• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.8

1. Mar 19, 2014
    The most underrated season. The character of Lumen is excellent, the side plots between Deb/Quinn and Angel/LaGuerda are great, and the cult nature of the bad guy(s) is good. This is better written and more believable than ANY of the prior four seasons. People were so in love with the Trinity plot that they forgot to appreciate the great pacing and character development of Season 5.
  2. Feb 21, 2014
    Dexter perdura no meio termo entre o genial e oclichê, usando a liderança carismática de Michael C. Hall elem matém os fãs ligados. Existe sempre a pergunta no ar como é que ele vai sair dessa?
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    A kind of disappointing season. Most of the episodes are filler but yet entertaining. It is a slow season to. But overall it ain't a bad season. It was entertaining for what it is. I am a big 'Dexter' fan so yeah, it's not perfect.
  4. Oct 19, 2013
    the fifth season of Dexter has not reached the foot of the amazing fourth season, but that does not mean she is a amazing season, it was a good season despite not having an ending as maddening as the fourth season.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    The most underrated season of Dexter. This season revolves around the Fallout of last seasons finale. The main plot is that Dexter finds a women, who was raped and tortured by a group of people, he agrees to help her track down and kill them. This plot was fantastic. And one of th side plots revolves around a corrupt cop investigating Dexter. All of the plotlines in this season were great, but the main problem was none of them were resolved very well. But still a great, and vastly underrated season. Expand
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Noooononono... I thought that by killing off Rita the show would change things up. Maybe a season dedicated to Dexter finding out who he was, going around, traveling. That's what I gladly accepted. But no. I loved the previous seasons. The first two were amazing, the third started slowly, but picked things up and I loved that one as well. The fourth was ok, but definetly overrated. But this season just wrapped itself nicely around a big bowl of dramatic unneeded And so I stopped watching Dexter. Expand
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    Still not short of suspense like the previous installments, but season 5 does happen to fall short in terms of genuinely well written drama. This is still an excellent suspense thriller, but unfortunately, Dexter takes the safer, more predictable route than we've grown accustomed to.
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season was very interesting in the way that Dexter was able to have a true and fairly sane partner in Lumen. Dexter and Lumen's dynamic with each other works really well on screen and she is a character that you really want to root for. The main problem with this season that makes it slightly weaker in comparison to previous seasons is that the subplots of this season just aren't quite as intriguing. Expand
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After the end of season 4, we needed a breather, and time to absorb what had happened, this season struck the right tone by spending the first few episodes doing just that. Dexter's struggles to connect with his humanity were done quite well.

Also, this season saw the "secondary" plotlines shine brighter-the Santa Muerte killings and LaGuerta's political posturing (after seeing this season, it is easier to understand the decision Debra made at the end of season 7). Those were fun to watch, especially during the sadness and loss that Dex himself was dealing with.

I liked Lumen a lot, a tortured woman out for revenge becomes Dexter's partner in crime. And while the final three episodes were exciting, there is just no topping the Trinity killer. Jordan Chase was just a typical sneering bad guy in a suit hamming it up. I never really got his motivation, and could not quite buy into what was behind his "evil" like I did with the well-developed Trinity killer. I guess he just likes watching women being tortured-but why?

That said, the scene when Debra made it to the camp just after Dex and Lumen dispatched with Jordan was very riveting, and I wonder if, somewhere in Deb's mind, she found out the truth about her brother then.

All in all, while nothing can touch the efforts of the previous year, this was a solid season, with a far inferior bad guy, but the secondary plotlines, as well as Dexter's relationship with Lumen, were high points.
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    Following the tragedy that occurred in last year’s finale season five's opening episodes see Dexter trying to comes to terms with his true feelings when, in the process of killing a known murderer, he is spotted by a young woman (Lumen) that has been imprisoned and beaten by the same man Dexter has just killed. It soon transpires that things are more complex than they at first seem and that Dexter's victim was not working alone.

Having failed to convince Lumen to leave the city he begins to realise that the he has a chance to help her and in some way make up for the tragedy he has experienced in his own life. As is usually the case in Dexter the way in which their relationship develops is brilliantly written and acted (Julia Stiles is superb as Lumen) and their attempt to track down everyone involved in the murders, and Lumens traumatic incident, makes for fascinating viewing.

As has been the case for the last few seasons however it continues to get harder and harder to believe that Dexter's secrets would remain undiscovered. In the past this has been easy to ignore thanks to the overall quality of the show but during season five there were perhaps a few too many occasions where he came close to being caught in the act only to escape at the last minute. The creator’s insistence on having 'self-contained' seasons is also becoming a little jarring with some events from previous seasons being totally ignored for the convenience of the plot. For example how can Deborah fall for Quinn so quickly after it was his girlfriend that killed Lundy?

Despite these quibbles Dexter remains one of the better dramas on TV, I just hope that season six can deal with some of the lingering plot threads and ensure that Dexter's actions don't continue to play out in a way that should surely get him caught.
  11. Nov 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I used to be a big fan of the show because of it's clever ways of showing suspense and Dexter's situations of catching bad guys and all that. Season 5 was so boring. I couldn't watch it all the way through because I got so bored with it. In half of season 5 he's only killed a couple of people because he's too busy moping around about his wife being dead. I didn't come to Dexter to see a soap opera I came to see murder, mystery, and suspense. Expand
  12. Nov 12, 2012
    It's tough for any show coming off a great season (Season 4 is regarded by most as the show's best season) to match that level of success the next season, I felt that they did a pretty solid job. It was different seeing Dexter deal with a victim turn partner in this season but I quite liked it though because it's far from the Dexter norm that we are all use to. It's a rather solid season.
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    The producers knew they couldn't best the marvelous 4th season of Dexter, but they could've done better than this. We are again left to watch only Dexter himself, but he's so good, that that's enough.
  14. Oct 28, 2012
    Julia Stiles is very good in this season, but with the last season being what it was, it was naturally going to be hard to meet its standards. Still though, Dexter dealing with the previous season's finale brings a very compelling note to the season.
  15. Jul 31, 2012
    Episode 1 is one my favorite television episodes of all time, from any series, and that's the basis of my 10/10 rating. The rest of the season continues most of the same themes, but I was only intermittently enamored with the Julia Stiles sequence.
  16. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching this season I feel like Dexter is becoming complete. When I thought they were out of ideas, they brought me the best season I could possibly imagine. This season is just amazing and keeps bringing you highlights.

The first episode of the season picks up right where last season ended. It's an extremely sad episode, when Dexter comes home and finds Rita dead in the bathtub, the moment didnt feel very sad, because of Dexter's soulless reaction, but afterwards when you see how Dexter copes with the death of Rita it shows a new side of Dexter. It shows us that he is becoming more like a human as time goes by, we even got to see him cry for the first time, and the start of the season were just very sad.

I think this season has a better plot then any earlier seasons of Dexter. Just so exiting how a gang of torturers, which also mostly is succsessfull buisness men in the social life has to at the same time protect themselves from Dexter & Lumen and the police. I cannot think of anything boring with this season, it has a great plot and a lot of cool new characters (which is gone now), it expresses new feelings, and filled with highlights. But I would appreciate a little more new environments ( the only negative). This is why Im gonna give this season a 9.5/10, and I say this is the best season of Dexter. The best episode in my opinion is episode 1. Best show ever & peace
  17. Apr 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 5 has without question the slowest start of any of the seasons. It pretty much takes unti the very end of the 3rd episode before anything happens. That's when Julia Stiles character (Lumen) is introduced, and it picks up the pace fairly quickly from there. Stiles does a very good job in a role that must have been tough to play. The central story revolving around Dexter and Lumen is pretty good, but it's certainly a big step back from the Trinity Killer in Season 4. The side stories get a little more interesting than in the past seasons. The show seems to be giving more of a focus to Deb, which is nice. Even Quinn's character develops quite a bit in this season which is something I didn't expect. He had been the weakest link in the cast in my opinion, but his character is getting more interesting. At times this show does get a little to soap-operaish. Deb's relatioships are getting very old (this time she's sleeping with Quinn) and predictable. The marriage between LaGuerda and Batista is also, predictably, heading in a troubling direction. By Dexter's standards, Season 5 was a slight dissapointment. It's nowhere near as good as Seasons 1, 2, or 4 and falls more in line with Season 3. However, Dexter is still better than just about anything else on television, and I'll be very excited to finally get caught up in Season 6. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2012
    The first mediocre season of Dexter. I didn't like the villains, or Lumen. The finale was also predictable and probably pissed a lot of people off, if you know what I mean.
  19. Dec 19, 2011
    Lumen ruined this show. I'm glad it redeemed itself after such a predominantly garbage season. Lumen ruined the season, if not with anything else, but with the constant whiny faces she makes. It somewhat makes me sick.
  20. Nov 7, 2011
    This season is too predictable and it's awful. Me being an huge fan had to force feed my eyeballs on this terrible season. Save yourself the time and don't bother watching it!
  21. Oct 1, 2011
    Killing off Rita was a fantastic move as she was just such a limiting character on our main Characters development. It really gave scope for Dexter to discover his own emotions and realize that he does feel. This realization is what enables him to develop a new relationship where he doesn't hold back the darkest parts of himself. He loses the code in emotional moments and we see our serial killer make mistakes, re-find himself and re-find his code. Brilliant season. Julia Stiles was wonderful as Lumen and I hope to see her return in future seasons. I am slightly concerned with the size 0 or size 00 sister who is looking unhealthy skinny. So much so, I cringed in her near nude scenes. YUK! Expand
  22. Sep 27, 2011
    This show continues to surprise me as to how watchable it is. Who could have imagined a serial killer being the hero? This season, like all the others, has a different "flavour" to it. It's not worse than the others, just different. Each season is worth watching, but you must accept the plot holes. They are everywhere, but so what?! My only criticisms of this season: 1. they no longer play great Cuban music between scenes ... the Latin beat did something special for previous seasons

2. they now have scenes where Dexter shows too much emotion, "exploding" in anger. No! No! No! He should remain a sociopath, detatched and devoid of feelings. The anger he shows does not add up with the character we are accustomed to know. The writers should remember his need for killing people is not because he wants to be a vigilante ... rather vigilantism is simply a safer vessel so that he does not get caught satisfying his need to slice people up.
  23. Aug 20, 2011
    The fifth season of Dexter is a mixed bag. On one hand you have plenty of very solid and outstanding performances by the regular cast as well as Julia Stiles and Peter Weller as well as a nice revenge story, and on the other you have a plot that in many ways only goes about 3/4 way to fully resolving anything. I very much enjoyed viewing it and was sucked in as much as any other season of Dexter but in hindsight there are just so many plot points that just get kind of dropped after another thing comes up. By the last episode everything ties up so nicely but in part as a result of so much stuff being purposefully unresolved a couple episodes back. Additionally Julia Stiles character reminds me too much of what was going on in season 3 for me to not comment on and the office romances are starting to remind me of a soap-opera.
    That all being said the revenge angle this season is a bit of a change of pace and the show has plenty of great memorable moments. However, overall the show is losing impact and while I enjoyed watching this season if they don't change the formula Showtime will have accomplished the uneasy task of making a boring show about serial killers.
  24. Aug 17, 2011
    A bit worse than forth, this season is a very even spectacle of blood and violence. This time Dexter does more of a detective work, with a twist ofcourse. It picks up fast, while the story takes a big wide turn from his personal problems, to one huge "external" one. This is one of those seasons you think the series is going to and end. Dexter is in so much trouble that he struggles to manage them all at once, and it takes a lot of luck not to get caught this time. To assist him we get a very interesting antagonist who makes sure the episodes get as gruesome as possible. The thing I didn`t like about this series is that mostly the 11th episode was THE final one, with 12th being somewhat of an epilogue. Well this season tops right at the end with a huge bang, though not so good as in season 4 and 1. Expand
  25. Aug 3, 2011
    This season is living roof that killing off Rita was a huge mistake.

Judging by the interviews given by the writers that decision was made during shooting. Judging by the emotionally vacuous, often implausible and humour-free fifth season it's clear that prioritisng shock value over overall plot narrative was a mistake.

Rita forced Dexter to confront his dark passenger, allowing viewers
    to imagine the redemptive/revelatory moment that made for far more gritty emotional tension. In this season Hall's previously good acting can't hide poor writing and poor direction. The narrative is clunky, the silence on last seasons loose ends (eg Trinity visiting a slack mouthed Dexter at work infront of a full office, no one remembering trinity's face as they all witnessed his man hunt hours later), weak anf boring subplots, and also Debs character acts beyond the realms of belief to name a few things...

Dexter's dealings with Cody and Astor are just too painful to watch - and in general it's all tragedy. Without the whimsical humour that gave seasons 1 and 2 an edge, and made Dexter's character compelling; and without reliance on the code that raised so many moral dilemmas - I really wouldn't waste your time
    Watching this. So disappointed with the Rita killing now.
  26. Jun 28, 2011
    After Lithgow's incredible performance in Season 4, this season could only go downhill. Luckily it doesn't go too far downhill. But it does require similar levels of suspension of disbelief as Season 3, which is to say, way too ... much disbelief. At least at the end of the season, Dexter is ready to rumble on the path that Seasons 1 and 2 set forth. Best thing about this season is that it leaves you looking forward to Season 6. Expand
  27. Jun 6, 2011
    This season was an interesting change for the show. The past attempt at giving Dexter an equally damaged lover (a la Season two) was not extraordinary as I've come to expect from the show. This season was done much better, believably easing Lumen (ridiculous name though) into the role instead of just randomly forcing her in. The villain(s) in this season were great, though I wish we found out more of what happened in the backstory between Jordan and his cadre. The best thing about this season is how elegantly everything came together. You see the plot developing slowly over like half the season until you start to see the big picture. Dexter pushed the suspense limit again this season, those on the edge of your seat episode endings. These parts are some of the best moments in Dexter. It builds to a point where you're franticly thinking "He's screwed! How can this be?!" and somehow Dex finds a way out and just leaves you breathless. My only problem with this season is Julia Stiles. She just wasn't the most believable Lumen, I'm sure there was a more undiscovered actress who could've done a better job and I feel like they just cast Stiles for star value. All in all this is a great season of Dexter, much better than the second or third, but not quite as amazing as the fourth. Though it will be incredibly hard to top Lithgow as Trinity, a brilliant villain played by an amazing actor. One of the most deserved Emmys last year. Expand
  28. Apr 8, 2011
    This was my very least favorite season of Dexter. Very slow with a few surprises. But I love the growth of Dexter. This is the first and only season of Dexter that will receive anything but a 10. Season 6 needs to be KILLER!
  29. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This show is awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. I think the show has definitely brought it. We have seen Dexter go through so much. I don't know how anyone could say anything bad about this show. If you're not watching you need to.
  30. Mar 1, 2011
    Great show and season. I very much enjoy the cast, storyline and the tension. The entire series definitely deserves 10/10, with the season's I had some doubt, but still I'll reward it with 10/10.
  31. Jan 20, 2011
    Im a HUGE fan of the show,but this past season was such a disappointment.The new showrunners(Chip Johanssen) and the new writers had a great opportunity and blew it.The season started off kinda slow but picked up around episode 8 and looked to be headed for a strong finish,but the new showrunners didnt have the cojones in the finale to end the season with a bang.There were storylines that just disappeared without resolve(Santa Muerte case)and in the way they used the characters it was obvious that the Johanssen and the new writers had never seen the show before.If Johanssen hadnt been fired as showrunner,I probably wouldve given up on the show.Thankfully Showtime has put somebody who has been with the show for a long time(Scott Buck)in charge starting next season.Hopefully its better than this one. Expand
  32. Jan 4, 2011
    I know a lot of shows... and I think at the moment this is the best one around. The makers really think trough their story and their characters. Its more than just entertaining.
  33. Dec 15, 2010
    This season tries to be big and just ends up being silly. It becomes almost comical that no one connects Dexter to the Trinity killer from season 4. Major holes in the plot line, and all around bad acting make this season only watchable by those with a Dexter addiction. How can you take the show seriously when the main plot of the season revolves around blood that Dexter found in a rental truck that then leads him to a group of serial rapist/killers. This season was just a little too 'scooby doo' for it's own good. Expand
  34. Nov 21, 2010
    i should preface this by saying that i was once a HUGE fan of this show, and continue to be a huge fan of its first two seasons. season 3 was weak, season 4 sucked me in again long enough to watch season 5, and as far as i can tell this seems to be a repeat of season 3. this show has just gone so far to destroy any suspension of disbelief it once had. it's become trite, plodding, and the writers seem to have completely lost sense of their central character. too much focus on secondary characters, as if anyone cares about Battista and LaGuerta's marriage troubles. Not even strong supporting characters like Quinn or Peter Weller's character can save this season. This show has become way too "Dexter-lite" and needs a jolt of energy to reinvigorate it. I say make season six the final season and have it end with him facing some sort of penalty for the crimes he's committed. Watch with caution, this is truly mediocre television. Expand
  35. Nov 12, 2010
    Season 5 starts slow since it takes time for the main character (Dexter-Michael C.Hall) to digest the death of his wife.
    Dexter cannot take revenge for his wife that's what is eating him from the inside. After the introduction of new character Played by Julie Stiles the season takes the grip. You might still feel that we don't know Dexter well enough and he's willing to bend his Rules.

Season 5 might end as explosive as the 4th season. So Stay Tuned Every Sunday :D
  36. Nov 2, 2010
    So far this season shows great promise, it feels a lot like a mix of season 2 and season 3. I am very interested in Quinn and how he deals with Dexter and how that will end for him.
  37. Oct 31, 2010
    The novelty might have worn off, but even the slightly repetitive Dexter S5 is still much better than 90% of other network and cable shows. The writing rings emotionally true and the cast is very comfortable in their roles. Most importantly, viewers are still made to understand and care about the characters, which is a rarity these days.
  38. Oct 20, 2010
    I'm cautiously optimistic that, after three episodes, the show hasn't jumped the shark. It must be difficult for the writers to keep the show interesting, because the character who was so strange and compelling in the first season is now so familiar. There's not as much of a reason to wonder what's going on in his head.
  39. Oct 19, 2010
    This season has started very strong following season 4's shocking finale and Michael C Hall's performance as Dexter in the opening two episodes has been his most disturbing yet as his lack of feelings really became apparent in his mannerisms and how he spoke. A great start especially since difficult times are obviously ahead; this should be good.
  40. Oct 11, 2010
    Season 3 of Dexter I thought was weak but the Trinity storyline in Season 4 well and truly made up for it short comings. Though still an excellent show I fear season 5 might be breaking away from the Dexter we love whos main aim is to kill the bad guys while it concentrates on him being a Dad and juggling routines (though nothing routine about serial killings). On the flip side the synopsis for this season and the new cast/charters being mentioned should hopefully make this a good one if they pull it off. Expand
  41. Oct 10, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dexter is still an awesome show but he really needs to get back to hunting down the bad guys and quit dwelling on his own mistakes so much. He used to be confident in what he did but now he questions everything he does. I don't really want to see Dexter on a "Road to Recovery" I want to see him do what drew me to the series in the first place. Dealing with his Dark Passenger in the only way he knows how to.

Rita is gone and the kids have gone to live with the Grandparents. Fine. Now lets deal with what needs to be dealt with. Bad guys. If there is one thing about Serial Killers it's that it can't be cured so Dexter is going to be this way the rest of his life. Let's see some episodes dealing with that. I understand that it's his fault that Rita is dead for not killing trinity earlier, but that's over and done with. She was his weak link anyway. It was her whining that Dexter go to rehab and got the whole "Lila" fiasco started. So Doakes got dead from all that. I want to see how he gets out of the mess he created when they discover that he was a visitor at Trinity's house several times including Thanksgiving.

And for goodness sakes get rid of Quinn. He is a poor replacement for Doakes as a Detective who is "Suspicious" of Dexter. At least Doakes wasn't crooked.

Still, Dexter delivers every week and I wouldn't miss an episode for anything.
  42. Oct 3, 2010
    This soap opera is continuing it's downward slide. Season's 1 and 2 were exciting but since then things have become boring, predictable and way too far fetched.

The things that the Miami Metro Homicide know about Dexter already would certainly have landed him in jail after Rita's murder.

I recommend Breaking Bad for those who want to watch a series that continues to improve every
    season. Dexter's writers and producers take note... Expand
  43. Oct 2, 2010
    Dexter plays a good "guilt trip" but we all know he's going to find a new love interest in the coming episodes. The flashbacks from Dexter's pernicious past add some real depth to the relationship he tried forming with Rita. It really adds some complexity to the angle, and proves that there is a lot more to Dexter than a pointy edge and a full hefty. Stellar kickoff indeed.
  44. Oct 2, 2010
    A incredible start for what will probably be another incredible season. I don't know how they manage to do this but every season is better than the one before. Amazing.
  45. Sep 28, 2010
    After the brutally shocking end to last years Dexter, I waited patiently for over nine months to see the follow up. And the results aren't disappointing.
  46. Sep 28, 2010
    Wow amazing! i feel like i went 3 rounds with Muhammad Ali. . I really didn't think it was possible for this show to get any better. Why can't i time travel into the future i seriously can't wait for the next episode.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Dec 14, 2010
    The acting is what keeps the show addictive--particularly good is Julia Stiles. [29 Nov 2010, p.44]
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    It takes a while for this season to build up some steam--by the third episode, though, we're back in full murderous swing, with some gasp-inducing twist--and things stall whenever the focus shifts to subplots involving Dexter's police co-workers. But whenever Dexter is center stage, Dexter remains one of TV's most gripping dark entertainments.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dexter will be hard-pressed to match the big twists that punctuated last season, but the latest campaign is off to an impressive--and impressively unpredictable--start.