stop at least until the first huge plot. After that it's different but this quality in an anime is unbelievable. Personnaly i watched while it was diffused in the Japan and i waited each episod with lot of impatience... Thanks for this anime i
    Hi ,

Thanks for this anime i will never forget it
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    Such a great anime, one of the best stories ever told and one of the anime is just something completely different, 10/10 one of the most interesting anime's i have ever seen, L FTW
  25. Sep 1, 2012
    It's the best anime I've ever seen. The story is so clever. Every character in this show is so original. I can't even put it into words of how much I love this show.
  26. Oct 29, 2012
    My personal favourite anime. It is a battle of wits from the beginning to the end, with L and Light's character design amazing. There were so many times when I cried from sadness, especially with the loss of a character who I did not expect to die. Amazing.
  27. Mar 30, 2013
    This is my favorite show. It's perfect. Well, almost perfect. It starts off nice, and continues smoothly. There are lots of plot twists and suspense along the way. It could have ended better, though. I won't spoil it for you, but it doesn't end too well. Also, watch the subbed version. Dubbed is crap. Or at least in English.
  28. Apr 26, 2013
    A bit overrated overall. but still, this is one show you *must* watch
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    This review will cover both 'seasons' of the show (as in the full series)

This review will cover both 'seasons' of the show (as in the full series)

Death Note is without a doubt the most popular anime out there, and not without a reason. On one hand, the animation is extremely well done (at least for the time it was made) and depicts the feelings of the characters perfectly. It also maximizes the dark feeling of the series. The voice acting and songs are good all around and fit the feeling of the series perfectly.

However, Death Note isn't perfect and it pales on character development (as their personalities remain static all the ride) and the last part of the show feels 'dumber' than the rest. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say that while the script is solid, it loses its 'touch' in the end and the conclusion of the story ends up being a bit predictable and far-fetched. It must also be noted that it would have been even more interesting had it gone a bit more in-depth regarding some of the psychological and ethical themes of the show, which are very interesting.

Scoring:

Animation: 10/10 (excellent all around except on a few moments)
    Sound: 9/10 (the voice acting and the songs are very good, though some voices can be annoying)
    Story: 8/10 (good but the conclusion isn't too solid and leaves a 'weird' feeling)
    Characters: 7/10 (their personalities are very cool but they aren't developed)
    Enjoyment: 8/10 (extremely enjoyable on its majority but it feels duller in the last part of the show)

Total: 8.4/10
  30. Dec 4, 2013
    Death Note is one of the hardest shows one can rate, it's divided into two seasons, one being very good and another quite bad.
    First let me say that I'm far from a fan of the "common" Japanese animation,but I will grant credits where they are deserved.

In the first season you see good characters in "mental" duels, extremely high quality mental games are played, probably among the best ever devised in the history of cinematography/animation. The complexity and in some cases the psychological brutality makes you really feel this show.

The second season introduces extremely poor characters, one might think that second season was all about making the show win a great audience among the younger animation fans, it turns out to be, by comparison with the first season, one of biggest disappointments ever "developed".

SEASON ONE:

Characters Personality 9
    There's some better than others but they look unique, something that is very rare in Japanese animation.

Characters Visual/Style 9
    Something rare in Japanese animation, people dressing like normal people, or at least not like total ridiculous retards, so a big win here, you don't need odd dresses and hairs to make appealing unique characters.

Plot/Story 10
    While its possible that some find something that doesn't make perfect sense here and there, the cheer quality of the mental games is just too good to give a 9.

Soundtrack 9
    Very good soundtrack, it fits into the show perfectly.

Overall 9

SEASON TWO:

Characters Personality 3
    Characters Visual/Style 2
    The show is brought into the usual animation standards, immature retarded characters without any appeal and high cliche personalities.

Overall 4
  31. Mar 15, 2014
    Great anime. Anyone who watches anime must watch this, as it is a masterpiece. It is not as good as the manga, but is still very great and everyone should watch this.
  32. Mar 11, 2014
    Awesome show. Simply loved it. Its a well written manga. Its depicts the mental battle of two smartest individuals to defeat the other and none of them likes to lose.
  33. Oct 2, 2014
    Brilliant. I'll give a list of pros and cons
    Pros
    Brilliant English dub
    Nice art
    GREAT story
    Long series

Cons
    Weak last quarter
    Terrible theme songs
  34. Oct 21, 2014
    These are the first words read in the Death Note by Light Yagami, a straight-A student who develops a god complex when he finds a notebook, dropped by shinigami Ryuk, that has the power to kill anyone whose name is written down in it. However, matters get out of hand when the Japanese Police Force tries to solve the case of the mysterious upsurge in criminal deaths alongside master detective L.
  35. Oct 20, 2014
    This is one the best and most engaging shows i have ever seen. it's so well written and animated and you will enjoy the characters no matter how despicable they are being. if you enjoy good storytelling and great character you owe it to yourself to watch this from start to finish
  36. Nov 16, 2014
    By far THE most engaging anime show I have ever seen! In fact, the most engaging TV show I've ever seen! After episode 25, though, not as much, but still very good.
  37. Dec 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Death note is the most serious, psychological, and concentrated anime ive ever seen, No fan service (except misa), no exaggerated anime styling (except misa), and most impressive. the dub was really good, dialed back only by language. the tenacity from both are equal. in all. its the most professional anime you'll find.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Also just, stop watching at episode 25, just assume Light won, L lost, And Kira is law.
  38. Mar 30, 2015
    Death note follows protagonist Light Yagami as he happens upon a notebook lying on the ground. Later he begins to reading through it and soon coming face to face with a demon Shinigami named Ryuk who is in possession of the death note. Light upon writing name down into the notebook can kill anyone he wants using any sort of causes of death, as long as he knows their name. Light takes thisDeath note follows protagonist Light Yagami as he happens upon a notebook lying on the ground. Later he begins to reading through it and soon coming face to face with a demon Shinigami named Ryuk who is in possession of the death note. Light upon writing name down into the notebook can kill anyone he wants using any sort of causes of death, as long as he knows their name. Light takes this as a sign to become the new god of this world, titling himself Kira, and killing hundreds of criminals. However the police force takes this as a serious crime, using one of the greatest detectives in the world named L (L lawliet) to try and stop Kira and end his rampage. Unfortunately Light is able to join the police force and use a shinigami to kill L. The following season would give use L's successors N (Nate River) and M codenamed mello (Michael Keel) to stop Kira. Expand
  39. May 18, 2015
    "Death Note" is a controversial anime show, controversial just for what is the main theme of the story. The mature approach of the subject (there is some humor though) is what makes the show so compelling and thought-provoking. The animation is great, one of the more detailed I have seen in animes. The music fits the somber aspect of the story well and feels no tiring. Characters in the"Death Note" is a controversial anime show, controversial just for what is the main theme of the story. The mature approach of the subject (there is some humor though) is what makes the show so compelling and thought-provoking. The animation is great, one of the more detailed I have seen in animes. The music fits the somber aspect of the story well and feels no tiring. Characters in the show are well constructed, and the relationship between the main characters is the most intriguing aspect, making an excellent case of the "cat and mouse" detective game. This is what makes "Death Note" so interesting despite some episodes can feel less compelling, like fillers, or despite some events are exaggerated, bordering into the unbelievable. Still "Death Note" is not just one of the best animes I have seen, it is also one of the best animated shows I have ever seen. It is not perfect but you won't regret having seen it all. Expand
  40. Jun 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Deathnote is definitely worth the watch. Suspense, action, a bit of romance, and a supernatural twist all pulled into one, well-made anime. The animation itself was amazing, and had slim to no flaws. Though the English dubbed version brings the rating down majority of the time, the scripting in this one, was wonderful. The actors for the English, and well as the original version, were well-picked, and made no mistakes. It would be a 10/10 rating, had it not done what it had to L. Though it prolonged the story, Mello and Near were not the best characters. Mello played basically no part, and Near seemed like he was only around 7 years old, and also seemed too cocky to have won in the end. L was a main character, and was much better off to have stayed alive. That, was the only flaw in this series. Expand
  41. Feb 23, 2016
    This is by far the best ever anime I ever seen. Characters, plot, everything is so awesome... Until episode 26.. After don't bother watching it... It loses interest.
  42. Jul 10, 2015
    This show is amazing! The entire show I was torn between if I was rooting for Light or against him, the ending especially is probably one of the best endings to anything I've ever seen because you're just confused and don't know what to think and I'll leave it to that.
  43. Jan 13, 2016
    Death Note is quite possibly the best show of all time. From start to finish it was absolutely spotless. The characters, story, presentation, and music were all spot on. Even if most people hate the ending, I think it was a very emotional, and very good way to end the series. If I could give Death Note a 110%, I would.
  44. Dec 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Death note is one of the best anime you could watch and you would have no regrets watching it.

It follows the story of a high school student named Light Yagami who encounters a notebook labeled Death Note which claims that it could kill people just by writing their name into it. When Light tries the Death note he decides what he is going to do with it, use its power to get rid of all criminals and make the world a better place under the name Kira however L, who is a detective who was known for solving mysteries in the past, tries to find out who Kira is and arrest him. the concept of the plot is good.

the OST is also good and it really fits with the theme of the show. the op 1 (The World - Nightmare) is great and every time I hear it i just can't help but head bang. op 1 also has godly depictions of light which also fits with the theme of the show since Light said he would become 'the god of the new world' however op2, it's not bad but it's also not good. if you search up Death note op2 in youtube, in the comment section you will always see people making fun of the lyrics of the song, people literally mishear the lyrics and for some reason I prefer op2 over op1.

Death note, like any other show, has it's flaws. the flaws in death note is the episodes after L's death and the ending. I think they should have handled it better, especially the ending. the ending is one of the worst anime endings ever. Light is confronted with Near and Mikami comes in and writes everyones name except light's name in the death note. everyone thinks they're going to die but then Near is like calm down, that's a fake death note. Light is like I knew that was your plan so I hid the real death note but then near is like we found that too. Light makes an attempted to kill Near with part of the death note hidden in this watch but before he could do so Matsuda shoots Light, Light goes away and later dies because the Ryuk, the Shinigami that left the Death note there in the first episode, writes Light's name in the death note because Ryuk told Light when it was Lights time to die, he would have to write his name in his death note.

overall this anime is great but it did get ruined by the second half of the series and the ending however if you push the second half away, this anime gets my recommendation.
  45. Sep 15, 2015
    Its just the best mysterious anime ever. It really helps oneself to think about what path they would choose if they were in Light's shoes ,and how would they manage to make the world a better place to live
  46. Jul 24, 2016
    death note es un anime en mi opinión muy bueno y recomendado una joya en este tipo de entremetimiento aun que se volvió algo aburrida después de que murió l en general es un buen anime
  47. Dec 4, 2015
    Great show to watch over the weekend. It starts off very interesting and pulls you in immeadetly and the the intro and outro songs are badass, as almost all anime songs are. It does start to get boring near the middle, but it comes back in the end, don't want to spoil it but it's crazy!!!!!!

There are no critic reviews yet.