• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.9

1. Mar 19, 2014
    The most underrated season. The character of Lumen is excellent, the side plots between Deb/Quinn and Angel/LaGuerda are great, and the cult nature of the bad guy(s) is good. This is better written and more believable than ANY of the prior four seasons. People were so in love with the Trinity plot that they forgot to appreciate the great pacing and character development of Season 5.
  2. Sep 24, 2013
    The most underrated season of Dexter. This season revolves around the Fallout of last seasons finale. The main plot is that Dexter finds a women, who was raped and tortured by a group of people, he agrees to help her track down and kill them. This plot was fantastic. And one of th side plots revolves around a corrupt cop investigating Dexter. All of the plotlines in this season were great, but the main problem was none of them were resolved very well. But still a great, and vastly underrated season. Expand
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    Episode 1 is one my favorite television episodes of all time, from any series, and that's the basis of my 10/10 rating. The rest of the season continues most of the same themes, but I was only intermittently enamored with the Julia Stiles sequence.
  4. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching this season I feel like Dexter is becoming complete. When I thought they were out of ideas, they brought me the best season I could possibly imagine. This season is just amazing and keeps bringing you highlights.

The first episode of the season picks up right where last season ended. It's an extremely sad episode, when Dexter comes home and finds Rita dead in the bathtub, the moment didnt feel very sad, because of Dexter's soulless reaction, but afterwards when you see how Dexter copes with the death of Rita it shows a new side of Dexter. It shows us that he is becoming more like a human as time goes by, we even got to see him cry for the first time, and the start of the season were just very sad.

I think this season has a better plot then any earlier seasons of Dexter. Just so exiting how a gang of torturers, which also mostly is succsessfull buisness men in the social life has to at the same time protect themselves from Dexter & Lumen and the police. I cannot think of anything boring with this season, it has a great plot and a lot of cool new characters (which is gone now), it expresses new feelings, and filled with highlights. But I would appreciate a little more new environments ( the only negative). This is why Im gonna give this season a 9.5/10, and I say this is the best season of Dexter. The best episode in my opinion is episode 1. Best show ever & peace
  5. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 5 has without question the slowest start of any of the seasons. It pretty much takes unti the very end of the 3rd episode before anything happens. That's when Julia Stiles character (Lumen) is introduced, and it picks up the pace fairly quickly from there. Stiles does a very good job in a role that must have been tough to play. The central story revolving around Dexter and Lumen is pretty good, but it's certainly a big step back from the Trinity Killer in Season 4. The side stories get a little more interesting than in the past seasons. The show seems to be giving more of a focus to Deb, which is nice. Even Quinn's character develops quite a bit in this season which is something I didn't expect. He had been the weakest link in the cast in my opinion, but his character is getting more interesting. At times this show does get a little to soap-operaish. Deb's relatioships are getting very old (this time she's sleeping with Quinn) and predictable. The marriage between LaGuerda and Batista is also, predictably, heading in a troubling direction. By Dexter's standards, Season 5 was a slight dissapointment. It's nowhere near as good as Seasons 1, 2, or 4 and falls more in line with Season 3. However, Dexter is still better than just about anything else on television, and I'll be very excited to finally get caught up in Season 6. Expand
  6. Oct 1, 2011
    Killing off Rita was a fantastic move as she was just such a limiting character on our main Characters development. It really gave scope for Dexter to discover his own emotions and realize that he does feel. This realization is what enables him to develop a new relationship where he doesn't hold back the darkest parts of himself. He loses the code in emotional moments and we see our serial killer make mistakes, re-find himself and re-find his code. Brilliant season. Julia Stiles was wonderful as Lumen and I hope to see her return in future seasons. I am slightly concerned with the size 0 or size 00 sister who is looking unhealthy skinny. So much so, I cringed in her near nude scenes. YUK! Expand
  7. Apr 8, 2011
    This was my very least favorite season of Dexter. Very slow with a few surprises. But I love the growth of Dexter. This is the first and only season of Dexter that will receive anything but a 10. Season 6 needs to be KILLER!
  8. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This show is awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. I think the show has definitely brought it. We have seen Dexter go through so much. I don't know how anyone could say anything bad about this show. If you're not watching you need to.
  9. Mar 1, 2011
    Great show and season. I very much enjoy the cast, storyline and the tension. The entire series definitely deserves 10/10, with the season's I had some doubt, but still I'll reward it with 10/10.
  10. Jan 4, 2011
    I know a lot of shows... and I think at the moment this is the best one around. The makers really think trough their story and their characters. Its more than just entertaining.
  11. Nov 12, 2010
    Season 5 starts slow since it takes time for the main character (Dexter-Michael C.Hall) to digest the death of his wife.
    Dexter cannot take revenge for his wife that's what is eating him from the inside. After the introduction of new character Played by Julie Stiles the season takes the grip. You might still feel that we don't know Dexter well enough and he's willing to bend his Rules.

Season 5 might end as explosive as the 4th season. So Stay Tuned Every Sunday :D
  12. Nov 2, 2010
    So far this season shows great promise, it feels a lot like a mix of season 2 and season 3. I am very interested in Quinn and how he deals with Dexter and how that will end for him.
  13. Oct 20, 2010
    I'm cautiously optimistic that, after three episodes, the show hasn't jumped the shark. It must be difficult for the writers to keep the show interesting, because the character who was so strange and compelling in the first season is now so familiar. There's not as much of a reason to wonder what's going on in his head.
  14. Oct 19, 2010
    This season has started very strong following season 4's shocking finale and Michael C Hall's performance as Dexter in the opening two episodes has been his most disturbing yet as his lack of feelings really became apparent in his mannerisms and how he spoke. A great start especially since difficult times are obviously ahead; this should be good.
  15. Oct 11, 2010
    Season 3 of Dexter I thought was weak but the Trinity storyline in Season 4 well and truly made up for it short comings. Though still an excellent show I fear season 5 might be breaking away from the Dexter we love whos main aim is to kill the bad guys while it concentrates on him being a Dad and juggling routines (though nothing routine about serial killings). On the flip side the synopsis for this season and the new cast/charters being mentioned should hopefully make this a good one if they pull it off. Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2010
    Dexter plays a good "guilt trip" but we all know he's going to find a new love interest in the coming episodes. The flashbacks from Dexter's pernicious past add some real depth to the relationship he tried forming with Rita. It really adds some complexity to the angle, and proves that there is a lot more to Dexter than a pointy edge and a full hefty. Stellar kickoff indeed.
  17. Oct 2, 2010
    A incredible start for what will probably be another incredible season. I don't know how they manage to do this but every season is better than the one before. Amazing.
  18. Sep 28, 2010
    After the brutally shocking end to last years Dexter, I waited patiently for over nine months to see the follow up. And the results aren't disappointing.
  19. Sep 28, 2010
    Wow amazing! i feel like i went 3 rounds with Muhammad Ali. . I really didn't think it was possible for this show to get any better. Why can't i time travel into the future i seriously can't wait for the next episode.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 14, 2010
    The acting is what keeps the show addictive--particularly good is Julia Stiles. [29 Nov 2010, p.44]
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    It takes a while for this season to build up some steam--by the third episode, though, we're back in full murderous swing, with some gasp-inducing twist--and things stall whenever the focus shifts to subplots involving Dexter's police co-workers. But whenever Dexter is center stage, Dexter remains one of TV's most gripping dark entertainments.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dexter will be hard-pressed to match the big twists that punctuated last season, but the latest campaign is off to an impressive--and impressively unpredictable--start.