• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
9.0

1. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more, it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  2. Sep 22, 2010
    An instant favorite for fans of serial-killer drama and plot twists.
    Micheal C. Hall is also an amazing actor in this series.This season in my opinion the best one behind Season 2.
    Simply Awesome entertainment
  3. Oct 8, 2010
    i really enjoyed this season with dexter contending with a mirror image of himself. Rita is by fair a cow in this one and i cant stand any moment she is in it. i think deb's character is tired and old. and dotes was replaced with a lesser character. still good through and through and still kept me coming back for more
  4. Aug 21, 2011
    I always said that season 2 was the best... indeed it is one, but now the events of season 4 makes it right to the top. It starts really well and it ends shockingly.
    Warning: Remember Dexter is not a series for everybody.
  5. Nov 2, 2010
    Season 4 picks up again improving from Season 3 which to me was the weakest season so far. This season we have a very interesting bad guy and a finale nobody saw coming.
  6. Dec 13, 2010
    It is probably because of John Lithgow's great performance, that this season is nearly as good as season 1. I was hoping for a great antagonist and I got one, also the story was really smoothly written and gripping. This season was a pleasant surprise after the previous one in which I think the writers got a little lost.
  7. Dec 17, 2010
    Season 3 could have concluded Dexters story as he sailed on into the sunset with a family he loves, and a dark side that's supplemented by righteousness. But such is the appreciation for reality above fantasy in the script, it keeps going, and in doing so loses none of it's momentum, gearing up for something mesmorisingly epic.

By the end, i could confidently say i'd never watched
    anything better on the television than this delightful frightful show. Expand
  8. Dec 19, 2010
    The best season yet of Dexter, performance of the year on TV from John Lithgow and the rest of the cast were not bad either. Amazing plot, superbly written and fantastically shot, this was in my opinion the best TV series of '09.
  9. Aug 17, 2011
    Another excellent season. Mostly because of Arthur Mitchell character (outstanding performance from John Lithgow). Be warned that first 3-4 episodes are slow, maybe even boring. Nothing is happening. You would think that season should be rated lower as it is a bit uneven. Thankfully, the story becomes a strong thriller from the 5th ep. As in the 3rd season, in this one we also have some complicated personalities and we never really know what will happen next. It gets scary and brutal at the same time. Very strong finale with twists and endless questions. Expand
  10. Apr 8, 2011
    What's with these MORONS that keep saying that Dexter is the same thing over? That Dexter ALWAYS befriends a psycho and then has to kill him? That happen in ONLY two seasons. You guys need to pay attention, instead of mindlessly shouting out your dislike for a show that you can't just enjoy. This is my favorite season of Dexter. I really loved the return of a certain character and twisted ways of a new one. But I will forever wear my tshirt in memory and always keep that certain someone in my heart! I MISS ************* I couldn't believe it. My mouth dropped wide open and I was in shock. As much as I hated the writers for doing that, I love them just as much. Very bold. Expand
  11. May 24, 2011
    As Creepy as this season was, and how graphic.... John Lithgow Was amazing so amazing Most shocking from beginning to end... You were always on the edge of your seat. You always wondered if he was gonna get caught or not... Such great writters, and cast.... I keep loving this show. I hope it lasts 10 seasons.
  12. Jun 28, 2011
    John Lithgow saves this season. Just as Dexter is going far too far into the domestic toilet, and yet getting away with the most unbelievable crap in Season 3, Lithgow pulls one of the most evil performances of a career made on evil performances (and one crap "comedy" tv show) and blows everything you expected out of the water. Season 3 dragged with that awful excuse of an actor (you know who) sharing top guest star billing, but Season 4 was fantastic. Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2011
    Best Season of all time, best finale of all time...I mean the writers did such an amazing job, Michel perfect as usual , the trinity killer added a lot of thrilling to the show, if you didn't watch it you're missing out
  14. Jan 9, 2012
    The best season after the 1st one. Edge of your seat throughout the last 3-4 episodes, the relationship between Dex and Trinity is amazing, Trinity is also a very interesting, rich character, who is appaled by what he's doing. Dex also evolves, as he becomes more human, and has to find a way to deal with his family life, married, three kids, and also continue to do what he does... Amazing ending as well, shocking actually. John Lithgow and Michae C. Hall had amazing chemistry. Lundy also returns, and Deb also has a much bigger role in this season, which I liked. Expand
  15. Oct 26, 2012
    There is a reason why everyone says the show is at it's peak through out season 4. It's by far my favorite season and it was perfect from start to finish. Definently makes up for the poor quality of the previous 2 seasons imo.
  16. Mar 13, 2012
    I've been powering through the DVD's of Dexter over the past couple months, and Season 4 is the best yet in my opinion. The entire season has so much momentum, and the final 3-4 episodes are gripping to say the least. The Trinity Killer is my favorite character outside of the core cast for all the seasons. The Ice Truck Killer was integral to the entire series, but John Lithgow plays the Trinity role flawlessly. He is creepy and completely unpredictable. Anybody who claims they knew what he would do next is full of s***. It was also very nice to see Keith Carradine's character (Lundee) come back too, as he is also one of my favorite characters. There's A LOT going on in this season. The final two minutes delivers a complete gut punch to the viewer too. I'm already pumped to get Season 5 going to see which direction it will go. Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Straightly Speaking, the greatest season of a t.v. show ever. It took a challenging concept and made it one of the most twisted, character centered, artistic, and beautiful series of episodes in T.V. show history. The narration was perfect. Everything added in the exact in the right place. The idea of a monster, a serial killer, trying to live a normal suburban life, seems so rediculous, and yet feels so right, since we as the audience believe we know Dexter, and know the good inside him. Unfortunately, with every chance he gets, we finally, for the first time since Season 1, see a villain who's life resembles Dexter's. But when we do, we know that his pursuit at a normal life, that seemed to covered in gold in Season 3, can only end in one way; tragedy. Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2012
    It's safe to say that season four was the best season yet. I found it to have more suspense & more development in Dexter's character. John Lithgow has to be one of the creepiest serial killer to ever grace a television show. I loved every second of this season!
  19. Jul 27, 2013
    Absolutely an amazing season. Arguably the best one out of all the seasons. Lithgow's performance as Trinity is horrifying and gripping at the same time. You can't take your eyes of the screen during this entire season. It is the first Dexter season that is truly shocking and horrifying at many different times. At several moments you can't help but feel a little sick or cry a little. This season is amazingly done. Plain and simple. Expand
  20. Jul 16, 2012
    this is the best season of this show....the creators of the show outdid themselves with this season...i doubt they will make a season as good as this before the show is over.
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    After not too pleased third season. This season became for me a surprise. Perfect villain, interesting story with such a plot twists, shock ending, and great acting John Lithgow.
  22. Oct 28, 2012
    BEST SEASON SO FAR! John Lithgow is incredible as the Trinity Killer and the absolutely incredible "edge of your seat" finale, I don't know how any season could surpass this one.
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    Utterly brilliant. Lithgow's character is nearly as compelling as Dexter himself. Every subplot is juicy as hell. Dexter 4, is, truly, the best single season every aired on television. Ever.
  24. Dec 1, 2012
    I found season 4 to be as awesome as season 1. After struggling through season 3 (which I actually gave up after episode 4 for a long while), I was in no mood to subject myself to another ordeal. But just for old times' sake, I decided to give the premiere a shot. The score speaks for itself.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season was brilliant, but not completely flawless. The beginning few episodes meander and plod along, only to be saved by tantalizing glimpses of the ultimate "big bad" John Lithgow as the Trinity Killer.

The season really picks up and does not let go once Dexter realizes that Trinity is a family man (albeit with a dysfunctional family). It also serves to mirror Dexter's own hopes and fears.

The secondary story of LaGuerta and Batista's romance did not quite work so well for me, as it's only purpose seemed to be to cause political conflict with the higher-ups at the police dept.

But no worries, as anyone who has seen this season knows-the last 2 minutes of the final episode make up for any shortcomings this season might have had. I recall watching Dexter dispatch of Trinity in the trash bags in the ocean thinking "there's still a lot of time left here." The twist at the end of that episode left reverberations that are still being felt as the show enters its 8th and final year.
  26. Aug 15, 2013
    One of the strongest seasons in the series, season 4 places Dexter in a unique situation, for a serial killer, as his life develops a deeper connection to the people who began as mere cover ups in his deeply layered web of secrets.
    Here we are introduced to Arthur Mitchell, Dexter's most disturbed foe in the series thus far. The writing is still darkly comic, nobody is as they seem, the
    season is hardly short of thrills, and it all comes down to a jaw dropping conclusion none of us could see coming. Expand
  27. Sep 24, 2013
    This is one of the greatest seasons of television ever. Why. John Lithgow as one of the best villains of all time. The Trinity Killer. This season revolves around Dexter, and Miami metro hunting him down. The plot in intense as hell and the last 4 episodes are some of the greatest ever. and this season has one of the biggest shocker in television history.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    Holy crap. I can't give spoilers but, that finale was so intense. Half way threw the show now. I just hope the last 4 seasons can be as good as the first 4.

Thankfully, this season Dexter continues to play with our moral bearings, which is the show’s best quality.
  2. Reviewed by: Paige Wiser
    The series is as compulsively watchable as ever, with Dexter's marriage, stepchildren, newborn son and stifling suburban life complicating his leisure time.
    Dexter’s life as a suburban dad feels claustrophobic, and the show has become repetitive and predictable.