8.6

1. Jun 27, 2015
    The show is a hell of a lot of fun. At first, as someone from the West,it's tough getting our bearings on the East/West German thing, and keeping alliances straight. But in a way, it's a nice companion piece to The Americans, in that the main characters are not your traditionally sympathetic protagonists. You're "rooting" for people who are the traditional enemies. But it makes thingsThe show is a hell of a lot of fun. At first, as someone from the West,it's tough getting our bearings on the East/West German thing, and keeping alliances straight. But in a way, it's a nice companion piece to The Americans, in that the main characters are not your traditionally sympathetic protagonists. You're "rooting" for people who are the traditional enemies. But it makes things fun and fresh. Expand
  2. Jun 20, 2015
    I found the first episode very well acted and directed. I found many improbable situations but I also found this in the beginning of "The Americans" which I love. "The Americans" continued to improve each year as I hope "83" will. When "The Americans" first started they researched for the best sub-titles since they would be used often. "Deutschland 83" should have done the same. TheI found the first episode very well acted and directed. I found many improbable situations but I also found this in the beginning of "The Americans" which I love. "The Americans" continued to improve each year as I hope "83" will. When "The Americans" first started they researched for the best sub-titles since they would be used often. "Deutschland 83" should have done the same. The subtitles are horrible. They almost ruined the program for me. White on white really? Better watch on a big screen because the subtitles, tiny as they are, will get lost on a small one. I watch many foreign films and TV shows and these are by far the worst in history!!!!! That is a real shame. The awful subtitles are a terrible distraction because you have to strain to read them. Very good show except for the sometimes strained reality and the awful subtitles. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2015
    After hearing about this online I was wondering how an all German language spy thriller could ever play out in North America, I would watch it but I know a lot of people who switch stations as soon as they see a sub come up witch is to bad. Now about the show, I've only seen one episode but WOW..I loved it. It's great to see this subject being portrayed by the nation that went through itAfter hearing about this online I was wondering how an all German language spy thriller could ever play out in North America, I would watch it but I know a lot of people who switch stations as soon as they see a sub come up witch is to bad. Now about the show, I've only seen one episode but WOW..I loved it. It's great to see this subject being portrayed by the nation that went through it and doing it so well and with a rye sense of humor. I can't wait to see what happens with the relationships with General Edel his family and Martin. It looks like he's already feeling guilty about spying on him. Everyone becomes a person once you get to know them right. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2015
    This show is excellent. Great German actors, great plot & accurate historically speaking. Got me hooked straight away! A must see for everyone. Love it!
  5. Dec 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought that Deutschland 83 was well made and kept me engaged. I found the acting to be top notch and the story totally believable. I was in Germany in 1983 and was in the US Army, some of the events in this story, I was present for and remember well. It was nostalgic, accurate and worth the watch. I give this mini-series ten stars, a knife and a fork and two thumbs up.

I hope that they will view the success of Deutschland 83 as an indicator that the United States is a market for German shows. Oh, the Generals Daughter and Martin's Fiance, are SMOKING HOT! I could look at more of them being hot.
  6. Jun 28, 2015
    Cold war meets 80's retro! Deutschland 83 offers viewers a cool independent spy series, following a young East German soldier who infiltrates West Germany during the nuclear arms race. He is vulnerable and naive, which makes it easy for the cold war agency to brainwash him by using patriotic guilt, propaganda and fear tactics. It will be an underrated creative Sundance Channel originalCold war meets 80's retro! Deutschland 83 offers viewers a cool independent spy series, following a young East German soldier who infiltrates West Germany during the nuclear arms race. He is vulnerable and naive, which makes it easy for the cold war agency to brainwash him by using patriotic guilt, propaganda and fear tactics. It will be an underrated creative Sundance Channel original classic, drowned out by the major networks. Expand
  7. Aug 6, 2015
    Just completed the first season and what an incredible roller-coaster ride it was! Nail-biting, riveting, and compelling. I have grown to love The Americans, but this show is like Americans on speed. Packs more suspense, tension, and spine-tingling moments in 8 episodes than Americans does in 13. 100% worth watching and I hope there is more to come!
  8. Aug 9, 2015
    This is my first ten, and I don't even like listening to German. This goes beyond don't-miss television -- it should be required viewing in history classes and at independent film festivals alike. The ensemble cast is tightly directed to deliver credibility in what was an unbelievable time in world history. Ludwig Trepte shines in a demanding pivotal role linking several story arcs.This is my first ten, and I don't even like listening to German. This goes beyond don't-miss television -- it should be required viewing in history classes and at independent film festivals alike. The ensemble cast is tightly directed to deliver credibility in what was an unbelievable time in world history. Ludwig Trepte shines in a demanding pivotal role linking several story arcs. Costuming and locations are spot-on, and the series encapsulates the terror and the excitement of that year perfectly. The realism particularly of the atmosphere, offices, technology and mindset of the East German security agency bureaucrats of that era is poignant and so very well done. Highest praise. I'd be surprised if producers aren't eyeing an American re-make. Brilliant. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2015
    solid acting, great story, and a different language - all make this an engrossing complement to the equally outstanding "The Americans" - Bravo Sundance! Bring on season 2
  10. Dec 22, 2015
    Very enthralling and overall fun show that can draw anyone in, even if they don't like German language series or even spy media. An absolute must see.
  11. Feb 8, 2016
    It's rare to see a series that leaves on wanting more & more. Looking forward to Deutschland 84, 85, etc... all the way to Deutschland 91. A chance to re-live the closing of the cold war through the "enemy's" eyes.
  12. Aug 5, 2016
    It's a fine plot-driven program. The story arc is believable, the characters behave as you think they should, and the setting really feels like 1983. I enjoyed the first half of the season more than the second half, but it's all worth a watch. It kept my interest throughout.

1. Reviewed by: Aaron Passman
    Jun 19, 2015
    A German-language spy thriller cut from the same cloth as The Americans.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jun 17, 2015
    The show manages to juggle suspense with light moments without spoiling either mood.
  3. Reviewed by: Genevieve Valentine
    Jun 17, 2015
    Deutschland 83 is a stylish take on the spy genre that carefully balances its humor with high stakes, and with Nay as an anchor, promises that this is a spy caper worth a few summer weeks.