Defying Gravity : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Aug 2, 2009
7.3

1. MiyaG
    Aug 3, 2009
    It's been pretty intriguing for me somehow..a good one to kill time in this ....nice and hot summer time. Going to outerspace cools me down.
  2. MichaelS
    Sep 1, 2009
    Great show It's all about the people.
  3. adam
    Sep 6, 2009
    Perfectly fun "soft" sci-fi. it's pretty heavy too; abortion, climate change, and Israeli-Palestinian war are discussed.
  4. karen
    Aug 10, 2009
    I like it. I love the cool space idea... so much better than dark gloomy drug shows lately on tv. Only complaint I have.. the music is too loud. what should be background subtle blairs...can't hear the dialogue.
  5. CEE
    Aug 10, 2009
    I'm not ready to jump out of the air lock yet. Like what I've seen so far and I'm always willing to give a scripted show a chance to find its way to greatness.
  6. SueG
    Aug 3, 2009
    Totally enjoyed the show. I love sci-fi and continuing storylines like this and enjoyed the variety in the cast. Going back and forth between space and the crew's training years is a fun plot device. Can't wait for the next episode.
  7. RyanL
    Aug 5, 2009
    I am intrigued! This whole space soap opera thing is great. And the pool scene is filmed in my campus. How can I not like that. Eagerly awaiting the next episode.
  8. JonathanD
    Aug 5, 2009
    This is good show. You can occasionally pick out the narrative devices directly from other shows. Lost and Grey's being the main sources of borrowed devices but that isn't a necessarily a bad thing. Left me craving more.
  9. Tim
    Aug 6, 2009
    Great so far... hope it lasts.
  10. PerryT
    Sep 5, 2009
    If you enjoy the twist of LOST, then you should enjoy this space version. Story can be a little weak, though nothing glaring, but strong acting keeps it enjoyable
  11. DavidW
    Jan 3, 2010
    A great series of sci-fi action, with depth and visuals to please the geeks and the intellectuals. After a strong start DG gets a little slow and direction-less in the middle but the last four episodes are excellent with a fantastic finale.
  12. TomB
    Aug 11, 2009
    So far the soap opera elements haven't intruded on the mystery of the science fiction. Let's hope that it stays more like Lost in Space, season 1 and less like Grey's Anatomy.
  13. LenA.
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like it...a lot.
  14. DarrinT
    Aug 4, 2009
    I was hoping for more. Lose the musical montages. I love Lost but this seems like a cheap rip off. I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks in hopes it gets better. We need more quality space stories.
  15. CurtisF
    Aug 4, 2009
    Its like some did Star Trek: Enterprise without all the stupid Star Trek stuff. Im stoked for Scifi on network.
  16. TrevorG
    Aug 5, 2009
    Intriguing start. A little ridiculous with all the flashbacks, but I like the potential. Finally Ron Livingston gets a TV show!!!
  17. BJ
    Aug 6, 2009
    While I found a couple things a little silly (spit in your space suit to plug a leak - really?), I was able to suspend my disbelief (something we must always do with stories like this) and was overall intrigued and thoroughly entertained. Hope it sticks around. I'm tired of medical/cop drama.
  18. LoisC.
    Aug 9, 2009
    Excellent -- far better than shows it is being compared to, like Grey's Anatomy -- for network TV...Now that Battlestar Galactica is over and it will be months before Caprica starts, there is a decent space drama to see. Good! Hope it is not canceled.
  19. PaulR.
    Oct 1, 2009
    This show has the quality and production values of Lost, with the character driven Sci-fi mentality of Heros, combining to create the best new series on TV! A must see!
  20. WendyW
    Aug 10, 2009
    So far so good after 3 eps.....can't wait til next week! Definietly makes you want to see more.
  21. CharlesB.
    Aug 24, 2009
    Finally, a unique television show. The science admittedly has some flaws but at least it's not to the point of some other sci-fi shows. The cast works well together and the series backstory is intricate, well-developed, and intriguing. I concur that it is not perfect (but what show is?), and the sex could be done without, thank you very much; however, it is a superior show to most of Finally, a unique television show. The science admittedly has some flaws but at least it's not to the point of some other sci-fi shows. The cast works well together and the series backstory is intricate, well-developed, and intriguing. I concur that it is not perfect (but what show is?), and the sex could be done without, thank you very much; however, it is a superior show to most of this other crap I've been seeing lately. I sincerely hope that ABC doesn't cancel this thing. Expand
  22. ChrisK
    Aug 25, 2009
    One of the best shows on tv at the moment. Please don't cancel.
  23. Elizabeth
    Aug 26, 2009
    It intrigues me and I see real potential in this show.
  24. Chris
    Aug 3, 2009
    It's a pretty amazing show that certainly promises some great story development in future.
  25. MunnyR
    Aug 5, 2009
    Great first 2 episodes but seriously keep the fake hindu religious stuff out plzzzzzz!
  26. ToniI
    Sep 1, 2009
    I think that it is a though provoking show. It is a lot classier than a lot of the "reality" garbage that is pumped out of multiple networks. If the all of the flashbacks and flash forwards are confusing, as the critic from the Miami Herald stated, then maybe you should go back to tinker toys and linear story telling that doesn't make your brain hurt so much. So far, the storyline is I think that it is a though provoking show. It is a lot classier than a lot of the "reality" garbage that is pumped out of multiple networks. If the all of the flashbacks and flash forwards are confusing, as the critic from the Miami Herald stated, then maybe you should go back to tinker toys and linear story telling that doesn't make your brain hurt so much. So far, the storyline is intriguing and it makes me want to know more... which is what a good plot is supposed to do. However, I fear that the plug on this show will be pulled because it isn't as racy or intellectually mind-numbing as many other shows out there. Expand
  27. CarissaJ
    Sep 14, 2009
    I enjoy it and am very greatful it is not another idiotic reality show. To the critic of the Miami Herald,only a simple mind couldn't keep track.
  28. mikeD
    Sep 2, 2009
    It smacks a little of 2001. I keep trying to draw a parallel between "BETA" and HAL. I sispect there are many more surprises to come as they get farther from Earth.
  29. BrianB
    Sep 20, 2009
    Best character driven Sci-Fi on TV. Perhaps the ONLY character driven Sci-Fi on TV. If it were packaged with LOST it could reach the intended demographic in my opinion.
  30. ChrisV
    Sep 20, 2009
    It seems people over analyze or completely overlook stuff these days. Its a cool show with a neat story, why cant you just sit down and watch a damn tv show without nit picking at some confusing bit of information, or some obscure voice over, or a simple flashback.
  31. BillD
    Sep 22, 2009
    The show is entertaining. Is that not what shows are for? When I want real science or social psychology I turn to the Discovery Channel or the like; but, this is entertainment like Webber or McCaffrey. There is real room for Sci-Fi that escapes the bounds of cowboys in space.
  32. GrumpyP
    Sep 27, 2009
    Most critics are idiots with little clue for what the average people like. There are millions of science fiction fans out there who love this kind of show. And even more who can't stand the constant violent shows and shows that show common citizens as complete morons.
  33. BarceB
    Sep 7, 2009
    The Donner voice over seems really heavy handed this time around. Do audiences really need the fear the crew went through spelled out for them? I went back to watch the pilot... Wow, in the future abortion is illegal. I missed that part. But the flashbacks make the audience feel like the writers know how it's going to turn out.
  34. BekiR
    Sep 9, 2009
    I really like this show and wish ABC had invested more in the advertising of it. I found it on Hulu and now watch on Sundays.
  35. kadayiP
    Oct 26, 2009
    It took a few episodes to get going, but I must admit I quite got into this, purely as an entertaining TV shown. Certainly from a sci-fi perspective it's not all that deep, but the characters are likeable enough and their is good chemistry between the leads.
  36. MattJ.
    Aug 14, 2009
    Great show. Original is many ways. There are some preachy parts I could do without but it is done in an interesting way by trying to predict how culture will be in 40 years or so.
  37. KT
    Aug 17, 2009
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the show so far. I agree with some that it can be far fetched at times, but name me one TV show that isn't at times?! Unlike most TV shows on today with all one race characters, they mix up the races of the astronauts which is progressive, new, and needed. The sex scenes are a bit over the top and coul be toned down a bit. I hope the series continues because I have thoroughly enjoyed the show so far. I agree with some that it can be far fetched at times, but name me one TV show that isn't at times?! Unlike most TV shows on today with all one race characters, they mix up the races of the astronauts which is progressive, new, and needed. The sex scenes are a bit over the top and coul be toned down a bit. I hope the series continues because we need a break from the cop/medical dramas. Expand
  38. Jacob
    Aug 23, 2009
    Yes it's reminiscent of other shows (hi Grey's Anatomy). But considering it's cast, mysterious nature, and a nod to sci fi fans it's a collective show worth the shot. It will get better.
  39. sueh
    Aug 23, 2009
    This is good sci-fi. The acting is good, it is character rather than action driven - a nice change from all the csi,ncis clones, which while good shows have caused blood overdrive - writing is thoughtful and looks like they are using actual space shots blended in with cgi so skillfully all space shots look very real. I am very glad to see a new sci fi with good writing, and it certainly This is good sci-fi. The acting is good, it is character rather than action driven - a nice change from all the csi,ncis clones, which while good shows have caused blood overdrive - writing is thoughtful and looks like they are using actual space shots blended in with cgi so skillfully all space shots look very real. I am very glad to see a new sci fi with good writing, and it certainly needs to be given a chance - too many good shows have been yanked off before they got a chance to get going - like life on mars!!!! I would like to see where they go with this, I think it is already very good, and the actors are excellent. Expand
  40. ErikF
    Aug 25, 2009
    Great start that shows it has amazing potential.
  41. PatrickA
    Sep 13, 2009
    A great show. I really hope that ABC keeps it even though they announce episode 8 as the season finale. However they did not say it was the series finale.
  42. JessicaA
    Sep 18, 2009
    I love this show! Can't wait to see where it goes!!
  43. LukeS
    Nov 19, 2009
    Sure, the pop philosphy is cringe-worthy. Sure, the characters are farcical. Sure, the science doesn't add up and the fiction is trite; but there's something about the easy pace of this show that keeps willing me back. It's mindless TV under the thinest of intellectual veils and I like it. The jovial cut-backs, the non-threatening cleanliness of the set, the essentially Sure, the pop philosphy is cringe-worthy. Sure, the characters are farcical. Sure, the science doesn't add up and the fiction is trite; but there's something about the easy pace of this show that keeps willing me back. It's mindless TV under the thinest of intellectual veils and I like it. The jovial cut-backs, the non-threatening cleanliness of the set, the essentially likeable acting; I look forward to the next episode. Rarely am I drawn into American drama. With the exception of Generation Kill (the single best show on TV in years), I find it long-winded, poorly scripted, terribly acted (see Prison Break) and largely dull; but there's just something about Defying Gravity. Maybe it's down to Ron Livingston; where's he been since Office Space? Expand
  44. Sep 6, 2010
    I love this show! It is so disappointing that ABC never gave it a fair chance. It was broadcast with no advertising fanfare in the middle of the summer when most families are on vacation and not expecting new programming. This was a clever, well-acted show that was perfect family fare. I hope that some wrap-up book is offered to fill-in the gaps of the prematurely terminated series.
  45. Feb 12, 2013
    ok i read the critics. i can see the logic behind the poor reviews. however i was quite engrossed as it seems a lot of non-critics were. does this mean that we the public are a little dim, or that the critics are too critical? maybe both. for me it just reminds that you can still get good value out of something others may find lacking. are my needs imature or silly when it comes took i read the critics. i can see the logic behind the poor reviews. however i was quite engrossed as it seems a lot of non-critics were. does this mean that we the public are a little dim, or that the critics are too critical? maybe both. for me it just reminds that you can still get good value out of something others may find lacking. are my needs imature or silly when it comes to entertainment? probably, that doesn't change the fact that i really enjoyed this show. Expand
  46. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really liked it overall but too many flashbacks and drunk driving in a late 2000 Chevy truck 50 years from now I sure hope not. I wish there were additional seasons because I like the characters. Expand

Defying Gravity is a perfectly decent bit of sci-fi soap - some cool “Star Trek’’ futurism, plenty of pretty “Grey’s Anatomy’’ ensemble melodrama, and a twist of eerie “Twilight Zone’’ mysteriousness when characters refer to the high-tech spaceship as if it has a will of its own.
    Defying Gravity is taking its time to get off the ground, but I plan to tune in at least until Saturn.
  3. The first ep feels ridiculous; maybe it's the fact that despite being on a futuristic space mission, everyone acts like they're on "Private Practice." Then again, it's summer, and at least this isn't another cop/doctor show.