Dexter : Season 3

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.1

1. Apr 2, 2013
    After a fantastic ending to the second season hopes were high for the third and yet again the writers and cast deliver. This time around the show focuses more heavily on Dexter's gradually character development and desire to be accepted by someone for who he really is.

This certainly makes season three different as many of the major developments involve Dexter's personal life but it is no less intense and and almost as entertaining as the first two seasons.
  2. Sep 29, 2015
    The best parts of this show center around Dexter struggling with realizing just how human he actually is. This season explores those elements even deeper. His love/family life takes some shocking turns and begins to develop an actual friendship with someone who is in on some of his dark secrets. Yet even when Dexter's life is at it's most interesting, side-characters new and old are ableThe best parts of this show center around Dexter struggling with realizing just how human he actually is. This season explores those elements even deeper. His love/family life takes some shocking turns and begins to develop an actual friendship with someone who is in on some of his dark secrets. Yet even when Dexter's life is at it's most interesting, side-characters new and old are able to steal the show from time to time.

Jimmy Smits is awesome as the new character Miguel Prado. His backstory and relationship with Dexter makes him just as compelling as the title character. Every moment these two are onscreen together is incredible. They have fantastic chemistry and it's their stories that make this season so electric even if it is slower than the previous two overall.

Jennifer Carpenter is just as fantastic as ever as Dexter's sister "Debra." Her role in the show is only increasing and that's for the better. Debra is a fantastic character who's plots are just as interesting as the main character's even if they hit the same beats each season so far with a focus on relationship drama. The more from her, the better.

It's slower, sure. However the writing is still fantastic and has some shocking twists and turns in areas you wouldn't expect them. Some of the more minor side-characters are given a little bit more to do, but it's mostly still the main cast that shines. A lot of the more miniscule plots surrounding Dexter's coworkers don't really go anywhere. That's okay because with a dynamic as exciting as Dexter's and new character "Miguel Prado" you want every moment to focus on them. This season delivers something exciting and fresh with it's main plot, rather than falling back on what made the previous seasons a success. It's all the better for it.
  3. Feb 1, 2016
    Season 3 of Dexter is the best-yet, offering the most variety the series has ever seen. Dexter having to juggle a "partner in crime" with personal life changes is what makes this a great season. The show continues to grow on me, and I think it's going to become classic for me soon.
  4. Nov 1, 2010
    Fast becoming my favorite tv series. Can't wait to see season 4. I noticed the critics ratings dropped a little between series 2 & 3. I disagree. I think the show just keeps getting better.
  5. Sep 1, 2015
    We find our favorite serial killer settling in as something other than the monster he proclaims to be, which is why Dexter's third season is more reliant on its new characters than its solid story to fill the bill. But with a brilliant performance from Michael C. Hall and the show's haunting visuals, nothing really sticks out as a problem.
  6. Nov 2, 2010
    Probably the weakest Season of the show, but that just tells you how good Dexter is. The poorest season is better than most of the crap in Network TV. Still a very enjoyable season with Dexter dealing with his "student" and the troubles that creates for him.
  7. Apr 8, 2011
    This was my least favorite season, besides season 5, but it's still a 10! Another great plot, great acting, great twists and lots of tension. Loved every minute of it and the new characters they added.
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season of Dexter was also extremely good. The plot isn't quite as gripping or unique as in the previous two season but on all other counts the show is just as successful. Miguel's character is also very interesting as you get to see all of his layers peal away to reveal what he really is on the inside making for a very interesting dynamic between him and his temporary partner Dexter. Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Prado brings this season down, as his character is stupid and unlikable; however, Dexter himself is still captivating to watch. It is the main character here who keeps the show one of the very best on TV.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    A great season again. It is getting more interesting and suspenseful as it goes on. The writing is really funny and dramatic at the same time. But they balance those 2 well. Still a great show.
  11. Aug 15, 2013
    Season 3 retreads old ground and introduces some of the least interesting and most frustrating supporting characters throughout the course of the series.
    Michael C. Hall continues to impress with his astounding performance, but season 3 is in the bottom half of the seasons Dexter has offered up yet.
  12. Nov 27, 2013
    A originalidade come├ža a fica defasada mas, a serie ainda tem um personagem altamente afetivo que cativa o publico com sua frieza angelical, Dexter ainda encanta apesar da queda de qualidade.
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    This is one of the weaker season of Dexter. Its still great, and much better in retrospect. This season revolves around Dexter befriending a man named Miguel, who is also the assistant DA. After some events Dexter teaches him how to kill. Jimmy Smits was incredible as Miguel and the plotline, was incredible. The Main problem with this season is the cop story line. They are looking for aThis is one of the weaker season of Dexter. Its still great, and much better in retrospect. This season revolves around Dexter befriending a man named Miguel, who is also the assistant DA. After some events Dexter teaches him how to kill. Jimmy Smits was incredible as Miguel and the plotline, was incredible. The Main problem with this season is the cop story line. They are looking for a serial killer called the Skinner, the problem is that the Skinner is a very uninteresting, weak villain. The other problem is that the only excellent episodes are 9,10 and 11. This is still a very strong season, but still a step-down from Season 2.
    7.5/10
  14. Jan 9, 2012
    This season is, in my opinion, underrated. It has some really nice twists, Miguel is a great character, who is not who you expected him to be. Dex goes through changes as he proposes to Rita and she's pregnant, and actually thinks it's possible for him to have a friend. So this season has a lighter atmosphere than the last ones, but this was important for Dexter's development as aThis season is, in my opinion, underrated. It has some really nice twists, Miguel is a great character, who is not who you expected him to be. Dex goes through changes as he proposes to Rita and she's pregnant, and actually thinks it's possible for him to have a friend. So this season has a lighter atmosphere than the last ones, but this was important for Dexter's development as a character. The serial killer is really dangerous as always, with a cool signature, but isn't really explored as a character, but what's interesting about him is he thinks he's doing the killing for a reason, but he really just has a dark passenger like Dex. Expand
  15. Oct 8, 2010
    Season 3 is by the far the best so far, obviously you cant beat the greatness of the original series, BUT you can appreciate how dark and deep this one gets keeping you on the edge of your seat really badly at some moments. Rita is developing into the most annoying character. the situations that dexter is caught in are white knuckle rides of anticipation of the result.
  16. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more, it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  17. Oct 28, 2012
    While this season is still good, it was missing a certain je ne sais quoi the first two seasons were abundant with. Dexter finding a friend that he can actually trust brings a dynamic that makes the season still worth watching.
  18. Jun 11, 2015
    Underrated season. While everyone gushes about how awesome 2 and 4 were, and how very good 1 was. Everyone seems to forget just how good season 3 really was. Yeah, there was some annoying things. Some weird character actions. But I think the complete season is the most watchable on a casual level, y'know? By that, I mean that it's the least plot-driven of them all, and it's more like itsUnderrated season. While everyone gushes about how awesome 2 and 4 were, and how very good 1 was. Everyone seems to forget just how good season 3 really was. Yeah, there was some annoying things. Some weird character actions. But I think the complete season is the most watchable on a casual level, y'know? By that, I mean that it's the least plot-driven of them all, and it's more like its own arc. I think you could sit down any person and have them just watch season 3 and they wouldn't be lost and they would enjoy themselves. But season 2 or 4? People would struggle without previous knowledge and might end up loathing those seasons.

Best Episode(s): If I Had a Dream/All in the Family.
    Worst Episode: Our Father.
  19. Aug 20, 2011
    I honestly felt like I had to sit through most of the season and I lost interest a couple of times. Dexter seemed to jump the shark a little bit, coming off more as an action hero and the new characters, especially the main villain, didn't do it for me. That being said, it still had plenty of good moments that make it worth watching all the way through.
  20. Aug 17, 2011
    It is imo second best season of Dexter to date. The twist with Dexter thinking about his father`s code throughout the whole season is very attractive, as we see him developing his personality and questioning his motives and purpose of his life. He has to decide if he wants to be a "normal" person and , most of all, if he is able to actually be one. He is acompanied by Miguel Prado, aIt is imo second best season of Dexter to date. The twist with Dexter thinking about his father`s code throughout the whole season is very attractive, as we see him developing his personality and questioning his motives and purpose of his life. He has to decide if he wants to be a "normal" person and , most of all, if he is able to actually be one. He is acompanied by Miguel Prado, a Miami DA who is also a very interesting character. Interactions of those two play the most part in this season which leads to a powerful ending. Some fine twists. Great acting by Michael C. Hall as always, but same also by Jennifer Carpenter, Jimmy Smits and David Zayas. Expand
  21. Apr 13, 2013
    Really enjoyable to watch, but plot- wise kind of lacks what made seasons 1 and 2 so brilliant.
    Feels like the main plot idea behind the series kind of got used up for the first seasons while this one is something they simply came up with to be able to continue the series. Well written? Yes. Brilliant? No.
  22. Jun 28, 2011
    Season 3 is junk compared to the first 2 seasons. Worst guest star of all time goes to Jimmy Smits, one of the worst actors to make a name for himself on tv (oddly enough David Caruso is at the top of this list, wtf cast NYPD Blue? Bunch of complete crap actors except for D Franz...). Plot is over the top unbelievable, with Dexter's secret identity somehow not being compromised no matterSeason 3 is junk compared to the first 2 seasons. Worst guest star of all time goes to Jimmy Smits, one of the worst actors to make a name for himself on tv (oddly enough David Caruso is at the top of this list, wtf cast NYPD Blue? Bunch of complete crap actors except for D Franz...). Plot is over the top unbelievable, with Dexter's secret identity somehow not being compromised no matter who he kills. This season was a major step backwards, but luckily Season 4 rocks some socks. Expand
  23. Sep 15, 2013
    After one season and my favorite second season, 3'rd looks poor, but after 5 episodes season becomes much more interesting, but anyway worse than previous.
  24. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dexter season 3, while being the least interesting season of the show thus far, still has some highlights (there is no such thing as a "bad" season of Dexter, but it does not quite stand up to seasons 1 and 2.)

Starts out interesting enough-Dexter kills the wrong guy! Who happens to be the brother of the ADA. That's the good part. The bad part is this ADAS is played by Jimmy Smits-who I had trouble buying into all season long.

The rest of the cast shined brightly in season 3-although Batista's romance with the vice-cop seemed forced, and vanished as soon as the season ended.

But, the centerpiece of the season is Dexter's relationship with Miguel Prado. I did find it difficult to believe that Dex would be so quick to let him in to his dark world-and he indeed learned at the end that it was a very bad idea. The red-herring of the bachelor party kidnapping was perfectly done, as we knew the Skinner was on his trail. Speaking of that though-I had a VERY difficult time believing that Prado and the Skinner would be in cahoots. That may have been the low-point of the season crow-barred in just to keep the tension going throughout the 12 episodes.

I did like the storyline about Deb and Anton. She did seem happy there for a short time. Quinn came across as a jerk, but not nearly the total a%$hole that Doakes was.

All in all-the least amazing of all of Dexter's seasons I would say. It was hard to buy into Jimmy Smits as the "big bad" but still lots of good fun to be had. The show MORE than redeemed itself 10 x over with the following season.
  25. Independentopia
    Oct 16, 2008
    Bar none, the best show currently on Television. Michael C. Hall is one of the more underrated working actors today...he's brilliant.
  26. DanielS.
    Nov 9, 2008
    The best show I've ever seen.
  27. PaoloD
    Dec 2, 2008
    A little slow at times, nonetheless is still terrific brainwork in relating to the main character. Plus, there is all the emotional extras of a "maybe" father and spouse.
  28. MichaelM
    Dec 6, 2008
    This show amazes me. At the end of each season I think "wow, they will never top THAT" and yet each season only gets better. Definately the best show on TV.
  29. ZackaryS.
    Oct 7, 2008
    One of the best shows on TV. If you miss this then you really do deserve to have your foot chewed off by a dog... or better yet get butchered by dexter and thrown in the ocean.
  30. DougS
    Jan 2, 2009
    Dexter raises the bar season after season. In his showdown with the 'Skinner' Dexter shows that he is the biggest bad ass there is. And Deb has gone from a damsel in distress in Season 1 I can't wait for season 4!

Should we actually trust his actions over what he says as a true indicator of who he really is? It does not seem that the writers of the show have discovered this apparent problem in their storytelling, but it certainly could be something worth exploring in the coming season.
    Dexter is real, all right. Real good.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    With the larger narrative diminished, what remains are the smaller moments. There Hall's terrific performance--full of sly wit and contradictions--elevates the show