• Network: Showtime
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.9

1. JimP
    Nov 11, 2009
    John Lithgow is suitably creepy as the Trinity Killer and Jennifer Carpenter's character (as Dexter's sister) is equally irritating (as usual). I'm a big Keith Carradine fan, so that doesn't hurt either. So far, so good.
  2. BobT
    Oct 26, 2009
    As good as the first two seasons! Season 3 was still good, but was kind of a letdown after the first two - now it's clear it was setting up a lot for the next three seasons, especially Dexter's marriage and family. John Lithgow is excellent...it's a tribute to both his acting and the writing (as sharp and tight as ever) that many of his scenes have only three or four lines As good as the first two seasons! Season 3 was still good, but was kind of a letdown after the first two - now it's clear it was setting up a lot for the next three seasons, especially Dexter's marriage and family. John Lithgow is excellent...it's a tribute to both his acting and the writing (as sharp and tight as ever) that many of his scenes have only three or four lines of dialogue, but resonate deeply and give you the creeps (especially a scene where Lithgow picks a fight behind a bar). My only complaint is that Deb's boyfriend Anton continues to get less and less interesting (their subplot was the weakest thing in season 3) and Rita seems relegated to the old "ball and chain" role this season as Dexter's wife. But things may get more interesting. Expand
  3. Apr 8, 2014
    I love this show but I feel like the writers are getting lazy (as of season 4 anyway). The show is becoming too formulaic with frequently re-used plot devices. I have a lot more seasons to get caught up on but I can't help but thinking this is another show that should have only been a couple seasons. Is it really so common for Miami cops to sleep with murderers? Who on this show hasn't?
  4. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more, it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  5. BryanT
    Nov 30, 2009
    For anyone who has seen the ninth and tenth episode of this season knows its a 10 rating.
  6. DanielL
    Nov 14, 2009
    Although it is impossible to achieve the originality of season 1, this season is back on par with season 1. Season 3 slipped a bit but season 4 is just as intense and compelling as ever.
  7. Jun 15, 2012
    It's safe to say that season four was the best season yet. I found it to have more suspense & more development in Dexter's character. John Lithgow has to be one of the creepiest serial killer to ever grace a television show. I loved every second of this season!
  8. RaulM.
    Jan 11, 2010
    Best season YET. And that's saying a lot, considering Dexter has never had a bad season -- Season 3 was my least favorite, but even that was better than just about every show on television. A great show.
  9. JeffJohnson
    Oct 1, 2009
    Awesomesauce.
  10. JulieD.
    Sep 28, 2009
    This could be the best season yet for Dexter-bravo for bringing back Keith Carradine and to bringing on John Lithgow! Love the relationships at the office, too!
  11. AlexN.
    Sep 28, 2009
    The new season is off to a great start. The casting of Lithgow is genius. There is plenty going on to set the stage for a season full of excitement in what could've been a monotonous look at a serial killer's crack at fatherhood. Top 5 show on TV.
  12. JT
    Oct 3, 2009
    I didn't find Season 3 to be all that interesting but if the first episode is a vision of things to come, I think I'll be enjoying Season 4 even more than the first two.
  13. ZacB
    Oct 3, 2009
    Fourth Season, First episode.... jaw dropping. John Lithgow will give you nightmares. And a bit of cheek.
  14. MikeB.
    Oct 17, 2009
    This is one of the greatest shows I have ever seen. It goes deep so you can really get into it and it is the perfect show to just marathon the sh*t out of. I hope for many many more seasons and I just hate waiting for the episodes to air!
  15. AdamG
    Nov 30, 2009
    This is one of the best seasons of Dexter ever. The problem with the metacritic review system for TV shows is that they tend to only give the reviews only for the first couple episodes and, even though this season had a strong start it just keeps getting stronger. To the point that most the negative reviews actually don't make any sense when this season is viewed as a whole.
  16. SamE
    Dec 17, 2009
    Season 4 of Dexter is at a deeper more twisted place than any other season. In my opinion best season yet. Cannot wait for season 5 which I'm sure will be even better than last.
  17. SteveW
    Dec 17, 2009
    This season of Dexter starts off with a bang and the season finale will leave you breathless
  18. DanTheMan
    Dec 18, 2009
    I agree with some critics that the show has become too predictable, but the humour of this season has been top-notch. I have been a fan since the first season, and unfortunately I won't be watching the next season based on what happened in episode 12. It was beyond disappointing.
  19. NickP
    Dec 20, 2009
    I was starting to think the series was going downhill(just a little!!), but then I watched the first episode of season 4 and was hooked just like I was while watching season 1. It doesn't slow down either, by the end of the season I was begging for more Dexter!
  20. andyk
    Dec 20, 2009
    This season was wonderful. intriguing, disturbing, emotional, scary, all that i could have asked for. it was just amazing.
  21. MattyZ
    Dec 24, 2009
    It seemed at first to be completely predictable with Dexter going to kill the Trinity killer with just a few season lengthening twists thrown in (though the season was fantastic to begin with) but with the final episode my heart absolutely dropped to an ending that I did not expect once so ever. Will any season finale ever top that?
  22. Sep 22, 2010
    An instant favorite for fans of serial-killer drama and plot twists.
    Micheal C. Hall is also an amazing actor in this series.This season in my opinion the best one behind Season 2.
    Simply Awesome entertainment
  23. Oct 8, 2010
    i really enjoyed this season with dexter contending with a mirror image of himself. Rita is by fair a cow in this one and i cant stand any moment she is in it. i think deb's character is tired and old. and dotes was replaced with a lesser character. still good through and through and still kept me coming back for more
  24. Oct 13, 2010
    The weakest season so far as most of the side characters don't really enjoy any new storylines with the only saving grace really being the Trinity Killer played by John Lithgow who is show stealing this season. A few genuine shocks and surprises, Dexter still remains a top drama.
  25. Nov 2, 2010
    Season 4 picks up again improving from Season 3 which to me was the weakest season so far. This season we have a very interesting bad guy and a finale nobody saw coming.
  26. Nov 4, 2010
    This season of Dexter was still as brilliant as we've come to expect but with a few oversights that I feel need to be reflected in the review score. Our serial killer this season is an older man in his late 50's/early 60's yet the writers failed to take this into account in some of his murder scenes. His very first scene is with a 20 something woman in the bathroom. He's naked and unarmed,This season of Dexter was still as brilliant as we've come to expect but with a few oversights that I feel need to be reflected in the review score. Our serial killer this season is an older man in his late 50's/early 60's yet the writers failed to take this into account in some of his murder scenes. His very first scene is with a 20 something woman in the bathroom. He's naked and unarmed, she screams and is physically overpowered by him. This is unfortunately extremely unbelievable. Likelihood is, she could easily have fended him off (possibly hurting him in the process), call the police and have him arrested, there and then. End of storyline. His second victim is a woman in her 30's. He's unarmed and she's passively crying and begging. Again, she could easily have taken him down. I know I wouldn't be afraid of an unarmed old man. This victim voluntarily jumps to her death because he threatened her children. Huh? Why didn't she just kick him between the legs, whip out her mobile phone, take a photo, jump in her car and drive straight to the police station? On this point I think the writers have cast women (not in the police force) as pathetic, helpless, hapless victims. This is disappointing. In this season Rita is manipulative of Dexter's insecurities about being a good husband and father using this to make him toe the line. She's overbearing, controlling and ridiculously demanding and no-one seems to notice, not even Dexter. Our favorite serial killer, forensics splatter expert kowtowers to her daily without so much as a weak, whimper of protest. For me, this made her death at the end very welcome. Maybe season 5 will show a stronger and more independent Dexter. I'm hoping the writers made Rita unlikeable on purpose. I'm looking forward to seeing Season 5 and am hoping the writers address the roles of women outside the police force. Do they need to be perfect? No. But believable, yes. Expand
  27. Dec 17, 2010
    Season 3 could have concluded Dexters story as he sailed on into the sunset with a family he loves, and a dark side that's supplemented by righteousness. But such is the appreciation for reality above fantasy in the script, it keeps going, and in doing so loses none of it's momentum, gearing up for something mesmorisingly epic.

By the end, i could confidently say i'd never watched

By the end, i could confidently say i'd never watched anything better on the television than this delightful frightful show.
  28. Dec 19, 2010
    The best season yet of Dexter, performance of the year on TV from John Lithgow and the rest of the cast were not bad either. Amazing plot, superbly written and fantastically shot, this was in my opinion the best TV series of '09.
  29. Apr 8, 2011
    What's with these MORONS that keep saying that Dexter is the same thing over? That Dexter ALWAYS befriends a psycho and then has to kill him? That happen in ONLY two seasons. You guys need to pay attention, instead of mindlessly shouting out your dislike for a show that you can't just enjoy. This is my favorite season of Dexter. I really loved the return of a certain character and twistedWhat's with these MORONS that keep saying that Dexter is the same thing over? That Dexter ALWAYS befriends a psycho and then has to kill him? That happen in ONLY two seasons. You guys need to pay attention, instead of mindlessly shouting out your dislike for a show that you can't just enjoy. This is my favorite season of Dexter. I really loved the return of a certain character and twisted ways of a new one. But I will forever wear my tshirt in memory and always keep that certain someone in my heart! I MISS ************* I couldn't believe it. My mouth dropped wide open and I was in shock. As much as I hated the writers for doing that, I love them just as much. Very bold. Expand
  30. Dec 28, 2015
    Four seasons in and the formula shows no signs of growing stale. It doesn't brake much new ground, but the new changes to Dexter's personal and family life are just enough to keep things tense and enjoyable. Once again the greatest strength proves to be Dexter's struggle for normalcy while keeping his "dark passenger" satisfied.

This season begins to show that this quest of his might

This season begins to show that this quest of his might just be his downfall. A shocking conclusion hints at big changes being just around the horizon. Some of Dexter's secrets are brought out into the light. One particular aspect of the show I feel has been improved upon is James Remar's role as Dexter's deceased father. Dexter's use of him as a sort of screwed up moral compass, as well as his own subconscious trying to set him straight has never been more realized than it has been this season. This concept is used to give Dexter's conflicts and internal struggles the extra added oomph.

Season 4 keeps the formula going strong. Even better is that it hints at exciting things in the future. With a new rival at his job, Debra getting closer and closer to the truth, and a big finale that could just mean the beginning of the end for what we've come to expect of Dexter, season 4 is an exciting ride.

Thankfully, this season Dexter continues to play with our moral bearings, which is the show’s best quality.
    The series is as compulsively watchable as ever, with Dexter's marriage, stepchildren, newborn son and stifling suburban life complicating his leisure time.
    Dexter’s life as a suburban dad feels claustrophobic, and the show has become repetitive and predictable.