• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 2, 2009
  • Season #: 1
7.3

1. Aug 22, 2010
    Poor writing, poor acting, despicable characters, and a supremely unrealistic story. Designing a manned mission to multiple planets in the solar system would be a scientific miracle (even in 2050), let alone one manned mission to one planet within our century. The science advisors to this show have clearly never cracked a textbook - it takes 3min for light to travel from Venus to the Earth but our Astronauts can make instant phonecalls to their loved ones to argue about such trivial matters as why a spouse on Earth "lied" to them. They explain artificial gravity (again a ridiculous idea) but where is our explanation for Faster than Light communication? This show is full of self-serving religious BS and it suggests an unrealistic & unethical future where abortion is illegal, yet sexual promiscuity is clearly popular behavior. The on-board physicist brought his comic book collection on a journey through the solar system - time to grow up kid leave the comics at home with Mom - I'm sure this may appeal to an adolescent viewer but I find it hard to believe that these people are going to successfully land on Venus let alone circumnavigate the solar system on some pseudo-religious adventure. This show is laughable. If it lasts a second season I will be very surprised Expand

Defying Gravity is a perfectly decent bit of sci-fi soap - some cool “Star Trek’’ futurism, plenty of pretty “Grey’s Anatomy’’ ensemble melodrama, and a twist of eerie “Twilight Zone’’ mysteriousness when characters refer to the high-tech spaceship as if it has a will of its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    Defying Gravity is taking its time to get off the ground, but I plan to tune in at least until Saturn.
  3. The first ep feels ridiculous; maybe it's the fact that despite being on a futuristic space mission, everyone acts like they're on "Private Practice." Then again, it's summer, and at least this isn't another cop/doctor show.