Dexter : Season 5

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
7.1

1. Nov 21, 2010
    i should preface this by saying that i was once a HUGE fan of this show, and continue to be a huge fan of its first two seasons. season 3 was weak, season 4 sucked me in again long enough to watch season 5, and as far as i can tell this seems to be a repeat of season 3. this show has just gone so far to destroy any suspension of disbelief it once had. it's become trite, plodding, and thei should preface this by saying that i was once a HUGE fan of this show, and continue to be a huge fan of its first two seasons. season 3 was weak, season 4 sucked me in again long enough to watch season 5, and as far as i can tell this seems to be a repeat of season 3. this show has just gone so far to destroy any suspension of disbelief it once had. it's become trite, plodding, and the writers seem to have completely lost sense of their central character. too much focus on secondary characters, as if anyone cares about Battista and LaGuerta's marriage troubles. Not even strong supporting characters like Quinn or Peter Weller's character can save this season. This show has become way too "Dexter-lite" and needs a jolt of energy to reinvigorate it. I say make season six the final season and have it end with him facing some sort of penalty for the crimes he's committed. Watch with caution, this is truly mediocre television. Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2010
    This soap opera is continuing it's downward slide. Season's 1 and 2 were exciting but since then things have become boring, predictable and way too far fetched.

The things that the Miami Metro Homicide know about Dexter already would certainly have landed him in jail after Rita's murder. I recommend Breaking Bad for those who want to watch a series that continues to improve every

I recommend Breaking Bad for those who want to watch a series that continues to improve every season. Dexter's writers and producers take note...
  3. Dec 19, 2011
    Lumen ruined this show. I'm glad it redeemed itself after such a predominantly garbage season. Lumen ruined the season, if not with anything else, but with the constant whiny faces she makes. It somewhat makes me sick.
  4. Jan 20, 2011
    Im a HUGE fan of the show,but this past season was such a disappointment.The new showrunners(Chip Johanssen) and the new writers had a great opportunity and blew it.The season started off kinda slow but picked up around episode 8 and looked to be headed for a strong finish,but the new showrunners didnt have the cojones in the finale to end the season with a bang.There were storylines thatIm a HUGE fan of the show,but this past season was such a disappointment.The new showrunners(Chip Johanssen) and the new writers had a great opportunity and blew it.The season started off kinda slow but picked up around episode 8 and looked to be headed for a strong finish,but the new showrunners didnt have the cojones in the finale to end the season with a bang.There were storylines that just disappeared without resolve(Santa Muerte case)and in the way they used the characters it was obvious that the Johanssen and the new writers had never seen the show before.If Johanssen hadnt been fired as showrunner,I probably wouldve given up on the show.Thankfully Showtime has put somebody who has been with the show for a long time(Scott Buck)in charge starting next season.Hopefully its better than this one. Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2012
    The first mediocre season of Dexter. I didn't like the villains, or Lumen. The finale was also predictable and probably pissed a lot of people off, if you know what I mean.
  6. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I used to be a big fan of the show because of it's clever ways of showing suspense and Dexter's situations of catching bad guys and all that. Season 5 was so boring. I couldn't watch it all the way through because I got so bored with it. In half of season 5 he's only killed a couple of people because he's too busy moping around about his wife being dead. I didn't come to Dexter to see a soap opera I came to see murder, mystery, and suspense. Expand

1. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 14, 2010
    The acting is what keeps the show addictive--particularly good is Julia Stiles. [29 Nov 2010, p.44]
    It takes a while for this season to build up some steam--by the third episode, though, we're back in full murderous swing, with some gasp-inducing twist--and things stall whenever the focus shifts to subplots involving Dexter's police co-workers. But whenever Dexter is center stage, Dexter remains one of TV's most gripping dark entertainments.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dexter will be hard-pressed to match the big twists that punctuated last season, but the latest campaign is off to an impressive--and impressively unpredictable--start.